Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean (4210 Views)

Toothpaste Dispenser + Toothbrush Holder. / How Some Wives Are Continually Raped But Can't Speak Up / Different Uses Of Toothpaste. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2015
budiliscious:

Do you speak/write in British English or American English? My advice; please stick to one. Use 'Yes' instead of 'yeah'.

I hope you have just learnt something. wink

smiley Well this is an informal context, so the rules are quite relaxed.

In addition, more than half the British population say 'yeah'.

1 Like

Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by budiliscious(f): 3:27pm On Jul 18, 2015
British English: Yes

American English: Yeah

If you know some Britons who say 'yeah' instead of 'yes', it does not change the standard. It is your responsibility to correct them to use language appropriately just as you choose to do here on Nairaland.
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 4:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
budiliscious:
British English: Yes

American English: Yeah

If you know some Britons who say 'yeah' instead of 'yes', it does not change the standard. It is your responsibility to correct them to use language appropriately just as you choose to do here on Nairaland.

Lol

It was meant to be informal - last time I checked, that was normal.

I repeat "yeah" is not exclusively American.

Thanks though, for your insightful suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by KanwuliaJara: 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2015
Is it a Lexxus, Jeep or LEXXUS JEEP

AMARDA JEEP nko? angry
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 7:14pm On Jul 18, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Is it a Lexxus, Jeep or LEXXUS JEEP

AMARDA JEEP nko? angry

"Lexus Jeep" is the precise description.

"Nissan Armada" is the better description.
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by KanwuliaJara: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2015
Phonetikkks:

"Lexus Jeep" is the precise description.

"Nissan Armada" is the better description.

http://www.lexus.com/models

Did you see anything like Lexxxxxxxus JEEP here? undecided

http://m.jeep.com/en/mobile/home.html?ref=/

Did you see any JEEP LEXUS here? undecided
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by budiliscious(f): 7:20pm On Jul 18, 2015
All diaper is not Pampers. grin
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

http://www.lexus.com/models

Did you see anything like Lexxxxxxxus JEEP here? undecided

As much as I know, "Lexus" is only the brand name - I have seen cars that bear Lexus but aren't jeeps. You wanted a specific description and I gave you one. God bless!
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by KanwuliaJara: 7:24pm On Jul 18, 2015
VULCANIZER not FUCKANIZER! cheesy
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 7:24pm On Jul 18, 2015
budiliscious:
All diaper is not Pampers. grin

Yeah, nice one.
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 7:26pm On Jul 18, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
VULCANIZER not FUCKANIZER! cheesy

smiley true
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by KanwuliaJara: 7:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
Phonetikkks:

As much as I know, "Lexus" is only the brand name - I have seen cars that bear Lexus but aren't jeeps. You wanted a specific description and I gave you one. God bless!

I think you missed the point!

Any SUV is a JEEP to NIGERIANS!

Lexus IS a brand.
Jeep IS a brand.

Why do NIGERIANS combine BOTH? undecided

According you YOU, the precise definition is "Lexus Jeep"? undecided
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 7:57pm On Jul 18, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

I think you missed the point!

Any SUV is a JEEP to NIGERIANS!

Lexus IS a brand.
Jeep IS a brand.

Why do NIGERIANS combine BOTH? undecided

According you YOU, the precise definition is "Lexus Jeep"? undecided

You weren't this clear in your question, but I have learned from you that Jeep is a brand as well. Nice!
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by KanwuliaJara: 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2015
Phonetikkks:

You weren't this clear in your question, but I have learned from you that Jeep is a brand as well. Nice!

Eheeeeeeen nauuuuu!
Me sef did not know, so I had to find out!
We are both wiser now.

*shaking hands* cool
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2015
Phonetikkks:
Hello Family! Hope all is well with you?

Some common phrases I've heard people say that are quite hilarious (I must say). Please avoid confusing "brand name" of items for their general names. It doesn't show how educated we've come. Here they are:

My favourite maggi cube is Knorr

•Knorr and Maggi are separate brands entirely. What you should say instead is "my favourite seasoning cube is Knorr"

The best maclean in the market now is Close-up maclean

•There's no such thing as "close-up maclean", it's either you mean Close-up, or you mean Maclean. Except, of course, you combine toothpastes lol.

Madam, apart from indomie, do you sell any other indomie?

• What exactly do you mean? Maybe other brands like Golden penny, O! and Mimi, right? Then what you should say is "do you sell other noodles apart from indomie".

Personally, I don't drink soft drinks without eating oily snacks undecided

•What's oily snacks? If you mean egg roll, doughnut, buns and puff puff, then the right word to use is pastries. "I don't enjoy soft drinks without a pastry" is what you should say.

Buy milk N150, and tea N100, put inside the akamu

•What's tea? Milo, Ovaltine and Bournvita are called beverages, not tea. Tea means something completely different (e.g Lipton tea bags, Top-tea bags).

