Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

[Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt (4237 Views)

My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) / In Need Of Info On Trip To Liberia / 97 Nigerians Deported From South Africa For Various Offences Arrive In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Liquid2Metal: 5:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Well done bro! Please continue with the update, I personally am learning a lot. Am working presently as a helpdesk support, while studying to get my ccna. As a way of motivation, can u share with us, your career history, ur certifications, training and general advise on how to excel in the IT industry? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by 14(m): 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
Chikko:
Have been quite busy with work related meetings on Sunday so could not update the thread with my activities. Okay, here we go.
So Sunday, had some pre workday meeting in the Hotel with my team. We finished up with dinner in the restaurant and drinks at the bar. The hotel is really nice, and meals are well prepared and reasonably priced for someone from my part of the world. However, I have heard locals say the hotel is pricey.
I love the buffet breakfast, and dinner.

I also went out to the Menlyn Park mall to purchase Electrical outlet adapters so I can charge my electrical appliances. Whaaaaat!!!!, that mall is massive.

Went to bed at about 9pm local time or at least tried to, the time zone difference (6hrs) is still kicking my butt. As much as I have traveled, the body cannot be fooled. Swimming and going to the gym helped to relax me. I fell asleep later, while reading a Tom Clancy Novel.
Pics.
Breakfast and dinner meals.

Menlyn mall is not even the biggest mall in SA, There is GATE WAY Mall in durban and Sandton Mall which are the biggest.
Below is the picture od menlyn mall

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 11:09pm On Aug 18, 2015
14:

Menlyn mall is not even the biggest mall in SA, There is GATE WAY Mall in durban and Sandton Mall which are the biggest.
Below is the picture od menlyn mall

Yea, that's what I heard, that there are larger Malls than Menlyn. I by no means expected it to be the largest, but in sheer size, it is still massive.

On thing they need to improve upon is directional signage. I was looking for a Mall directory to guide me to the stores I was looking for - cape union mart and a travel accessories store- and could not find one. I entered from the 3A parking garage entrance. I finally found an information desk, where the Lady there directed me to where I needed to go. The mall is still being expanded or at least there is some demolition and construction going on in another section of the mall property.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 6:55am On Aug 19, 2015
Crap, my update for Tuesday just got zapped due to bad wifi signal- my connection timed out trying to re connect to the hotel wifi access point. Oh well, going to bed now, will try to recreate during Wednesday's update. Tuesday was juicy too. Chai, see MTN wahala.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by 14(m): 8:20am On Aug 19, 2015
Chikko:

Yea, that's what I heard, that there are larger Malls than Menlyn. I by no means expected it to be the largest, but in sheer size, it is still massive.

On thing they need to improve upon is directional signage. I was looking for a Mall directory to guide me to the stores I was looking for - cape union mart and a travel accessories store- and could not find one. I entered from the 3A parking garage entrance. I finally found an information desk, where the Lady there directed me to where I needed to go. The mall is still being expanded or at least there is some demolition and construction going on in another section of the mall property.

But there are maps inside the mall if you get lost, i still get lost even today. I would be struggling to get out. Its very embarrasing to be lost inside the mall. The good thing about that mall, they tried to categorise all the sections, there is a banking section, where all the banks are, there is a restuarant section, Cinema section, clothing shops section and food stores section.

The only thing i dont like about this mall, if you park your car in the parking for more than 1hour, you pay R8 per hour, so if you spend 5hrs in the mall, you will pay R40. very bad. its a lovely mall.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by 14(m): 8:22am On Aug 19, 2015
Chikko:
Crap, my update for Tuesday just got zapped due to bad wifi signal- my connection timed out trying to re connect to the hotel wifi access point. Oh well, going to bed now, will try to recreate during Wednesday's update. Tuesday was juicy too. Chai, see MTN wahala.

where is your office or company you working at? Pretoria CBD, Sunnyside or Hatfield.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by sumtinx: 9:01am On Aug 19, 2015
Chikko:
Ok folks, just boarded the aircraft and headed towards first stopover point, Amsterdam on KLM. The aircraft is an Airbus 330, quite comfortable aircraft with nice leg room in Coach. No wifi though. Would have been nice if they had wifi. This update is before taxi, once inflight, no more updates until Amsterdam. I saw something interesting at the checkin concourse, a Naija flag in the airport. Photo don't lie (except photoshopsmiley )
See you in Amsterdam

