Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,310 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo (1292 Views)

Fayose: "I Chose Kolapo Olusola To Succeed Me In Line With God's Leading" / IBB, Shehu Yar’adua & Nyako In Makkah For Hajj, 1989 / I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by MuguliciousMUGU: 1:08am On Jul 16, 2015
FOrmer President Olusegun Obasanjo said on Wednesday that he chose the late former President Umaru Yar’ Adua as his successor because the others who wanted the post were corrupt.
Obasanjo said one of the people who wanted to succeed him in 2007 was “stinkingly corrupt” and that the only way he (Obasanjo) could justify himself before man and God was to go for Yar’Adua, who, he said, was the only one among the contenders then who was not corrupt.
The former President, who spoke in an interview with a private television station,Channels Television, in Abeokuta, did not mention the ‘corrupt’ Yar’Adua rivals.
Among the prominent presidential hopefuls in the Peoples Democratic Party in 2007 were Obasanjo’s deputy, Abubakar Atiku; and ex-Governor of Rivers State, Peter Odili.
Atiku later abandoned the PDP to contest the presidential election on the platform of the defunct Action Congress while Odili’s ambition fizzled out with the nomination of Yar’Adua.
The AC later metamorphosed into the Action Congress of Nigeria, which later merged with the Congress for Progressive Change and the All Nigeria Peoples Party to form the now ruling All Progressives Congress.
Obasanjo’s choice of successor died on May 5, 2010 from heart-related ailments. Many condemned Obasanjo for choosing a man who was manifestly sick to lead the country.
But in theChannelsinterview, Obasanjo said he only acted based on the information made available to him.
He said, “Even if you take your son as your successor, you are not sure of what he will do when he gets there. Don’t ever kid yourself.
“What do I know about any successor? What he presents. When he gets there, he presents it differently.
“We did our best, but if you say our best is not good enough, I will say, when it comes to your turn, do better.
“With all the people that are available for successor, what we came up with was about the best that we could think of at that time.
“One of those who wanted to do the job came to me and said, ‘Sir, I like your job, but I cannot do it the way you are doing it.’ Now, if he had told me that, should I then come and say, ‘okay, come, let me give you the job?’ He had told me that, ‘I like your job, but look, the way you are doing it, I haven’t got the stamina to do it that way.’ Then, what do you expect me to do?
“Or the one that I know that, oh!, this one, before he gets the job, he’s stinkingly corrupt. Now will I be able to defend myself before God and man if with what I know I give this job or I encourage the man to have this job?”
http://www.punchng.com/news/i-chose-yaradua-because-others-were-corrupt-obasanjo/
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:09am On Jul 16, 2015

You read the heading and the topic, didn't you? It felt awkward coming from Obasanjo, right?

Yeah, that awkward feeling when a paralyzed man who's been confined to a wheelchair all his life claims he can train a man to become a 100-metres gold medalist.

That look on your face now, I'm wearing it too.

This man is suffering from selective amnesia!

2 Likes

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:09am On Jul 16, 2015

Even his daughter termed him as the cause of Nigeria's problems in her open letter to him.

She knows him more than we do so what more proof do we need?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 16, 2015
when will this old fool keep quiet?
as if his hands are clean
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 16, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

bro, its like u n introvert has sth in common
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by kodded(m): 1:12am On Jul 16, 2015
undecided
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 16, 2015
yaradua brought abt d great Gej into power.
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Hadone(m): 1:15am On Jul 16, 2015
True talk. My dear state always produce leaders with focus. But instead of us to allow them to display their talent & wisdom for the wellbeing of U & I as Nigerians, here we're on NL & other Social Media networks mocking them YAR'DULL, DAURADULLARD, BABA ONE CHANCE and many more other names. We need to encourage our leaders to give the best from the wealth of experience and knowledge Allah blessed them with. I'm in PDP politically, but the fact still remain that we Nigerians need to CHANGE if we really need Nigeria to prosper.

1 Like

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Dbrainiac1(m): 1:15am On Jul 16, 2015
brooklyn49:
Jwablessness
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 1:17am On Jul 16, 2015
Dbrainiac1:
Jwablessness
tah! I asked u?
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by illiad: 1:17am On Jul 16, 2015
YORUBA MAN TALKING ABOUT CORRUPTION EVEN WHEN WE ALL KNOW ITS THEIR SURNAME

THIEVE OBJ

1 Like

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:20am On Jul 16, 2015
brooklyn49:

Certainly not. I don't brag about being the first to comment like its a frigging trophy.

