Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,676 members, 7,837,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate (47007 Views)

The Man Behind Naira Appreciation- Mr Babatunde Gbadamosi, A Lagos Businessman / Naira Appreciation: Osinbajo Needs To Teach Buhari His Magic / Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Emioga: 8:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
I beg @barcanister wetin go happen to we wey them dey pay dollars directly into our dorm account? Dem go still pay us for dollars?
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by kenchylala: 8:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
Mynd44:

The actual question is why the Naira started falling in November 2014 and this has continued until July.

The reason the Naira fell in November is the start of why prices are going up. As long as we don't answer that, there is no point trying as we wont get a clear view of this "mess"

Naira fell naira fell, is it a top secret If u know tell us let's see were all this is heading. I just know I don't need a form A or form M or any other form to buy Brest pump's for personal use, so I don't see how this bank law is helping at all.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by wristbangle: 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2015
barcanista:
Is the value of the Naira really appreciating in the real sense or the CBN and the FG are playing pranks on Nigerians? Why are commodities still high in the market?

Ideal Situation
Ideally, customers operating domiciliary accounts will go to the banks, deposit their dollar and through that account they do whatever transaction that they deem necessary. The Banks inturn will take the dollars(and other foreign currencies) to the CBN.

The Buhari/Emefiele Situation
1. The CBN has stopped receiving dollars from banks, as a result the banks has stopped accepting dollars at the counter because their vaults are full.

2. Because of the restriction at 1(above) the demand for dollar reduces in the BDC. The BDCs seek every means to trade the currency including reducing the cost at the black market. The CBN will go to the press to scream "NAIRA IS APPRECIATING."

3. As a result of 1(above) the banks also refuse to request dollars from the CBN's foreign exchange reserve. The CBN will then come out to scream "RESERVE IS GROWING".

Is that the best way to manage the naira?

Salient Question and Effects:
1. What happens to a businessmen with domiciliary account seeking to deposit dollars and transfer to their partners abroad after buying the dollar from BDC or Bank?

2. The bank's refusal to accept dollar deposit means business transaction on that will be halted. Because no domiciliary account holder will be willing to withdraw from his account when he knows that he won't be able to make further deposit due to the CBN's policy except if his intention is solely for converting the dollar to naira for local transaction.

3. Instead of doing transactions from domiciliary account, businessmen will be left with no choice but to operate domiciliary account in neighbouring countries where they will be making transactions or resort to wiring money via Western Union in neighboring country.

4. As a result of 3(above) the cost of commodities will go UP because businesses will make up for the extra expenses. Also, that will mean reduction in business activities in the banks.

5. Should the above persist it will get to a certain point where there will be scarcity of the dollar in the market. When it get to that point, the dollar rate is astronomically shooooooot up in the market because demand will outweigh supply. At this point, the naira problem will be worse than it was.

Is The Naira Really Appreciating?
Make no mistake, the naira-dollar rate is yet to appreciate in the international market. As at May 29 the naira/$ rate was N199 in the market. The rate as at today Aug 5, 2015 is still N199. You can't appreciate a currency via the backdoor. Even the black market rate cannot be regulated through the back door.

What "Sane" Countries Does:
The CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele made it look like one can't deposit foreign currencies in cash in another country. This is contrary to the facts on ground. No country will shut down foreign currencies transactions in banks. Let me give two instances...

On February 27, 2015, the Central Bank of Egypt instituted a new policy to help the Egyptian pound. As part of the policy, Individuals and businesses are allowed a maximum of $10,000(or equivalent) deposit daily and $50,000(or equivalent) monthly. The measure would stop companies from buying large amounts of dollars from the black market and then depositing them briefly in banks in order to open letters of credit for imports.

In China the maximum daily deposit/withdrawal of foreign currencies is $10,000(or equivalent).