I am really crazy about IT world nd I have decided to start my career by learning about cisco networking nd I do really wanna b a pro in it I hv stated readn some books thou and I would really appreciate it if I can hook up wit u bro so u can put me through cos frm wat I can see u look like some wizard in dis job nd it would b a pleasure to learn frm u nd any other IT wizard tht is lookn for some1 to teach I would gladly love to b d persons boy........I dnt knw if u would love to leave ur contact details so I can at least reach.........here is ma pin:2B5A57D7 for anybody tht wnts to teach me hw dis tinz work,I am vry much rdy to learn....thanks all
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 12:58pm On Aug 22, 2015
My apoloogies folks, I could not update the rest of my week in SA due to Network issues and my work load, including the need to finish up and get ready to head out on Friday. So right now, I have already left SA, and arrived Atlanta Hartsfiel. Waiting on my connecting flight home. Next stop Nigeria. I thank God for a safe flight. It was a looong flight from SA to Atlanta - 16hrs direct flight.
So here goes the updates as I saved them. Picrures will come later, and oh, thank goodness for free airport Internet Access. For those with questions or comments, I will respond to them after the updates, and I apologize again for the delay.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 12:59pm On Aug 22, 2015
Tuesday: Tuesday was an interesting and almost nerve racking day in-country for this assignment. You might ask why/how, so here we go.
So the office was supposed to have moved prior to my arrival to work on the WAN circuit and connectivity from the new location back to the DataCenter. The move did not happen until I arrived. While on Site, I also discovered that the ISP – TelcomSA had not been provided an order to move the circuit. Apparently there was a miscommunication between the reseller; a smaller provider who wanted the client to sign on to a 2 year contract in order to move the circuit to a different location.
Of course at a possibly higher cost. Talk about gouging Anyway, I could not recommend that seeing as I was hoping and preferred the Service be contracted directly with TelcomSA. We figured out a way to have the circuit moved over with Telcom, anyway. Good to talk shop with fellow Engineers/Professionals and keep in touch. Cabling was another matter. During these cutovers, we travel in 2 man teams of a WAN engineer, and a LAN Engineer. I cover the WAN side of things and also an escalation (tier3 support) for the LAN engineer. It soon became apparent that all the pre-work and emails back on forth with the local support here did not fully provide an insight to what we are in for.
There was insufficient cabling in the new office space, so while I was working on configurations for the new equipment, which had not been moved over yet to the new site, my LAN engineer was fretting on the lack of appropriate cabling. There was Ntwrk cabling, but not one we could use. – So we ended up going out to buy a roll of Plenum cable (Cat5E yeah, I know) and a patch panel. Now, truth be told, I have not done Cable pulling, and punching down in a while, but we had to roll with the punches, and get things going in order to complete the task and head on to the next one.
By now it was getting late, and I had promised my folks in Naija I would call to check on them. So we decided to head back to the hotel, and continue the next day Wednesday.
Now my wahala with MTN, chai MTN!!. So I recharged my phone with about 6k – so I can talk to my folks, other folks in Naija regarding upcoming projects there, once I am done in SA. Before I knew it, the entire credit was almost gone. The tariff from SA to Naija is crazy, I would have thought that since my phone is a Naija MTN line, calling from SA to NG should not have been that expensive, but what do I know. MTN chop my money sha. I found it cheaper using my other non Naija phone. After touching base with my folks, I took a shower, went down for dinner and called it a night.
For the Network Folks reading this- There are some takeaways from Tuesday:
1. Be prepared to improvise on site to get the job done.
2. Be flexible in your cutover plans, and keep the client informed at all times especially if you run into Snafus that might affect the client’s expectations of your deliverables
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 12:59pm On Aug 22, 2015
Wednesday – We continued with cabling and punching down, tagging and marking the drops as well. It was good exercise for me though, given that my duties do not include those tasks. I did not mind doing it at all. The goal was to make sure the staff here were on the same standards as the ITD (Information Technology Dept) had approved for all remote Sites that connect back to the DataCenter/HQ. (By remote Site I mean – anything outside of HQ is a Remote Site for us. Except a HUB site that may have it’s own remote Sites. The Client’s WAN is HUGE) Sometimes I wonder how we – the Senior WAN Engineers are able to keep it all together. It’s some crazy hours, a lot of adrenaline, self-assuredness of our capabilities, and expertise, I guess. This job is not for the faint of heart, lol.
Finished cabling and now it was time to bring up the Point-Point connection and make sure it was stable before creating the Tunnels. I was mildly pleased to see the connection come up and establish across my equipment here and in the State. ICMP Pings across the pipe were good with nice round trip times. I let the connection burn in for 24hrs.
Now how do you get this connection up? This was a fiber handoff from the ISP, I always y like/enjoy working with Fiber Optics, because once you know your Optics – Fiber, microns, signal Attenuators(if you need it – you use this in Fiber Optic to correct/match the light signal Strength between the receiver and transmitter and establish a connection) you are golden. It’s also nice to make sure that your Gbic Optics matches from your remote end through the provider Network to your DataCenter. A lot of things can go wrong, but again, working with your provider and determine the technical details before hand helps. This was part of what we did on Monday with the ISP Engineer who took forever to show up for our morning apt. – AST - ? African Standard Time? Who knows lol. There were other technical details that go beyond the scope of this writing. Chilled out with the country team later in the evening after I brought up the connection and checked the equipment. It was also nice to know that the equipment – you guys may have seen the earlier pics of the Cat4510R+E, was housed in a temperature controlled Enclosure, so no overheating. 2 of those are running in redundancy mode. It is nice that Cisco actually came out with being able to run these guys as VSS – (Virtual Switching System) so you don’t have to spend all that money for a Cat6509VE to run VSS. Another great thing about these Catalyst Switches is that they come with Wireless LAN Controllers for the new C3700 Access Points. No need to buy separate Wireless Controllers. Depending on your Software licensing, - Sorry I can’t talk too much about my Client’s Licensing features – but it is awesome- you can do sooo muuuch