I'll leave that to the kidults.smiley
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 1:24am On Jul 16, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Certainly not. I don't brag about being the first to comment like its a frigging trophy.

I'll leave that to the kidults.smiley
I biliv u...but u enjoy the throne n the publicity in its control? ryt?
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by faray: 1:25am On Jul 16, 2015
ok
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Bollove: 1:27am On Jul 16, 2015
Obasanjo bleeped Nigeria so hard by singlehandedly anointing Yar'Adua and GEJ ..... It is beyond his power to decide the next president for the whole of Nigeria

Obasanjo destroyed INEC through Maurice Iwu which hitherto produced leaders that destroyed every little things Obasanjo so achieved in his eight years.

The only Institution that can take Nigeria to the next level of Historic Development and Transformation is INEC thus any Good Administration must ensure capable hands are appointed to manned our golden egg that decides the people's choice........ Nigerians won't vote themselves bad leaders but when we have INEC that is not Independent and Unbiased everything so achieved in our electoral processes would again be destroyed !!

1. Shame on Obasanjo for Politics of Do or Die affair ... I think GEJ has shown Baba what he should have done in 2007 instead of installing them, Baba should have ensure they are elected

2. Kudos to GEJ for ensuring his political ambition doesn't worth the blood of any Nigeria , Ensuring Independence of INEC, conceding defeat despite Orubebe and showing Nigerians what INEC should be cheesy !!!

3. Buhari , am your fan , your turn to keep our electoral body Independent and unbias ..... That Hajiya Zakari(INEC acting Chairman) was a bad political move from Buhari's Administration, JEGA handed over to Wali,Presidency shouldn't have interfere in INEC internal administrative processes ... Na small small zhit dey happen

when people's choice prevails, Nigeria would experience development but when it happened the other way round, Nigeria would go backward .... The mistake OBJ did was to singlehandedly decide for all Nigerians instead of allowing us to decide for ourselves through an Independent and unbias INEC
With Maurice Iwu, Nigerians suffered Defeat .... ThanKGod for JEGA for restoring the hope

Any Administration that tampered with INEC's independence should be damned ... INEC is the last choice of we Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:29am On Jul 16, 2015
brooklyn49:

I biliv u...but u enjoy the throne n the publicity in its control? ryt?

Publicity? Even dogs trend on Twitter.

FTC isn't a prize. Bragging or craving it depicts one as being doltish, idle and simpleton-esque.

Good morning, by the way.
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by babajero(m): 1:45am On Jul 16, 2015
Obasanjo should lock up his mouth, he chosed yar'adua to compensate him for the help his brother gave him in prison, and somebody he could easily manipulate, GEJ was the only politician who could cut him to size and let him know that nigeria is nobody's private estate and that is why he is still bitter till today. And the same thing will still happppen to tinubu.

1 Like

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Chiefpriest1(m): 1:45am On Jul 16, 2015
I kind of like obasanjo, but his greatest undoing was the two successors he imposed on Nigeria.

Obasanjo at critical times, display brilliant flashes of leadership, but then, you can't be a true leader if you haven't groomed a good successor.

He probably looked at their perceived anti-corruption credentias without considering their capacity.

I will never vote Atiku for example, but I know he has incredible capacity to deliver despite his perceived corrupt tendencies.

Obasanjo was narrow-minded in his choice of successors

1 Like

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by denedene(m): 1:47am On Jul 16, 2015
coming from a silent corrupt ex president? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Wildrage: 1:54am On Jul 16, 2015
People like Obasanjo have an inflated opinion of their own wisdom. Why not allow Nigerians decide for themselves instead of playing God and thinking you know it all. Why do we call it democracy if someone can appropriate the wisdom of a whole nation and assume he knows better than all of us. It's because of Obasanjo, Tinubu and their likes we are where we are today. People who assume they can play the role of God

2 Likes

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Okeycima: 1:56am On Jul 16, 2015
Chie!!! We don suffer well well for this country.....SO OBJ U WAN TELL US SAY APART FROM U AND YARADUA EVER BODY ELSE IS CORRUPT IN pdp?
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Bollove: 2:06am On Jul 16, 2015
Wildrage:
People like Obasanjo have an inflated opinion of their own wisdom. Why not allow Nigerians decide for themselves instead of playing God and thinking you know it all. Why do we call it democracy if someone can appropriate the wisdom of a whole nation and assume he knows better than all of us. It's because of Obasanjo, Tinubu and their likes we are where we are today. People who assume they can play the role of God
Exactly the same thing Tinubu wanted to be doing in the National Politics but ThanKGod for the likes of Saraki/Dogara TKO !!