Is it not better to place a transactional limit for foreign currencies than discourage deposit completely(that will solve nothing)?
We don't produce, we import, we have no policy to promote local production nor infrastructures in place toencourage manufacturers, yet we expect the naira to appreciate. That is no done anywhere.

I will be glad to get the views of others.

God Bless Us All

Barcanista, U have a point as the naira is only appreciated @ parallel market but it's one step @ a time brother. Let's see what the outcome will be in few months time. Meanwhile statistics show that naira may appreciate to 160naira in aa month time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by kenchylala: 8:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
Mynd44:

But was there ever any time they sold petrol for 87? We all know that was all for election campaign na

I got fuel at 87naira, so check again

1 Like

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
kaboninc:
Banks stopping deposits was as a result of something. Firstly, let me clear something. Before last week, you could deposit USD into your dom account. But you cannot transfer it out of Nigeria. (Cash deposits cannot be transferred out). The only exception to this rule was inflows. (the bankers know what it is). Before last week, as we all know, CBN restricted access to some items and that resulted in scarcity of the FX. Scarcity drives prices up. Then again, the speculators (before this time) were smiling because it is in their interest to see the naira depreciate further and before the CBN will reverse its position (they will do this in public) they would have sold making a huge gain. But the announcement (last week) was spontaneous. In fact, the banks were refusing dollar deposits even before notifying their customers through mails. That was where the speculators lost.

Like I said, stopping deposit is a temporal measure because there will always be foreign currency in circulation. But it must never compete with the local currency - that unfortunately is the position today. These countries, especially Egypt have credible customer base system. We do not have as we can beat the system. The BVN will help with that. I said in my first post (not this one) that the BVN will go a long way in helping the CBN know who actually demand USD. And if one is caught, I tell you, he won't find it funny.

We are not a 100% import country. We do import large quantities of commodities but we are not a 100% import oriented country. Then again, as per scarcity, there is no scarcity of the USD. I tell you this. If you want $100k I can get it for you. There is so much USD in circulation today. What will happen is for these banks to discuss with the CBN to find a way of reducing the USD in their vault and CBN will issue another directive limiting the amount of cash (USD) a bank can hold in its vault.
Bros, in the first bold you talked about making the naira gain advantage. I am telling you that you don't make the naira get advantage over the dollar with "kangaroo" policy. You will rather allow the market forces to do the job while regulating the dollar transaction like other sane countries. What the CBN is doing will only backfire with time.

@second bold: That itself is a new subject entirely.

We do have a mechanism. Ordinarily, the fiscal managers should have issued a ban citing negative effect it will have on the national economy. But the monetary managers had to act because we do not have a fiscal manager. And the effect is already affecting our reserves.
By mechanism I mean power, road, economic environment, easy access to obtain loan for SME, security, government policy (fiscal), monetary policy etc that will promote local production. I am not talking of empty directives.

PS: when I said it will result in scarcity of the dollar, I mean on the long run.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Anyi3(m): 8:53pm On Aug 04, 2015
OP raised salient points.

However, OP you probably already know this measure is not the CBN's long term answer to strengthen the naira. It is only a measure to ensure only people who need the dollar for legitimate transactions use the dollar.

The main reason why the naira fell is because we don't export as much as we import. But in addition, speculators and politicians who hoard the dollar for useless reasons also made the dollars rise. The CBN's move is a nice move as legitimate business people can still do foreign business and it cuts the access of unnecessary handling of dollars in Nigeria.

It's now over to the Federal Govt to spur our manufacturing sector for a permanent move to strengthen the naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by andyanders: 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
wristbangle:

Barcanista, U have a point as the naira is only appreciated @ parallel market but it's one step @ a time brother. Let's see what the outcome will be in few months time. Meanwhile statistics show that naira may appreciate to 160naira in aa month time.

It is not possible for the naira to appreciate to 160 to per dollar is the next 6 months.This is because we our export cannot exceed our imports to earn us foreign exchange.The oil price has crashed and we are not producing in order to start earning forex.