1 Like

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 1:09pm On Aug 22, 2015
Thursday –
Got to the office bright and early. Worked on the connection some more. I made sure the connection did not pull any errors I could not account for. I needed it to run clean and clear for at least 24 hrs. In times like this, that parameter can be a luxury, but I try to stay as close to the standards as possible when working on the remote sites overseas. Reason being, no two countries are the same and each one has it’s challenges. Once you stand up the Site, you want to make sure it is properly stood up. I proceeded to build the Tunnels and configs for IPSec traffic. It was interesting watching the encrypting and decrypting of the various packet headers in the traffic payload. I have to check on those things to make sure the connection is secure for transmission of sensitive data and that any attempt to breach it will cause the Tunnel to flap or drop, at least that is the idea – you can use an access list to accomplish this or just set it to only log the action and use your Intrusion Prevention and Identification Systems to further analyse the attempted breach. My Client's Network gets probed now again by unknwown entities, and we are able to monitor, indentify and mitigate the threat. - This part, I am quite familiar with, but not able to comment on for obvious security reasons. I also enjoy this part of the Job - working with the Security team.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2015
Friday – Last day In-Country (SA)
and heading back to the States to prepare for my upcoming Nigeria Deployment. I am looking forward to finally returning to Nigeria. I have been out on assignment since April. I will continue to update this thread with my other work in Datacenter/Cisco Networking that I am involved in. I will also write about the Nigeria Project and hopefully get to meet some of you folks.

So I got picked up from the Hotel for a few hours in the office. Thankfully. I had packed my bags the night before. After doublechecking my work and making sure I was comfortable with the deployment, I started head out to the Airport. Just before I left the office, one of my South African colleagues advised, no, insisted that I make sure my check-in luggage was wrapped. I asked why, and he said there have been instances where bags had been broken into, and they did not want me to have that experience, lol.

The driver, picked me up from the new office location in Arcadia, - and we made a stop back at the Menlyn Mall to get some locks. I got some locks at Game Store, this Game Store appears larger than the one ones in Lagos, maybe I am wrong, I did not stay there long enough to measure it, lol.
On stepping out I saw a stall selling Biltong - South African variety dried meat, more like bear meat. I got some and tried it, gosh the one I tried was spicy, but as a Naija man used to Pepper Soup, no wahala.
PICs - Biltong stand: The Stall Sales Ladies nice and allowed me to take their pictures. I dvised that I was writing about my travel experince might post the picture online. They were fine with it.

