Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... (19093 Views)

Habu Sabo: I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian Soldier- Army Officer / Breaking: Just Before The Dawn; Let Biafra Go, Let Biafra Be.- Yoruba Elder / AWOLOWO VS OJUKWU (achievements And Records) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by OkutaNla: 3:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
chuna1985:

Fashola deported igbo, hausa and yoruba people from lagos.......weeks later he apologised to d igbos...connect it.

Guy, stop trying to shift goal-post. The real issue is, what are your leaders doing about stopping the influx of your unemployed and destitutes to the SW by the truckloads?

6 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by forgiveness: 3:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
He is the only NBA player to win NBA Most valuable player six times and he's among the greatest NBA players of all time behind Micheal Jordan, Bill Russell and Magic Johnson respectively.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr.; April 16, 1947) is an American retired professional basketball player who played 20 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA) for the Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers. During his career as a center, Abdul-Jabbar was a record six-time NBA Most Valuable Player (MVP), a record 19-time NBA All-Star, a 15-time All-NBA selection, and an 11-time NBA All-Defensive Team member. A member of six NBA championship teams as a player and two as an assistant coach, Abdul-Jabbar twice was voted NBA Finals MVP. In 1996, he was honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History. NBA coach Pat Riley and players Isiah Thomas and Julius Erving have called him the greatest basketball player of all time.[1][2][3][4][5]

After winning 71 consecutive basketball games on his high school team in New York City, Lew Alcindor attended college at UCLA, where he played on three consecutive national championship basketball teams and was a record three-time MVP of the NCAA Tournament.[6] Drafted by the one-season-old Bucks franchise in the 1969 NBA draft with the first overall pick, Alcindor spent six seasons in Milwaukee. After winning his first NBA championship in 1971, he adopted the Muslim name Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at age 24. Using his trademark "skyhook" shot, he established himself as one of the league's top scorers. In 1975, he was traded to the Lakers, with whom he played the last 14 seasons of his career and won five NBA championships. Abdul-Jabbar's contributions were a key component in the "Showtime" era of Lakers basketball. Over his 20-year NBA career his team succeeded in making the playoffs 18 times and past the 1st round in 14 of them; his team reached the NBA Finals 10 times.

At the time of his retirement in 1989, Abdul-Jabbar was the NBA's all-time leader in points scored (38,387), games played (1,560), minutes played (57,446), field goals made (15,837), field goal attempts (28,307), blocked shots (3,189), defensive rebounds (9,394), and personal fouls (4,657). He remains the all-time leading scorer in the NBA, and is ranked 3rd all-time in both rebounds and blocks. In 2007 ESPN voted him the greatest center of all time,[7] and in 2008 they named him the "greatest player in college basketball history."[8] Abdul-Jabbar has also been an actor, a basketball coach, and a best-selling author.[9][10] In 2012, he was selected by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to be a U.S. global cultural ambassador.[11]

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by forgiveness: 3:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Career playoff stats: 25.9 PPG, 11.2 RPG, 3.3 BPG

Accolades: 2 NBA titles, 2 Finals MVPs, 1 reg. season MVP

Mostly regarded as the most skilled big man in the history of the game, Hakeem Olajuwon's dominance on the inside was a thing of beauty. He abused many a defender with his trademark "Dream Shake" move. Olajuwon's game is so renowned that superstars like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard have looked to improve their game under his tutelage.

Offense aside, Olajuwon was one of the game's greatest defenders, partly evidenced by his 3.3 block-per-game average.

"The Dream" led a marginally-talented Houston Rockets team to back-to-back NBA Championships, winning two Finals MVPs and one regular season MVP. He is the only player in NBA history to win regular season MVP, Finals MVP and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season (1994).

