Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Igbo Stereotypes - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Stereotypes (27914 Views)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by tonychristopher: 12:14am On Sep 27, 2015
SonOfEl:

you just exhibited what I stereotyped negatively as regards anambra men. hahaha......

as an abia man, no amambarian can intimidate me. if abians are to boast, anambra will sweat it out with us. just saying though....

by the way, I respect anambra, despite your shortcomings, you guys are making the IGBO nation proud.

Thank you ..anambra has been made like that by our Chi ..we have that believe that we are too much and that has been out driving factor .odenigboaroli shouldnt be blamed for confidence... That's an average anambra man even me . we are proud and that is good

We can't all be like delta Igbo which some are confused over their identity nor be like ikwerre who hate their identity

I think the leadership of Igbo naturally rest on anambra so it is akalaka

This isn't bragging but I think anambra is okay with her culture and we don't talk down on any Igbo. In my house from uncles and aunts to us . we married non anambra Igbo so how can we look down on Igbo?

Odenigboaroli is on point but its the dialect part I don't like .he is my good friend and has never seem him nasty so let's understand he is proud of his dialect and that should be respected. Me that can't speak my dialect should be chastised

Dalu nuu
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 12:51am On Sep 27, 2015
*peeks head in* Are we comparing the awesomeness of our various speech forms? cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:11pm On Sep 27, 2015
ChinenyeN:
*peeks head in* Are we comparing the awesomeness of our various speech forms? cheesy

Everybody can write their dialect ,except you.... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:15pm On Sep 27, 2015
[quote author=SonOfEl post=38412943]

Ighotarum ih'ine kwu, mana obu nwayo-nwayo ka-ejie wunte enyi....calm down, your favourite fragrance might be my own turn off. gerrit....? lol..
.[/qu.

Nwokem, are you learning how to write Igbo? Ekenekwa m' gi.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:21pm On Sep 27, 2015
DocAdray:
Funny thread, stereotypes indeed!
There's beauty in diversity obviously. This topic is just something to laugh over and not to take to heart.
@ OdenigboAroli, whatever made you think that Anambrarians are superior That's why other tribes keep laughing at us over our 'disunity' and boastful attitude. At least pretend to be proud of your Igbo- ness first before shoving your heaven-made Anambra down our throats.

Ndi b'anyi, ekene m unu....

Madam,where in my post did I say Anambra is superior?
People need to chill out.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by SonOfEl(m): 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2015
[quote author=OdenigboAroli post=38426494][/quote]

I should be asking you that question. the anambra Igbo you are writing is not central Igbo... chofuta kwa n'onwegi....
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:50pm On Sep 27, 2015
SonOfEl:

I should be asking you that question. the anambra Igbo you are writing is not central Igbo... chofuta kwa n'onwegi....

How many times have I said I date writing in central Igbo. The Igbo I write is Idenmili/Onicha axis and thats where I come from. However,I am not worried about the dialect you write in but how well you write it. The Igbo you wrote in the first post I quoted was faulty. I can understand Umuahia,Arochukwu and even Owerri . So,dont think because I am so Anambraic I don't get around.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 4:23pm On Sep 27, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Everybody can write their dialect ,except you.... grin
Ah ah.. why not I? Where is the equity now?
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Ah ah.. why not I? Where is the equity now?

Nnaa,when I read your written Ngwa I get migraines.... grin
Jokes aside,I think you are trying to re-invent stone age Ngwa language. Myself don't even write core Umuoji but a unified Idenmili/Onicha dialect. But let's try,I want to learn Ngwa. You can write something like ......nothing one does will ever please the world....Onwero Ife iya eme si ka imeta uwa mma.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 4:54pm On Sep 27, 2015
Lol reinvent stone age Ngwa language? I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean, but it sounds interesting.

Nothing one does will ever please the world
O dii whne l'eme l'amalagh uwa nma.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by SonOfEl(m): 5:29pm On Sep 27, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

How many times have I said I date writing in central Igbo. The Igbo I write is Idenmili/Onicha axis and thats where I come from. However,I am not worried about the dialect you write in but how well you write it. The Igbo you wrote in the first post I quoted was faulty. I can understand Umuahia,Arochukwu and even Owerri . So,dont think because I am so Anambraic I don't get around.

then correct the faults so I can see them...am waiting....
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:13pm On Sep 27, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Lol reinvent stone age Ngwa language? I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean, but it sounds interesting.

Nothing one does will ever please the world
O dii whne l'eme l'amalagh uwa nma.

