Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,623 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor (1393 Views)

Joseph Obayemi, Pastor Adeboye's Successor's Sermon / Adeboye Retires As RCCG GO, Obayemi Named Successor / Islamic Caliph Emulates Muhammad By Raping A Sexx Slave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 02, 2015
For a man so mysterious that there are only two known photographs of him, it was a brazen public debut. The most wanted man in the Middle East, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is also one of the most elusive, an evanescent figure behind the Islamist insurrection sweeping the Syrian and Iraqi interior.

And yet according to jihadist websites at the weekend, here he was on video openly rallying the adepts of the new Islamic state he had just pronounced in the largest city that his fighters had taken. Clad in black robes that invoked a distant, almost mythical phase of Islamic history, Baghdadi gave a half-hour sermon during Friday prayers in Mosul and led worship inside one of the most important Islamic sites in Iraq in open defiance of the US intelligence officials who have put a $10m bounty on his head.

In doing so, he laid down a challenge not only to the authorities in Baghdad and the foreign powers that want stability in the country, but to the radical Islamist mothership from which the Isis movement broke – al-Qaida, and its current leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Those present at the grand mosque in Mosul had no idea who would be preaching on Friday. But as the bearded figure made his entrance, he was introduced to them simply as "your new caliph Ibrahim".

"I am not better than you or more virtuous than you," Baghdadi says in the video. "If you see me on the right path, help me. If you see me on the wrong path, advise me and halt me. And obey me as far as I obey God."

Baghdadi was born Ibrahim Awad al-Badari in 1971 near Samarra, a city 50 miles north of Baghdad. He took a master's degree and a PhD in Islamic studies at the University of Islamic Sciences in the Baghdad suburb of Adhamiya. When the US invaded Iraq in March 2003, the pious Baghdadi was still studying and was not thought to be connected to either al-Qaida or its local offshoot in the early years of resistance.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/06/abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-isis

Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 02, 2015
But by late 2005 he had been captured as a suspected mid-ranking figure in the anti-US Sunni insurgency. His jailers at Camp Bucca detention centre in southern Iraq have described him as inconspicuous.

After his release he was recruited to the military council of the Islamic State, acting as a key adviser to the then leader, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi. At the time the group was engaged in the intense sectarian war with Iraq's majority Shia and their militias.

"He wasn't the most impressive guy in the organisation," said another Islamic State member who spent time with Baghdadi in prison. "He wasn't even really a standout. He was a mid-ranking loyalist until he was freed."

Six months in detention was a major step in his transformation from devout Muslim to committed jihadist. However, it was another four years before he would assume the leadership of the movement, taking over from Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, who was killed in a US-led raid near Falluja.

He set about turning it from a local branch of al-Qaida into a distinct, independent force with a clear agenda: to re-establish a Sunni caliphate across Iraq and Syria.

Still, Baghdadi remained an unknown quantity until early last year when Isis started to make real inroads on the battlefields of northern Syria.

By the summer it had ousted a second jihadist group, Jabhat al-Nusra, and stamped its authority over the northern Aleppo countryside. It then set up a base in the eastern Syrian city of Raqaa, commandeering Syria's eastern oilfields and moving steadily eastwards towards Falluja and Ramadi in Iraq's Anbar province.

An Isis supporter in Raqqa, Syria.
A senior Iraqi intelligence official told the Guardian that Baghdadi's determination to trump his rivals had led him to twice defy Zawahiri in the past year. The official said the most recent contact between the pair was on 4 June, days before Isis stormed Mosul and Tikrit.

"We intercepted letters between them, and the last one was Zawahiri complaining about Baghdadi writing to him to say he did not recognise his authority," the official said. "They were regularly swapping letters for several months. They were hand delivered and the turnaround was usually around 10 days."

The appearance of Baghdadi in the open in Mosul is deeply embarrassing for Iraqi officials who were caught hopelessly unawares when Isis militants began overrunning swaths of the Iraqi north last month.

The fragility of the state military has been exposed regularly ever since, with a 500-mile stretch of the border with Syria now under control of the insurgents, along with most of Anbar province and many of northern Iraq's military arsenals.

The besieged prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, has constantly claimed to be making gains on the battlefields, but his forces are yet to claw back any of the losses to Isis.

And as the national military flounders, Shia militias are increasingly mobilising, with many members openly fighting out of sectarian motivations rather than a sense of patriotism.

Iraqi officials are scrambling to determine whether the video is genuine. The Guardian has spoken to two people who have met Baghdadi, both of whom said they were certain he was the man in the video.

Hisham al-Hashimi, a senior Iraqi researcher on Islamic militancy, said Baghdadi's choice of attire and language showed he was trying to liken himself to the earliest caliphs, especially those who ruled during the Abbasid period, a flourishing but brutal time in Islamic history.

Baghdadi had little new to say in his sermon, relying heavily on verses from the Qur'an and the words of other caliphs, in particular Abu Bakr Saddiq, the first caliph, who led the Islamic world after the death of the prophet Muhammad.

Scholars in Baghdad say the fact that Baghdadi can trace his lineage back to the Muslim prophet gives him significant leverage under sharia law, making it difficult for any senior cleric to contest his legitimacy as an Islamic leader.

"He is trying to seize a moment," said Hashimi. "He truly does believe he is a man worthy of historical comparison. He has all the all the criteria and the conditions. He belongs to the family tree."

In recent weeks Iraqi officials have attempted to suggest that Baghdadi is a deluded figure overcome by hubris. Some even suggested that he was the contemporary equivalent of a Jonestown cult leader, brainwashing followers into blindly following him in a nihilistic grab for power and influence.