1 Like

Club Edit
Bayern Munich[46]
Bundesliga: 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15
DFB-Pokal: 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013–14
DFL-Supercup: 2010, 2012
UEFA Champions League: 2012–13
UEFA Super Cup: 2013
FIFA Club World Cup: 2013
Individual Edit
Austrian Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014[47]
Austrian Sports Personality of the Year: 2013, 2014[48][49]
UEFA Team of the Year: 2013,[50] 2014[51]
ESM Team of the Year: 2014[52]
Outside football Edit

Alaba was chosen to be on the cover of FIFA 15 and FIFA 16 in Austria next to Lionel Messi.[53][54]

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by forgiveness: 3:56pm On Jul 29, 2015
Jeromi Iginla is the first black man to win gold at winter Olympics.

National Hockey League
Award Year Ref.
NHL All-Rookie Team 1997 [116]
First team All-Star 2002, 2008
2009 [116]
Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy
Leading goal scorer 2002, 2004 [117]
Art Ross Trophy
Leading point scorer 2002 [117]
Lester B. Pearson Award
Most Valuable Player as voted by the players 2002 [117]
Second team All-Star 2004 [116]
King Clancy Memorial Trophy
Leadership and humanitarian contributions 2004 [117]
NHL Foundation Player Award
commitment, perseverance and teamwork in the community 2004 [117]
Mark Messier Leadership Award 2009 [116]
International
Award Year Ref.
World Junior First All-Star team 1996 [118]
World Junior Best Forward 1996 [118]
Junior
Award Year Ref.
Memorial Cup Championship team 1994, 1995 [118]
George Parsons Trophy
Most sportsmanlike player of the Memorial Cup 1995 [11]
WHL West First All-Star team 1996 [119]
Four Broncos Memorial Trophy
WHL player of the year 1996 [120]
CHL First All-Star team 1996 [118]
Team awards
Award Year Ref.
Molson Cup
CGY – Most three star selections 2001, 2002
2003, 2004
2008, 2011 [121]
Ralph T. Scurfield Humanitarian Award
CGY – Humanitarian contributions 2001, 2002 [122]
J. R. McCaig Award
CGY – Respect, courtesy and compassion 2008 [122]

Iginla being honoured as part of a Molson Cup ceremony

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by forgiveness: 3:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
Daley Thompson
Daley Thompson
CBE

Daley Thompson at the 2007 Laureus Day
Personal information
Nationality British
Born 30 July 1958 (age 57)[1]
Notting Hill, London, United Kingdom[1]
Height 6 ft 0 in (183 cm)[1]
Weight 203 lb (92 kg)[1]
Sport
Sport Decathlon
Club Essex Beagles
Achievements and titles
Personal best(s) Decathlon 8,847 points
Medal record
International athletics competitions
Event 1st 2nd 3rd
Olympic Games 2 0 0
World Championships 1 0 0
European Championships 2 1 1
Commonwealth Games 3 1 0
Total 8 2 1
Competitor for  Great Britain
Men's athletics
Olympic Games
1980 Moscow Decathlon
1984 Los Angeles Decathlon
World Championships
1983 Helsinki Decathlon
European Championships
1982 Athens Decathlon
1986 Stuttgart Decathlon
1978 Prague Decathlon
1986 Stuttgart 4×100 m
Commonwealth Games
Competitor for  England
1978 Edmonton Decathlon
1982 Brisbane Decathlon
1986 Edinburgh Decathlon
1986 Edinburgh 4×100 m

CBE ribbon
Francis Morgan Ayodélé "Daley" Thompson CBE (born 30 July 1958),[2] is an English former decathlete. He won the decathlon gold medal at the Olympic Games in 1980 and 1984, and broke the world record for the event four times.

With four world records, two Olympic gold medals, three Commonwealth titles, and wins in the World and European Championships, Thompson is considered by many to be one of the greatest decathletes of all time (along with Bob Mathias and Dan O'Brien). Robert Chalmers described him as "the greatest all-round athlete this country [United Kingdom] has ever produced."[3]

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Bollove: 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
tayooluwole:
As we all know, Yoruba people are the pacesetters

-Momodu Mosobalaje Oyawoye is the first African
professor of Geology
Baba is from my place.

