Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,391 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? (2391 Views)

The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Bypass, Calabar: How Nigeria Is Strangling Her Own / Goodluck Jonathan , What Is He Doing In This Photo ? / Clark-jonathan: What Reuben Abati Missed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:12pm On Jul 16, 2015
Good afternoon all.

Got some break off official grind and thought to nourish the discourse around here by way of revisiting the past and try to justify the present.

Most of the members of this forum, especially avid political commentators, and indeed Nigerians, have been living in bewilderment over calls for the Nigerian government to erect some sort of monument in honour of the ex President, Goodluck Jonathan as they adorn him with the mein of a Hero of democracy. They avow his credentials as a democrat is firmly rooted and indestructible, often times going as far as drawing parallels between the man and the Great Madiba of South Africa, Nelson Mandella.

For some of us, there can be nothing more scandalous than this for we know and will not, in the blink of an eye, forget how oppressive and repressive that regime was. The only credit those of us old and shrewd enough to recollect the past can give to Jonathan as regards respect for democratic principles is his concession of defeat in a contest in which he was beaten roundly and squarely. Let no one be deceived, his acceptance of defeat was as much a favour to Nigeria as it was to himself. He sure knew what might have been had he done otherwise.

Now, let us take a trip down memory lane and peel some skin off Democrat Jonathan, and see just how deserving of the Hero title and accolades he truly is:

Come with me:

1. Governors Forum Crises (2013): A lot of political pundits insist this marked the beginning of Jonathan downfall, forget his crass incompetence.

In a simple election involving 35 participants and two contestants, Jonathan's interference saw to it that this more or less political pressure group was fractured beyond redemption resulting in the formation of the PDP Governors Forum chaired by his stooge Godswill Akpabio and another faction of the forum chaired by his preferred candidate who lost in the contest, Jonah Jang.

The election whose video went rival at that time due to its outcome saw Amaechi pulling 19 votes while Jonah Jang pulled 16. Democrat Jonathan insisted Jang won the election and recognised him as the Chairman of the forum giving rise to the much publicised PDP arithmetics where 16 is greater than 19.

This set the precedence for the scenarios that played out in Rivers and Ekiti Houses of Assembly while our "Hero" stood idly by, giving a tacit nod to the obvious anomalies as state police were used to suppress the opposition.

www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-endorses-gov-jangs-faction/

2. APC National Leader Harassed by the Military: During the heat of the campaigns, keeping faith with their doctrine of hounding and intimidating opposition figures, Bola Tinubu had his house placed under surveillance by the military when he wasn't indicted for any federal offence. The national leader responded to this in a manner that set social media on fire, placing a banner in front of his house that seemingly pointed the military where they should be looking- Sambisa.

leadership.ng/news/411334/military-places-tinubu-surveillance

3. Journalists Harassed and Newspapers Confiscated: This was one of the greatest assaults on freedom of speech we witnessed under Jonathan. It was a crackdown reminiscent of the dark days of the Khaki Boys.

Hundreds of papers with publications critical of the government's handling of national issues were confiscated and destroyed. Same guys who supported the actions of the government then screamed blue murder when reports circulated the press that Buhari had barred AIT from covering his activities.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/162255-nigerian-military-goes-berserk-blocks-newspapers-distribution-abuja-lagos.html

dailypost.ng/2014/06/06/soldiers-seize-thousands-leadership-nation-vanguard-newspapers-friday-edition/

www.punchng.com/news/military-sss-seize-destroy-major-nigerian-newspapers/

4. APC Office Raided: This was another very dark day in our democratic experience and marked an upsurge in the use of state security agents to harass and gag the opposition. Under the guise of carrying out an investigation, offices of the opposition were raided with computers and other instruments confiscated and destroyed. It was one of the lowest points of the DSS and somewhat signalled its complete evolution into an arm of the PDP.

The DSS at a press conference displayed items "discovered" at the office during the raid and they were computers, hard drives and other electronic accessories- hell it was a data centre!! Were they expecting to find chopsticks and stoves

www.naij.com/329843-lagos-apc-office-stormed-by-dss-soldiers-data-confiscated.html

dailyindependentnig.com/2014/11/apc-office-raid-dss-releases-list-recovered-items/

5. Buhari's Plane Barred from Landing: Another shameful incident where a plane conveying opposition bigwigs (then), including her flag bearer, on a campaign trail was refused landing rights in Makurdi and they had to return to Abuja. My question is, what if there wasn't sufficient fuel to take them back to Abuja as they made the u-turn mid-air?? Your guess is as good as mine.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/buharis-aircraft-barred-landing-makurdi-airport/

saharareporters.com/2014/11/26/buharis-jet-barred-landing-makurdi

6. Protesters and Senator Shot in Rivers: Another gut wrenching incident that demonstrated the partisan nature of our security apparatus under ex president Jonathan. In a continuation of the government's crackdown on the opposition, citizens who were on a peaceful protest in Rivers state were shot at with live and rubber bullets and a Senator was hit twice in the chest. Thankfully, he
survived and a serious crises was averted.