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 1:54pm On Aug 22, 2015
Continuing, we rode down R21, which is the Highway to the Airport. Once at the airport, I wrapped my luggage and proceeded to the Delta check-in counter. Once there, I tried to change my Seat assignment from a middle Seat to an Aisle Seat, but no luck. The flight was full. From there I proceeded to Passport control. Aftter passing thru Security and standing in line for Passport check and final departure to teh boarding gates, I saw a Lady who appeared distraught about something. She complained to her friend next in line behind her, that Passport Control Check-out Computers were frozen.

Wow, this sent a near panic thru those in line who heard it. All we could think about was, Oh crap, we are about to miss our flights. To their credit, the Systems were restored within 5 minutes. Those were some long 5 minutes. Headed to my gate after passport check and boarded my flight. The Equipment was a Boeing 777-200LR again, like the KLM flight I had arrived with earlier in the week. Flight was long, but nice. We experinced occasional bumpy air, but all in all good flight. It must take a special Cabin Crew to man such a long haul 16hrs flight. I told them so, but then again, they are professionals. I remember when I was boarding, I am always pleasent to the cabin crew, one of them asked if I was ready for the long flight. I laughed and told her, it was a piece of cake compared to some of my flights for assignments in China, the Phillipines, and Indonesia. Chai, it will be good to finally spend more time soon, in Naija Sha, lol
Arrived in Atlanta at 5.30am local time, and waiting for my connecting flight to the East Coast United States.

1 Like

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 2:17pm On Aug 22, 2015
14:

where is your office or company you working at? Pretoria CBD, Sunnyside or Hatfield.

Our Old offices were in Hatfield. They moved to Arcadia, and that was where I did most of my work. Much more livelier local than the Menlyn Park area, at least thru my recent visitor eyes.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 2:21pm On Aug 22, 2015
sumtinx:

@Sumtix
I am glad to hear about your interest in IT. This write up is not meant as an Ad for my interest in One of the Best Equipped Cisco Training Centers Lagos, located in Lekki Phase 1, However for those interested to learn more, please send me a PM. thnx.
Chikko

----------------------------------------------
I am really crazy about IT world nd I have decided to start my career by learning about cisco networking nd I do really wanna b a pro in it I hv stated readn some books thou and I would really appreciate it if I can hook up wit u bro so u can put me through cos frm wat I can see u look like some wizard in dis job nd it would b a pleasure to learn frm u nd any other IT wizard tht is lookn for some1 to teach I would gladly love to b d persons boy........I dnt knw if u would love to leave ur contact details so I can at least reach.........here is ma pin:2B5A57D7 for anybody tht wnts to teach me hw dis tinz work,I am vry much rdy to learn....thanks all
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by 14(m): 12:37am On Aug 23, 2015
Chikko:

Our Old offices were in Hatfield. They moved to Arcadia, and that was where I did most of my work. Much more livelier local than the Menlyn Park area, at least thru my recent visitor eyes.

ooohh, they just moved across the road. Hatfield and Arcadia are just next to each other. So you never went to see johannesburg.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 7:40am On Aug 23, 2015
14:

ooohh, they just moved across the road. Hatfield and Arcadia are just next to each other. So you never went to see johannesburg.

No opportunity for sight seeing due to the time constraints, pressures to get the work done in such a short period of time. My SA colleagues were sympathetic and promised they would spring for a trip to Cape Town on my next trip. With their connections, and these guys are connected, scary, they can get me a nice room rate at the Table Mountain Hotel ( is that the name ) fantastic amenities.

My team member on this trip couldn't stop talking about his stay there. Can I ask what you'd in SA.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 23, 2015
akinsabur:
Hello,
Really nice posts. I just finished my master degree in business administration in one of the universities in Europe. I gt fascinated by this IT world and really looking forward to pursuing a professional career in IT/Networking. I just finished the second certification track in networking by Cisco CCNP and really need to enter the practical world. I have tried few places here to get a work placement to get the practical experience but not too lucky. So I would'nt mind if few guidance are provided here on where to start from here. I,m thinking of relocating to any country that can afford me the opportunity to get a place to start and pursue my career in networking.

