Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND (10215 Views)

Don’t Instigate Another War, Kanu Tells Buhari / EFCC Charges Tompolo And Akpbolokemi For Unlawful Conversion / Why Nigeria Cannot Afford Another CIVIL WAR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2015
In response to the earlier thread on a MEND Reunion this Saturday in Yenagoa, some seemed to assume that The Nigerian Army is all invincible and that they'll crush MEND in hours, they couldn't be more wrong.
MEND under the leadership of Tompolo single handedly brought the Nigerian oil industry to a halt between 2005-2009 with production levels dropping to as low as 700,000 barrels of oil per day, They did this facing the full firepower of an undistracted Nigerian Armed Forces and didn't bat an eyelid and they used crude weapons.
Fast forward to 2015, What has changed?
A quarter of the Nigerian Army is actively involved in desert warfare in the North-East, virtually all nigeria's largely obsolete air platforms are deployed in the NE and the biggest ship in the arsenal of the Nigerian Navy is a ''hand me down'' 30 year old frigate(NNS Thunder) donated by the US Coast Guard angry...........................
Contrast with Tompolo who in the last four years has built a sizeable force replete with gunboats and helicopters thanks to his contract with NIMASA which until recently was headed by his cousin Ziakede Akpobolokemi........He still controls a huge following and is practically the godfather of politics in his native Delta state, his support ensured Okowa defeated Uduaghan's preferred guber candidate , for which he nominated another cousin of his as deputy governor, the same extends to the other ex-militants who are all better funded and armed than before, the only question now is their willingness to return to the creeks.
Boko Haram has thrived in the NE with a strategy of attacking soft targets to achieve notoriety, MEND has an easier job, the Niger Delta is a labyrinth of pipelines and flow stations which are all sitting ducks and easy targets guarded by poorly trained soldiers more interested in oil bunkering. An attack on just a small flowline could trigger wide ranging crude supply distractions.
With global oil prices very low and OPEC and US shale producers locked in an intense battle for market share , any little supply disruption in Nigeria can lead to a loss in market share for the country, a share that other countries are eager to replace. With the economy already strained , any loss in revenue due to reduction in production can lead the already fragile Nigerian economy to crash. This is not a doomsday scenario but is the reality if the govt decides to adopt the military approach to solving the Niger Delta issue.
The only viable solution is for Buhari to engage in dialogue, Unlike the YarAdua and Jonathan govts which had some credibility with Niger Deltans and had the backing of Key Niger Delta leaders who had the ears of the militants such as Edwin Clark,Oritsejafor, Ibori, Alameseigheya,Alaibe and even Jonathan himself, Buhari lacks such credibility with Niger Deltans still angry at GEJ'S loss.
The only major ally of his from the ND, Rotimi Amaechi is for all intents and purposes a pariah in the region.
Tompolo is notoriously reclusive , unlike Asari Dokubo who is rather bombastic and garrulous , Tompolo is actually feared and respected by his peers and even the military.
Hell despite Buhari's victory Tompolo still moves about with a full military guard befitting a president.
Buhari would be wise to seek dialogue and reach out to the Niger Delta rather than pursuing an overtly antagonistic policy.
Nigeria cannot afford to fight on two fronts. The already overstretched Nigerian Armed Forces can't handle both..
My two cents though...
cc lalasticlala

50 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by INTROVERT(f): 6:49pm On Jul 23, 2015
Let's see what others say

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by jinha(m): 6:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
We do not negotiate with terrorists.... my two cents

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by nigerianvenom(m): 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
i laugh at all those that takes mend for granted.
i just laugh in nupe

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2015
jinha:
We do not negotiate with terrorists.... my two cents
The same govt that is being thrashed by Boko Haram and is actively seeking negotiations wants to face off with a well equipped MEND which has the potential to bring down the Nigerian economy,
MEND is so confident they announced the date and venue of their meeting, Tompolo moves around Warri in fully military guard and you think the army can face him...Naivete my friend grin