So tell me how you can force the naira to appreciate within 6 months.
You can ONLY start making meaningful progress when we start exporting our locally manufactured products.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by kaboninc(m): 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
manny4life:

Doesn't make any sense, why should receipt from BDC's be actually intended for these reasons? Why can't money be wired electronically to it's destination? Transport how exactly?

The BDC was originally developed to meet these needs. Small exchange of foreign currencies. The CBN sells to them and they in turn sell to people. They process their transactions through Form A. But today, the banks also offer this service and there's intense competition. What CBN is trying to achieve is electronic handling and transfer. They want to be able to initiate a trail.

How about people who have no access to travel out but have a legitimate reason for foreign exchange, then what? Example, I sent goods to Nigeria, the goods are sold and since I am not present physically, wouldn't it make sense for money to be wired back to me at official exchange rate. In this case, what happens? How do we circumvent the process? If I borrowed funds to transact the business, how do I mitigate a potential loss? Please leave the transfer agents, you know exactly how I mean. Besides, these WT agents don't wire from Nigeria, I could be wrong because I haven't tried it but I know Money Gram DOES NOT accept wires from Nigeria.

Previously, before now, you buy your USD from the black market, deposit into your dom account and ask your bankers to wire. If you do not have the USD but have naira, you approach your bank. If your need is not in the prohibited items list, you will be able to access CBN's USD and you'd follow strict documentation (most businessmen do not want this). But if not, the banks sell to you from their store (usually from remnant from those who's demand are within CBN's supported list). Then they wire for you.

All these stopped when abuse came in. All these stopped when it became obvious that if we continue, as an import oriented country, things will go south and will be very devastating for us. You noticed the fall in crude oil prices. And fear and suspicion of terrorism financing coupled with speculative bidding and round tripping.

Also, the money agents used to transfer more than what they currently to. But now they can't. Also note that you can also transfer to your contacts through Western Union or Money Gram.

Now as for your question, even if you're an expatriate, you'll have to use another process but you cannot access CBN's USD. Contact your bankers, the Funds Transfer Unit, they'll put you through. Note that CBN takes your naira and gives you dollar for strictly purchases or any other special intervention like the pilgrims subsidy. For the other way, CBN takes your dollars and gives you naira equivalent for exports only.

But like you've observed, I believe the CBN will develop an efficient and credible system that will allow genuine importers to access an amount of USD.

1 Like

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Lero15(m): 8:56pm On Aug 04, 2015
This op no dey tire sha... SMH.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by nairamaniac: 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2015
MizMyColi:
smh.
*Deep Sigh*

Biko where are our inhouse staunch economists cum historians?

Jarus, Israeliairforce, Agabai23

Barcanista has raised valid points...

Let's attack the points raised and reach a valid conclusion concerning our currency appreciation/depreciation and the way forward.

I will be lurking on the sidelines...gleaning from reasonable insights.

Haaaaaa! You dey here? not fair naaaa. u evaded my thread? Do u remember me? I'm nairamaniac. I replied you on my thread very nicely, but didn't see you again.

You Berra come back there and finish what we started. or at least reply my post over there.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Laredojohn(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2015
The OP has raised salient points in his post, banning deposits of dollars, isn't the right measure, the CBN is meant to relax measures, giving a limit....not total ban, all in the name to strengthen the naira...
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by kaboninc(m): 9:11pm On Aug 04, 2015
barcanista:

Bros, in the first bold you talked about making the naira gain advantage. I am telling you that you don't make the naira get advantage over the dollar with "kangaroo" policy. You will rather allow the market forces to do the job while regulating the dollar transaction like other sane countries. What the CBN is doing will only backfire with time.

That is not a "kangaroo" policy. It is a temporary measure. I hope you know the market forces can be controlled and manipulated. The BDC market is suppose to be an insignificant market with a less that 10% of total issue USD by CBN.

Regulating dollar transactions is being done by the CBN - enforcing payments in naira and not USD.

