Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,909 members, 7,817,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market (39430 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? / Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by controlG(m): 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

There is hope for everybody in the market.. Its not by grade but by grace; The dullest(Nobody drags Last position with him) boy in my class in Secondary school now works with Nigerian Customs Service, while the most intelligent is still jobless. In the University where I graduated from, in 2011 3 peeps made a first class in a particular department, they were not retained. Their coursemate that made a 2:1 is now lecturing there. It's by grace and who is pushing your file.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by no2fuks(m): 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
tobybasten:

WTF! Were you running while typing this?
no why
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 07, 2015
lololololololololololololo...kilocalorie.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by engrshakespeare: 1:31pm On Aug 07, 2015
metrosexual:
[b]Below are words of a successful 2:2 graduate;

"First and foremost I'd like to unequivocally state that a 2:1 gives you an edge over the 2:2 graduates especially for shortlisting
purposes. Most graduate trainee programs have a minimum of 2:1 as their requirement.

Now to 2:2 graduates, I'd advise folks in this
category to add a proven competency other than your 2:2 grade to make you shine in the eyes of an employer. I'd use myself as an example, I polished my writing skills, my diction and communication skills.

Weeks before finishing NYSC, I wrote a
proposal to a top multinational firm, attached my CV and a cover letter, I got an invite for an interview, just minutes into the interview the HR manager said... "I love your diction!" ...Your proposal was an excellent idea, I just wanted to hear you talk."

And as you guessed right, I got the job! Mind you, I graduated with a 2:2 and my start up salary was close to six digits.

Apart from your 2:1 or 2:2, every employer respects "IDEAS" over a certificate. I have a very good job today because I sold an idea to my employer.

Another option for 2:2 graduates is to add
professional certifications to your certificate to give your CV some shine, go for Internationally recognised certifications in your profession, the likes of CISA, CISCO, NEBOSH, Prince 2, etc.

If that's far reached you can go for certification from Nigerian Institutes, the likes of Institute of Chattered Accountants of Nigeria, Nigerian institute of Management, Chattered institute of Personnel Management and others. And mind you, you must not read Accounting in University to get an ICAN certification. I had a friend who read Statistics and in final year he registered for ICAN, before finishing NYSC he got his ICAN certification and works in a multinational corporation now, and mind you, he graduated with a 2:2.

I bet you that a 2:2 with CISA or ORACLE 11g would beat a 2:1 graduate to a job.

A 2:2 graduate with ICAN before hitting age 27 would give you a job almost anyplace you apply.

A 2:1 just gives you a better chance over the 2:2 graduates for the case of Graduate Trainee programs, but how many jobs do Graduate Trainee Programs offer? VERY FEW!"

My last words to everyone is this ... Hustle hard!! If you made 2:1 make sure it works for you, if you got a 2:2 acquire extra skills and competences to convince an employer that you are competent enough. All the best everyone!!![/b]

All this epistle depends on d job. Personally I have misplaced my cv for some years now and I have three jobs to chose from all of them with a salary of 6 digits. I have advocated chinese language learning for long on this forum but people have turned a deaf ear mostly because they are lazy and love to look down on d chinese. I challenge any one to tell me any language u will learn dt can fetch u 100k without a degree.

If u can speak fluent chinese nd reside in lagos or ogun state contact me nd i will give u a job.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by tobybasten(m): 1:33pm On Aug 07, 2015
no2fuks:

no why
lipsrsealed undecided. Can you review coz.... lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Ohiomoba5: 1:37pm On Aug 07, 2015
I think diz issue iz getting out of hand. There are many things going on in the educational system in Nigeria especially university which i believe iz d most crucial level in an individual's life.i noticed this problem starts from the lecturers.dey will tell u no matter how brilliant u are u cannot pass thier course which has really affected many students and graduates, lecturers of nowadays don't motivate students they discourge just because they don’t want the standard and record of present generation to beat thiers leaving students with no option dan to block their course.few weeks ago we heard of a student that graduated with a gp of 5.0 in Europe but not in Nigeria inshort in my school there are some department dat don't award 1st class.certificates nowadays 2 me is not and shouldnt be the criteria for job opportunity but what you have upstairs.i urge we youth of 2day, to stand and fight for dis issue we r d future leaders of 2mao. Thanks!!
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Adaeze003(f): 1:40pm On Aug 07, 2015
You can try entrepreneurship... build your niche and employ people instead of looking for a job.

It's not easy tho, if you don't have the drive and vision don't bother.

That apart, try to get your masters degree if you can afford it.

