Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? (1300 Views)

"Deny Your Husband Sex" - Leaked Chats Of A Cheating Wife / Father Forces 13-Year-Old Daughter To Marry 56-Year-Old Man With 3 Wives In Kano / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by eddyland: 6:08pm On Aug 03, 2015
A friend of mine just told me that now, that her dad asked her to stop Facebook chat. Is it OK to do that? Will you advise parents to toe that path?
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by mecuzee(m): 6:08pm On Aug 03, 2015
Question for the gods. Oya IFAs them answer.

1 Like

Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2015
20 years shocked

Strange news
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by shaiba(f): 6:20pm On Aug 03, 2015
Young lady as long as you are under my roof I own everything you do.

We quickly forget the case of Cynthia, she is older than your friend and is dead, but the pain, emptiness and the fight to bring her murderers to book is carried on by the parents.

Social media has its advantage and disadvantage and parents have that duty to look out for u, it might seem hash but many years from now you will look back and thank them for guiding u.

Your friend should first obey and then talk with dad to know his reasons for asking her to stop FB chats and try to prevail on him.

Remember that honoring your father and mother is the first commandment that attracts a gift... LONG lIFE

5 Likes

Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by DuchessLily(f): 6:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
shaiba:

We quickly forget the case of Cynthia, she is older than your friend and is dead, but the pain, emptiness and the fight to bring her murderers to book is carried on by the parents.

Social media has its advantage and disadvantage and parents have that duty to look out for u, it might seem hash but many years from now you will look back and thank them for guiding u.

Your friend should first obey and then talk with dad to know his reasons for asking her to stop FB chats and try to prevail on him.

Remember that honoring your father and mother is the first commandment that attracts a gift... LONG lIFE

U nailed it. Weldone dear
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by tpiander: 7:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
eddyland:
A friend of mine just told me that now, that her dad asked her to stop Facebook chat. Is it OK to do that? Will you advise parents to toe that path?

why is she blabbing about her dad's instructions?

Are you the person she's chatting with?
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by KanwuliaJara: 10:46pm On Aug 03, 2015
A parent can always give advice, no matter how old the child may be! kiss

1 Like

Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by shaiba(f): 6:39am On Aug 04, 2015
tpiander:

why is she blabbing about her dad's instructions?

Are you the person she's chatting with?

good question, probably the chatting takes so much of time that she is not focused and will do the wrong things when sent on errands or worst still not helping with chores in the house, chatting can be addictive and distracting.
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 04, 2015
Yes!
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by 5minsmadness: 6:58am On Aug 04, 2015
shaiba:

1000000 Likes
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by SAMBARRY: 7:44am On Aug 04, 2015
Only in nigeria you see nonsense like this

no wonder a 37 year old grown man will still be staying under his parents roof and be asking for food and money shamelessly
No wonder you will see some hungry hawks ready to take advantage of her naievity when the parents will not allow her to grow up undecided
shaiba:

Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by shaiba(f): 2:25pm On Aug 04, 2015
SAMBARRY:
Only in nigeria you see nonsense like this

no wonder a 37 year old grown man will still be staying under his parents roof and be asking for food and money shamelessly
No wonder you will see some hungry hawks ready to take advantage of her naievity when the parents will not allow her to grow up undecided

And you think 20years is the right enough to be on your own? Facebook chatting is a way to allow her grow up?

The countries where you think at 37 years a man should be independent, take a good look at their environment (infrastructure and such) and what is going on the life of 50 percent of the youths, then you can draw a line between our rich cultural heritage and family values and theirs.

A visit will convince you. Don't believe the wild lies of 18yrs is self independent
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by killercute16(m): 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
shaiba:

And you think 20years is the right enough to be on your own? Facebook chatting is a way to allow her grow up?

The countries where you think at 37 years a man should be independent, take a good look at their environment (infrastructure and such) and what is going on the life of 50 percent of the youths, then you can draw a line between our rich cultural heritage and family values and theirs.

A visit will convince you. Don't believe the wild lies of 18yrs is self independent
Smart
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by Arsenate(m): 5:16pm On Aug 04, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
A parent can always give advice, no matter how old the child may be! kiss
this is the only sensible comment I've ever seen you post on Nairaland.
hope dey
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by SAMBARRY: 8:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
A 20 years old is an adult physically mentally and biologically. If you still monitor and cage a 20 year old like a child then don't question why you see so many grown women behaving childish when the parents will not allow the child see exposure make mistakes learn from it and grow wiser undecided

that one too will enter labour market with entitlement mentality because she's been used to her parents restricting her and giving her every thing she wants lipsrsealed

and please don't come up with Cynthia case because na greed aka longer throat kill that one lipsrsealed
shaiba:

1 Like

Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by SAMBARRY: 8:11pm On Aug 04, 2015
killercute16:
Smart
what's smart about a 37 year old man still depending on mummy and daddy to do everything for him undecided

una no dey shame to talk somethings for outside lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by KanwuliaJara: 8:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
Arsenate:
this is the only sensible comment I've ever seen you post on Nairaland.
hope dey

Gooooooood!
Still waiting for one from you!
No HOPE! cry
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by Dygeasy(m): 9:13pm On Aug 04, 2015
SAMBARRY:
A 20 years old is an adult physically mentally and biologically. If you still monitor and cage a 20 year old like a child then don't question why you see so many grown women behaving childish when the parents will not allow the child see exposure make mistakes learn from it and grow wiser undecided

that one too will enter labour market with entitlement mentality because she's been used to her parents restricting her and giving her every thing she wants lipsrsealed

and please don't come up with Cynthia case because na greed aka longer throat kill that one lipsrsealed
Take into cognizance the manner of upbringing. We were brought up in different ways.

I, got independent and started doing things myself and making life choices at age 16 so there's a limit to the level of hold and influence my parents have on me. While I still have friends whose parents still do for them the least of things such as photocopying of documents; not that there's anything attached, they simply go and give it to their dad so in matters such as this, be subjective and don't generalize.

One's parents can so far there's a reasonable reason.
Re: Is It OK For Parents To Tell Their 20 Year Old Daughter To Stop FB Chats? by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 05, 2015
I think I agree with Sambarry here. She is 20, you can't possibly monitor her social media activities. The best the parent can do is advice the babe, not to give her a mandate and tell her what to do the with her phone. Unless maybe the phone distracts her from doing her chores and what not

But then again, it depends tho. What if this 'mature 20 year old adult' depends on her parents completely? If that's the case, it would easily give the parents a right/ authority over her way of life.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Kills Her Children And Commits Suicide To Punish Husband / Can I Register At The Marriage Registry Ikoyi In The Absence Of My Wife? / Cheating Girlfriend, Should I Report Her To The Guy...?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.