@second bold: That itself is a new subject entirely.

Yes and that is where I want the CBN to focus and am sure they will. I hope CBN will continue to maintain its independence from political interference.

By mechanism I mean power, road, economic environment, easy access to obtain loan for SME, security, government policy (fiscal), monetary policy etc that will promote local production. I am not talking of empty directives.

PS: when I said it will result in scarcity of the dollar, I mean on the long run.

All these you mentioned were vigorously pursued by the previous administration and we're seeing the gains materialised. We should hope (and prevail) on the current administration to consolidate and continue in that direction.

In the long run, dollar transactions will be more in electronic form than physical. In fact, based on industry feelers, that is the new focus for BDCs.

4 Likes

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
espn:
let me ask u OP..please explain to me if Nigerians are allowed to operate a Dom acct in the united states. If YES..is such transactions done with the NAIRA. If NO? What's ur argument..
In pound and Euro Yes, in Naira or other irrelevant currencies NO! Bros, how many people de trade in naira wey you go expect US to give naira account? U funny o cheesy
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by onatisi(m): 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
I don't know why ppl like getting themselves worked up. The cbn and banks have categorically stAted it that this is a short term measure to stabilize the naira,by the time the president economic team is constituted and ministers appointed,things will change. Whether we like it or not we are stuck with Baba mega slow for 4years . Personally I will welcome any move that will make the naira appreciate without hurting the nation's industries and business climate
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by gidjah(m): 9:15pm On Aug 04, 2015
Thank u sir,great indebt u gat right there,CBN already told us that;thoise with gnuin reason why foeign currencies should be collected from thm should come forth,so it is not as if there is total rejection o, to be more factual sef, my brother sent his sch fees to manchester tru his account last week,the wiring was truely traced to the sch he sent the money to just to be sure, and i pretty appreciate that by CBN.now our speculators and horders and polithiefcians can keep wailling, god go disgrace una all!
helpee:
@ barcanista, thanks for the analysis. kindly disregard those that have nothing to contribute except shouting wailing wailers. But i disagree with you. naira actually depreciated against the dollar because of excessive speculation. As you know, due to the ban on 41 products importers from accessing forex at the official rate, they had to source it from the parallel market. The excessive demand for forex by these importers from the black market at first created a scarcity that pushed the dollar up temporarily. speculators then cashed on that and started hoarding dollars thinking the dollar will keep rising against the naira especially since the new govt has no concrete plan in place. i was almost caught up too. i was advised to change most of my daily sales to dollars and then deposit in my DOM account in speculation of a further weakening of the naira. therefore, the banks were flooded by speculators with dollar deposits and many of them under the disguise of importation are laundering the money abroad via transfer. so, by refusing to accept the dollars, the CBN is playing a very smart move aagainst speculators. many people are therefore caught with dollars which they cant transfer or even deposit except to convert it to naira. therefore, the economy is flooded with dollars and demand is less than supply so the dollar must come down.
IS IT SUSTAINABLE/
Yes but we will temporarily suffer in sacrifice for a prosperous naira. importers will be temporarily caught unaware. the CBN will only create a bereaucratic bottleneck that will make it difficult for anybody except importers to access forex. BVN is one of the them. money launderers that used to access forex and transfer via DOM account will be cut off by the bottleneck. speculators will not find it attractive to hoard dollars because unless they ggenuinely need the dollars, they wont be able to get value for it since they cant spend it locally, cant transfer and cant even deposit. what do you need a useless dollar for?
it is not easy to open domicilliary account in neigbouring countries like you suggested unless you are a citizen or permanent/legal resident so few will be able to divert import activities to the neigbouring countries. therefore, even without increasing local production of imported stuffs, the naira will still stabilise against the dollar at a favourable position cos the most damage done to the naira usually comes from speculators. once we only access just the dollar we need for importation, school fees and other legal business abroad, we will stop speculating with the naira .
Even if things are temporarily expensive, we youths should take up the challenge and start producing. you can start with toothpick for example cos it is part of the products banned from accessing forex officially. the bottomline is that if it will be sustainable we must support the CBN in this quest. this is the first policy of this govt/CBN that i support.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 04, 2015
I don't read this Useless Post cause this OP have seen nothing good in Nigeria issue
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by favouritesahaba: 9:16pm On Aug 04, 2015
barcanista:
Is the value of the Naira really appreciating in the real sense or the CBN and the FG are playing pranks on Nigerians? Why are commodities still high in the market?

