Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,479 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria (238190 Views)

HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment / MISSING RESULTS..A huge Embarassment To The National Open University. / The Advantages Of National Open University Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by idu1(m): 6:09pm On Aug 02, 2015
Generalkorex:
came back after 3 month do they have hostels. Do they attend lectures?
don't mind her.
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sarboy:

The school was orignial meant to encourage adult education but the zeal to make money by the authorities in charge have bastardized the institution and young people see it as an alternative to conventional universities.

If the standard of conventional university is bad, what else will you say about a virtual university without much supervision by either ASUU or the Nuc.
God bless you bro. u have wisdom like that of King solomon
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by AreaFada2: 6:11pm On Aug 02, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

What is the meaning of OPEN UNIVERSITY and who was it created for?....

I know people who finished from open university and are gainfully employed!
Open university is meant to be for workers, stay at home mums, those who missed out earlier in life and so on. It's not meant to be like UI, OAU, ABU, Nsukka
fav444:
why will u call Abagana into issue? I go vex o
or Uniben. All the ills you mentioned exist in almost all facets of Nigerian life.
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by nogames: 6:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
chowlade:

i don't want to mention studies centers you will be very sorry for Nigeria educational system

@chowlade:
Its obvious you don't understand anything about NOUN . Study centres are performing administrative functions only
you can't see any academic staff there except student counselors. So next time you visit NOUN study centre dont expect
to see gigantic building
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by aspirebig: 6:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
If you are running down an avenue for others to be educated, what are the alternatives you are bringing to the table.

With the whole Jamb issues, HND and BSc discrimnation issues, post jamb, cut off and cut in, fraudesters hijacking admissions process etc, there are many issues in naija educational systems.
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 02, 2015
SnazzyBaba:
I am a graduate of M.sc in Mass Comm from Noun and i enjoyed studying there because i was able to combine working in a bank while studying and raising a family.

Secondly, the staff of Noun are the most courteous i have had the chance of meetingin a tertiary institution. I did not experience the corrupt side. Besides, in conventional institutions, there is corruption.

Thirdly, there is readily available reading material written by Professors from conventional University. The materials are so rich that i wish i had access to them during my undergraduate days.

Finally, research wise, i had the best experience. Because, lecturers in conventional university are assigned to supervise us. So if lecturers from University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, FUTA, Uniben, supervise ur project and thesis and you are still faulting the end result, then there is no difference between students or Open University and conventional universities. Research wise, i learnt alot at Noun and i am able to teach others what i learn't.

People should stop distracting and discouraging others. Its not everyone that will have d chance to attend conventional institutions.

Also, note that the caliber of people studying there are working class people who have busy schedules.

Thanks
what about the young full time student btw d ages of 15 to 30 that are unemployed?
No services
no lecturer
very poor academic enviroment
e.t.c
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 02, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

Come to FUTA and see things for yourselves but that open university has giving room for laziness on part of some student
i knew of some student that were withdrawn frm FUTA they applied to NOUN immediately without there parent knowing and were giving admission. they are there now now inspite telling all sort of lies to there parent they are in FUTA.
MY brother i swear with My diick. they dont go to school, na weed, party, woman den they do
chai.... another pej.

2 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Tripleclick(m): 6:17pm On Aug 02, 2015
omoh my school mk sense... d computer made me shiver...before my exam i mk sure i finished d whole material and summarize it... i l like dat school...only those who knows why de r dia...benefits from it...
i paid fees...collect material thuo nt all..met old students n borrow dia own too...the kind of money my sister in nekede is requestn every time mk me wonder..wede de r payn tithes to school every day....lectures r also available...students cn fix one also...inshort de so many opportunities for u.....for op. he is just frustrated....i cn see it from d write up...i also wish noun to upgrad more...and u see dm taking over Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Asebaba1(m): 6:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
OP
I THINK MANY OF YOU ARE FRUSTRATED WITH LIFE ITSELF, DONT HAVE FOCUS AND CAN BUILD YOUR CAREER TALK MORE OF ENCOURAGING WHAT SOMEONE ELSE HAS DONE.
IDLENESS IS AFFECTING MY OF YOU SO YOU DONT EVEN HAVE DIRECTION,
TRY AND THINK, MAKE RESEARCH BETTER BEFORE WRITING,
chowlade:
[b]1. National Open University has been barred from the compulsory National youth Service Scheme due to not meeting up with N.U.C Specifications.

2. B.S.C Nursing in National Open university of Nigeria has been withdrawn

3. B.S.C Community health and extension worker has been changed to public health has instructed by the NUC

4. There Is Endemic Corruption In The National Open University Of Nigeria fees Charges due to the E-payment of School fees.

