Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Homosexuals Storm National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Homosexuals Storm National Assembly (30327 Views)

Pro Obanikoro Storm National Assembly / Police release NEW VIDEO: Extraordinary Scenes Inside Nigeria National Assembly / Homosexuals Storm National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by georgecso(m): 8:18am On Mar 12, 2009
Openly gay people yesterday stormed the National Assembly in Abuja seeking for legislation that will guarantee the protection of what they termed their right to determine their sexual orientation.

At a public hearing organised by the House of Representatives Joint Committee on Human Rights, Women Affairs and Justice, the homosexuals also decried moves by legislators to pass a bill that seeks to prohibit and criminalise same sex marriage.
, Daily Trust

Opinion

I wonder what our country is turning into with the fierce debate going about this issue. We are gradually creeping into what happened during the time of Sodom & gommorrah. Its is unnatural, monstrous and a big mockery of the Almighty if this bill is passed. Even in the animal kingdom, same sex marriage is not practiced
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 12, 2009
this development is worrisome.
i thought homosexuality is prohibited in Nigeria.
i wonder why the legislative arm of the govt (the same people who passed the bill) gave them audience.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Lagosboy: 9:29am On Mar 12, 2009
The morons should be chased away from the national assembly. Are these gay protesters men or wemen?
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by kaygee1234: 9:33am On Mar 12, 2009
***More on the news*** - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7937700.stm

Nigerian gay rights activists have told the country's lawmakers that a new bill to outlaw same sex marriage would lead to widespread human rights abuses.

The new law would mean prison sentences for gay people who live together, and anyone who "aids and abets" them.

The plea by activists was made to a public committee of the National Assembly which is discussing the bill.

It is already illegal to have gay sex in Nigeria but the new law would extend police powers to arrest suspects.

"This bill is not necessary, we see no reason why people should be criminalised," Rashidi Williams, 23, of the Queer Alliance of Nigeria told the committee.

"I did not choose to be gay. It is trial enough to live in this country, we should not create more laws to make us suffer," he said.

'Fabric of society'

Under the new law anyone who has "entered into a same gender marriage contract" would be liable to be jailed for three years.

The bill defines a same sex marriage as gay people living together.
Anyone who "witnesses, abet and aids the solemnization" of a same gender marriage would face five years in prison, or a fine.

Activists say the law does not make sense because anyone who aides and abets people to live together would face a tougher sentence than the couple concerned.

The law would make it easier for the police to arrest suspects, and criminalise anyone working in a human rights organisation that dealt with gay rights, they say.

Church groups spoke in favour of the bill, saying that gay marriage risked "tearing the fabric of society".

"In the Bible it says homosexuals are criminals," Pius Akubo of the Daughters of Sarah church told lawmakers.

Rev Patrick Alumake told the National Assembly the top leadership of the Catholic church in Nigeria supported the bill wholeheartedly.

"There are wild, weird, ways of life that are affecting our own culture very negatively, we have people who either by way of the media or travelling around the world have allowed new ideas which are harmful to our nation and our belief," he said.

The bill's sponsor, House of Representatives member Mayor Eze, said the bill was necessary to protect the family.

"If you are not careful and allow the family institution to break down, and the consequences will be on all of us," he said.

'Abomination'

Children wearing T-shirts that said "Same sex marriage is un-natural and un-African", and "same sex marriage is an abomination" stood in the aisles of the committee room.

Ekaette Ettang, of the Daughters of Sarah church who provided the T-shirts, denied they were inciting hatred against homosexuals.

"We don't hate gay people, but this is the public's opinion and we have the right to speak," she said.

Activists say gay people in Nigeria face violence from their families and neighbours every day.

Two years ago, a woman went into hiding in the northern Kano State after reports that she had organised a wedding for four women - which she strongly denied.

Also that year 18 men were arrested in the northern city of Bauchi and accused of participating in a "gay wedding".

A Sharia court dismissed the charges and they were charged with the lesser offence of vagrancy.

Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by princekevo(m): 9:39am On Mar 12, 2009
i dont think this should be an issue to even be debated on the national Assembly, Infact those prostester should have been captured and put in a special Zoo, becoz they are jst different kinda species of mammals.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Muza(m): 9:44am On Mar 12, 2009
princekevo:

i dont think this should be an issue to even be debated on the national Assembly, Infact those prostester should have been captured and put in a special Zoo, becoz they are jst different kinda species of mammals.
lmao! cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by georgecso(m): 9:53am On Mar 12, 2009
@Muza

Infact those prostester should have been captured and put in a special Zoo, becoz they are jst different kinda species of mammals.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Democracy is not madness for Heaven sake!!! Nigeria is in a big a trouble and they (Gays) are growing stonger.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by georgecso(m): 9:56am On Mar 12, 2009
However, an overwhelming number of people at the public hearing, especially religious bodies, supported the enactment of the bill.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in its presentation said it “strongly supports this bill and wants the members of the National Assembly to ensure that it is passed. Every country has its laws; there is nothing like a universal law and you see weird ways of life affecting our people negatively. Christians and Muslims are strongly against homosexuality.”
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by JJYOU: 10:02am On Mar 12, 2009
georgecso:

@Muza

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Democracy is not madness for Heaven sake!!! Nigeria is in a big a trouble and they (Gays) are growing stonger.

why cant the thieves go and protest for rights to do their evil without harrasment. there should be more theives in naija than gay/lesbians.  it is sad seeing a vocal minority forcing their life style/mindset on the majority.  if england example is anything to go by, in 10 - 15yrs from now they will be every where in your face especially media land.

may God help that land.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by ud4u: 10:21am On Mar 12, 2009
This world is really coming to an end, may God help us.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by fesse(f): 10:41am On Mar 12, 2009
"coordinator of the forum, Dorothy Aken'Ova, told journalists yesterday in Abuja that the bill before the House of Representatives, same Gender Marriage(Prohibition) Bill 2008, is a distraction and an infringement on rights of individuals."

"same sex marriage apart from being ungoldly, it is unscriptural, unnatural, unprofitable, unhealthy, un-cultural, un-African and UN-NIGERIAN."

:oWhat's really going on in our society? Why should the National Assembly grant them entrance at the first place? National Assembly should make it a capital offence. These urgly mammals are gradualling intruding into our Nation without fear. This is another bad side of Democracy.

Infact these barbaric idiots are not supposed to go free. What a shame that National Assembly has become a place of unusual beings.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by JJYOU: 11:07am On Mar 12, 2009
fesse:

"coordinator of the forum, Dorothy Aken'Ova, told journalists yesterday in Abuja that the bill before the House of Representatives, same Gender Marriage(Prohibition) Bill 2008, is a distraction and an infringement on rights of individuals."

"same sex marriage apart from being ungoldly, it is unscriptural, unnatural, unprofitable, unhealthy, un-cultural, un-African and UN-NIGERIAN."

shocked[b]What's really going on in our society? Why should the National Assembly grant them entrance at the first place?[/b]  [size=16pt]she is basically abusing her family connections. she comes from a very respected and highly connected family. if she was some poor mans child she would have had it since. she and her increase organisation will decrease nigeria's well being.[/size]  National Assembly should make it a capital offence. These urgly mammals are gradualling intruding into our Nation without fear. This is another bad side of Democracy.

Infact these barbaric idiots are not supposed to go free. What a shame that National Assembly has become a place of unusual beings.
sadly people said nothing when i warned about this loose canon Dorothy Aken'Ova 3yrs ago.

check her nonsence on the BBC way back Monday, 26 September 2005, 14:20 GMT 15:20 UK.  afruca's debie aruyo is another loose canon to watch

[size=14pt]Challenging Nigeria's sexual taboos[/size]
The BBC World Service "I Challenge" series looks at individuals around the world who have challenged authority, traditions and beliefs in the face of enormous odds.