Did you really pass yr cnnp?...which means you must have done ccna,if so then congrats.

I failed my ccna 604 3yrs ago and never went back to it,you guys are resurrecting the interest for networking in me.Man with yr ccnp in the state,I guarantee you'll be rolling in dollars.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by sumtinx: 7:04pm On Aug 23, 2015
[quote author=Chikko post=37220452][/quote]

I just emailed you chiko nd I hope I get to hear from you soon and learn from you also........thnkz
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 11:25pm On Aug 23, 2015
sumtinx:

I just emailed you chiko nd I hope I get to hear from you soon and learn from you also........thnkz

Thanks for reading my posts, even with some of the auto correct typo's , lol. I am responding to PMs as quickly as possible. I just got back and trying to catch up on some rest and then start preparing for my Nigeria deployment, which is an ICT hub implementation in Lekki, phase-1. For those interested in Cisco Networking in a well equipped Cisco environment, this is the place to learn it.

Sorry, can't say more here as I am not trying to advertise here. Send a PM if you're interested. Thnx.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 11:38pm On Aug 23, 2015
sumtinx:

I have responded to ur email, thnx
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by 14(m): 12:28am On Aug 24, 2015
Chikko:

No opportunity for site seeing due to the time constraints, pressures to get the work done in such a short period of time. My SA colleagues were sympathetic and promised they would spring for a trip to Cape Town on my next trip. With their connections, and these guys are connected, scary, they can get me a nice room rate at the Table Mountain Hotel ( is that the name ) fantastic amenities.

My team member on this trip couldn't stop talking about his stay there. Can I ask what you'd in SA.

Are you asking what i do in SA? I am an Engineer. Pretoria is my home town, born and bred. I stay in Centurion, southern side of pretoria towards Joburg.

what was your team member saying about his stay? Its just a pity you did not get to experience the whole city due to work load. But pretoria is a nice city, very welcoming and people are nice there compare to joburg, where everyone is uptight and mind their own business. The distance between those 2 Cities is just 60km, but the differences are so much.

1 Like

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 7:36am On Aug 24, 2015
14:

Are you asking what i do in SA? I am an Engineer. Pretoria is my home town, born and bred. I stay in Centurion, southern side of pretoria towards Joburg.

what was your team member saying about his stay? Its just a pity you did not get to experience the whole city due to work load. But pretoria is a nice city, very welcoming and people are nice there compare to joburg, where everyone is uptight and mind their own business. The distance between those 2 Cities is just 60km, but the differences are so much.

Yes, I was curious to know what you did in SA, my syntax at the end became a victim of the autocorrect bot. Pretoria, appears to be a laid back pretty nice city. My team mate loved his stay at the Hotel in Cape Town and the city itself. Sounded more like my kind of place due to it's Cosmo and more vibrant lifestyle without the other craziness like muggings and constantly watching over your shoulder attitude.

That was a pre-deployment site survey visit, and we ended up deploying the Country Site in Pretoria, instead. Food prices are quite reasonable in Pretoria for a visitor, not sure what the locals think though. Outside of that, prices of other items appear in line with generally accepted values for those items in other Countries I have visited.

I would have loved to visit Jburg and especially Soweto. Growing up, I have always wanted to see the place that started the fire that accelerated the change in South Africa. And where the youth sacrificed so much. I have always admired their courage and sacrifice. Unfortunately things change and not neccessarily for the best always.

I must confess I was a little apprehensive going on this trip as I had the images of the recent attacks on foreigners at the back of my mind. but security typically is well arranged for us in any local considered a 'hot spot' Egypt comes to mind, lol. that trip I cannot write about on this forum.

Oh, couple of things though, I could not wrap around my head was the driving position on the road. That was amazing trying to figure not to be on the wrong side of the road. I was not driving, but could not help each time I looked, lol. Second, I still missed not trying the local cuisine from areas the the locals eat at. I know why this happened, time constraints, but next time I will endeavor to make it happen. I did try the Maize porridge, though inadvertently.

During dinner on Thursday, I had seen what looked like mashed potato in a chaffing dish in the Buffet line. I asked one of the kitchen staff if that was mashed potatoes, and he said, yes. So there I was dishing away at what I thought was mashed potatoes, but the consistency felt all wrong. Digging into it, to place on my dish, it felt slightly harder than mashed potato which has a softer consistency. Nonetheless, I proceeded to my table to dig in. On tasting it, it sure did not taste like mashed potatoes at all. I followed up with a nearby wait staff, who advised that it was a maize porridge.

