Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,264 members, 7,839,331 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate (47024 Views)

The Man Behind Naira Appreciation- Mr Babatunde Gbadamosi, A Lagos Businessman / Naira Appreciation: Osinbajo Needs To Teach Buhari His Magic / Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by otumopkor(m): 11:26am On Aug 05, 2015
datigbogirl:

So what should someone like me that has changed naira to dollars do now...I wanna buy something abroad but it's pretty difficult right now...what should I do? I think it should be possible to open a gtbank account in cotonou or ghana now?

Emmm bring the dollars and lets see what we can do about it grin
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by datigbogirl: 11:28am On Aug 05, 2015
otumopkor:

Emmm bring the dollars and lets see what we can do about it grin

Ori eh lo buru!
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by otumopkor(m): 11:30am On Aug 05, 2015
AhmadMind:

[size=18pt]
@barcanista
@teeowl
@lastpage
@MizMyColi
@mickey45
@jomoh

AND ALL OTHERS [/size]

[size=19pt]
DOES IT MEAN THAT CBN must Now back ALL the Naira purchases done online ?

DOES IT MEAN THAT CBN must Dip into its Forex Reserves to back ALL legitimate demands for school fees etc?

What happens when all Forex is snapped up by Traders from other neighbouring countries

What happens when dollar in circulation out side banks becomes very scarce

I put it to you that its not 'speculators' .....but sensible Nigerians that converted their Naira to ensure they held unto the value of their money long term/.[/size]

Bros why you they toggle your capslock like this. If english is not your major, no be by force to use am o. And by the way you are breaking every rule i the rule book by using large fonts. Beware lol! Na joke o
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by otumopkor(m): 11:33am On Aug 05, 2015
datigbogirl:

Ori eh lo buru!

Ibo girl enter Yoruba because of money. I was only trying to help o grin Chai! Ibo kwenu!
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by otumopkor(m): 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2015
Forget all this fire brigade CBN new rules abeg. If you think Nigeria is still the giant of Africa. Think again. And if you think am saying rubbish, answer this question: What country would be the first in Africa to be a Nuclear power? Those Answers hovering in your head are the true giants of Africa. Through corruption and mismanagement they (public and elected officials) have destroyed this country, leaving the masses to suffer. My prayer is that God opens the eyes of Nigerians to see the filth that is going on in the system and rise for a revolution.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by otumopkor(m): 12:17pm On Aug 05, 2015
jmoore:
No celebration till $1 = ₦1

Well that is never going to happen. Apart from toothpicks, we are importing KOPIKO sweet. It is Never ever going to happen 300-400 years later maybe lets hope
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by liteImpactlagos: 3:10pm On Aug 05, 2015
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by henryskywalker2003(m): 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2015
Mynd44:
To answer these questions, the OP needs to put in the post above what led to the Naira depreciating from 154/156 in November2014 to 196 in December 2014 first.

When you do that, we can then start to track the primary factors and how we can tackle the strength of the Naira viz-a-viz the price of goods in the market.

To take this issue from the events of May 2015 is just you attempting to put squares pegs in round holes.

Too much making of sense.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by debeo: 8:27pm On Aug 05, 2015
barcanista, you are very good with words, i only have one issue with u.

You are NEVER objective! Especially if it has to do with Buhari

Did you listen to the reason why banks stopped receiving dollars?

Are you aware it was not a CBN policy? Did you hear FCMB MD's reasom.why they stopped collecting fx cash?

Do you know that Nigeria has turned to the dumping ground for fx cash?

Do you know the average fx cash a bank receives? Can.you compare to its outflow?

How many times do you go to the bank and see someone withdrawing fx cash? Compared deposit?

Do.you know this fx just lie in the bank vaults accumulating dust , security and admin cost?

Do you know that our economy has been dollarised?

I know you do a lot of reseach, but here, u just failed me, woefully

Before writing anything again on Fx, please consult a treasury expert as well as an.economist

Let me stop here
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by fx45(m): 9:18pm On Aug 05, 2015
Mynd44:

But was there ever any time they sold petrol for 87? We all know that was all for election campaign na
I've been buying fuel for N87 at NNPC Mega Stations. Is anybody still doing campaign?
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by AhmadMind: 7:22am On Oct 05, 2015
[size=18pt]DEAR JOMOH.....

I Like Reviewing the past.....

CBN has WASTED DOLLARS trying to control the Naira....... Months later CBN is still plummeting the Foreign Reserves and yet.... I just converted euros @ N262/€1.....

The Best Antidote as I said earlier is for the Naira to seek its true value

[/size]

jomoh:

Yes. Only CBN should be able to back the Naira. It also means that demand for school fees has to go through the CBN. Better for the country (better statistics of inflow and outflow of Dollars from the economy. less money laundry, less corruption of the currency market etc) and better for the buyer(cheaper than from speculators)

Forex cannot be snapped up by anybody. It is will be in the custody of CBN and other banks.

Anyone who wants to trade with forex should go to Forex market online and trade. it is for every one all over the world to trade in (free entry, free exit). You don't have to be in Nigeria to trade with Naira. You can be in Nigeria and trade with Japanese (Yen) and South African (Rand)

What is dollars doing in circulation? Is it our official currency? NO.

So why use it to distabilize our economy by causing confusion

The only legal and sensible way to trade your Naira to dollars is through the CBN and Banks not through speculators. If there are no speculators, people wont go about converting Naira into dollar.