However, the gains that Isis has made over two countries in such a short time suggest that its leadership is highly organised and efficient. "He is rational," said Hashimi.

"He thinks very clearly about what he is doing. He is deeply ideological and committed.

"He is also very determined to make himself into the one true ruler of Sunni Islam."

In Baghdad, the appearance of the video was met with alarm and curiosity in equal measure.

Azima Zahra, a resident of the capital, said Baghdadi's image would give her nightmares for weeks.
"He is what I thought he would be: a cold, mean and cruel man who thinks he is a prophet," she said. "He will lead us all to ruin."
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by lolade123: 1:57pm On Aug 02, 2015
So the CIA have successfully invented another Osama bin Ladin... Good job America... GOD IS WACTHING
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 02, 2015
lolade123:
[s]So the CIA have successfully invented another Osama bin Ladin... Good job America... GOD IS WACTHING[/s]

CIA invented muhammed too abi?
olodo

2 Likes

Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Demmzy15(m): 2:11pm On Aug 02, 2015
God!! This OP is dumb grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
rafhell:

CIA invented muhammed too abi?
olodo

Abi oh the average muslim as been programmed to blame others for the evils of their religion.
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
Jagoon:

Abi oh the average muslim as been programmed to blame others for the evils of their religion.

That is the problem with the average muslim. they live in self denial. always blaming others.
these people are merely following the footsteps of their prophet.
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by ByfireByfire: 4:04pm On Aug 02, 2015
Demmzy15:

Can you even spell dumb? Once the truth is clearly exposed about your murderous Religion all you say is dumb. Can you muslims for once be truthful?

Even Christians are sometimes sincere enough to expose the deep shortfalls of their pastors, churches and G.O but never a muslim.

You fellas hate truth to infinity and are willing to shed blood to keep the truth about your despicable practices from being exposed.

2 Likes

Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Demmzy15(m): 4:12pm On Aug 02, 2015
ByfireByfire:

[s]Can you even spell dumb? Once the truth is clearly exposed about your murderous Religion all you say is dumb. Can you muslims for once be truthful?

Even Christians are sometimes sincere enough to expose the deep shortfalls of their pastors, churches and G.O but never a muslim.

You fellas hate truth to infinity and are willing to shed blood to keep the truth about your despicable practices from being exposed.[/s]
I would have preferred you keep quiet if you have nothing upstairs. Were you blind when Muslims have created countless threads refuting ISIS, Boko Haram, etc?! You guys are damn annoying and spoilt, guy in your life don't ever quote me and spill sh't again.

https://www.nairaland.com/2461107/saudi-arabia-says-it-stopped

https://www.nairaland.com/2449108/it-criminal-unjust-ascribe-actions

https://www.nairaland.com/2343354/did-khilaafah-end-1924-response

https://www.nairaland.com/2345692/youth-today-enticed-khawarij-insurgents
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
This Bagdadi or bigdaddy is now d new caliph after mohammed.. I tot he was a terrorist naa.. oh I forget all moslems are terrorist and all terrorists are not muslims.... however, CIA never get him time, wen him time reach dey will remove him as they did d great caliph Osama bin laden using marines... bagbadi d marines are coming o....
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by ByfireByfire: 5:59pm On Aug 02, 2015
Demmzy15:

I would have preferred you keep quiet if you have nothing upstairs. Were you blind when Muslims have created countless threads refuting ISIS, Boko Haram, etc?! You guys are damn annoying and spoilt, guy in your life don't ever quote me and spill sh't again.

https://www.nairaland.com/2461107/saudi-arabia-says-it-stopped

https://www.nairaland.com/2449108/it-criminal-unjust-ascribe-actions

https://www.nairaland.com/2343354/did-khilaafah-end-1924-response

https://www.nairaland.com/2345692/youth-today-enticed-khawarij-insurgents

Shame to you and your blood letting religion. I won't even bother checking a single thread referenced by a dishonest & arrogant man like yourself.

1 Like

Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 02, 2015
ByfireByfire:

Shame to you and your blood letting religion. I won't even bother checking a single thread referenced by a dishonest & arrogant man like yourself.

Don't mind him, those threads were created by muslims to conceal the truth based on the islamic doctrine of kitman.
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Demmzy15(m): 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2015
ByfireByfire:

Then don't ever quote me again in your life, ignorant spoilt brat.
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by ByfireByfire: 8:46pm On Aug 02, 2015
Demmzy15:

Then don't ever quote me again in your life, ignorant spoilt brat.

I'll always quote you to disgrace and expose your lies and the lies of your false religion. If it offends you deal with it or better still strap yourself with countless Islamic suicide bombs and do the only thing your religion of peace teaches you.

1 Like

Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by ByfireByfire: 8:48pm On Aug 02, 2015
Jagoon:

Don't mind him, those threads were created by muslims to conceal the truth based on the islamic doctrine of kitman.

Don't worry bros I'm fully aware of their wicked wiles.
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by mustymatic(m): 12:53am On Aug 03, 2015
Demmzy15:
I tell you, very dumb
Re: Abubkr Al Baghagi: Isis Leader, Islamic Caliph And Mohamed's Successor by Nobody: 6:01am On Aug 03, 2015
mustymatic:

I tell you, very dumb

I know it's paining you that the evil your religion represents is being exposed tongue

(1) (Reply)

Meet Catholic Priest Who Sleeps With Women On Their Period / B.I.U Faculty Of Engineering Building Donated By Pst Chris Have Been Completed / Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.