Nnaa,this one looks harder than I thought....lol. I understand the "O dii' part and uwa nma but I'eme l'amalagha. I can you explain these words.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 7:53pm On Sep 27, 2015
The l'eme construction is the equivalent of does.
The l'ama follows the same logic and gives us something akin to pleases.
The -lagh is a verb suffix that denotes eventuality in Ngwa.

An example that might help you better understand..
O dii whne madhu l'eme l'amalagh uwa nma.
-nothing-person-does-ever pleases-world

Ngwa has grammatical constructions that let us bypass auxiliary verbs (is/am, will). I honestly don't expect anyone to fully grasp and understand it with this small explanation, but it's enough to at least sort of get the picture. Anyway, let me not talk too much, before I give too much away and then deny myself of the opportunity to watch people stumble in the dark. grin
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Chigold101(m): 10:44am On Sep 28, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Ndiigbo are a very diverse group and certain regions have become known for certain characteristics. Do you mind writing some (harmless) stereotypes that you may know

For example
Enugu babes are well educated and calm *in Wizboyy's voice* Nna mehnnn see wife material 50 yards!
But I heard they have frigid tendencies angry

Anambra dudes are the greatest hustlers in all of Africa (and they are disgustingly rich chaiiii)
But I heard they no go school embarassed

Imo state girls are notoriously beautiful and fair
*sings Flavour's Gollibe*
But I heard they too like prostitution lipsrsealed

Abians can make anything. They make fake wey bettah pass original
But I heard that they have a lot of cannibals shocked

Ebonyi people have great farming skills I don't know what to say about this one ooo but its sha good
But I heard no one can understand their dialect cry

My state is included here o so don't come and fight me

cc: gurgle phut adaeze003 igboson1 oremussanctus ecoterrors ihuomadinihu chinenyen
Nnemuka zinachidi
lolzzz Anambra no de school? You better make ur research well...
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Pchidexy(m): 6:17pm On Sep 28, 2015
[quote author=OdenigboAroli post=38372570]

So,what is your point ? I hope you are not trying to say all Igbo has the same origin. Just because part Ebonyi used to be in old Anambra doesn't mean an Obosi and Afikpo are kins. We are all Igbo yet distinct in our ways. And I think it should be left like that. Our sweet Anambra dialect is dying out because of Igbo Izugbe. Today you hear Anambra people answering Chinecherem instead of Chinelo or Chinechelum,Ebere instead of Ebele,Amara instead of Amala. Anambra tongue flows easily and very sweet but our people careless. One day my chic said "chere" instead of chelu and I just looked at her with so much fury. I hate Igbo Izugbe to my bone marrow and it irritates me when Anambra person speaks it or write in it. Infact, I look down on any Anambrarian that uses that version. We need to be the way God made us....I.e keeping the things that make us stand out! I don't care about stereotypes because I have lived with ENUGU and Imo people and have heard it all....from money ritualists aka ogwuego,illiterate traders aka ndi Omata, and our L factor. They say we can't pronounce R. At a point I stopped using R just to give them something to talk about....Emelu enu emelu ana nwa Omanbala ka m' bu lukwaa echi. I don't need to brag but when you encounter me in real life you will certainly feel that superior nobility ingrained in the Omanbala man/woman. Onye wee iwe nnie![/quote

Your post is filled with unnecessary bile and contempt. There is nothing like Anambra Igbo. You can specifically talk about Omambala Igbo. Majority of Anambrarians from Aguata,Ihiala,Nnewi,Orumba and the rest use 'r' instead of 'l'. Bro you need to soft pedal. You have an over sized ego.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Obynolee(f): 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2015
[quote author=Pchidexy post=38471563][/quote]

If not for the fact that you didn't pass Igbo in secondary school you would have known that olu mba is not acceptable in edemede Igbo,it is your type that irritate me a great deal when they speak (my blother Rawlence is in university studying raw,when he graduates he becomes a rawyer if you mess up he will rock you)
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