Ideal Situation
Ideally, customers operating domiciliary accounts will go to the banks, deposit their dollar and through that account they do whatever transaction that they deem necessary. The Banks inturn will take the dollars(and other foreign currencies) to the CBN.

1. The CBN has stopped receiving dollars from banks, as a result the banks has stopped accepting dollars at the counter because their vaults are full.

2. Because of the restriction at 1(above) the demand for dollar reduces in the BDC. The BDCs seek every means to trade the currency including reducing the cost at the black market. The CBN will go to the press to scream "NAIRA IS APPRECIATING."

3. As a result of 1(above) the banks also refuse to request dollars from the CBN's foreign exchange reserve. The CBN will then come out to scream "RESERVE IS GROWING".

1. What happens to a businessmen with domiciliary account seeking to deposit dollars and transfer to their partners abroad after buying the dollar from BDC or Bank?

2. The bank's refusal to accept dollar deposit means business transaction on that will be halted. Because no domiciliary account holder will be willing to withdraw from his account when he knows that he won't be able to make further deposit due to the CBN's policy except if his intention is solely for converting the dollar to naira for local transaction.

3. Instead of doing transactions from domiciliary account, businessmen will be left with no choice but to operate domiciliary account in neighbouring countries where they will be making transactions or resort to wiring money via Western Union in neighboring country.

4. As a result of 3(above) the cost of commodities will go UP because businesses will make up for the extra expenses. Also, that will mean reduction in business activities in the banks.

5. Should the above persist it will get to a certain point where there will be scarcity of the dollar in the market. When it get to that point, the dollar rate is astronomically shooooooot up in the market because demand will outweigh supply. At this point, the naira problem will be worse than it was.

Make no mistake, the naira-dollar rate is yet to appreciate in the international market. As at May 29 the naira/$ rate was N199 in the market. The rate as at today Aug 5, 2015 is still N199. You can't appreciate a currency via the backdoor. Even the black market rate cannot be regulated through the back door.

The CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele made it look like one can't deposit foreign currencies in cash in another country. This is contrary to the facts on ground. No country will shut down foreign currencies transactions in banks. Let me give two instances...

On February 27, 2015, the Central Bank of Egypt instituted a new policy to help the Egyptian pound. As part of the policy, Individuals and businesses are allowed a maximum of $10,000(or equivalent) deposit daily and $50,000(or equivalent) monthly. The measure would stop companies from buying large amounts of dollars from the black market and then depositing them briefly in banks in order to open letters of credit for imports.

In China the maximum daily deposit/withdrawal of foreign currencies is $10,000(or equivalent).

Is it not better to place a transactional limit for foreign currencies than discourage deposit completely(that will solve nothing)?
We don't produce, we import, we have no policy to promote local production nor infrastructures in place toencourage manufacturers, yet we expect the naira to appreciate. That is no done anywhere.

God Bless Us All

What you saw is the immediate effect.

We shall all live long to see the long term effect.

God bless Naija

God bless me.

2 Likes

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:24pm On Aug 04, 2015
Some people are not happy that Buhari is not failing unlike their clueless master . Continue critisizing Buhari , it will only make him better . Well done Barcanista !
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Lionhearted: 9:25pm On Aug 04, 2015
ritmove:

One thing is sure.. The CBN is trying to beat the Saboteurs/Forex round-trippers in their game. CBN already knew of people from neighbouring countries coming to buy dollars. This was in a report over a week ago.. And if you follow the steps taken.. one of the first clue was the report on CBN and custom partnering to block undeclared Money at the Airport...

