Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,548 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? (1686 Views)

Is There Any Real Babalawo Or Ifa Priest Here? / The Largest Religion In Nigeria? Islam Or Christianity? Detailed Analysis / Must Read: Olodumare (GOD) In Yoruba Ifa And Orisha Is Monotheistic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? by sherifa1985: 2:29am On Jul 18, 2015
Peace and greetings,

I am torn, my mom is african american and my father is Nigerian (Yoruba). My mom is not religious at all, although she says she is Christian, but growing up she was never deeply involved with it. My father and his side of the family however are devout Muslims. I was Muslim since childhood but throughout the years I've been interested in Ifa/Orisha worship since it was revealed to me by my father that my grandmother was into Ifa before she met my grandfather and converted to Islam. My father is totally against Ifa/Orisha worship and calls it "Idol Worship" which I disagree. I want to honor my ancestors but I do not know which path to go with, there is something within me that says to look more into Ifa, then there is also a lingering feeling that I don't know what I'm doing regarding Ifa worship and I should stick to Islam. The question is since my ancestors were also Muslim should I continue with my Islam out of respect for them and my father or shall I research and study Ifa since some of my family members took that path as well? All of my family on my father's side are devout Muslims, I have no current family members that practice Ifa so I would probably end up being a black sheep which doesn't bother me much because I've always been different. Also I had a dream not too long ago, an ancestor visited me in my dream and I believe she was speaking Yoruba (I am not fluent in Yoruba yet but I know some words) to me and she also recited the Al-Fatitha and said "Bismillah" before she left. I took that as a sign that maybe I shall continue on the path of Islam. Thank you and blessings to anyone who replies. Modupe.
Re: Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? by deniyor: 2:31am On Jul 18, 2015
Why do you have to choose. All follow join
Re: Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? by obiak4(m): 6:35am On Jul 18, 2015
in modenine voice dear follow your heart,follow your heart nobody should coax you to serve their gods or God ooooo
Re: Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 18, 2015
I will choose Ifa over Islam any day but if you are really looking for the truth then you have to follow Christ.
Re: Confused...islam Or Ifa/orisha? Which Path Do I Take To Honor Ancestors? by cocoboom: 4:04am On Dec 27, 2015
Salaam,

I hear u sister. I'm in something a bit similar. My mother was Muslim and I grew up a non-practicing Muslim but in college I fell in love with Ifa and I feel connected to it. Everything feels perfect with it but I also have a connection to Islam..the problem is that I see a lot of things I dont agree with in Islam but my heart is drawn to it. I really dont know

(1) (Reply)

Dead Man Brought Back To Life After A Catholic Priest Pray On His Coffin (PHOTOS / Photos: Different Shades Of Pastor Lanre Rex And Wife / Mfm Presents The 1st Nigeria Prayer Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.