Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} (44533 Views)

Reactions Over Rats In President Buhari's Office / Police: We Cant Jam Radio BIAFRA / Obasanjo, Shehu Yar'adua And T.Y. Danjuma At Dodan Barracks In 1978 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 01, 2015
Na the bad things una dey do to innocent Nigerians dey show for una body,if FG like make dem build duplexes for una,the sin ontop una head go still linger
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Khameal007(m): 11:30am On Aug 01, 2015
This is paradise compared to the police academy....
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by sharperino(m): 11:31am On Aug 01, 2015
The sight of their living condition in the barracks most times is pitiable...
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by princebishop(m): 11:38am On Aug 01, 2015
ok

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by akigbemaru: 11:54am On Aug 01, 2015
naija police
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by xreal: 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
This is just the beginning.

I wake up everyday and curse police force. ( I know many Nigerians do same)

Now the road-block are back.
We will begin to read news of stray bullets killing innocent road users.
We will begin to read news of uiniformed gang robbing.
We will begin.......

Infact, NEPA officials are not as CURSED as the POLICE.

May rats continue to live better than the police force do.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by DEMADON(m): 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2015
The Gov should do something good about it.
No wonder if some police go to an international ex court they will be doing like village pple....they lack the knowldge from their home lollz
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
They should ask their oga's-at-the-top what they use the money allocated to the Nigeria police force for

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by 400billionman: 1:07pm On Aug 01, 2015
I support a revolution in this country.

Nigerian leaders deserve to be murdered.. when I mean leaders, the senior officers in politics, police army or any government parastatal included. Why are Nigerians so wicked to themselves ?

There is this young officer who rented a one room self contained apartment outside the Barracks. I often hear him rejoice at the amenities he enjoys, light and water, with a one room space to himself. I was like, is this really an achievement? That lends credence to this report

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Otunbatrafford: 1:18pm On Aug 01, 2015
Rats are even far better. You all live like cockroaches. Use the 20,20 naira u are getting from Nigerian road users to better your lives. Idiat.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by erico2k2(m): 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
ibrokola:

Getting rid of the barracks lead to insecurity
how does that lead to insecurity.or are you confused on the difference between a police station and a barrack? One is a place of work the other is a place of residence. Does the fact that we have NEPAL quarters guarantee power in such quaters?
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by erico2k2(m): 1:48pm On Aug 01, 2015
LastProphet:
Blacks have no clue how to solve problems at the roots, re the authorities aware that the average police officer has more children than his salary can cater to? If you put 10 children in a one bedroom facility how do you expect the house to look like? or 2 wives in a small flat? We have no idea of the root causes of our problems, are police told how many kids they cant have? Has that ever occurred to anybody? But this is not to say there is neglect but what I mean is that there is also an equally serious reason
Great stuff.would it not be nice for government to pat the 20 mon they contribution of housing back to their salary so they can rent or build a house of their choice just like evry other civil servants? Just like the UK and US do.that way there shall be no urgly seens like this.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 01, 2015
Whn wld we have responsible leaders in naija?security,power,health,water,education shd be d primary focus of govt

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by erico2k2(m): 1:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
yeshi:
Is it compulsory dt police liv in d barracks? Why can't they rent an apartment outside? Afterall, NSCDC don't av one.
exactly.teachers do not have one and LG staff don't have.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by unknown87: 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2015
And you give a man whose family lives in such conditions an AK-47 rifle charged with a fully loaded magazine at the least to protect people who live in much better conditions with their family. How do you think they'll do the job?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by October1960: 2:24pm On Aug 01, 2015
Money meant to develop the country have been stolen by government officials and politicians for the past 30 years plus.

The conditions shown here is similar for most of the country.

Come and see how your former Governors and perm secs are living with the money stolen while in office. They even have homes in UK and US plus Swiss bank accounts filled with stolen money.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by donodion(m): 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2015
IYANGBALI:
the NPF deserves no pity. Majority o hvf them are animals in human skin
I do agree with you...but you must also agree with me no one was born wicked.Our enviroemt,family exposure and background exposed so many to turn and become less caring.
Please read the statement of the cop, " see where we and our family sleep while you sleep in mansion".....he was only been dramatic with the mansion angle but it points to the sub-human condition these men and women are subjected to.