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by jinha(m): 6:55pm On Jul 23, 2015
nigerianvenom:
i just laugh in nupe
we are seriously waiting for them....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by jinha(m): 6:56pm On Jul 23, 2015
SenseiX:

The same govt that is being thrashed by Boko Haram and is actively seeking negotiations wants to face off with a well equipped MEND which has the potential to bring down the Nigerian economy,
MEND is so confident they announced the date and venue of their meeting, Tompolo moves around Warri in fully military guard and you think the army can face him...Naivete my friend grin
let him continue moving around if that's what he does best...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2015
jinha:

we are seriously waiting for them....

Just like you're waiting for bokoharam

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Idrismusty97(m): 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2015
All hail the mighty MEND! So what are they waiting for?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Liberty101: 6:59pm On Jul 23, 2015
Tompolo still receiving protection from military men #hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by LordVarys: 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
SenseiX:

Tompolo practically owns Delta State...sometime last year i passed his convoy in Warri, you''ll think he was the governor with the level of military protection he has, dude probably has the JTF in his pocket, plus he's pretty popular, something of a modern day Robin Hood, steals from the government to give to the poor.
He remains in my opinion the most dangerous man in nigeria, Jonathan was wise enough to keep him very close and give him goodies, Buhari should handle this issue with tact, that dude can bring down the nigerian economy.

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by jinha(m): 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
Themonster:

Just like you're waiting for bokoharam

you're absolutely correct....

when they're ready to attack... just lemme know... #oshisco
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 7:02pm On Jul 23, 2015
Op I raised this point earlier that Buhari is making enemies while he's still in hot soup.

first he terminated pipeline contract

second he ended amnesty

plus other provocations

and yet some people are blabbing that our army is equal to the task the same army tompolo single handedly defeated in ruthless obj regime.

hmmm all i can see is buhari making this country ungovernable for himself.

remember Nnamdi Kanu is watching in 3d

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Baawaa(m): 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
The message is not well deliver, mind you, the militants we see during JonaTan regime we shall see them no more during PMB regime.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
jinha:

you're absolutely correct....

when they're ready to attack... just lemme know... #oshisco

keep ranting in your bedroom because it changes nothing
#anumpama

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2015
Tompolo nor dey make noise, he nor be Asari.....he does his things codedly.......Camp 5 days back in 2009, he brought the Nigerian Army to their feet they had to beg him to accept amnesty, General Sarkin Yaki Bello can testify.

23 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 7:07pm On Jul 23, 2015
Baawaa:
The message is not well deliver, mind you, the militants we see during JonaTan regime we shall see them no more during PMB regime.

Just like Buhari is dealing with bokoharam now

my friend stop the chest beating and face the real facts here.

by the time tompolo will finish with Nigerian economy even the military will lack funds to fight bokoharam and you know what? North East will be history

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 7:09pm On Jul 23, 2015
lalasticlala maybe this thread deserves front page.

Buhari is waging multiple sophisticated war while he's still battling one.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 23, 2015
LordVarys:

Tompolo practically owns Delta State...sometime last year i passed his convoy in Warri, you''ll think he was the governor with the level of military protection he has, dude probably has the JTF in his pocket, plus he's pretty popular, something of a modern day Robin Hood, steals from the government to give to the poor.
He remains in my opinion the most dangerous man in nigeria, Jonathan was wise enough to keep him very close and give him goodies, Buhari should handle this issue with tact, that dude can bring down the nigerian economy.
I laugh when i see guys treat MEND with levity, they are not boko haram, these guys crippled Nigeria"s production so bad YarAdua had to beg them to accept amnesty,
One said SSS will easily pick him up, Tompolo wey nor dey hide for Waffi, make dem go Jakpa road go pick am now.

