Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,723 members, 7,824,054 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) (3315 Views)

"The Goals They Want To Achieve With New Biafra" - Tanko Yaksai / BREAKING: Enugu In Frenzy As Protest For Jonathan Rocks City (photo) / When Two Nigerian Presidents Arrived New York... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ibadantiti(f): 1:50pm On Jul 26, 2015
Lagos Competes with New York City

Their canoes drift on the water as piles of rubbish float outside their shacks.
Shabby shacks on stilts, floating waste and rickety boats fill the expanse of murky water.
But for the thousands of poor people forced to live in Nigeria's infamous Makoko slum in Lagos occupied by the people of the Yoruba ethnic group , this is their home. shocked
Every day life for the many fishermen and their families revolves around paddling and rowing through the filthy, oily water in the slum - but this does not stop the young children from beaming when they see a camera.
Authorities threatened to knock down the dilapidated homes, which are classed as 'illegal' buildings and have been branded an 'environmental nuisance', the BBC reported.
The threat, which was issued in July and gave residents just 72 hours notice, saw some homes reportedly having their stilts hacked off and shacks being destroyed.
The move struck fear in many of the dwellers hearts and they feared they would be left without shelter as they had nowhere to go or anyone to turn to.

But, months after the reported demolition warning, a group is now planning on building a floating school, in a bid to improve the lives of the youngsters who live in Makoko.
The settlement, which is built on Lake Lagos, is regarded as an eyesore by authorities as it is built on a huge waterfront.

Activists strongly criticised the clearance in July, saying the move would mean thousands would be displaced, the BBC reported.
The slum is visible from the bridge which connects the Nigerian mainland to the Lagos' rich island districts, and the eradication of the slum is part of a plan to clean up Lagos and improve its image.
The infamous slum was said to be created in the 18th century as a fishing village, but has ballooned as others have sought to find a home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209520/The-world-Nigerias-floating-slums-Heartbreaking-photos-reveal-struggle-villagers-forced-live-shacks-water.html

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
Oh! Our Dear Lagos..

Eko ni baje

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by coolestrogue(m): 1:55pm On Jul 26, 2015
So this is the lagos they are all shouting about, on my way to #port-harcourt

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by betty202020(m): 1:57pm On Jul 26, 2015
ibadantiti:
Lagos Competes with New York City

Their canoes drift on the water as piles of rubbish float outside their shacks.
Shabby shacks on stilts, floating waste and rickety boats fill the expanse of murky water.
But for the thousands of poor people forced to live in Nigeria's infamous Makoko slum in Lagos occupied by the people of the Yoruba ethnic group , this is their home. shocked
Every day life for the many fishermen and their families revolves around paddling and rowing through the filthy, oily water in the slum - but this does not stop the young children from beaming when they see a camera.
Authorities threatened to knock down the dilapidated homes, which are classed as 'illegal' buildings and have been branded an 'environmental nuisance', the BBC reported.
The threat, which was issued in July and gave residents just 72 hours notice, saw some homes reportedly having their stilts hacked off and shacks being destroyed.
The move struck fear in many of the dwellers hearts and they feared they would be left without shelter as they had nowhere to go or anyone to turn to.

But, months after the reported demolition warning, a group is now planning on building a floating school, in a bid to improve the lives of the youngsters who live in Makoko.
The settlement, which is built on Lake Lagos, is regarded as an eyesore by authorities as it is built on a huge waterfront.

Activists strongly criticised the clearance in July, saying the move would mean thousands would be displaced, the BBC reported.
The slum is visible from the bridge which connects the Nigerian mainland to the Lagos' rich island districts, and the eradication of the slum is part of a plan to clean up Lagos and improve its image.
The infamous slum was said to be created in the 18th century as a fishing village, but has ballooned as others have sought to find a home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209520/The-world-Nigerias-floating-slums-Heartbreaking-photos-reveal-struggle-villagers-forced-live-shacks-water.html
no na Las Vegas Lagos competes with. abi u wan degrade Yoruba dirty London.