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/01/rivers-crisis-senator-abe-shot-flown-london/

7. APC Women Protesters Teargassed: This was another horrid incident that demonstrated the ex president's disdain for opposition and civil liberties.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/police-fire-tear-gas-at-apc-women-protesters-in-rivers/

8. Jonathan Orders Withdrawal of Speaker's Security Detail: Arguably the most vicious assault on our democracy by the ex president. This much publicised incident that needs no introduction earned the ex president (and deservedly so) local and international disrepute and condemnation. People had started to see him as the worst civilian dictator in the country's history. If you ask me, this incident drove the last nail into the coffin of Jonathan's 2015 ambition.

leadership.ng/news/388651/jonathan-orders-withdrawal-tambuwals-security-details

www.channelstv.com/2014/10/30/tambuwals-security-details-withdrawn/

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/170346-jonathan-orders-withdrawal-of-tambuwals-security-details.html

These are but a few events the hero of democracy subjected Nigerians to. Indeed it would be a herculean task convincing people of sound minds as to the propriety of referring to Mr Jonathan as a hero of this country.

Thanks for reading.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, OAM4J.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 16, 2015
gei
Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by ifihearam: 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
Get a life. Loser

6 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by maverickdude(m): 4:20pm On Jul 16, 2015
Well,thats ur opinion....internationally,they acknowledged him as a hero.For me,he did pretty well and i rate him in between

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by FastShipping: 4:21pm On Jul 16, 2015
8. Oshiomohle plane was asked to return to the airport 12 minutes aftyer take off from the airport. His life was put in danger.

9. Chibok Girl protestors were beaten, harassed and humiliated on several occasions.

10. The Governor of Rivers State was prevented from entering his official residence through the front gate.

11. Kano State liaison office was invaded by DSS and soldiers in the middle of meeting.

Jonathan is no saint. He was an incompetent wolf in lamb clothing that was beaten fair and square at the poll. He deserves nothing but PRISON.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
Cc: PassingShot, Midolian, Caseless, Clerverly, Beremx, Egift, Gbawe, Jorlons, Demdem, NgeneUkwenu, Arewafederation, Obiagelli et al.
Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by rekeson: 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2015
Guy Buhari d messiah is now president, how come GEJ is still making headlines??

9 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2015
ifihearam:
Get a life. Loser
Typical.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by eph12(m): 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
Hopefully after 100 days of this present adminstration we won't need to be talking about the previous administration but the gains of the present one. I pray this is the case.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Ofeakwu(m): 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2015
Trash!!!!!!, get sense! U no gree[img][/img]

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2015
rekeson:
Guy Buhari d messiah is now president, how come GEJ is still making headlines??
Because some guys insist on keeping his name in circulation giving him credit for things he isn't responsible for. So why not oblige them with a little bit of history?

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Clerverly: 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2015
About the Hero Stuff, I think they are now coming to their senses, that the "self acclaimed hero of Fraud" was actually a thief! With the daily revelations coming from the Present government on how the Economy was raped by the immediate past president, only some die hard "Biafra" propagandaist still hold tenaciously to that Crook called jonathan as their "hero".

Jonathan the Fraudulent Hero!

7 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2015
As expected, all "they" do is come and throw insults. No brains whatsoever.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by olapluto(m): 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2015
The hero tag is only for people finding it hard to console themselves after Nigerians rejected GEJ. GEJ was poor, clueless and never made life better for Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by FastShipping: 4:28pm On Jul 16, 2015
olapluto:
The hero tag is only for people finding it hard to console themselves after Nigerians rejected GEJ. GEJ was poor, clueless and never made life better for Nigerians.

Exactly.

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by themilanway(m): 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2015
The only reason his wife isn't bringing food for him in prison was that most important and singular phone call he made to Buhari.

If not.........

Hero ko Hiroshima ni tongue tongue tongue tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:33pm On Jul 16, 2015
FastShipping:
8. Oshiomohle plane was asked to return to the airport 12 minutes aftyer take off from the airport. His life was put in danger.

