Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,252 members, 7,957,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:47 PM

Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! (781 Views)

CNN Confirm Trump Buhari Phone Calls / Buhari Speaks To Trump On Phone From London - Femi Adesina / Donald Trump to Call President Buhari, Zuma on Phone Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by ChappyChase: 6:35am On Aug 03, 2015
Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly
Nkechi Issac

Out of the over 180 million Nigerians in the country, 146 million of them are active subscribers and they spend about N212 billion on calls every month, LEADERSHIP investigations have revealed.

The findings were arrived at using the current active mobile subscriptions in the country and the subsisting Average Revenue Per User (ARPU), the financial performance benchmark in the telecoms industry that measures the average monthly revenue generated by operators from telecoms subscribers, for Nigeria.

Going by the latest statistics released by the telecoms regulatory body, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), active telephone lines in the nation’s telecommunication industry stood at 146, 561. 744 by May 2015.

According to data released by industry leading operators, ARPU in Nigeria’s telecoms market is estimated at around $6 (N1, 452), given the foreign exchange rate at N242.

LEADERSHIP investigation revealed that with an ARPU of N1,452 and a subscriber base of 146 million, Nigeria’s telephone users now pay an estimated N212 billion monthly in accessing telecom service, especially calls making.
The picture below is the Speaker House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara listen to "calls" during a courtesy visit by the past speakers and deputies to the newly elected speakers, at the National Assembly in Abuja
http://leadership.ng/news/451362/nigerians-spend-n212bn-on-phone-calls-monthly
So Fellow Niaralanders, how much do you spend on phone calls?

Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by missbehave247(m): 6:36am On Aug 03, 2015
And they said we r poor undecided
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by 48noble(m): 6:36am On Aug 03, 2015
And data bundle
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by agarawu23(m): 6:36am On Aug 03, 2015
walahi, no doubt
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Cutehector(m): 6:37am On Aug 03, 2015
cheesy Most of d time talkn trash I guess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by whizbee(m): 6:37am On Aug 03, 2015
Good morning, imma seasoned beat maker + producer looking for a music studio I can work in immediately after my nysc service this October, a preferred location is Akure, Ondo State, pls reply if u can help
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by ChappyChase: 6:38am On Aug 03, 2015
48noble:
And data bundle
O boy make we no even near data bundle oo, if not person fit faint oo!
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Ahzyz(m): 6:38am On Aug 03, 2015
I don't bilivit.
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by ChappyChase: 6:40am On Aug 03, 2015
Cutehector:
Before nkor, e get anything reasonable way we(youth) wan talk? Thank God for social media if not that money for dey climb trillion!!
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by ChappyChase: 6:42am On Aug 03, 2015
Ahzyz:
I don't bilivit.
Me dey even think say e pass that amount!
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Cutehector(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2015
ChappyChase:

Before nkor, e get anything reasonable way we(youth) wan talk? Thank God for social media if not that money for dey climb trillion!!
as in eh... Worst thing is we r enrichn someone's pocket.. Thr r other means of communication, that r economical, if a gurl wants to hear my voice, she should come visit me and we can talk till thy kingdom come.. Talkn ova d fone every second of d day is so so annoying...
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by sentaljohn(m): 6:50am On Aug 03, 2015
do u know how much my friend spend on condoms monthly?
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 03, 2015
John, how are you? How's school? I learned you're now on holiday? Hope your semester went well? If not, I won't support you again oooo.....Hehehe, what of Judy? Is she by your side? Let me speak with her pls. Judy, how are you? You've not called me in weeks. Hope all is well? When are you coming to visit me in PH? You're not sure? Ok ooo.....Let me speak with mummy. Mummy, how are you today? Hope dad's not giving you headache again? My wife and I are coming down to Lagos next month. Joy said you hardly take your drugs. That's bad, mum. Is daddy there? Let me speak with him. ...and then from daddy to last born and then daddy hands over phone to a distant uncle by his side. Uncle good afternoon sir. How's the family? Uncle replied and introduced you to his first son.

And then a text message from the network provider alerts that the airtime will soon finish. And the cycle never ends.

This, amongst others, is a great leakage to our ship of financial stability. The indisciplined will never be wealthy.

1 Like

Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Young03(m): 6:57am On Aug 03, 2015
shoooo
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Segadem(m): 7:01am On Aug 03, 2015
Cutehector:
like u always do?
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Cutehector(m): 7:02am On Aug 03, 2015
Segadem:
like u always do?
yeah like we always do.. sad
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Segadem(m): 7:02am On Aug 03, 2015
sentaljohn:
do u know how much my friend spend on condoms monthly?
birds of the same flock together!
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by abitex577(m): 7:04am On Aug 03, 2015
This will not be far from the truth. Nigerians could be wasteful with airtime and do not implement personal budgets stringently. It is a call for everyone to actually track what they spend on there telephone bills each month and see how wasteful most of such calls are.
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by owobokiri(m): 8:15am On Aug 03, 2015
This is very serious. Nigerians are being scammed by these telecom operators. The charges are very high and unbearable and since NITEL trunk lines don't worlkk anymore, these companies are more or else monopolies. Something urgent has to be done to save Nigerias mobile phone users. Compared to what is ubtainable elsewhere in the world, say Asia, these companies are ripping Nigerians apart. Whatg are the guys at the regulatory agencies doing??
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by bonechamberlain(m): 8:29am On Aug 03, 2015
u can imagine the amount of money theses communication thieves are making ripping off Nigerians. these is another sector buhari needs to take his change to
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by bonechamberlain(m): 8:29am On Aug 03, 2015
u can imagine the amount of money theses communication thieves are making ripping off Nigerians. these is another sector buhari needs to take his mantra change to
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by PRYCE(m): 8:35am On Aug 03, 2015
And some Fuckkin UN will tell us that 75% of Nigerians live under a dollar!
Re: Alarming, Nigerians Spend N212bn On Phone Calls Monthly! by Omotayor123(f): 8:55am On Aug 03, 2015
Quite possible..

(1) (Reply)

UN Verifies Islamic State Slave Price List: 'the Girls Get Peddled Like Barrels / Address Resorts’ To Redefine Abuja / PHOTOS: Oshiomole and wife Iara visit IDP camp in Edo state

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.