Apparently that meal holds a great significance in the multicultural South African society, because different religions and cultures prepared it differently. Some prepared it with a thicker consistency and yet others would prepare it with a softer consistency. Everybody eats it though, as I understand.

1 Like

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by sumtinx: 9:12am On Aug 24, 2015
Chikko:

Thanks for reading my posts, even with some of the auto correct typo's , lol. I am responding to PMs as quickly as possible. I just got back and trying to catch up on some rest and then start preparing for my Nigeria deployment, which is an ICT hub implementation in Lekki, phase-1. For those interested in Cisco Networking in a well equipped Cisco environment, this is the place to learn it.

Sorry, can't say more here as I am not trying to advertise here. Send a PM if you're interested. Thnx.

I hv droppd u another mail nd thnkz for d quick response to d first mail
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 9:17pm On Aug 24, 2015
Responded, thanks.
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by 14(m): 1:13am On Aug 25, 2015
Chikko:

Yes, I was curious to know what you did in SA, my syntax at the end became a victim of the autocorrect bot. Pretoria, appears to be a laid back pretty nice city. My team mate loved his stay at the Hotel in Cape Town and the city itself. Sounded more like my kind of place due to it's Cosmo and more vibrant lifestyle without the other craziness like muggings and constantly watching over your shoulder attitude.

That was a pre-deployment site survey visit, and we ended up deploying the Country Site in Pretoria, instead. Food prices are quite reasonable in Pretoria for a visitor, not sure what the locals think though. Outside of that, prices of other items appear in line with generally accepted values for those items in other Countries I have visited.

I would have loved to visit Jburg and especially Soweto. Growing up, I have always wanted to see the place that started the fire that accelerated the change in South Africa. And where the youth sacrificed so much. I have always admired their courage and sacrifice. Unfortunately things change and not neccessarily for the best always.

I must confess I was a little apprehensive going on this trip as I had the images of the recent attacks on foreigners at the back of my mind. but security typically is well arranged for us in any local considered a 'hot spot' Egypt comes to mind, lol. that trip I cannot write about on this forum.

Oh, couple of things though, I could not wrap around my head was the driving position on the road. That was amazing trying to figure not to be on the wrong side of the road. I was not driving, but could not help each time I looked, lol. Second, I still missed not trying the local cuisine from areas the the locals eat at. I know why this happened, time constraints, but next time I will endeavor to make it happen. I did try the Maize porridge, though inadvertently.

During dinner on Thursday, I had seen what looked like mashed potato in a chaffing dish in the Buffet line. I asked one of the kitchen staff if that was mashed potatoes, and he said, yes. So there I was dishing away at what I thought was mashed potatoes, but the consistency felt all wrong. Digging into it, to place on my dish, it felt slightly harder than mashed potato which has a softer consistency. Nonetheless, I proceeded to my table to dig in. On tasting it, it sure did not taste like mashed potatoes at all. I followed up with a nearby wait staff, who advised that it was a maize porridge.

Apparently that meal holds a great significance in the multicultural South African society, because different religions and cultures prepared it differently. Some prepared it with a thicker consistency and yet others would prepare it with a softer consistency. Everybody eats it though, as I understand.

Food is cheap here, you will never go hungry.
staple food indeed is porridge, but majority of people have moved to upper middle class, so they dont eat pap as we call it every day, maybe once a week. Rice, pasta, stamper, have gained popularity. And there is a boom in take away or fast food outlets. Pizza is also the in thing, there is pizza shop in almost every corner. The competition is so fierce that we even labelled it as a pizza war. But those who are still living under the bread line, still consider porridge and meat as their staple food.

Cape town is a fine city, but you need to have money to go and enjoy it. Its not a place you would go and hustle, its a tourist city.

The horrible xenophobia incident that took place some months ago was just unfortunate and embarrasment to the nation. Fortunatle Pretoria never experienced such incident. it happened in durban and some parts of joburg. It was just some frustrated locals who felt left behind and took their frustrations to foreigners. You were in a safe city, pretoria has never had xenophobia incident.