Due to the Bank not accepting Dollar, a lot of people took it to the black market, causing the appreciation of the naira. Now, people are not withdrawing the money already in the bank for fear they wouldn't be able to put it back.. so the cash is drying in the blackmarket.

I think the next move by CBN will take will likely be to start a high fee on the dorm, that might force people change the Dollars in their dorm to naira..

I believe by the time the whole jigsaw come in place, a lot of people will burn their finger on this Dollar issue..

Culled from the Nigerian Stock Exchange Picks Alert's thread.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by kaboninc(m): 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2015
teeowl:
Do you have a domicilliary account? If yes, please do you regularly wire money out? if yes, go and ask your banker what I just told you and you would know I am right... this was not really a CBN decision, it was the banks that made this decision and CBN governor just capitalised on it to make himself look good...

The stance of banks was to stop collecting dollars from currency speculators and NOT to punish exporters.

PS: please ask your account officer this question or look for someone with a domicilliary account to ask this question. I am not arguing, i just want you to ask, then you would know I am right. This stuff is about trust, as long as you are NOT identified as a currency speculator or currency changer, your funds can be wired out immediately you deposit the dollars in cash.

You can still receive money into your domiciliary account through dollar cheque deposit and wire transfer. Look at what I am saying as a business tip and not as an argument (APC vs PDP).

Am well versed in this business. So I know the tricks in and out.

What is the bank's gain by going against money speculators? Or you don't know that it is to their own profit? That the higher USD deposits, the higher their charges and commissions and they loan out funds, backed by foreign currencies (tricky) to organisations? Besides why will all banks unilaterally decide to stop accepting deposits without a directive from the CBN? Probably you don't know the rules of CBN.

I do not know where you got me said the banks not collecting USD was to punish "exporters". Please oh, don't ascribe words I did write to me.

Then again, how will you be identified as a currency speculator? How I wish you know how these bankers work. Even the guys at the top do not encourage their friends to tow that line.

The two banks you could actually have some "help" is Standard Chartered and Citibank and these banks require stringent documentation processes.

Like you said, with cheque instruments (very recent development and using Fidelity), you can transfer funds but still has its short fall. And I don't know if you know of the huge fine paid by Fidelity Bank and FCMB for various infractions.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by 989900: 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2015
This is a temporary policy to checkmate racketeers and 'polithiefians'.

It's gon' hurt some 'legit' though.

GTB still charges N225 though, on Naira Master card transactions
. angry sad
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by wristbangle: 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2015
andyanders:

It is not possible for the naira to appreciate to 160 to per dollar is the next 6 months.This is because we our export cannot exceed our imports to earn us foreign exchange.The oil price has crashed and we are not producing in order to start earning forex.

So tell me how you can force the naira to appreciate within 6 months.
You can ONLY start making meaningful progress when we start exporting our locally manufactured products.

Sighs... U are right there. Meanwhile our refineries are not enough to produce the required consumption needed for the country let alone neighbouring country as crude prices has declined.

Honestly, Nigeria need to embrace her first love which is agriculture.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by chiteny(m): 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
barcanista:

Ideal Situation

God Bless Us All

OP, My view. Correct me if i am wrong on it.

Scenario 1: My son schools abroad and i want to pay his school fees. I step into a bank and i am given a form to make an FX transfer directly to the school account for his fees. The naira equivalent and the prevailing official exchange rate is withdrawn from my naira account with the bank.

Scenario 2: I import goods and walk into the bank and fill out the FX transfer form and the Naira equivalent is subtracted from my naira account at the prevailing official exchange rate.

Does this not put to null and void you salient points and effects (from 1-5)?