Here, Dorothy Aken'Ova, a Nigerian sexual health worker, tells the BBC's Linda Pressly how sex education can help reduce domestic violence and discrimination in her country.

Dorothy Aken'Ova, Nigerian sexual health worker
Dorothy believes in the importance of teaching sexual pleasure
In her office in Minna, northern Nigeria, Dorothy Aken'Ova breezily unlocks the door to an inner store room. Inside, next to hefty academic tomes on sexual health, gender and development, is a simple wooden display cabinet.

I am momentarily startled by the brightly coloured rubber and plastic articles on show - especially as this is a Sharia state where jurisdiction is based on Muslim law.

Dorothy takes me through her collection of sex aids and toys.

"We have dildos, vibrators, nipple ticklers, clitoris massagers, gels, lubricants, condoms," she says. "This is the beginning of our sexual health shop."

Dorothy is the founder of the International Centre for Reproductive Health and Sexual Rights - Increse, a non-governmental organisation.

Fundamental to Dorothy's approach to sexual health is a commitment to teaching people about sexual pleasure.

So her collection of intimacy gadgets and aids has a very serious intent: she believes that enhancing sexual pleasure not only improves communication, but crucially, also minimises domestic violence.

"If people want and believe in sexual pleasure," she says, "they will know that battering a woman is certainly not romantic and isn't one of the ways of achieving pleasure. So teaching sexual pleasure may be one way of ensuring women aren't beaten in their own homes."

Domestic discord

We head out to the predominantly Muslim community of Paiko, a 20-minute drive from Minna.

Dorothy has an appointment with the local government council to discuss the progress of a new couples' support centre - the first of its kind in Nigeria.

The initiative came about after Increse did a survey in the area, and found that many people highlighted a lack of harmony between couples, and anxiety about the number of divorce cases.

For Dorothy, the most surprising thing about the study was how open people were.

"There's an assumption that in the traditional north of Nigeria, people won't tolerate discussions about sex. But we found the community very open and willing to talk about many issues of sexuality, including sexual intercourse."

Baba Salihu Danjumo, chairman of Paiko local government
Local council chairman Baba Salihu Danjumo is supportive
Despite coming from the permissive, "anything-goes" capital of the UK, even I find Dorothy's directness occasionally disarming.

But her passion to promote sexual health and well-being leaves no room for coyness. And in an office crammed with local council members, only one of whom is a woman, the chairman, Baba Salihu Danjumo, is equally unfazed.

There will, he says, be private counselling sessions at the new centre where people can discuss pleasure, sexual dysfunction, infertility and family planning.

In fact, the council is so impressed with the project conceived by Increse, it is putting extra resources into the centre, and renovating a further building for young people.

Dorothy is cock-a-hoop, and tells me: "It's such a misconception that people in the north are closed and don't welcome development. This community is ready for a new start. I'm really impressed."

Self-esteem

In Increse, Dorothy has created a unique organisation. Apart from teaching the young people who flock to the Increse centre in Minna from all ethnic and religious communities and doing outreach work in places like Paiko, Dorothy is committed to challenging taboos.

Dorothy's seen things lacking in the Nigerian system and she's trying to change them
Idris, Abuja hotel manager
Nothing is off-limits. So there are workshops on unsafe abortion, seminars on rape, discussions about teenage pregnancy. And recently she created a network for bisexual women and lesbians.

There are no public meeting places in Nigeria, like cafes or bars, for women who are attracted to other women, and nowhere their health needs can be addressed.

Through Increse, Dorothy has chosen to challenge the prevailing silence around homosexuality.

I CHALLENGE
Part 1: Challenging Nigeria's sexual taboos
Part 2: Prison gang 'Godfather' breaks ranks
Part 3: 'Radio raids' wxpose India's corrupt
Part 4: Quest to become 'UK's first female imam'

So far, she has organised three secret meetings of Igonet (Increse Girls Only Network) in a hotel in Abuja.