Eating slice bread without ingredients in the middle is boring cry

•Ingredients like what? Okay I get it.......you mean (butter) margarine, jam and mayonnaise, right? Well they are called bread spreads.

My perfect breakfast is all those you soak inside plate

•Guessing you mean cornflakes, Golden mourn, Quaker oat, Fruit 'n' Fibre, custard, Rice Krispies, and garri? Well we call them cereal.

Lastly,

Every shirt is not Polo

Every insecticide is not Raid

Every phone is not android

And, every beef roll is not Gala!

I hope you learned something. Have a good evening and don't forget your sense of humour grin. God bless!

Follow "phonetikkks" for more lessons on proper speaking.
https://www.nairaland.com/2450443/fine-madam-oga-why-bad

hmmn you're making sense
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Chestar5(f): 9:02am On Jul 21, 2015
Every milk is not cowbell cool Every tomato paste is not derica cheesy
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 21, 2015
Phonetikkks:
Hello Family! Hope all is well with you?

Some common phrases I've heard people say that are quite hilarious (I must say). Please avoid confusing "brand name" of items for their general names. It doesn't show how educated we've come. Here they are:

My favourite maggi cube is Knorr

•Knorr and Maggi are separate brands entirely. What you should say instead is "my favourite seasoning cube is Knorr"

The best maclean in the market now is Close-up maclean

•There's no such thing as "close-up maclean", it's either you mean Close-up, or you mean Maclean. Except, of course, you combine toothpastes lol.

Madam, apart from indomie, do you sell any other indomie?

• What exactly do you mean? Maybe other brands like Golden penny, O! and Mimi, right? Then what you should say is "do you sell other noodles apart from indomie".

Personally, I don't drink soft drinks without eating oily snacks undecided

•What's oily snacks? If you mean egg roll, doughnut, buns and puff puff, then the right word to use is pastries. "I don't enjoy soft drinks without a pastry" is what you should say.

Buy milk N150, and tea N100, put inside the akamu

•What's tea? Milo, Ovaltine and Bournvita are called beverages, not tea. Tea means something completely different (e.g Lipton tea bags, Top-tea bags).

Eating slice bread without ingredients in the middle is boring cry

•Ingredients like what? Okay I get it.......you mean (butter) margarine, jam and mayonnaise, right? Well they are called bread spreads.

My perfect breakfast is all those you soak inside plate

•Guessing you mean cornflakes, Golden mourn, Quaker oat, Fruit 'n' Fibre, custard, Rice Krispies, and garri? Well we call them cereal.

Lastly,

Every shirt is not Polo

Every insecticide is not Raid

Every phone is not android

And, every beef roll is not Gala!

I hope you learned something. Have a good evening and don't forget your sense of humour grin. God bless!

Follow "phonetikkks" for more lessons on proper speaking.
https://www.nairaland.com/2450443/fine-madam-oga-why-bad

Gbam!
The gods has spoken.

I posted something similar on my fb wall months ago and I was nearly tied to the stake,stoned with rotten fruits and burned alive cheesy

Comments were coming from different angles.
"So you think you know everything en"
"For your mind,na u sabi pass"
"Idi.ot Cus you manage dey go school abi"

Lol what supposed to be a joke and education turned a harvest of insult grin
I just smiled at their ignorance and continued living my life off online of Cus. tongue

Well,this is an eye opener... I do make some mistakes related to these but not this level tho cheesy
Thanks for sharing,I hope my fb friends don't catch you here cheesy
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 11:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
Chestar5:
Every milk is not cowbell cool
Every tomato paste is not derica cheesy

Lol Yes true. Nice one.
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 11:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
Kizmarty:

Gbam!
The gods has spoken.

I posted something similar on my fb wall months ago and I was nearly tied to the stake,stoned with rotten fruits and burned alive cheesy

Comments were coming from different angles.
"So you think you know everything en"
"For your mind,na u sabi pass"
"Idi.ot Cus you manage dey go school abi"

Lol what supposed to be a joke and education turned a harvest of insult grin
I just smiled at their ignorance and continued living my life off online of Cus. tongue

Well,this is an eye opener... I do make some mistakes related to these but not this level tho cheesy
Thanks for sharing,I hope my fb friends don't catch you here cheesy

No they won't lol, I'll be long gone! Haha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 22, 2015
Phonetikkks:

No they won't lol, I'll be long gone! Haha

Hahaha
I guess you're an usain bolt wink
Re: Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean by Phonetikkks: 7:59pm On Nov 06, 2015
Hope this helps...

(1) (2) (Reply)

(SOLVED) This Drained Me Emotionally.pls Solve. / Negative Effect Of Poor Parenting / Ladies, If He Loves You But Doesn't Want Marriage, Would You Stay Anyway?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.