5. NOUN Centers across the country are the worst educational environment you can ever think of in the country that an average primary school is better off

6. NOUN student doesn't participate in the compulsory NYSC

7. NOUN student are less Employed on the field due to lack of experience

8. NOUN student are not paid the stipulated N10000 0r 15000 after industrial attachment.

9. Students do not attend lectures in Noun, they only read their course materials which are not always readily available for collection in their School library

10. Young NOUN Students are easily turn into destitute. My neighbors that are studying in NOUN, Smoke Weed/Cigarette, Alcohol, Womanize e.t.c till they eventually graduate.

11.NOUN Student are not researchers.

12 T.M.A (Tutor marked Assignment) portal has been hacked, students go directly there to collect readily available answers for test and examination, thereby enabling student to no longer need to study for TMA to get 30/30 in the Tutor marked assignment cause it is share, for sale e.t.c amongst themselves of which same Exposed TMA are to be repeated again in their examination.

13. NOUN is not on Nigeria university rankings according to the best institution in Nigeria. so therefore not competing with the conventional universities

14. There is total confusion in the System

15 Student union is totally forbidden in the tertiary institution

Add yours

In short, the National Open University Of Nigeria is the worst Tertiary Institution anywhere across the globe. I will therefore strongly urge the National University commission to Look into the System of this tertiary institution and removed the institution out of the existing educational system in Nigeria.
[/b]

lalasticlala, ishilove

1 Like

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

what about the young full time student btw d ages of 15 to 30 that are unemployed?
No services
no lecturer
e.t.c

Was it meant for them?

3 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 02, 2015
ferdiii:

chai.... another pej.

Hehehehe there is Goduoooo tongue
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by funcampus: 6:21pm On Aug 02, 2015
NOUN is an alternative means to provide or increase access to higher education in Nigeria and they are growing very fast. Open and Distant Learning education providers are not like the conventional universities where you have access to basic study facilities like dedicated tutors and physical class tutorials.

Meanwhile, Nigeria needs more of ODL providers. Check out the Free University of Nigeria (FUN), a tuition-free university tutorial centre operating completely as Open and Distant Learning organisation. It has beautiful concepts that are formed to encourage schooling. Check us out here www.freeuniversityofnigeria.org

1 Like

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by favourmic(m): 6:22pm On Aug 02, 2015
chowlade:

My bad, i think you are not the people i thought you might be. i'm so so Sorry.

You see at the end you're wrong you can't proof him/her wrong, I don't see anything wrong people going to NOUN only if they don't know what they are doing, NOUN get job far better than other university..
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Oilandgas1(m): 6:24pm On Aug 02, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Lies, bullshit and nothing but bullshit! Now let me dissect the OP's point one after the other. So? Who needs NYSC in the first place. Many can argue that the programme is a complete waste of time which could be put into better use either going for a Masters, acquiring required professional experience or learning some necessary vocational training that would better aid your hustling once you are done with school. In fact, our friends that didn't partake in the so called NYSC seem to be better off than us as they had a year start over we that went for service
Then why do students of other schools cause riots at any single opportunity available to them if not for the same reason you are pointing out here. Corruption is rife in almost every educational institution in this country, I see no reason why you are singling NOUN out as if others are Saint and they (NOUN) are the inventor of sin. So 500 students cramped in one class like sardine is any better? undecided stop pointing accusing fingers if you ain't holy yourself. Same old bullshit another big fat lie! Believe me when I tell you this, no other institution in this country have students with experience than NOUN. In fact the school was created for those with experience. That's what it stands for, that's what it is. I am a graduate of one of the conventional universities and till today I am yet to collect a dime for 3 months hard labor I put in industrial Training 5 years ago. Lies! Materials are readily available in the school, dunno where you are getting this junk from.complete baloney!
Still trying to comprehend what this crap means? Come back with a better write-up once you have done a better research and you fully understand what the school stands for.

Friedplantain
Correct
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
favourmic:

You see at the end you're wrong you can't proof him/her wrong, I don't see anything wrong people going to NOUN only if they don't know what they are doing, NOUN get job far better than other university..
He's a matured student of d institution probably above 35yrs okay?
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by nogames: 6:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

No services
no lecturer
poor academic enviroment
e.t.c

poor academic environment? You have to study on your own at your pace nothing like academic environment bro
No services? what about part time students of same age bracket in conventional universities? FG since 2001 excluded certain
set of student from participating in service. The list include Part-time students ODL students (NOUN falls into this category ) etc

No lecturer? NOUN course materials where designed in way they can be easily understood, beside there is
facilitation for 100 and 200 level students

1 Like

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Tripleclick(m): 6:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sarboy:
The school was orignially meant to encourage adult education but the zeal to make money by the authorities in charge has bastardized the institution and young people see it as an alternative to conventional universities.