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by fulanimafia: 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2015

[img][/img]

Below:
Image 1: NNS EKUN, P183
Image 2: NNS SIRI P181
Image 3: Rear view shot of NNS Ayam P182, an Armacraft CROQ 1270(extreme left),an array of large patrol craft(in the distance) and a pair of Manta Mk.II ASD Littoral interceptors

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by jinha(m): 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2015
Themonster:

keep ranting in your bedroom because it changes nothing
#anumpama
u
telling us he's going to attack changes nothing either...

are you his PRO?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Baawaa(m): 7:12pm On Jul 23, 2015
Themonster:

Just like Buhari is dealing with bokoharam now

my friend stop the chest beating and face the real facts here.

by the time tompolo will finish with Nigerian economy even the military will lack funds to fight bokoharam and you know what? North East will be history
You mean one man can render Nigeria useless, that is not possible. Do you still remember Odi community, what about Henry Okah?Let Tompolo or what you call his name mess up,GMB not PMB will deal with him ruthlessly.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 23, 2015
Okay

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by YoruBanger: 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2015
Thank God for a forum like this one where frustrated and jobless youngins can come and express their fantasies about imaginary and utopian republics, infantantile postulations and prognosis about the imminent disintegration of the country, as well as channel their frustrations lest they lose their minds and run mad. Keyword here being fantasies cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Eden007(m): 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2015
Sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by LordVarys: 7:25pm On Jul 23, 2015
TheImp:

I laugh when i see guys treat MEND with levity, they are not boko haram, these guys crippled Nigeria"s production so bad YarAdua had to beg them to accept amnesty,
One said SSS will easily pick him up, Tompolo wey nor dey hide for Waffi, make dem go Jakpa road go pick am now.
That said i doubt they'll want to return to the creeks.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by letibab(f): 7:32pm On Jul 23, 2015
You must be high on something.
OBJ sent a minor expeditionary force to the SS and the whole SS started crying "genocide, genocide".

MEND is not foolish enough to attempt suicidal confrontation with Buhari, a war veteran!
If they do, Nigerians will not be moved by any crocodile tears until total annihilation of creek thugs and oil buccaneers is completed to zero man standing!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 7:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
Baawaa:

You mean one man can render Nigeria useless, that is not possible. Do you still remember Odi community, what about Henry Okah?Let Tompolo or what you call his name mess up,GMB not PMB will deal with him ruthlessly.

yeah it's not all about chest beating it's all about facts truth is that Nigeria military is weak to fight two sophisticated war now. remember bokoharam is still looking for a loophole to invade the whole north and if buhari channels his energy on ND.
ok what if tompolo blows all the pipeline in ND just like they are doing in Obj era that halted Nigeria.

mr talk with facts

talking about odi community in war there's no person right it's all people "left" so who later win? FG or ND

the earlier you realize that this man has Nigeria in his palm the better for you.

btw

obj and Buhari who's more ruthless cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 23, 2015
Look at the way these fools are hyping a militant. Some even say he's tougher than boko haram. Can he strap himself up with bomb? No, cos life is too sweet.

All the FG need to do is to seize his investment in nigeria, tell their foreign allies to do the same for the ones abroad then watch him cry.

The militants had a field day cos we all thought they were freedom fighters. But now that it's clear that they are only after their pockets, they will be bombarded alongside any village that abhors them.

Only fools believe a single man can hold nigeria to the ground.

Shekau did it cos we had a chicken-in-chief at the helm of affairs then.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by Themonster: 7:40pm On Jul 23, 2015
jinha:
u
telling us he's going to attack changes nothing either...

are you his PRO?

i repeat you know nothing

it's not all about NL ranting

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by omoelesa(m): 7:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
SenseiX:

Tompolo is now a combination of super man,hulk and king kong abi? Time shall tell.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Another War With Tompolo And MEND by virus05(m): 8:01pm On Jul 23, 2015
nigerianvenom:
i just laugh in nupe

i dey look them in 3d..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Saraki In Fresh Move Against CCB Trial / JUSUN Strike: Wike Threatens To Enforce No-Work-No-Pay Rule / Ganduje And Emir Sanusi At Eid Prayer This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.