Fault is not entirely the men and women of the NPF, the system breeding and training them is.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by IYANGBALI: 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
donodion:

I do agree with you...but you must also agree with me no one was born wicked.Our enviroemt,family exposure and background exposed so many to turn and become less caring.
Please read the statement of the cop, " see where we and our family sleep while you sleep in mansion".....he was only been dramatic with the mansion angle but it points to the sub-human condition these men and women are subjected to.

Fault is not entirely the men and women of the NPF, the system breeding and training them is.
ok because of you,I will pity them small,very very small

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by dubai92(f): 2:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
funkebisibisi:
He was drenched with sweat by the time he wriggled himself through the narrow entrance of his room into the passageway. Looking very depressed and drowsy that Thursday afternoon, he dragged himself along the hole-ridden passage and collapsed into the rickety sofa beside the staircase that leads to the upper floors in one of the buildings in the barracks.

With frustration written all over his face, Emma Uden (not real names), a sergeant in the police, kept muttering to himself, but dosed off few minutes later. Apparently disturbed by the music blaring in his neighbourhood, Uden could not but open his eyes feebly and intermittently.

His pain was obvious to anyone who came across him, but the reason for his frustration was largely unknown. However, as Uden would later tell our correspondent in a conversation he grudgingly consented to, since the apartment allotted to him in the barracks collapsed in June last year, he and his family had been living in the kitchen of one of the dilapidated buildings in Pedro police barracks, Somolu, Lagos. That was his main frustration.

“It was the only alternative we had at that time,” he said, as he unbuttoned his shirt to enjoy some fresh air.

Since he and his family were constrained to live in a room (kitchen), he said life had become one of bitterness and frustration. To escape the intense heat of the day and the constant constraint of space that his family of six could never live comfortably with, Uden had been used to sitting outside anytime he was home.

Hoping that respite could eventually come his way if he opened up to Saturday PUNCH, Uden wasted no time in leading our correspondent to his room where he lives with his wife and their four children. He opened the door and lowered his head as he made to enter, to avoid being bruised on the head by the doorframe. As he opened the curtain for our correspondent to enter, the odour, which seemed like a mixture of wet rug and accumulated sweat, that oozed out of the stuffy room was disturbing and could make anybody puke.

The room was like a store reserved for unused household items. The only window in the room appeared dysfunctional while the base of the wall that was visible was seriously dampened, and the ceiling riddled with signs of serious dilapidation. Expectedly, Uden, whose four children had occupied the only bed in the room, appeared discomfited by the state of the place he called home as he continually scratched his head to look for the right words.

Even though he is not alone in such a tortuous situation in the premises, he said he had resorted to coming home just to sleep, unless he was off duty. This, he said, was to avail his family some space in the room and that sometimes he would rather stay in his office or volunteer to go on patrol, all in a bid to stay away from home. They don’t even live alone in the house, occasionally, the family live with big rats that find their way out of the broken septic tank located close to the kitchen into the room.

He said, “When we were still living in the room and parlour before our building collapsed last year, we were managing because of the small space, not to talk of now that we have just one room, which used to be a kitchen. It’s like living in a cave. That is the lot of most of us.

“Can you imagine that? We live in a kitchen, and you want policemen to be your friends while you all live in your comfortable mansions. You expect us to carry rifle and risk our lives to protect people. Haba!”

His passionate expression of grief was second to none, even though he said he had concluded arrangements to leave the barracks for a room and parlour accommodation he secured somewhere in Bariga area of Lagos.

He added, “If nobody takes care of us, we will take care of ourselves, because apart from the space issue, we (residents of this barracks) queue to use toilet and bathroom, because the ones available are not adequate. So we queue to bathe every morning. Here, three-room and parlour flats share one toilet and bathroom. For me and my family who live in an abandoned kitchen, we pair with another flat. So, we join the queue every morning.

“Don’t forget that we are all adults with families. I feel ashamed that I go through this every morning? Tell those people in government what you saw here. Let them know we are suffering. Even when we get to the office, we either sit under the tree or stand in the sun.”

Some other policemen in the barracks who shared Uden’s views, lamented over the poor state of infrastructure in the barracks, saying they had always been living in perpetual fear for their lives, occasioned by the decrepit buildings.

As our correspondent observed during the visit, almost all the buildings in the barracks had obvious signs of imminent collapse. In fact, the derelict of the block six that collapsed last year gives an impression that the collapse must have been imminent before it happened.

‘I cry when I look at my children’

One of Uden’s neighbours, who also lives in a room and parlour, told Saturday Punch that it is interesting that Nigerians expect so much from policemen they are not well taken care of. He said the hardship and the living condition he had had to subject his four children and his pregnant wife to made him cry sometimes.