Apply for jobs sha but don't while away your time as you wait, learn a skill or something.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by no2fuks(m): 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
tobybasten:
lipsrsealed undecided. Can you review coz.... lipsrsealed
what are you trying to say? communication skills 0
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Mekzmoney(m): 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
My guy/coursmate had pass 4rm school.... Fed poly and he's working oil and gas as a graduate trainee, wen I hav lower credit (equivalent to 2:2) and m still struggling to get a job......

Its nt abt wat u study or d grade u made, bt d grace of God wich wud giv u d right connection and also acquiring a lil experience.......

U might nt be opportuned to acquire more professional certificates because of lack of cash but wit a litle experience u can out shine others.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by tobybasten(m): 1:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
no2fuks:

what are you trying to say?
communication skills 0
Mumu, ode. It is "believe" and what you wrote doesn't even make any sense. I'm sure you will be blasting someone with pass grade. To construct just a simple statement.... ...
Infact, take your time
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by bigerboy200: 1:49pm On Aug 07, 2015
IF SOMEONE WITH 2:2 is screwed,WHAT OF SOMEONE WITH HND LOWER CREDIT? THE PEOPLE WHO ARE QUICK TO SAY ''START BUSINESS''...PLEASE I WANNA KNOW,IS STARTING A BUSINESS AS EASY AS SHITTING?

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Tex42(m): 1:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
Youngzedd:
You're paid for what you can do, not what you know.
Hmmm, inspiring!

Bros make I borrow this ur line abeg.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Querty(m): 1:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
Na God sure pass oo

I graduated with second class upper with cgpa 4.32

I never get job, any way I still d serve my Father land sha..
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by no2fuks(m): 1:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
tobybasten:

Mumu, ode. It is "believe" and what you wrote doesn't even make any sense. I'm sure you will be blasting someone with pass grade. To construct just a simple statement.... ...
Infact, take your time

oh "BELIEVE" that is what you've been trying to say. lol thanks sha
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by MyMentor: 1:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
Certificate (not d grade) is all dat matters if u hv Abraham as father.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by samokoduwa(m): 2:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

The hope is bright. Just put God in whatever you do. I have a friend that came out with a third class and he is working in PPMC, so anything is very possible with God.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by samsongbemisola(m): 2:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
In Nigeria it is not what you know but who u know
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Lasese: 2:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
Look at question that u asking us.... cheesy Na was o. In this Nigeria u asking such question, u for started from the Head to toes and tell me all those that called Senate and ministers whom among them that came out with 2.1 talk less lst class.

I don't want to go to banking issues....
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Youngzedd(m): 2:21pm On Aug 07, 2015
bobolizim:
and Wat u can do is not Wat u know?say Wat u no...nd don't type rubbish here:.

grin grin grin

Are you a product of the failed educational system
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by STEVENcrack(m): 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:

Opinions please..

It is easier for an elephant to pass tru d eye of a needle than for them to get job except they connectively connected(wifi).

Way forward they sud just go and learn a trade, or go intO teaching, tie and die, soap making ETC
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by steve002(m): 2:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
in my 4th year now but my GP is in between 2.2 and 2.1. My final year performance will determine .... so help me God!
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by steve002(m): 2:29pm On Aug 07, 2015
In my 4th year now, but my GP is in between 2.2 and 2.1. My final year performance will determine .... HELP me LORD!
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Mekky05(m): 2:30pm On Aug 07, 2015
Icon4s:
Op to tell you tthe truth. With a 2:2 u are screwed up bt nt completely.
The Nigerian system has it that after school u go looking for job. The easiest way to stand out of d crowd of millions of fresh graduates is to make atleast a 2:1 bc this puts u at d higher 10% percentile and increases ur chance of being shortlisted for aptitude tests.

Ur 2:2 puts u in d popular basket where most graduates fall into making u having to compete with almost every graduate for d few available position.In this case ur chance of getting that job becomes slimmer.

Peeps have come here shouting it doesnt matter," what u need is connection", "Grace of God", "Go for ur masters", "become self employed", "go for certifications"," what employers look at is skills & nt result". Yes it works for some. But note it that:

-Not everybody has d necessary connections. Some pple bc their uncle is a gate man in a company feel they have connection.

-God rewards hard work with excellence. U didnt play ur part as a student and at d end of d day expect God to come and work wonders. Miracles are nt common that is y they are called miracles.

-U are adviced by some to go for masters.Note that in most cases what will still give u dat job is ur first degree. Masters changes little or nothing. U are still goinf back for more theories with little or no industry experience. If u graduate at 21 or 22yrs better for u. But when u graduate at 26-28yrs and then go for master by d time u are out u are already over 30yrs and that further compound ur woes bc most companies put a maximum age of 24-27.