LOL @ bold Purple sentence

Your choice of words is contradictory to your experience described up there.

I expected an opposing view to what I wrote but your experience only buttressed my points.

BTW did you read the Paragraph below in my initial comment? If not. Please read again and pay attention to the words in bold. Thank God you know the ideal situation should be the RED COLOURED STATEMENT in your comment.

Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by jomoh: 9:24am On Oct 05, 2015
AhmadMind:
[size=18pt]DEAR JOMOH.....

CBN has WASTED DOLLARS trying to control the Naira....... Months later CBN is still plummeting the Foreign Reserves and yet.... I just converted euros @ N262/€1.....

The Best Antidote as I said earlier is for the Naira to seek its true value

[/size]

My broda even though I've forgotten most of our conversation, I've not forgotten what I stood for. There can be nothing like "finding true value" if there is no policy protecting the economy because we still have a very fragile, highly volatile (very elastic) economy.

First let me ask you where you got you euro from. The bank or the BDC? Expecting your answer.
I am pretty sure you got it from the BDC(mallams). What do you need foreign currency for that you cannot get it from the bank at a more favourable price. If the currency is made to be easily available to anyone through the bank, no one will patronise the BDC but because you go to banks and they refer you to the BDC. The BDC sees that you have no choice than to come to them, they increase the price.

BTW am not against the dollar or any foreign currency to take its normal course am only against it flooding my country to the point that everyone now prefer it to our country's currency because it is stronger and more stable.

What is dollar doing in circulation in our economy when it is not our currency. If we are going to have dollars in our system at all, let it either be only in electronic form or easily accessible through the banks so that people will have the choice to either choose fromm the cheaper one from the bank or the expensive one from the BDC.

Let there be restrictions on the amount of dollar that can be withdrawn in a day like it is on the Naira. This is to curb the amount of dollar a single person can have in his hands and also curb hoarding of the currency.

Let there be a maximum amount of dollar you can have in your account for a period of time. This will curb the hoarding of the currency to make it scarce and expensive.

There's a limit to the amount of dollar Nigeria can make in a day. There is no limit to the amount of dollar that can be withdrawn. The more dollars in peoples hands, the more they hoard and when the FG, CBN, Banks is short of dollar to sell to genuine business men, they will have no choice but to fall back to the people hoarding it who will then sell at a very high amount.

Presently the CBN is pushing out the dollar to flood the economy so that there will be more than enough in the economy thereby making it cheap but our porous borders and corrupt customs are frustrating the process. This is what the CBN failed to put into consideration before putting up their "no deposit" policy.

These is my own opinion but it is subject to argument which could be superior than mine.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by BushidoBlue(m): 9:55pm On Oct 06, 2015
otumopkor:

Bros why you they toggle your capslock like this. If english is not your major, no be by force to use am o. And by the way you are breaking every rule i the rule book by using large fonts. Beware lol! Na joke o
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by AhmadMind: 11:05am On Nov 23, 2015
jomoh:

My broda even though I've forgotten most of our conversation, I've not forgotten what I stood for. There can be nothing like "finding true value" if there is no policy protecting the economy because we still have a very fragile, highly volatile (very elastic) economy.

First let me ask you where you got you euro from. The bank or the BDC? Expecting your answer.
I am pretty sure you got it from the BDC(mallams). What do you need foreign currency for that you cannot get it from the bank at a more favourable price. If the currency is made to be easily available to anyone through the bank, no one will patronise the BDC but because you go to banks and they refer you to the BDC. The BDC sees that you have no choice than to come to them, they increase the price.

BTW am not against the dollar or any foreign currency to take its normal course am only against it flooding my country to the point that everyone now prefer it to our country's currency because it is stronger and more stable.

What is dollar doing in circulation in our economy when it is not our currency. If we are going to have dollars in our system at all, let it either be only in electronic form or easily accessible through the banks so that people will have the choice to either choose fromm the cheaper one from the bank or the expensive one from the BDC.

Let there be restrictions on the amount of dollar that can be withdrawn in a day like it is on the Naira. This is to curb the amount of dollar a single person can have in his hands and also curb hoarding of the currency.

[size=28pt]DEAR JOMOH.....

CBN has WASTED DOLLARS[/size]

Let there be a maximum amount of dollar you can have in your account for a period of time. This will curb the hoarding of the currency to make it scarce and expensive.

There's a limit to the amount of dollar Nigeria can make in a day. There is no limit to the amount of dollar that can be withdrawn. The more dollars in peoples hands, the more they hoard and when the FG, CBN, Banks is short of dollar to sell to genuine business men, they will have no choice but to fall back to the people hoarding it who will then sell at a very high amount.

Presently the CBN is pushing out the dollar to flood the economy so that there will be more than enough in the economy thereby making it cheap but our porous borders and corrupt customs are frustrating the process. This is what the CBN failed to put into consideration before putting up their "no deposit" policy.

These is my own opinion but it is subject to argument which could be superior than mine.
Re: Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate by jomoh: 11:47am On Nov 23, 2015
[quote author=AhmadMind post=40316551][/quote]
Ok I hear you. Satisfied.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Israel/Palestine Crisis: Muslims Protest In Abuja And Ibadan- Photos / Obasanjo Is Clearly Promoting Peter Obi In The North - Mahdi Shehu / Hope Uzodinma's Supreme Court Victory Reunites Okorocha, Ararume & Uche Nwosu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.