The general manager of the hotel, Idris, has decided the risk he runs in hosting the get-togethers is worth it.

"The hotel could be set ablaze if the word got out, but I'm proud to be assisting Dorothy in her work", he tells me. "She's seen things lacking in the Nigerian system and she's trying to change them."

I was introduced to some of the women who had met in Abuja. Fortune, a 20-something student from Lagos, told me how wonderful it was to be with other women like her in a safe environment, and get reliable information about sexuality.

Pamela described how her self-esteem had risen as a result of being part of the network.

These women feel safe in Dorothy's company. She throws her head back and laughs uproariously at their stories, but her mission is deadly serious: to challenge the inequalities she believes exist in Nigeria, and fight for an end to discriminatory practices.

never a truer word if there is word like that
her mission is deadly serious

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4220038.stm

Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 11:50am On Mar 12, 2009
Must we as a people copy everything the "oyinbos" do. Even photocopy machines do not copy all things.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 11:59am On Mar 12, 2009
Good, they should continue and maybe one day they'll get their way in that Homophobic society.

And even in the Animal kingdom same sex isn't practised, Are you kidding me?? Do you even know what you're talking about? Even animals are Gay. Gosh Nigerians instead of moaning about it, maybe you should educate yourself more.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 12:01pm On Mar 12, 2009
desgiezd:

Must we as a people copy everything the "oyinbos" do. Even photocopy machines do not copy all things.

Homosexuality has been around since the early times, so what do you mean by copying white people?? It isn't fashion you know.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by onyengbu1(m): 12:14pm On Mar 12, 2009
Badriyyah:

Good, they should continue and maybe one day they'll get their way in that Homophobic society.

And even in the Animal kingdom same sex isn't practised, Are you kidding me?? Do you even know what you're talking about? Even animals are Gay. Gosh Nigerians instead of moaning about it, maybe you should educate yourself more.

Ol boy, animals pee on themselves and kill their lots too, should we do that too? Stop comparing animals and humans!
Badriyyah:

Homosexuality has been around since the early times, so what do you mean by copying white people?? It isn't fashion you know.

Yeah, Just like murder, it has always been around too. Do we now say its a normal thing because it has always been around?

You people sef!
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 12:23pm On Mar 12, 2009
Badriyyah:

I can't get your drift, are you saying we should support those practising same sex?
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 12:23pm On Mar 12, 2009
In case you've forgotten Humans also pee on themselves and kill their lots too, So what are you trying to say?? And if you read the posters comment, he stated Animals don't have gay sex.

WoW, Comparing Murder to Homosexuality, very nice. We might as well compare Heteros with murder too. What a weak excuse, are gay people harming anyone? No. If you don't like it, that's your problem.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 12:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
desgiezd:

I can't get your drift, are you saying we should support those practising same sex?

And what is wrong with supporting them?, Hmmmm, this is probably the part where you bring a verse from the Bible right? undecided. I have no problem with Homosexuals.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by onyengbu1(m): 12:50pm On Mar 12, 2009
Badriyyah:

In case you've forgotten Humans also pee on themselves and kill their lots too, So what are you trying to say?? And if you read the posters comment, he stated Animals don't have gay sex.

WoW, Comparing Murder to Homosexuality, very nice. We might as well compare Heteros with murder too. What a weak excuse, are gay people harming anyone? No. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

I dont doubt that you can walk about peeing on yourself or Bleep your mum or even kill your folks like animal do, people do it all the time. My point is that it is not a soceital norm. Thats not how it is meant to be!

Gay people dont harm anyone abi? As a homo yourself (which i have noticed you are) how will your people feel when they finally got to hear you are gay? HURT i guess! or Would another family feel when any of their child start thinking or acting gay after they have witnessed you ad your gay friends perform your gayful deeds? grin HURT im sure.

My point is that homosexuality is abnormal and it hurts the soceity.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 12:58pm On Mar 12, 2009
Badriyyah:

I have no problem with Homosexuals.