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Demmocrats(m): 2:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Dannyset(m): 2:04pm On Jul 26, 2015
Makoko was one of the areas I used as a case study in my Project. I almost cried. I am not living in VGC, but I never expected that sight, It was horrible. I only felt for the people, but o understood that it is difficult to get rid of slums or shanties in some urban areas.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ibadantiti(f): 11:33pm On Aug 15, 2015
sad

And millions for website undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ibadantiti(f): 11:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
undecided

4 Likes

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by wadetaw202: 2:19am On Aug 16, 2015
betty202020:
no na Las Vegas Lagos competes with. abi u wan degrade Yoruba dirty London.

The useless cursed Igbo's have turned Lagos to a dirty place, the same way they turned aba to the dirtiest town in Africa. This is why I pray that biafla will become reality so that they can pack their bags and get lost from here.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ocelot2006(m): 5:46am On Aug 16, 2015
wadetaw202:

The useless cursed Igbo's have turned Lagos to a dirty place, the same way they turned aba to the dirtiest town in Africa. This is why I pray that biafla will become reality so that they can pack their bags and get lost from here.

You do know that you Yorubas are notorious for your TERRIBLE sanitary conditions, right? Just saying..

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by pontirock(m): 7:13am On Aug 16, 2015
ibadantiti:
undecided
One useless Igbo hiding under a yoruba moniker spotted

8 Likes

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by sherrylo: 10:12am On Aug 16, 2015
The name YORUBA alone they give some foolish people headache.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by tope3x(m): 11:06am On Aug 16, 2015
I will continue saying it....Lagos is over-rated
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by falekeokeowo(m): 11:24am On Aug 16, 2015
Call 08101314255 if you looking for husband/wife,promotion of work,low sperm count,diabetes/stroke/looking for a child/spiritual attacks/Contact baba line for spiritual healing home,ifa agbe wa oo
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by wadetaw202: 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2015
ocelot2006:

You do know that you Yorubas are notorious for your TERRIBLE sanitary conditions, right? Just saying..

And I guess it is Yoruba's that turned aba to the dirtiest city in Africa. Just observing...
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ocelot2006(m): 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2015
wadetaw202:

And I guess it is Yoruba's that turned aba to the dirtiest city in Africa. Just observing...

Oh don't get me wrong, Aba is a pigsty. But an average SW town ain't better. I should know cos I lived and schooled within the region. So it's kinda funny when you call the Igbos dirty when in fact your unsanitary condition is....well, kinda your trade mark known across the country. Again, an observation...

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by wadetaw202: 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
ocelot2006:

Oh don't get me wrong, Aba is a pigsty. But an average SW town ain't better. I should know cos I lived and schooled within the region. So it's kinda funny when you call the Igbos dirty when in fact your unsanitary condition is....well, kinda your trade mark known across the country. Again, an observation...

Well, it is good you confessed that aba is a pigsty. Now, how do you expect southwest to look with the consistent crowding of southwest by your flaaaaathead blodas from pigsty? Or must I painstakingly educate you that a pig would always take his dirty and filthy character wherever he goes with his flaaaaathead? Just asking...

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ocelot2006(m): 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2015
wadetaw202:

Well, it is good you confessed that aba is a pigsty. Now, how do you expect southwest to look with the consistent crowding of southwest by your flaaaaathead blodas from pigsty? Or must I painstakingly educate you that a pig would always take his dirty and filthy character wherever he goes with his flaaaaathead? Just asking...

What's far hilarious is a far worse pig notorious for its own slimy dirtiness calling another animal dirty. A black pot calling a kettle black.....just saying..

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by sweettinz20(m): 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
Lagos has some dirty places and very beautiful places
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by wadetaw202: 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2015
ocelot2006:

What's far hilarious is a far worse pig notorious for its own slimy dirtiness calling another animal dirty. A black pot calling a kettle black.....just saying..

What is beyond imagination is when he whose hands are not clean seeks to come to equity, forgetting that he who must come to equity must come with clean hands. I mean, it is deeply nonsensical, unreasonable and akin to thoughtlessness and shallow mindedness when a kettle, knowing he has the black stain, yet points to a pot and accuses him of being black. Yes, it is akin to moral blindness....just my thought.
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by wadetaw202: 5:14pm On Aug 16, 2015
ibadantiti:
undecided

I love those marks. God bless the Yoruba race. Anyone who is not happy about it can jump into the laggon or get buried in a natural grave (gully erosion)

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ZeezaRapture(m): 5:17pm On Aug 16, 2015
I will comment later
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ocelot2006(m): 6:32pm On Aug 16, 2015
wadetaw202:

What is beyond imagination is when he whose hands are not clean seeks to come to equity, forgetting that he who must come to equity must come with clean hands. I mean, it is deeply nonsensical, unreasonable and akin to thoughtlessness and shallow mindedness when a kettle, knowing he has the black stain, yet points to a pot and accuses him of being black. Yes, it is akin to moral blindness....just my thought.