GODFATHERISM should fade in Nigeria ..
If you are a Godfather, you must not be seen nor heard else, your candidate no matter how qualified would lose !!!

2 Likes

Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Bekwarra(m): 2:33am On Jul 16, 2015
MuguliciousMUGU:
FOrmer President Olusegun Obasanjo said on Wednesday that he chose the late former President Umaru Yar’ Adua as his successor because the others who wanted the post were corrupt.
Obasanjo said one of the people who wanted to succeed him in 2007 was “stinkingly corrupt” and that the only way he (Obasanjo) could justify himself before man and God was to go for Yar’Adua, who, he said, was the only one among the contenders then who was not corrupt.
The former President, who spoke in an interview with a private television station,Channels Television, in Abeokuta, did not mention the ‘corrupt’ Yar’Adua rivals.
Among the prominent presidential hopefuls in the Peoples Democratic Party in 2007 were Obasanjo’s deputy, Abubakar Atiku; and ex-Governor of Rivers State, Peter Odili.
Atiku later abandoned the PDP to contest the presidential election on the platform of the defunct Action Congress while Odili’s ambition fizzled out with the nomination of Yar’Adua.
The AC later metamorphosed into the Action Congress of Nigeria, which later merged with the Congress for Progressive Change and the All Nigeria Peoples Party to form the now ruling All Progressives Congress.
Obasanjo’s choice of successor died on May 5, 2010 from heart-related ailments. Many condemned Obasanjo for choosing a man who was manifestly sick to lead the country.
But in theChannelsinterview, Obasanjo said he only acted based on the information made available to him.
He said, “Even if you take your son as your successor, you are not sure of what he will do when he gets there. Don’t ever kid yourself.
“What do I know about any successor? What he presents. When he gets there, he presents it differently.
“We did our best, but if you say our best is not good enough, I will say, when it comes to your turn, do better.
“With all the people that are available for successor, what we came up with was about the best that we could think of at that time.
“One of those who wanted to do the job came to me and said, ‘Sir, I like your job, but I cannot do it the way you are doing it.’ Now, if he had told me that, should I then come and say, ‘okay, come, let me give you the job?’ He had told me that, ‘I like your job, but look, the way you are doing it, I haven’t got the stamina to do it that way.’ Then, what do you expect me to do?
“Or the one that I know that, oh!, this one, before he gets the job, he’s stinkingly corrupt. Now will I be able to defend myself before God and man if with what I know I give this job or I encourage the man to have this job?”
http://www.punchng.com/news/i-chose-yaradua-because-others-were-corrupt-obasanjo/
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 2:39am On Jul 16, 2015
Obj and Gej who is more corrupt?
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 16, 2015
Imagine..... so GEJ is what? abeg make D's man go do the needdul joor. he is lacking from lack of sex....
NA me talk am
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 16, 2015
Imagine..... so GEJ is what? abeg make D's man go do the needful joor. he is lacking from lack of sex....
NA me talk am
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 16, 2015
Nigeria politics is a comedy half-hour show..
The politicians are nothing but clowns..
Imagine,Baba spew that..
Was he drunk,or under duress when he said that?
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by KanwuliaJara: 3:59am On Jul 16, 2015
Meaning Nigerians never voted?
For GEJ too!

Thanks for the confession!

Old PAKUT! kiss
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by juman(m): 4:02am On Jul 16, 2015
Useless old man.
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by M4gunners: 4:50am On Jul 16, 2015
Hw can this change the killing of our people in the north east nigeria? Or our sinking economy? Abeg carri my coffee commot for thread.
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by phlemzy: 6:30am On Jul 16, 2015
A man from Ogun state wanted to occupy the presidential villa for 12years sometime ago. Could this be him?
Re: I Chose Yar’adua Because Others Were Corrupt –obasanjo by Xyg12: 6:33am On Jul 16, 2015
Mr Clean. No empirical evidence you aren't anyways.

(1) (2) (Reply)

June 12 1993: How The Late Ooni Betrayed MKO. / How Rivers APC Established Its Petition. / Wanted Boko Haram Terrorist Arrested Trying To Board Aero Flight -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.