Please enjoy yourself to the fullest.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by skfa1: 1:00pm On Mar 12, 2009
Hope those mopol are there on that protest day to beat them up. Stupid set of people, dem see fine fine girl as dem plenty like that for naija dem no carry dem, na dem unna yansh dem go dey F**k.

Locked dem up  angry
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 1:00pm On Mar 12, 2009
onye_ngbu:

I dont doubt that you can walk about peeing on yourself or Bleep your mum or even kill your folks like animal do, people do it all the time. My point is that it is not a soceital norm. Thats not how it is meant to be!

Gay people dont harm anyone abi? As a homo yourself (which i have noticed you are) how will your people feel when they finally got to hear you are gay? HURT i guess! or Would another family feel when any of their child start thinking or acting gay after they have witnessed you ad your gay friends perform your gayful deeds? grin HURT im sure.

My point is that homosexuality is abnormal and it hurts the soceity.

Your true Character has shown from the last comments you just made, however, I won't bring myself to your level by responding like an illiterate.

LoL, Peeing on myself? I don't need to do that, because your so called precious Humans already do that.

Sorry, I'm not gay, unlike you I can tell when people are weak and can't accept the truth. What have gay ppl done to you?? Or is it because you secretly fear that if you came close to gay ppl your true sexuality will show? Heheh

Homosexuality doesn't hurt society, it's people like you that do.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 1:02pm On Mar 12, 2009
desgiezd:

Please enjoy yourself to the fullest.

I definately will. I don't sit around judging people I don't know. smiley
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by MrCrackles(m): 1:04pm On Mar 12, 2009
Homosexuals cant lick each others balls and have it

Homosexuals cant eat thier cake and have it

WTF is this world turning into
?! angry
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by DRANOEL(m): 1:08pm On Mar 12, 2009
Badriyyah:

Your true Character has shown from the last comments you just made, however, I won't bring myself to your level by responding like an illiterate.

LoL, Peeing on myself? I don't need to do that, because your so called precious Humans already do that.

Sorry, I'm not gay, unlike you I can tell when people are weak and can't accept the truth. What have gay ppl done to you?? Or is it because you secretly fear that if you came close to gay ppl your true sexuality will show? Heheh

Homosexuality doesn't hurt society, it's people like you that do.

bros you are completely gay,dont use nairaland to hide. gays like you should be hanged and burned on the stake
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by desgiezd(m): 1:10pm On Mar 12, 2009
Badriyyah:

I definately will. I don't sit around judging people I don't know. smiley

Nobody is judging you, no, far from it. Its your call and you are free to choose what you really want.

By the way, that word is spelt "definitely".
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by asha80(m): 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2009
bros you are completely gay,dont use nairaland to hide. gays like you should be hanged and burned on the stake

shocked
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by MrCrackles(m): 1:12pm On Mar 12, 2009
DRANOEL:

shocked shocked shocked grin cheesy Haba!
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 1:15pm On Mar 12, 2009
DRANOEL:

Lmao, I'm a GIRL, Funny enough black people were hanged and burned on the stake in the past, I wonder what would have happened if ppl didn't step in?? Mmhmm, Idiot.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 1:15pm On Mar 12, 2009
I have no problem with all nonesense they "think" they doing and they "think" they know, however, they must be out of the freaking mind to even allow kids that knows nothing about their foolishness to wear those T-shirt, they just using those kids.
Re: Homosexuals Storm National Assembly by Badriyyah(f): 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2009
desgiezd:

Nobody is judging you, no, far from it. Its your call and you are free to choose what you really want.

By the way, that word is spelt "definitely".

Thank you Mr Spell Check.

And I don't need anyone to judge me because I AM NOT GAY. What? You guys think it's so wierd that a straight person has no problem with gay ppl? Sorry, but I don't doubt my sexuality. grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

Wives Of Southern Governors Visit Ambode / FG Declares Holidays For Christmas, New Year / Buhari Insists Adamu Is Preferred Candidate For APC Chair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.