Oh the kettle has never been known for dirtiness, the only exception being Aba. And if I recall, a member of the sooth stained pot's clan initiated the mud slinging. I don't recall any kettle retaliating in kind (yep, this poster ain't a kettle). The pot seem to have forgotten that it's lack of proper hygiene is......ehm, shall we say.....legendary? So like I said, absolutely hilarious. 'reminds me of the "glasshouse and stones" talk. Then again, just an observation....
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by wadetaw202: 8:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
ocelot2006:

Oh the kettle has never been known for dirtiness, the only exception being Aba. And if I recall, a member of the sooth stained pot's clan initiated the mud slinging. I don't recall any kettle retaliating in kind (yep, this poster ain't a kettle). The pot seem to have forgotten that it's lack of proper hygiene is......ehm, shall we say.....legendary? So like I said, absolutely hilarious. 'reminds me of the "glasshouse and stones" talk. Then again, just an observation....

The way I have come to know the kettle, he can be taken through the same condition as the pot. Come to think of it: if the kettle isn't a pig, how come its most populated cities, aba and Onitsha are as dirty as thy come? I once crossed The Niger into alaigbo on my way to obodo-uku, a village in Enugu state for a friend's burial and I was dismayed at the level of decay I saw at the Onitsha river bank; it underscored the fact that Igbo's are very dirty and I began to wonder if comparing them with a kettle would not be an insult on the kettle. I guess they are better compared with the kind of clay pot my grandmother used to cook her soup; the pot is black because its color is naturally black and to add spice to its blackness, I mean like the icing on a cake, it is usually used on firewood and this compounds its blackness and brings to mind Fela anikulapo's song, "dead body get accident." That is how bad Igbo's are.

Last time I checked, innumerable buses leave SE everyday on their ways to the same place they call zoo. They bring their dirty and tick-infested bodies down to the southwest and dirty our streets. Those of them, who stay back to do business make their ways to Onitsha and aba. Consequently, they dirty the place up. Maybe you want to query your mind and take a step inward into the cave of wonders that is your mind and ask yourself why the only cities heavily populated in alaIgbo are very dirty. Ask yourself why other cities, towns and villages not well populated by Igbo's are relatively clean. Like you confirmed, aba is a pigsty. What else resides in a pigsty if not a pig?
Yoruba's are well cultured people; I can boast of that wherever I go. No Yoruba from a good home would throw dirt all over. Get rid of Igbo's in Yoruba land and our streets can be clean again. And like I hinted earlier, never compare Igbo's with kettle anymore; it would be an insult on the kettle and the pot....just my unbiased opinion.
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by ibadantiti(f): 9:18am On Jul 27, 2017
You never know
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Biggie225(m): 9:27am On Jul 27, 2017
beautiful Lagos street

1 Like

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Markfemi2: 9:30am On Jul 27, 2017
This lagos pics are still finer than the entire biafuro
Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Markfemi2: 9:31am On Jul 27, 2017
More lagos

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Markfemi2: 9:32am On Jul 27, 2017
Clean Biafra land

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by Markfemi2: 9:33am On Jul 27, 2017
Clean. Biafra

Re: Lagos 'competes' With New York City (photo) by udeanaruagu: 9:36am On Jul 27, 2017
This is the side of Lagos they never would want you to see......they call it MARKETING!
Lagos is a leading economy in Africa. The contributions to the growth have been made by all tribes in Nigeria even in Africa. The yorubas cannot claim to be the owner of Lagos economy, infact they have very minimal contribution to the growth of the cosmopolitan state.

AMBODE are what they call her(...na woman na)do something immediately and stop this media glory you have....he is rerally under performing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Is The Change!!! Donald Trump Insults Nigeria Administration. / PUNCH- Buhari Government Lack Vision- US / Fashola Gives Conditions For Stable Power Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.