This is what i did. It is not fiction.

if more Nigerians who are interested in manufacturing follow suit and import machery and set up manufacturing industries here, will this not further strengthen the naira?

3 Likes

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
A guy that imports laptop and computer accessories by transfering dollars out from his domiciliary accounts... sells the laptop in his shop in Naira is not affected, so what are we talking about?

He deposits dollars and immediately the process of wiring it out starts before he leaves the banking hall... he did not just deposit it and leave it in the account... he initiates wire transfer on the deposit.... the same guy is changing dollars in black market, going to bank deposit the money with the instruction to wire immediately...

kaboninc:

Am well versed in this business. So I know the tricks in and out.

What is the bank's gain by going against money speculators? Or you don't know that it is to their own profit? That the higher USD deposits, the higher their charges and commissions and they loan out funds, backed by foreign currencies (tricky) to organisations? Besides why will all banks unilaterally decide to stop accepting deposits without a directive from the CBN? Probably you don't know the rules of CBN.

I do not know where you got me said the banks not collecting USD was to punish "exporters". Please oh, don't ascribe words I did write to me.

Then again, how will you be identified as a currency speculator? How I wish you know how these bankers work. Even the guys at the top do not encourage their friends to tow that line.

The two banks you could actually have some "help" is Standard Chartered and Citibank and these banks require stringent documentation processes.

Like you said, with cheque instruments (very recent development and using Fidelity), you can transfer funds but still has its short fall. And I don't know if you know of the huge fine paid by Fidelity Bank and FCMB for various infractions.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by 989900: 9:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
wristbangle:

Sighs... U are right there. Meanwhile our refineries are not enough to produce the required consumption needed for the country let alone neighbouring country has crude prices as declined.

Honestly, Nigeria need to embrace her first love which is agriculture.

If our refineries work @ 90% capacity, we should be getting roughly 17-19 million litres of PMS alone. Then you get some AGO, DPK and e.t.c. And if power maintains the momentum/improves and smuggling to other countries is checked, then we wouldn't even be needing the falsely touted 40 million litres of PMS/day.

We likely won't need to import more than 15-25% of what we do now. And that is quite some breather on forex which refined petroleum products alone account for roughly 40% or more presently!

Take out import of some other silly items, plus local production growth -- the Naira appreciates!

Then we need to tackle excess liquidity created by the CBN.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by OAMMB(f): 9:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
i am not an economist i am an engineer by professsion and i may be wrong in my assertations... but this is my opinon if Godwin is able to fustrate the use of dollars to do business in nigeria by mopping out dollars out of the banks and streets (for those into importing)....dont you think it will help local manufactures of goods and services and promote our indigeous manufacturers to step up their games....already power is becoming constant and soon i believe local manufacturing will raise to the occasion. we might not get there over night with this but we will get there some day by reducing our importation of goods from other countries. already people from benin republic are already coming to buy dollars in nigeria off our streets because the banks are not taking it which i think is good....
last year and early this year there was too much dollars in the system probably because of the elections (sharing money etc by both parties)...i am not sure if that was the reason for the jack up of dollar to naira?
But in my own opinion i think it is a good thing that the banks and CBN are reducing business done in dollars....its so bad that you want to pay rent in some places in nigeria they will request dollars from you or even pay your child school fees they will request dollars from you and i am confused that is dollars our national currency....no one wants the naira anymore. undecided
i think its not a bad situation for now...letz see how it pans out....my small understanding i may be wrong tho

1 Like

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by aewhydot: 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2015
barcanista:

Ideal Situation

God Bless Us All

To those who seems to know it all............ They knew nothing after all said and done.

Go get a life outside naira land local champ

1 Like

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by joseph1832(m): 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2015
Mynd44, I've gone through this thread from page 0 to 6 and barcanista never replied your mention. Believe me you that he saw it, but because he knows fully well that replying you will further expose his half truth and twisted economics as well as his one sided analysis, he chose to not reply it.

