Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times (2347 Views)

PDP Announces ‘amnesty’ For Sheriff, Cairo, Others / Understanding Buhari In 365 Days: Chronicles Of His Achievements- Breaking Times / BREAKING NEWS: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram (DETAILS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 06, 2015
By Kayode Sesan, Kingsley Kanayo

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved amnesty for the Boko Haram terrorist group, a top presidential source who spoke to BREAKING TIMES on condition of anonymity disclosed on Thursday.

According to the source, President Buhari has concluded plans on the amnesty grant for Boko Haram and the official announcement is expected shortly after discussions between government negotiators and Boko Haram terrorists have reached a fairly advanced stage.

“I can authoritatively tell you that the issue has gone beyond a plan, President Buhari has concluded on the issue, granted approvals and it will be announced soon”, the source said.

Contrary to earlier reports, which suggested that the Nigerian government is open to negotiations with Boko Haram alongside considerations of amnesty in a deal expected to put an end to the mass killings of innocent Nigerian citizens by the dreaded terrorist group, our source hinted that the idea of amnesty is not one Boko Haram has accepted. “President Buhari is actually acting proactively by offering amnesty to them in the hope of sealing a ceasefire deal with the terrorists. From all indications, Boko Haram has not agreed to lay down their arms for amnesty. But this new offer by President Buhari is expected to soften the terms of negotiation with them”, the source disclosed.

Recently, President Muhammadu Buhari declared that he is ready to negotiate with the dreaded Boko Haram terrorists, according to his spokesperson, Femi Adesina. Adesina disclosed this in an interview with BBC Africa. He said if Boko Haram members are willing, the president will negotiate with them.

However, this seems to be against the earlier stance of Buhari who during his campaign, promised not to negotiate with the insurgents if elected as president.

“Boko Haram is not interested in peace – if they are interested in peace, how can they kill 13,000 Nigerians?” the former military ruler told BBC News in February.

As news of presidential amnesty for Boko Haram filters from the Presidential villa, it is not immediately clear why President Buhari has adopted the carrot approach to dealing with the Boko Haram menace. “There must be a strategy behind it that we may not know about. You know the President is a retired military general and just returned from a trip to the US where he had discussions with President Obama on this Boko Haram issue. We can only watch events unfold within the next few days”, a security source told BREAKING TIMES.

The idea of amnesty for Boko Haram is however not one new to Muhammadu Buhari. In 2013 as leader of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Buhari backed amnesty for Boko Haram. According to him; “Yes, it is good they have set up a committee and I haven’t seen the terms of reference, but it is the right thing to do. This is not the first time amnesty will be given to … eh.. what shall I call them, a violent group; remember what happened with Alhaji Musa Yar’Adua and the militants. So, this is not the first time. Whatever that will bring peace to the society, we should do it.”

In a similar development, in 2013, the United States of America supported the call for amnesty for Boko Haram.

The Political Counsellor at the Embassy of the USA, Gregory Lawless, said in Abuja that the American government would support amnesty for Boko Haram if it was the solution to ending violence in the north and other parts of the country.

“We think it is a positive development. We will work with Nigerian government as it develops its own policy approach as to counter violent extremism,” Lawless said in a response to a question about the US position on the amnesty the Nigerian government was planning to grant the Islamic sect at a teleconference on US-Nigerian Bi-national Commission.

He added, “Security concerns in Nigeria would be addressed through our regional security cooperation working group as part of the Bi-National Commission.

“We are looking at a holistic approach to address the unmet grievances of the population, especially in the north.

“Through that mechanism, we think by broadening the scope of response to violent extremism, we believe that we will be addressing some of those issues in a more fundamental way.”

Boko Haram killed more than 13,000 civilians between 2009 and 2015, including around 10,000 in 2014, in attacks occurring mainly in northeast Nigeria. Upwards of 1.5 million people have been displaced in the streaks of their wanton bloodshed and violence.

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/buhari-approves-amnesty-for-boko-haram/

http://ginjaland.com
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Hawlahscho(m): 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
Let's just wait and see what's gonna happen.

God will surely lead my vibrant PMB to the right path in order to bring peace back to Nigeria especially d north.

The "peace" I mean is not "Daris Godu oooo" grin
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by ladyF(f): 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
Hell NO!

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by enkay2go(f): 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
I hope its not true. Does buhari want to start a war?

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by eunisam: 3:07pm On Aug 06, 2015
This una President self.

E no concern me shaaaaaa.