If the standard of conventional university is bad, what else will you say about a virtual university without much supervision by either ASUU or the Nuc.
pocket ur frustratn.....my sister is in nekede....she told how de kep paying for score upgrade to dia lecturers... closed schools r scammers
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Tripleclick(m): 6:28pm On Aug 02, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

No services
no lecturer
e.t.c
. de r called tutors nt lecturers in noun...de do d work of a lecturer...u gux shud stop feeling bitter fo no reason
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by smarttm: 6:29pm On Aug 02, 2015
I don't think these disadvantages are good enough....sometimes its lack of understanding or ignorance...some of your bros and sis are in Ghana studying non accredited courses...NOUN is better and good for the poor,needy and workers....if u think u are'nt okay with them try AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA ..
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 02, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Was it meant for them?
yeah but they are many in that school and Students are still applying. the counselor and staff will lie to them they will serve.
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by Revolva(m): 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
funmijoyb:
that school is not a School. Primary school leaving certificate is better than Open university PHD Cert.
Mitcheeew

Another mumu....anywhere. In the world there are open universities..ok its just that nigeria is a very currupt nation if not open uni is d best every worker should attend ok I am a student there and will continue soon...ok who what d op says r big lie....how can u discriminate a student wit a noun certificate nonsense the samme noun dats is owned by d federal govt...abi na dem de get job pass
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
chowlade:

I will be 25 on the 8th of this month grin
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:33pm On Aug 02, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

yeah but they are many in that school and Students are still applying. the counselor and staff will lie to them they will serve.

I wasn't lied to
Plus I did research about Open universities on my own before I decided to enrol.
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by favourmic(m): 6:35pm On Aug 02, 2015
chowlade:

So? Haven't you see secondary school student been employed? Under forces when they go for it and at the end they have good salaries? Have it in mind schools of now a days is for future jobs unless if you have strong connection haven't you see those in private and state university still looking for job and noting at end...
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by hob(m): 6:38pm On Aug 02, 2015
This is totally uncalled for. Rubbishing a nigerian institution. Even if they r not allowed to serve, sure they r working on it. How can u just discredit an institution that was set up by the laws of d federation.

Every institution has its own flaws....
What a shite post.

Such a shame @op
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
favourmic:

So? Haven't you see secondary school student been employed? Under forces when they go for it and at the end they have good salaries? Have it in mind schools of now a days is for future jobs unless if you have strong connection haven't you see those in private and state university still looking for job and noting at end...

Is there anything useful being thought in the schools sef lol
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by nogames: 6:40pm On Aug 02, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Is there anything useful being thought in the schools sef lol

Yes self- reliance
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
nogames:

Yes self- reliance

I meant in the conventional schools lol
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by chanx: 6:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
olusola2bello:
Folks need to understand that NOUN isn't a conventional school and not for young folks....its meant for those who want to work and go to school at d same time...d motto says 'Work and Learn'. So coming here and dissing the school isn't called for. Look for what suits you and stick to it.

Well said, you are right on point.

1 Like

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by cbrass(m): 6:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Lazy bone?...

Let's see

I work for a Construction Company, I'm a web/graphic designer on the side, I'm also into forex trading

Define Lazy again please? undecided

Bro you dey fall my hand big time. Why waste your time and MB on that nitwit
Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by davinchi86(m): 6:46pm On Aug 02, 2015
as 4 me I think noun is d best school I can go cos I don't hv dat time to sit in a lecture hall becos I train myself feed myself no helper na only God I get I believe after my graduation with my influence I can get job cos I am already an entrepreneur making more money more than does dat went to ui up unilag etc I am doing well so my guy is not abt going to d biggest school BT hw u position Urself NOUN am proud of

3 Likes

Re: The Disadvantages Of The National Open University Of Nigeria by kendological(m): 6:47pm On Aug 02, 2015
Must ignorant people claim knowledge?? I am a proud final year law student of the National Open University of Nigeria, that school really a pillar of excellence. What does the poster mean by corruption. Is it the bribery and exam Mal practice in the conventional schools you want for us? Or is it the cultism and thuggery? Talking about experience, 95 percent of us are employed, about 40 percent of us are entrepreneurs and and self employed. I have never given anyone any money since I was admitted, I pay online like everyone else, no extortion. Please stop displaying your ignorance and arrogance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

NDDC 2016 Postgraduate Foreign Scholarship Application Commences / Ahmadu Bello University (A B U) Zaria, 2011/2012 Admission / NDDC POST-GRADUATE FOREIGN SCHOLARSHIP 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.