Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Worst Places To Work According To Cnn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Worst Places To Work According To Cnn (3951 Views)

Nigeria's Most Corrupt Leaders (dead/alive) According To CNN / The List Of Top 20 Most Corrupt Nigerians (dead/alive) According To CNN / Video: Sanusi Speaks To CNN On Boko Haram Joining ISIS, Corruption In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by angel72(f): 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2009
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by davidif: 1:03am On Mar 12, 2009
he he he
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by dakobu: 1:17am On Mar 12, 2009
grin grin[b]
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by panafrican(m): 1:22am On Mar 12, 2009
I do not see kabul Afganistan; Bagdad Irak.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:24am On Mar 12, 2009
What about Detroit, Michigan?
You can currently by a house their for roughly $5000. Try that in Lagos,
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 2:09am On Mar 12, 2009
Why would Detroit make the list of the worst places to work in? Because housing is relatively cheap compared to Lagos? Not sure I follow!!
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:13am On Mar 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Why would Detroit make the list of the worst places to work in? Because housing is relatively cheap compared to Lagos? Not sure I follow!!

Well do to the fact 10,000's of people are now unemployed in the motor city, and it will only get worse.
The white flight in the city has been crazy over the decade.

I am just saying that the criteria that they used to put together this list most be subjective at best. Riyadh on the list come on,
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 2:18am On Mar 12, 2009
Are you sure you watched the video?

Expatriates moving to Riyadh may find the moral and religious restrictions there limiting, especially the women, plus the ever present threat of terrorism there. . . cnn video
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by bawomolo(m): 2:21am On Mar 12, 2009
There are some nice suburbs in Detroit not that that's a big deal

lmao@hot spots like harare in zimbabwe
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 2:22am On Mar 12, 2009
The World's Worst Places to Work

Hardship Posts

These days few workers feel confident enough to make demands of their employers. With the global economy enduring the worst downturn in decades, lots of workers in the U.S. and other countries are happy to have a job, any job. There are places, though, where it's so tough to live that employees can still get companies to pay them extra just for agreeing to work there. For decades, multinationals looking to expand into inhospitable places in the developing world have offered managers bonuses for accepting "hardship posts." While some companies are trying to cut costs by hiring managers locally instead of sending expatriates, many multinationals continue to pay top workers extra for agreeing to work in difficult locations.

When trying to figure out how much hardship pay they need to offer, companies turn to consultants like New York-based human resources company ORC Worldwide. The firm recently compiled for BusinessWeek a ranking of 55 cities (the top 20 of which make up this slide show) outside the U.S., Canada, and Western Europe that might qualify as hardship posts based on a set of criteria that includes levels of pollution, disease, political violence, and availability of goods and services. The list doesn't include some cities that are so obviously challenging—because of war or international isolation—that they're in another league when it comes to hardship posts. For that reason, you won't find Baghdad or Harare or Pyongyang on ORC's list. You will find, though, cities in Africa, Southeast Asia, India, China, Central Asia, and the Middle East. The worst of the lot? Lagos, Nigeria.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/03/0304_difficult_cities/index.htm
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by mustafar1: 2:52am On Mar 12, 2009
i see ingredients for name calling and fighting on this thread. soon the naysayers would wake up and attack everyone for agreeing/disagreeing or simply having something to say about the video clip.

that said i want to know where kabul, islamabad, baghdad, cairo, khartoum, harare, fall on that list. because going by the video clip, the reasons given for lagos' position is lack of infrastructure, healthcare, etc does that mean the infrastructure available in these other cities i mention are ay better? or these cities i mention dont even make the list because their cases are way off the mark in the first place so no use even considering them.

if truely lagos is first on the list then it tells a lot about how things a perceived by those on the otherside of the fence. it might be that, it is becoming an economic/financial hub but its development isnt matching up to the position it is gradually finding itself.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Pataki: 3:07am On Mar 12, 2009
Lagos no 1 on the list? shocked shocked

Personally for me though, I cannot live in Lagos. Too energy demanding, stress loaded, high insecurity and every minute is a license to display madness.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Mar 12, 2009
must_a_far:

if truely lagos is first on the list then it tells a lot about how things a perceived by those on the otherside of the fence. it might be that, it is becoming an economic/financial hub but its development isnt matching up to the position it is gradually finding itself.

I believe the above would apply to the country as a whole; but the state of infrastructure is worse than it has been in the past 20 years.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Bobjoe3(m): 3:30am On Mar 12, 2009
Have any of you been to ABA? no go area sha smiley lipsrsealed
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by mustafar1: 3:31am On Mar 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I believe the above could be applied to Nigeria as a whole. One the one hand you continue to hear news of growth and economic boom, but the reality and development seem to tell opposite story.

sure theres development going on but compared to the decay which built up over the years, such development is not noticeable because their are other areas which scream decay even when they dont intend to. the effect of this development is going to take time to be felt. there are some other aspect that need to be fixed in its entirety, these aspects if and when fixed would allow the development to shine even without light being beemed on it.

i really hope this thread wont end up being the ethnic bashing battle ground other threads turn to.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Kobojunkie: 3:51am On Mar 12, 2009
Bob@joe:

Aba is worse than it was back in 1993. The place is a shadow of its old self.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by OgidiBoy(m): 3:57am On Mar 12, 2009
Bob@joe:

Why do you have to start a new name to make that kind of comment, do you seriously think we don't know who you are? you nothing but a coward friend.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Jakumo(m): 6:30am On Mar 12, 2009
The only time I EVER set foot in Lagos is when I need to catch a flight in or out of Nigeria, but that journey to and from the airport is one that fills me with suffocating, primal terror.   Prior to such trips into the Dantean inferno that is Lagos, I typically miss several nights of sleep in a row, just lying awake and fretting over all the possible fates that might befall me in that horrible place.  The squalor and risk of falling victim to  sudden violent crime in Lagos is second to no other location I have ever visited in my entire life, and I have seen some really nasty neigborhoods in the West. 

As my vehicle navigates the pot-hole riddled streets of Lagos amid choking, unregulated vehicle emissions, the bedlam of blaring horns and throngs of desperate-looking ruffians milling through all traffic lanes, my eyes nervously scan the road ahead, to ascertain if those scruffy looking armed men are policemen or robbers, even though the distinction between the two is often purely academic.  Immobilized in the ever-present gridlock traffic that is inescapable in Lagos, the risk of smash-and-grab assaults on car occupants by roving gangs of armed men rises exponentially, along with my blood pressure.   Throw into the mix swarms of state-sanctioned car-jackers lurking everywhere in Lagos and poised to beat up motorists while chaining their cars to tow-trucks under the pretext of " traffic law enforcement", one can only speculate about the reduced life expectancy that is inevitable for those unfortunate enough to call Lagos home.

Current Governor Fashola of Lagos state is without doubt accomplishing far more than any of his predecessors did towards taming the cauldron of filth, violence, chaos and mind-boggling pollution that is Lagos, BUT, unless a visitor happens to be passing through some the more affluent areas of that mega-slum, Fashola's brave initiatives are reduced to piteous flailings of absolute futility, when viewed against the sheer overwhelming enormity of the task he has taken on.

Yes sir indeed, CNN speaks the truth in bestowing Lagos Nigeria with the dubious honor of being the worst city on planet earth.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by OgidiBoy(m): 6:47am On Mar 12, 2009
Jakumo:

The only time I EVER set foot in Lagos is when I need to catch a flight in or out of Nigeria, but that journey to and from the airport is one that fills me with suffocating, primal terror. Prior to such trips into the Dantean inferno that is Lagos, I typically miss several nights of sleep in a row, just lying awake and fretting over all the possible fates that might befall me in that horrible place. The squalor and risk of falling victim to sudden violent crime in Lagos is second to no other location I have ever visited in my entire life, and I have seen some really nasty neigborhoods in the West.

As my vehicle navigates the pot-hole riddled streets of Lagos amid choking, unregulated vehicle emissions, the bedlam of blaring horns and throngs of desperate-looking ruffians milling through all traffic lanes, my eyes nervously scan the road ahead, to ascertain if those scruffy looking armed men are policemen or robbers, even though the distinction between the two is often purely academic. Immobilized in the ever-present gridlock traffic that is inescapable in Lagos, the risk of smash-and-grab assaults on car occupants by roving gangs of armed men rises exponentially, along with my blood pressure. Throw into the mix swarms of state-sanctioned car-jackers lurking everywhere in Lagos and poised to beat up motorists while chaining their cars to tow-trucks under the pretext of " traffic law enforcement", one can only speculate about the reduced life expectancy that is inevitable for those unfortunate enough to call Lagos home.

Current Governor Fashola of Lagos state is without doubt accomplishing far more than any of his predecessors did towards taming the cauldron of filth, violence, chaos and mind-boggling pollution that is Lagos, BUT, unless a visitor happens to be passing through some the more affluent areas of that mega-slum, Fashola's brave initiatives are reduced to piteous flailings of absolute futility, when viewed against the sheer overwhelming enormity of the task he has taken on.

Yes sir indeed, CNN speaks the truth in bestowing Lagos Nigeria with the dubious honor of being the worst city on planet earth.

Never seen anyone on nairaland write this GOOD, are you a writer if you don't mind me asking.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Jarus(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Never seen anyone on nairaland write this GOOD, are you a writer if you don't mind me asking.
A worthy off-topic.
Good writers are not short in supply on Nairaland, poor as our writing skills are in Nigeria.
Jakumo, like you rightly observed, is a proven good writer on NL. You cannot but find the writings of other forumers like Kobojunkie, Debosky etc also grammatically delightsome.
I personally get pissed off when an otherwise good analysis is fraught with bad grammar.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by angel72(f): 11:03am On Mar 12, 2009
Getting back to the topic, what would you do to get Lagos from that first place? I know traffic is hell there, but that isn't so strange since everybody just can buy a driverslicence for 5000 naira and start driving cars there! There has to be rules! And people have to be willing to obey those rules. It's not only about the traffic, it concerns all the issues Nigeria has. Everybody complains about how bad it is overthere, but is anybody willing to do anything about it? I think the biggest issue is corruption. I heard that even teachers get paid for giving specific papers, it breaks my heart, it shouldn't be this way! There need to be more woman in politics and maybe even more companies willing to invest in the country. If the payments for the jobs would be better, they don't need to use corruption, Or am i totally wrong here?