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
OkutaNla:

Guy, stop trying to shift goal-post. The real issue is, what are your leaders doing about stopping the influx of your unemployed and destitutes to the SW by the truckloads?

Igbos built most half of the houses n businesses in lagos...

This shows s waste r d main destitutes.

3 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by oluwalfa: 4:16pm On Jul 29, 2015
OkutaNla:

Like I adviced Tayo, you are deranged and living in your own fantasyland. Even the way you write exposes your mental imbalance. My origin and history are not in doubt. It is you Biafrans who are still suffering from psychological hangover over your defeat in the last war, since then you've been looking for anything that would boost your collective self-esteems and egos, and make you feel like 'somebody' cheesy so you cookup all kinds of bizarre theories and foolishness. You can continue if it makes you feel good about yourselves, it doesn't affect my life in anyway.

We are international players (our men and women are the only Pulitzer and Nobel prize winners in Africa, current president of Benin Republic is a yorubaman), while you all are local champions ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_people vs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people ). All those people you list up there cannot hold a candle to Yorubas in terms of achievements and added value (One Mike Adenuga owner of Glo who has created tens of thousands of jobs, is worth more than all those people you listed up there). I repeat that you are delusional.

If you guys are so achieving, why do you quake whenever we mention Biafra?

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by vega84(m): 4:18pm On Jul 29, 2015
Yorubas?! Which head una be,fish head abi chicken head mstchewww. See yeye amala man wan form pacesetter fr naija ooo, Taaa go hide #vegatalks

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by OkutaNla: 4:19pm On Jul 29, 2015
chuna1985:

LMAO. For your mind! We all know where most of your people live in Lagos (the ghetto areas of Ajegunle, Oshodi, Mushin, Olodi Apapa, Festac and environs). In short they can't even afford the high-brow areas of Magodo, Ikoyi, Lekki/Ajah, Ikeja GRA, Ilupeju, e.t.c., which are the exclusive preserve of Yorubas. Your businesses pass trading, spare-parts selling, pirated cds, gala and stuff? The real businesses and sectors that count are controlled by Yorubas, a la Service industries, Real Estate, Banking, Telecoms, Insurance, Education, Health, Manufacturing, Construction, e.t.c. Guy, put down your weed please. Lagos is no Anambra where all you do there is trade.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by OkutaNla: 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
oluwalfa:

If you guys are so achieving, why do you quake whenever we mention Biafra?

I want Igbos to have Biafra, since that is what the VAST majority of you all seem to want. For real. If it'll reduce the chest-thumping and noise, hell yeah I want it. The only grouse I have is with Kanu's abuse and threats on Yorubas. Remove that and I'm pro-Biafra. Happy now? cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
OkutaNla:

LMAO. For your mind! We all know where most of your people live in Lagos (the ghetto areas of Ajegunle, Oshodi, Mushin, Olodi Apapa, Festac and environs). In short they can't even afford the high-brow areas of Magodo, Ikoyi, Lekki/Ajah, Ikeja GRA, Ilupeju, e.t.c., which are the exclusive preserve of Yorubas. Your businesses pass trading, spare-parts selling, pirated cds, gala and stuff? The real businesses and sectors that count are controlled by Yorubas, a la Service industries, Real Estate, Banking, Telecoms, Insurance, Education, Health, Manufacturing, Construction, e.t.c. Guy, put down your weed please. Lagos is no Anambra where all you do there is trade.

Looooooooooooooooooool. S waste, I'm sure u live in ogbomosho...u have never been to lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Omenkata: 4:28pm On Jul 29, 2015
disumusa:
you forgoten that ojuku later poison himself with otapiapia as a result of psychological frustration.

Nope he died naturally but Awolawo died by rat poison isn't it? grin

4 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by OkutaNla: 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
chuna1985:

Looooooooooooooooooool. S waste, I'm sure u live in ogbomosho...u have never been to lagos.

Anywhere but the S beast is fine by me. Thenx.