Fighting back tears, he said, “Sometimes, when I look at the way my children sleep on the floor, sweat almost all the time because of the poor ventilation, and the obvious frustration and inconvenience written on their faces, I cry. I know that they are not happy with the situation, but they are helpless.

“I pity them when I see them going out to look for water, living in such a condition. Sometimes, when I’m at work, I think about them and it affects me. These things make me cry, silently. Sometimes, we are on the same queue at the entrance of the bathroom. You can imagine that. Which father will be proud of such?”

The situation at the Pedro Barracks is akin to what obtains in many other barracks across the country. It also revealed how barracks that used to be a status symbol for policemen have become a shadow of death in disguise.

In the past, it was mandatory for police officers and men to live in the barracks, as they were prevented from living among ‘civilians,’ but years after, the reverse is now the case.

These days, the status symbol is for any policeman worth his salt to live outside the barracks due to the ignominious life that obtains in there. Some of them even said jokingly that they live like prisoners.

This shift, as pointed out by the policemen who have lived in the barracks for many years, was due to the lack of maintenance of the barracks, increasing population with no attendant improvement in facilities and the refusal of the government to build new barracks for policemen...

http://www.punchng.com/feature/super-saturday-feature/we-live-like-rats-yet-nigerians-want-us-to-be-their-friends-policemen-living-in-dilapidated-barracks/
d 1st pix is nt a police barrack.it shuld b army barracks, n d road wiv d airconditions, are for dos army dat are bck frm operation in sudan or Liberia.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by persius555(m): 3:01pm On Aug 01, 2015
A fellow police officer decides to embezzle the funds meant for your upkeep, then you decide to vent your anger by coming down harshly on the citizens you swore to protect. That is very unjustly and unjustified. The last time, it was the civil populace who through the social media brought the abject and eyesore pictures of the living conditions of the ikeja police barrack to public glare before the authourities hurriedly started putting things in place. The police should learn to be humane when dealing with the public.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by don89(m): 3:19pm On Aug 01, 2015
TOO BAD .I HEARD THEY EVEN BUY UNIFORM FOR THEMSELVES WITH THEIR MEAGER SALARY. DIARIZ GOD OO CHAI! NAIJA NAIJA NAIJA ,HOW UNA WANT MAKE DEM FIGHT CORRUPTION?
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by precious1967(m): 3:47pm On Aug 01, 2015
hmmm... what are they doing wit road blocks and bail is free money?
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by refreshrate: 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2015
bastien:
If u no fit stay barracks rent house outside

Over confirm guy chop knuckle abeg.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by refreshrate: 4:54pm On Aug 01, 2015
don89:
TOO BAD .I HEARD THEY EVEN BUY UNIFORM FOR THEMSELVES WITH THEIR MEAGER SALARY. DIARIZ GOD OO CHAI! NAIJA NAIJA NAIJA ,HOW UNA WANT MAKE DEM FIGHT CORRUPTION?

Na me for buy uniform for dem?

If dem like make dem no buy. Really piss me off that lot, in fact they dont even deserve this much luxury theyre enjoying in rhese pictures.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 01, 2015
The moral of the story : be wary of any policeman you come across. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by PecE2Make: 5:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
As the NPF live like rat, they also act like rat.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by bastien: 7:06pm On Aug 01, 2015
refreshrate:

Over confirm guy chop knuckle abeg.
I chop o
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by donodion(m): 7:13pm On Aug 01, 2015
IYANGBALI:
ok because of you,I will pity them small,very very small
Thanks my person...all NPF personnel reading this should realise by now the deep seated hatred citizens bare for them.Nevertheless we hope this reaches Mr President and wind of Change blows on NPF.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by EasternLion: 8:20pm On Aug 01, 2015
AwesomelyMade:

Lest I forget, don't show this to Nnamdi Kanu, else he would want to justify his descrption of this country as a zoo.

Hahaha, he picked on it and dissected zoo police and the wretched way they are being treated by their ogas at the top.
Re: Nigeria Police - We Live Like Rats In The Barracks {picture} by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 01, 2015
Ptui! Smelling humans! The dullard is travelling around African nations in his illiteracy! I am very angry with that country and the leaders angry angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided cry cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill Driver, Set Bus Ablaze In Enugu / Idris Abolaji Ajimobi Turbaned As Dangatan Kano (Photos) / Court Grants DSS Order to Remand Nnamdi Kanu Till July 26

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.