9. Chibok Girl protestors were beaten, harassed and humiliated on several occasions.

10. The Governor of Rivers State was prevented from entering his official residence through the front gate.

11. Kano State liaison office was invaded by DSS and soldiers in the middle of meeting.

Jonathan is no saint. He was an incompetent wolf in lamb clothing that was beaten fair and square at the poll. He deserves nothing but PRISON.

There are dozens of such incidences my brother. The list is simply inexhaustible. I fear for what would become of the orientation of impressionable kids growing under the tutelage of some of these PDP minions.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by MzJackBaueress(f): 4:34pm On Jul 16, 2015
Hero indeed!

Jonathan was more of a tyrant than a democrat. He made impunity the order of the day and intimidated the opposition party using federal institutions.

He will go down in history as the democratically elected president who ruled like a military dictator.

7 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by rottennaija(m): 4:34pm On Jul 16, 2015
ifihearam:
Get a life. Loser
So typical

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by seunmsg(m): 4:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
The OP has finished some people's hero. What a shame!

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by midolian(m): 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
ifihearam:
Get a life. Loser
Do u know the meaning of a loser? SMH .I am sure if you knew, you wldnt have called him one. I challenge you to counter his points.

Any1 that calls GEJ a hero will call shekau a super-hero if he surrenders tomorrow(from a point of weakness) and decides to let Nigerians live in peace. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Boy101(m): 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
SPOT ON!!!

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Kastonkastroll(m): 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
Any monument/statue of Jonathan in odua-land will be burned down that very day. They say he is a goodluck to the nation, but hey we down here don't want his "goodluck" in our land.

If Nigerians doesn't enjoy an uninterrupted power supply by the end of my tenure, then surely am a useless man - Ex president Jonathan grin

Jonathan is the worst president that has ever ruled this country. Sometimes I just wish I could give him a very good slap for all the bad things he did to Nigeria
angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
GEJ is my hero of democracy. If you don't like it, go and die!

Meanwhile, your masters in Abuja have already started the process of destroying the credibility built in INEC in the last 5 years.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by phyllosilicate(m): 4:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
FastShipping:

GBAM
Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Firefire(m): 4:43pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Meanwhile, your masters in Abuja have already started the process of destroying the credibility built in INEC in the last 5 years.

Aligned!

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by olapluto(m): 4:43pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Considering your low standards, I am not surprised. Democracy of 16 greater than 19, where 7 can impeach in a house of 23.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Clerverly: 4:46pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
[s]GEJ is my hero of democracy. If you don't like it, go and die!

Meanwhile, your masters in Abuja have already started the process of destroying the credibility built in INEC in the last 5 years. [/s]

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2015
olapluto:

Considering your low standards, I am not surprised. Democracy of 16 greater than 19, where 7 can impeach in a house of 23.
Yea, he gave us credible elections which is the pillar of every modern democracy. Without credible elections, your Buhari would never have been president today. Without credible elections, this nation may have been engulfed in crisis. Without credible elections, this democracy may have been truncated by another military coup.

GEJ is my hero!

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by omenka(m): 4:53pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

That much you have the right to. But you guys should stop insulting the sensibilities of Nigerians by tagging him a "hero of Nigerian democracy" and stop mocking the Nobel prize by saying he deserves one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by MzJackBaueress(f): 5:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Yea, he gave us credible elections which is the pillar of every modern democracy. Without credible elections, your Buhari would never have been president today. Without credible elections, this nation may have been engulfed in crisis. Without credible elections, this democracy may have been truncated by another military coup.

GEJ is my hero!
Wow! I never knew Jonathan was the INEC chairman to have given us credible elections.

Jonathan gave us cedible elections yet we knew how he and his party tried frustrating Jega not to use card readers..

Jonathan gave us credible elections yet he tried making Jega to go on forceful retirement just to put his stooge as the new INEC chairman.

If APC and Nigerians didn't cry out,all that would have happened and the elections will be rigged in favour of Jonathan.

If anyone has to be the Hero of Democracy,it is Attahiru Jega.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Ebele Jonathan- What Hero?? by dustmalik: 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2015
Omenka, as always, awesome analysis. You are the nightmare of the Wailing Wailers. Keep it up.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Clannish Outburst On Buhari's Appointments / I Will Light You Up!': Texas Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser / Metuh Fears Arrest, Declines To Produce Daura’s APC Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.