So,what is your point ? I hope you are not trying to say all Igbo has the same origin. Just because part Ebonyi used to be in old Anambra doesn't mean an Obosi and Afikpo are kins. We are all Igbo yet distinct in our ways. And I think it should be left like that. Our sweet Anambra dialect is dying out because of Igbo Izugbe. Today you hear Anambra people answering Chinecherem instead of Chinelo or Chinechelum,Ebere instead of Ebele,Amara instead of Amala. Anambra tongue flows easily and very sweet but our people careless. One day my chic said "chere" instead of chelu and I just looked at her with so much fury. I hate Igbo Izugbe to my bone marrow and it irritates me when Anambra person speaks it or write in it. Infact, I look down on any Anambrarian that uses that version. We need to be the way God made us....I.e keeping the things that make us stand out! I don't care about stereotypes because I have lived with ENUGU and Imo people and have heard it all....from money ritualists aka ogwuego,illiterate traders aka ndi Omata, and our L factor. They say we can't pronounce R. At a point I stopped using R just to give them something to talk about....Emelu enu emelu ana nwa Omanbala ka m' bu lukwaa echi. I don't need to brag but when you encounter me in real life you will certainly feel that superior nobility ingrained in the Omanbala man/woman. Onye wee iwe nnie!
I'm not sure but I think if you write in the anambra igbo version your may just fail that exam(cos its the wrong format. Its like expressing yourself in pidgin english instead of the properly accepted english format.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 9:07pm On Sep 28, 2015
Igbo language schooling is trash and by extension the exams are meaningless. After all that schooling, Izugbe still fails to take hold and no well-meaning Igbo speaker even speaks it for what it is. Funny thing is that I write better Igbo Izugbe than most people I have seen who supposedly went to school for it. Shows how useless Igbo schooling truly is. At the end of the day, dialects will always remain supreme, though some may fall to oblivion due to linguistic convergence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2015
Chigold101:
lolzzz Anambra no de school? You better make ur research well...
it's not research. the title of the thread says 'stereotypes'
refer to other posts tho, mine is probably the most inaccurate.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by scholes0(m): 7:23pm On Sep 29, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Igbo language schooling is trash and by extension the exams are meaningless. After all that schooling, Izugbe still fails to take hold and no well-meaning Igbo speaker even speaks it for what it is. Funny thing is that I write better Igbo Izugbe than most people I have seen who supposedly went to school for it. Shows how useless Igbo schooling truly is. At the end of the day, dialects will always remain supreme, though some may fall to oblivion due to linguistic convergence.

Na waa o...
So how does google translate Igbo work/operate then? How useful is it as a resource for people interested in Learning "street Igbo" ?
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by SonOfEl(m): 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2015
ChinenyeN:

my dear you are wrong. if not for izugbe (central) Igbo, Igbo language would not have any national or international representation. how will Igbo books and other materials be published?

if izugbe had most of your ngwa dialect, would you have complained?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 7:18pm On Sep 30, 2015
Scholes0, Google Translate for Igbo is severely wanting. A 5 year old Igbo-speaking child can give better translations than Google Translate for Igbo. I advise against using Google Translate to try to survive the streets of Igboland. haha

SonOfEl (nice name by the way), does Izugbe help with international and national recognition and representation? Yes. Should we credit it solely for such recognition and representation? No. Izugbe is simply the latest in a long line of orthographic/grammatical standards that has resulted from 400+ years of Igbo language studies. Izugbe is only just getting on its feet and can barely stand well-enough in Igboland, let alone shoulder the credit for national and international representation.

SonOfEl:
how will Igbo books and other materials be published?
Like all other books and materials are published. The use of Izugbe is inconsequential here.

SonOfEl:
if izugbe had most of your ngwa dialect, would you have complained?
I don't get what this question is for. What does Ngwa have to do with Izugbe other than the fact that they are so-called "dialects" of "Igbo", though one is 100% artificial and the other has a historical, cultural and social significance.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by SonOfEl(m): 7:44pm On Sep 30, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Scholes0, Google Translate for Igbo is severely wanting. A 5 year old Igbo-speaking child can give better translations than Google Translate for Igbo. I advise against using Google Translate to try to survive the streets of Igboland. haha

SonOfEl (nice name by the way), does Izugbe help with international and national recognition and representation? Yes. Should we credit it solely for such recognition and representation? No. Izugbe is simply the latest in a long line of orthographic/grammatical standards that has resulted from 400+ years of Igbo language studies. Izugbe is only just getting on its feet and can barely stand well-enough in Igboland, let alone shoulder the credit for national and international representation.

Like all other books and materials are published. The use of Izugbe is inconsequential here.

I don't get what this question is for. What does Ngwa have to do with Izugbe other than the fact that they are so-called "dialects" of "Igbo", though one is 100% artificial and the other has a historical, cultural and social significance.

nwanne haru ih'ahu ine kwu..... the positives of izugbe far outweighs its inadequacies. I listen to Igbo radio stations and TV stations, I have also read the Igbo bible and other materials.... I give it to izugbe big time.