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by CSTR2: 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by BermudaTriangle(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
OkutaNla:

And Ojukwu was the first general to ja for his life to Ivory Coast, after overseeing the massacre of his people and witnessing the decimation of his pet-project Biafra. cheesy

And Ojukwu the war general did so disguised in female sket and blouse, what a shame !

5 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by BermudaTriangle(m): 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2015
I have always thanked God for creating me a descendant of Oduduwa and always will.
Thanks, Op, this serves as impetus to the rest of Ooduans. God bless you.

4 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Fleshly: 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2015
OkutaNla:

Hahahaha! Liberation indeed. Since your capitulation and embarrassing defeat in that war, your people have remained slaves to the Nigerian federation. That's why you all are still crying for freedom. Only slaves ask for freedom. Una be our bbitchees. grin

Mumu, what we all know the yolubass to be are a gang of sycophantic lunatics, who unfortunately are sycophants to the people they are better than (fulani).

if I'm to list the achievements of the Ibos' the entire yorubaboon land will not contain them!
Idiat!
Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by BermudaTriangle(m): 5:28pm On Jul 29, 2015
chuna1985:

Crass fantasy. Keep believing in your falsehood if only to console yourselves. You ibos are not worthy of time for debate because of your ego-centrisism.
Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Fleshly: 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
kotv:

if anybody else made this statement, yoruba are usually the first to type chest beater but here are the hypocrites doing exactly what they condemn.
inferiority complex is heavy in yoruba people.

I tell ya, very useless bunch of hypocrites.
One of the worst turn off i have in life, is when people live hypocritical lifestyle.

I'm from Delta state, and I claim to be Ibo just to identify with a major tribe in Nigeria, however also, the reason I love the Igbo man is that he makes no pretension of where he stands and where he chose to be, this is a major quality characteristics i found with the Ibos'. Just look into the eyes of any Igbo man and you will have a feeling of his thoughts.

On the other hand yorubas' appear damn too hypocritical and unstable (almost in everything). They are neither here nor there, i find this attitude extremely repulsive and unworthy of any tribe. GUSH!

7 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by BermudaTriangle(m): 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
vega84:
Yorubas?! Which head una be,fish head abi chicken head mstchewww. See yeye amala man wan form pacesetter fr naija ooo, Taaa go hide #vegatalks

You are so pained, oh sorry. But we are talking of record here and not hear-say. Note: Those who respect the great pave the way for their own greatness. Conversely, refusal to acknowledge the greatness of another locks the door to your own greatness, period.

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by BermudaTriangle(m): 5:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
Omenkata:

Nope he died naturally but Awolawo died by rat poison isn't it? grin

Ojukwu swallowed otapiapia out of frustration. He foamed in the mouth at death. Thats a fact, don't deny a fact of history.

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Imokay: 5:39pm On Jul 29, 2015
Chiaka:

My main issue is that yorubas are always aiding the north to be in power as long as this continues we can hardly achieve true federalism, north likes to grab power in order to maintain the current imbalance and injustice in the system and this move continues to drag the country backward and not forward.

Lies, in the 1st republic, Zik the Ibo leader teamed up with northern led NPC to form the government controlled by Sardauna, in the 2nd republic many ibos teamed up with NPN to elect a northerner as president with an Ibo man as vice president. Even the June 12, 1993 elections most Ibos voted for Tofa with another Ibo man as deputy.

This dispensation is the first time Yorubas will cast majority of their votes for a president of Northern extraction mainly because of his anti-corruption stance.

Can anybody point out where Yorubas have 'ALWAYS' been aiding the North to get power?

8 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Imokay: 5:41pm On Jul 29, 2015
mezzyg:
i have checked all the yorubas achievement but its only first they can boast of and not a single innovation/discovery compared to the Jews in nigeria known as the Biafra people who are stunning the world with their innovations and creativity. By now you should know that records shows that 90% of world discovery/innovations are by Jews and that igbo people are jews; you cannot beat them in creativity, innovation and achievements.

You are yet to deal with your inherent inferiority complex, any evidence any Ibo knows anything about Jews before Oyinbo men brought the Bible?