And should you wonder why he always call on his dogs, (you call them goon, I prefer to call them dogs) whenever he opens a thread, he does so so that they can debate their twisted facts and logic, deceive the feeble minded and use that to cajole the mods so his thread can be moved to front page so his pay masters will know that he's doing what he's been paid to do!.

You might also have noticed how he only open threads that counter and attack any 'good' the present administration score, and when he can't counter it, he attributes the success to the past administration.

Barcanista and his dogs can only be satisfied, only when GEJ is sworn back as president!. Its such a pity!.

1 Like

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2015
Using FX transfer form solves the whole problem... you can still import by using Naira.

aewhydot:

To those who seems to know it all............ They knew nothing after all said and done.

Go get a life outside naira land local champ

1 Like

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by chudy144(m): 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2015
Yeee Yeee
My head won burst ooo.

Different ideaolgy different opinions which one we go take now...

I pray for our leaders that God should give them more understanding to help us with all this problems we are facing.

God bless Naija!
God bless Naira!!
God bless our leaders with more wisdom!!!
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by wealthyguyman(m): 10:05pm On Aug 04, 2015
helpee:
@ barcanista, thanks for the analysis. kindly disregard those that have nothing to contribute except shouting wailing wailers. But i disagree with you. naira actually depreciated against the dollar because of excessive speculation. As you know, due to the ban on 41 products importers from accessing forex at the official rate, they had to source it from the parallel market. The excessive demand for forex by these importers from the black market at first created a scarcity that pushed the dollar up temporarily. speculators then cashed on that and started hoarding dollars thinking the dollar will keep rising against the naira especially since the new govt has no concrete plan in place. i was almost caught up too. i was advised to change most of my daily sales to dollars and then deposit in my DOM account in speculation of a further weakening of the naira. therefore, the banks were flooded by speculators with dollar deposits and many of them under the disguise of importation are laundering the money abroad via transfer. so, by refusing to accept the dollars, the CBN is playing a very smart move aagainst speculators. many people are therefore caught with dollars which they cant transfer or even deposit except to convert it to naira. therefore, the economy is flooded with dollars and demand is less than supply so the dollar must come down.
IS IT SUSTAINABLE/
Yes but we will temporarily suffer in sacrifice for a prosperous naira. importers will be temporarily caught unaware. the CBN will only create a bereaucratic bottleneck that will make it difficult for anybody except importers to access forex. BVN is one of the them. money launderers that used to access forex and transfer via DOM account will be cut off by the bottleneck. speculators will not find it attractive to hoard dollars because unless they ggenuinely need the dollars, they wont be able to get value for it since they cant spend it locally, cant transfer and cant even deposit. what do you need a useless dollar for?
it is not easy to open domicilliary account in neigbouring countries like you suggested unless you are a citizen or permanent/legal resident so few will be able to divert import activities to the neigbouring countries. therefore, even without increasing local production of imported stuffs, the naira will still stabilise against the dollar at a favourable position cos the most damage done to the naira usually comes from speculators. once we only access just the dollar we need for importation, school fees and other legal business abroad, we will stop speculating with the naira .
Even if things are temporarily expensive, we youths should take up the challenge and start producing. you can start with toothpick for example cos it is part of the products banned from accessing forex officially. the bottomline is that if it will be sustainable we must support the CBN in this quest. this is the first policy of this govt/CBN that i support.

2000 likes. Very balanced analysis. Just wish some nlanders will outgrow their pathetic political inclinations and see things the way they truly are.
Barcanista, keep the check and balance role on this govt going.

2 Likes

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by mecuzee(m): 10:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
The major cause for naira depreciation is the fall of crude oil prices plus the fact that Nigerian crude oil is not as marketable as before. Remember crude oil is the mainstay of our economy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo Gives Nigerians A Glimpse Into His Office (Pic) / Governor Wike Is In Abia To Commission The Osisioma Flyover. / Ebonyi State Officially Launch Ebubeagu Security Network (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.