1 Like

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 9:53am On Oct 12, 2015
Folks,
I am in Nigeria now as part of the ongoing deployment that was recently completed in SA. Nigeria is the next Country stop, to be followed by Senegal, and Egypt when I return Stateside. Nigeria has been fun so far, with a lot of challenges and cultural differences from the perspective of my team members. I will elaborate in additional posts. The food is great, I have eaten both on the Island and the mainland. The traffic situation is Scaaaryyy. I also traveled to the Eastern part of this vast great country for meetings on upcoming projects.

I expect to be heading to Abuja this week for a quick design and pre-deployment meeting with a client's executive team.
As usual, suggections on where to eat great local dishes on or near VI, Lekki Ph1 and Sure-lere areas are welcome. For those folks in Abuja, your help is also solicitated with regrads to areas for great local dishes.
For those just reading this post, please refer to my intro post while on the SA project. My interest here is to write about my In-Country experiences while on this deployment, and not to divulge details of my technical expert level work. That would violate my confidentiality aggreements with my clients.

However, I am open to meeting or speaking with indivuduals in our field or interested in our field about potential opportuninties to do some work together. Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 16, 2015
pls kindly send me email to ayokunmi12@yahoo.ca to talk. i will appreciate it so much.tanks mr chikko
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by ptoall1000: 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2015
There are many places in Abuja for that. Places like Jevinik, Wuse 2, Biobak in Area 11 etc are good places for local dishes. It depends on where you are staying. I will glad to catch up wt you as I'm also managing a similar data center like your deployment in SA though mine is smaller.
Also I will like to have a better understanding on the configuration of those core switch. Are you CCIE or CCNP? is it really compulsory to have those certifications. What if I just gather the skills?
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by ohans4u(m): 9:59am On Oct 18, 2015
Chikko:
Responded, thanks.
Sir thank you..I love this thread so encouraging... I wish I can acquire this talent. i studied Public admin but later had passion for IT so i enrolled for ccna internship but hv never taken the certification exam.
pls sir, which of this areas of IT are in high demand ranging from Routing n switching, design, service provider and security. All I need from you sir is to encourage me. PM sent.
Thanks
Re: [Photo]Cisco Snr. Ntwrk & Datacnter Engr. On Trip To S.africa For Netwrk Dplymnt by Chikko: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2019
This thread got old and was not updated over the years as I got more involved with additional responsibilities and deployment travels. my apologies. This Trip is about a deployment in Manila, Philippines. I may need to update the Title. bear with me please.
Since my last trip to SA, years ago, I have directed deployment of unified computing systems across various geographical regions for various clients represented by my consulting firm. My last deployment in Nigeria, early this year, but unfortunately I could not write much about it. The trip was quite challenging due to infrastructural limitations, such as power, bandwidth/committed information rates/costs, traffic issues to get to meetings on schedule. Nigeria was fun, nonetheless.

As noted in the original intro, I will discuss general Networking technologies I'm involved in without specifics to my current project to confidentiality agreements. I am currently in the Philippines on a similar project.

Food: If there are any NL readers in the Manila Metro area, please msg me on the good places to get some Nigerian dishes if any. I will write and discuss my trip/visit as it pertains to visiting the Philippines for other intending travelers.

Getting here: I departed from the Eastern US, and transited via Tokyo, japan and then onto manila. The trip was uneventful for the most part,
we did come across some rough air across the south China sea about 2hrs into the 4hr flight. The turbulence lasted about 15 minutes, but of course, it felt like it lasted longer. That part of the route is typically choppy due to the cross winds. I was picked up at the Manila airport by a car arranged by the client. Check in at the Hotel was pretty smooth and cool.

Note of Advice to those Network Engineers and those pursuing that career path. Do not relent, but please add Cloud computing to your repertoire. That is the evolution in the industry now. Everything is geared towards the 'Cloud' for now, specifically AWS, Azzure, and Goggle Cloud. There are other smaller players as well. This current trip involves a lot of AWS integration to a global WAN.

I will update more, got to get some sleep now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Go About Medical Appointment With Iom For Canada Student Visa / Adorable Photos Of Airplane Shape Restaurant In Turkey. / Have You ever been Humiliated by Immigration/P.O.E because of Your 9ja Passport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.