1 Like

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Omenkata: 5:44pm On Jul 29, 2015
BermudaTriangle:

Ojukwu swallowed otapiapia out of frustration. He foamed in the mouth at death. Thats a fact, don't deny a fact of history.

Nope he didn't he died at old age unlike the rat poison king that took rat poison because he's a coward
Awolawo is a rat poison king grin

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by ArodewilliamsT: 5:46pm On Jul 29, 2015
tayooluwole:

Guy, you are just ranting like a hungry idiot... I said it earlier on, all these technology you are chest-beating about are directly copied from OYINBO, this can be done by any tribe. Just like BH produces the bomb they use themselves. Should we attribute BOMB to BH ? Again, name the technology that is Igbo-initiative...don't come here and start mentioning what Oyinbo produced and been using in their domain time immemorial. If OYIBO had not made Gun, had not made refineries, and some other technologies you produced during civil war, would Igbo-flat-dull-brainwatery-and-stinking-head would have tought of producing those technology? I'm daring you for the last time, mention 5 achievements in the technological world that is attributable to Igbo-initiatives.... Yoruba is the best, quit hatred mr man...ok ?

What is the oyinbo equivalent of Igbo Ukwu. Where did the Igbos copy that technology from?
Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Imokay: 6:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
OkutaNla:

Like I adviced Tayo, you are deranged and living in your own fantasyland. Even the way you write exposes your mental imbalance. My origin and history are not in doubt. It is you Biafrans who are still suffering from psychological hangover over your defeat in the last war, since then you've been looking for anything that would boost your collective self-esteems and egos, and make you feel like 'somebody' cheesy so you cookup all kinds of bizarre theories and foolishness. You can continue if it makes you feel good about yourselves, it doesn't affect my life in anyway.

We are international players (our men and women are the only Pulitzer and Nobel prize winners in Africa, current president of Benin Republic is a yorubaman), while you all are local champions ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_people vs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people ). All those people you list up there cannot hold a candle to Yorubas in terms of achievements and added value (One Mike Adenuga owner of Glo who has created tens of thousands of jobs, is worth more than all those people you listed up there). I repeat that you are delusional.

Chei! see finishing, so important achievers in iboland are not more than 12? compared to 54 Yorubas identified by wikipedia

3 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by vega84(m): 6:08pm On Jul 29, 2015
BermudaTriangle:

You are so pained, oh sorry. But we are talking of record here and not hear-say. Note: Those who respect the great pave the way for their own greatness. Conversely, refusal to acknowledge the greatness of another locks the door to your own greatness, period.
. Sorry which greatness are u talking abt? Which record? .if eating amala and cowardice is greatness then I dnt wana be part of it. See youruba man de talk of greatness Hah ahah I don suffer! Taaaaa park well dirty tins #vegatalks

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
BermudaTriangle:

Crass fantasy. Keep believing in your falsehood if only to console yourselves. You ibos are not worthy of time for debate because of your ego-centrisism.

You yorubas shuld stop carrying placards with theme - ""IGBOS SHOULD LEAVE LAGOS""

Lmao, we have taken over.
Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by tuniski: 6:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
Chiaka:

My main issue is that yorubas are always aiding the north to be in power as long as this continues we can hardly achieve true federalism, north likes to grab power in order to maintain the current imbalance and injustice in the system and this move continues to drag the country backward and not forward.
no igbos are always helping hausas to usurp nigeria until tinubu goofed by helping buhari to scam nigeria. This is the 1st time yoruba is being VP to hausa in our democracy. It has always been igbos both inec and other usurping agencies.
Re: Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
Imokay:

Chei! see finishing, so important achievers in iboland are not more than 12? compared to 54 Yorubas identified by wikipedia

Articles on Wikipedia are written by humans...can also be edited by humans...

But finally, read up prof kenneth dike n prof Eni njoku

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Analysis On Vanguard Published 'Crack In Militant Camp Widens' / Nigerian Senators Earn More Than Trump, UK PM - Oyebola / Atiku, Obi Lied 6 Times During Town Hall Programme — APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.