Igbo is not the only language with those challenges you made mention of, the good news though, is that it is in working progress.

I still love my own local ubakala dialect in umuahia, a lot of its intonations and adjectives are different from izugbe. it does not mean though that the similarities are less either, infact, owerri/umuahia (particularly ohuhu side) igbo lends much to izugbe. izugbe is intelligible to all Igbo clans.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 7:56pm On Sep 30, 2015
What positives? Izugbe only has one purpose, to facilitate communication between Igbo speakers. That's the sole reason for the artificial creation, and that's the only thing it does well. Beyond that, Izugbe does not supersede the dialects.
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by tonychristopher: 2:31am On Oct 02, 2015
scholes0:

Na waa o...
So how does google translate Igbo work/operate then? How useful is it as a resource for people interested in Learning "street Igbo" ?

Google Igbo translation is whack

Who are the Igbo guys that even wrote that software for em
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by tonychristopher: 2:32am On Oct 02, 2015
ChinenyeN:
What positives? Izugbe only has one purpose, to facilitate communication between Igbo speakers. That's the sole reason for the artificial creation, and that's the only thing it does well. Beyond that, Izugbe does not supersede the dialects.

Was Igbo izugbe artificially created ? I thought it evolved
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by Ihuomadinihu: 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Lmao! Which Igbo group migrated from Anambra? Or that people that live side by side speak and act like each other. Onye ara!
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by connkg(m): 4:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
@Ihuoma: I think Odenigbo meant the Nri migration, not an emigration from Anambra

@Odenigbo: I am from Onitsha,but had to ask the meaning of your moniker in another thread remember?

@topic: I think great men/ mentors have fuelled existing stereotypes, such as N.Azikiwe(Anambra),J.T.U Ironsi(Abia),S.Mbakwe and a million civil servants in Enugu. I might be wrong, but aside the effect of stereotypes in "inspiring" a younger generation to acts brave or reckless,anyone could be anything. Ihuoma believes Imo women are special; Odenigbo believes his identity is special...and they both can be anything-right or wrong!
In this case, Azi akaro iwe. Gidigidi bu Ugwu Eze.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 3:24am On Oct 04, 2015
tonychristopher:
Was Igbo izugbe artificially created ? I thought it evolved

Yep, Izugbe is an artificial creation. It didn't evolve from anything. Instead, features of Izugbe were deliberately handpicked, based off what the standardizing committee believed to be the underlying basis for modern Igbo speech forms. Izugbe is not the natural dialect of any Igbo-speaking people or township.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Stereotypes by tonychristopher: 7:09am On Oct 04, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Yep, Izugbe is an artificial creation. It didn't evolve from anything. Instead, features of Izugbe were deliberately handpicked, based off what the standardizing committee believed to be the underlying basis for modern Igbo speech forms. Izugbe is not the natural dialect of any Igbo-speaking people or township.

No

Eo created it and who imposed it
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by ChinenyeN(m): 7:46am On Oct 04, 2015
What we currently understand as Izugbe is the compounded result of efforts by the Onwu Committee of 1961 (orthography) and the SPILC 1970s - 80s (lexicon and grammar).
Re: Igbo Stereotypes by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:22pm On Oct 05, 2015
connkg:
@Ihuoma: I think Odenigbo meant the Nri migration, not an emigration from Anambra

@Odenigbo: I am from Onitsha,but had to ask the meaning of your moniker in another thread remember?

@topic: I think great men/ mentors have fuelled existing stereotypes, such as N.Azikiwe(Anambra),J.T.U Ironsi(Abia),S.Mbakwe and a million civil servants in Enugu. I might be wrong, but aside the effect of stereotypes in "inspiring" a younger generation to acts brave or reckless,anyone could be anything. Ihuoma believes Imo women are special; Odenigbo believes his identity is special...and they both can be anything-right or wrong!
In this case, Azi akaro iwe. Gidigidi bu Ugwu Eze.

Oh, I remember you now. And when you mentioned where you are from I realize why you asked the question in the other thread.

As for the girl/man you quoted she has an inbuilt insecurity.... Anybody who knows the history of the Orlu areas should know there were migration southwards from Anambra towns and at the fall of Aro confederate people left the town and moved northwards.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ogun To End Idolatry In Installation, Burial Of Traditional Rulers / White Students Of Yoruba Language University, U.S Singing Yoruba Hymn!(video) / Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.