Na them boiz
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by temitemi1(m): 3:08pm On Aug 06, 2015
Not surprised cheesy grin
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
Breaking times ko happening times ni.. Lol He needs senate approval for such an action.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by dunkem21(m): 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
grin
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by SexyNairalander: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
why amnesty.......whats wrong with killing them?
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by PassingShot(m): 3:11pm On Aug 06, 2015
Breaking Times indeed!

The same breaking times that reported PMB's assets to be worth N900million and later claimed he owns a house worth over N2bn in Abuja!

Who takes this useless blog serious?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 06, 2015
For me, a ga m aga n'ime Jehovah, ga kuo paaa!!
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Ngokafor(f): 3:13pm On Aug 06, 2015
..Am i surprised?..a big No because their supreme leader is the president of this country,pathetic and disgraceful apc angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 06, 2015
How convenient, its just breaking times that is reporting this, rumours sell lol. F00ls will believe

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by DuchessLily(f): 3:14pm On Aug 06, 2015
It has 'setted' cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by fred19(m): 3:15pm On Aug 06, 2015
ok
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by pyyxxaro: 3:15pm On Aug 06, 2015
The next person has something healthier to say

Over to you Oga tongue

Just passing cool
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 06, 2015
DuchessLily:

Duchess Nwaanyi Mara Mma, ka m kissie gi oo.
Mwwaah kiss

Nwa OMA. Ewooh!
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by jamesharryson(m): 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2015
I told you people we are in trouble yet some people doubt me.
Why are they angry? Did we pollute their water? Did we take their natural resources? Did nigeria pursue them from their land? Pls somebody should wake me up after all these nightmares are over
STORY FOR THE GODS
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by feedburna: 3:18pm On Aug 06, 2015
welcome to the abominable zoological republic, a damnation instituted by devil incarnate lord lugard mistress under the influence of sex n alcohol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 06, 2015
PassingShot:
Breaking Times indeed!

The same breaking times that reported PMB's assets to be worth N900million and later claimed he owns a house worth over N2bn in Abuja!

And i won't bbe surprised if this 'yeye' thing reaches fp

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by ice25(f): 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
it better not be true

After gingering neighbouring countries to help in the fight , he then turns back to give them amnesty. was that how he planned on 'CRUSHING' them.

Naija, we hail thee
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Vyolet(f): 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
Until it is reported on Channeltv or NTA,this is crap.
I hardly take any news on NL serious though until I confirm it on TV.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by feedburna: 3:22pm On Aug 06, 2015
DuchessLily:
oya baby make we collabo, collabo: I know u want d collabo, collabo; I go sing for u: I go dance for u grin
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2015
The terrorist has negotiated with his brothers.

He does not wanna hurt them. He even publicly stated long ago that attack on Boko Haram is attack on the North. grin

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Addme: 3:26pm On Aug 06, 2015
PassingShot:
Breaking Times indeed!

Are you surprised?Breakingtimes is owned by Godwin Ohimai Amaize.You should expect more junks from them.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by shaddoww: 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2015
This breakingtimes has been trying so hard to b like SaharaReporters but dey don't know shit, amnesty ko amnesia ni

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by SLIDEwaxie(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2015
Do not rejoice or wail just yet, by tomorrow, u go hear another news.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Bibidear(f): 3:36pm On Aug 06, 2015
Lies
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by wisdomguy4u(m): 3:39pm On Aug 06, 2015
1.First we heard
Buhari willing to negotiate with Boko Haram — Presidency

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/audio-buhari-willing-to-negotiate-with-boko-haram-presidency/

2. Then we heard Presidency, Boko Haram
reportedly begin negotiation talks.

https://dailypost.ng/2015/07/27/presidency-boko-haram-reportedly-begin-negotiation-talks/

3. Now we heard President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times

What will happen to the innocent lives destroyed by those boko beast? Maybe after Amnesty, shakur will join politics .
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Tightguy(m): 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2015
A part of me sees this as an evil decision by the FG . How can you grant y amnesty to a group of misinformed extremists who have succeeded in wasting thousands of innocent lives for no just cause ?
Another part of me welcomes the move , albeit cautiously . After all what we all want is the return of peace and harmony , irrespective of the means by which it is achieved .
However my final reaction would be based on the full details of the so-called amnesty.
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by ERODEDEAST(f): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2015
What? ok make we wait till evening
Re: President Buhari Approves Amnesty For Boko Haram - Breaking Times by Enahi(f): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Television Begins Broascast On STRONG Decoder- Pics / Alamieyeseigha Lying In State: For The Doubting Thomases, Pictures Don't Lie. / “there Will Be No Nigeria!” Northern Senators Warn Governors, Others On Threats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.