So what can you do to make it a better place?
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 12, 2009
Jarus:

A worthy off-topic.
Good writers are not short in supply on Nairaland, poor as our writing skills are in Nigeria.
Jakumo, like you rightly observed, is a proven good writer on NL. You cannot but find the writings of other forumers like Kobojunkie, Debosky etc also grammatically delightsome.delighful
I personally get pissed off when an otherwise good analysis is fraught with bad grammar.

no vex o. . . grin

note that all the dudes you highlighted are OUTSIDE nigeria - though both debosky and kobojunkie grew up in naija. jakumo remains a mystery.from reviewing  his posts i assume he's male, agnostic, an engineer and of yoruba  ancestry.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Nobody: 11:06am On Mar 12, 2009
this was my reply to the thread in careers:

yawn. . .the big question is. . .what are you looking for? with all its faults Lagos provides some of the best career opportunities in nigeria. end of story.

true, but note that people all over the world will put up with ish as long as they have opportunities. do you think that the uk and us are a pure bed of roses for immigrant workers? or middle eastern countries. they all hae their issues that people choose to shrug off as long as they are making their money.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Jarus(m): 11:40am On Mar 12, 2009
oyb:

A worthy off-topic.
Jakumo, like you rightly observed, is a proven good writer on NL. You cannot but find the writings of other forumers like Kobojunkie, Debosky etc also grammatically delightsome.delighful

no vex o. . . grin

Thanks. . . . and I also know that the absence of 't' was a 'slip of keyboard'. grin

. . . . seriously, delightsome is correct. I stand by the word. Both mean the same thing.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2009
yeee

embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed

make dede1 (and those 'quranic school ' detractors/noisemakers) no see this. . . cheesy and the man who invented grammar thot i was trying to steal his title embarassed

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/delightsome
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/delightsome
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/delightsome
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by angel72(f): 12:22pm On Mar 12, 2009
can we stick to the topic please? if you wanna discuss grammar, please open a new topic wink
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by deco2come: 12:58pm On Mar 12, 2009
I think this is not a news but an insult. Let's differentiate between a news and an insult. US media are fond of distroying another country's image but failed to see their own fault. I think they should concentrate on their killings of innocent people in Iraq.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by deor03(m): 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2009
I fail to see the connection between the fact that Lagos is the worst place to work and another fact that expatriates or foreigners refuse to leave the city when their contract expires
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 12, 2009
deor03:

I fail to see the connection between the fact that Lagos is the worst place to work and another fact that expatriates or foreigners refuse to leave the city when their contract expires

MTN staff from SA are notorious for this. when their contracts expire, they quit and set up in naija.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by mustafar1: 2:30pm On Mar 12, 2009
deco2come:

I think this is not a news but an insult. Let's differentiate between a news and an insult. US media are fond of distroying another country's image but failed to see their own fault. I think they should concentrate on their killings of innocent people in Iraq.

the US media houses would do what they want because they have the right to, they feel thats what the audience they cater to would want to know. the flip side to this coin is that, nigerian media houses do not do the same instead they help pass the message by broadcasting it whether they agree with it or not all in the name of having something to show. when last did AIT, NTA, CHANNELS, et al do an expose (they get locked down if they misyarn or not anyway so i dont blame them) highlighting anything good or bad about nigeria.
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by Pataki: 2:44pm On Mar 12, 2009
angel72:

Getting back to the topic, what would you do to get Lagos from that first place? I know traffic is hell there, but that isn't so strange since everybody just can buy a driverslicence for 5000 naira and start driving cars there! There has to be rules! And people have to be willing to obey those rules. It's not only about the traffic, it concerns all the issues Nigeria has. Everybody complains about how bad it is overthere, but is anybody willing to do anything about it? I think the biggest issue is corruption. I heard that even teachers get paid for giving specific papers, it breaks my heart, it shouldn't be this way! There need to be more woman in politics and maybe even more companies willing to invest in the country. If the payments for the jobs would be better, they don't need to use corruption, Or am i totally wrong here?

So what can you do to make it a better place?
How does more women in politics, help to improve the status of Lagos State from the current situation under which it is been reviewed and stated? Furthermore, investment of more companies in Lagos: In which way does this improve the already over-populated situation in which Lagos finds itself at the moment?
Re: Worst Places To Work According To Cnn by deco2come: 2:57pm On Mar 12, 2009
oyb:

MTN staff from SA are notorious for this. when their contracts expire, they quit and set up in naija.

Thanks so much for your comment. I think most of Nigerians are suffering from inferiority complex. That has always been the problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Can’t Stop Sylva - Bayelsa Lawmakers To PDP / Sanusi, Oteh Demand Listing Of Multinationals In Stock Exchange / Was Abacha Truly Poisoned By Indian Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.