-Some say become self employed. Note dat it is nt everybody that has d entrepreneural skills.If u study a course dat u can use to practise better for u. Eg: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, mayb Law. Bt for some causes d Nigerian situation cannot allow u practise except u seek employment.

-Some say get certifications.If u like get 100 certifications, the first thing employers use to select candidates for fresh graduate position is 1st degree.

-Some say companies focus more on skills or what u can do. This can only apply for experienced positions. What employers need for graduate trainee applicants is that paper degree ceritificate.

The advice i can give to a graduate with 2:2 depends on:
-The person's age
-The course studied
-Location of residence among others.

However, remember i said a person with 2:2 is screwed up bt nt completely. I am implying dat it is bad bt u can still help ur self. Jst dat u have to work extra hard and in most cases nt likely to get a job as quickly as 1:1 & 2:1 graduates.

Students that still have d opportunity should learn from this thread.

I dnt want to talk abt pple with 3rd class and pass.
. Is this what you call "advice" or "directive"? I guess you've not really been out dia or will I say had experience.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Raalsalghul: 2:37pm On Aug 07, 2015
Am sure another thread similar to this or in another form will still repeat itself again on Nairaland's front page. How many times have we seen this and yet, people come and ask the same question after the numerous advice that has been offered here. Na wa oh! I don't blame them sha, the blame is on Nairaland's mods who keeping forwarding recycled threads to the front page. Nothing creative at all! Nothing!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by 2goodbobo(m): 2:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
O' Yes there is hope for 2-2 graduate. don't look down on yourself because you have 2-2.
your qualities and what you can offer is what matters. So many first class and second class upper
graduates can't even defend their certificates when the need arises. However, is advisable to consolidate
on it by doing Masters or certified courses. good luck.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Raalsalghul: 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mekky05:
. Is this what you call "advice" or "directive"? I guess you've not really been out dia or will I say had experience.
Don't blame him, his advice might be discouraging considering the Op's dilemma, but there is truth to some points he mentioned in his comment. God help all of us both the Pass and the 1st class graduates.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 2:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mekky05:

My dear. This is the truth, though mayb bitter.Talking about d experience. I am a product of a Nigerian Public University. With close to 10yrs Oil and Gas Experience. I've worked with a bank and 2 different Oil companies, 1 a service company and d other an E & P. I joined d labour market in 2004 & stopped job searching in 2007. All through my job search era i applied for job in almost every reasonable company in Nigeria & d middle-east. I know d différent responses i got from each.I wrote several tests and even turned down some offers. I quit searching when i got my current job 8 & half yrs ago.I didn't get my 1st choice job bt something close to it. I was tired of applying for Trainee positions and was already crossing d upper limit of age for entry level positions.

My adviced may sound like a directive to u cos i said dem affirmatively.I am affirmative bc i know what i am talking abt.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by madenigga(m): 2:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
Don't mind most of these things this people are saying abt third class and d rest bad results, about how they made third class and still made it.
From my experience 80percent of unserious students are from Rich homes, these students when they mk 3rd class or any low results it doesn't affect them because they have an empire waiting for them or there parents wud just fit them in somewhere.
5years later when u see these set of ppl driving cars u wud be saying u are useless that's not how things work. Education is good.
If u know u don't hv parents dat can give u millions to pursue ur dreams, or u don't have a business empire waiting for u somewhere or ur parents are struggling in one low class apartment and u come out with a bad result.
If there is no grace of God. I put it to u u wud live to regret it for the rest of ur life.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
metrosexual:

"First and foremost I'd like to unequivocally state that a 2:1 gives you an edge over the 2:2 graduates especially for shortlisting
purposes. Most graduate trainee programs have a minimum of 2:1 as their requirement.

category to add a proven competency other than your 2:2 grade to make you shine in the eyes of an employer. I'd use myself as an example, I polished my writing skills, my diction and communication skills.

proposal to a top multinational firm, attached my CV and a cover letter, I got an invite for an interview, just minutes into the interview the HR manager said... "I love your diction!" ...Your proposal was an excellent idea, I just wanted to hear you talk."

And as you guessed right, I got the job! Mind you, I graduated with a 2:2 and my start up salary was close to six digits.

Apart from your 2:1 or 2:2, every employer respects "IDEAS" over a certificate. I have a very good job today because I sold an idea to my employer.

professional certifications to your certificate to give your CV some shine, go for Internationally recognised certifications in your profession, the likes of CISA, CISCO, NEBOSH, Prince 2, etc.

If that's far reached you can go for certification from Nigerian Institutes, the likes of Institute of Chattered Accountants of Nigeria, Nigerian institute of Management, Chattered institute of Personnel Management and others. And mind you, you must not read Accounting in University to get an ICAN certification. I had a friend who read Statistics and in final year he registered for ICAN, before finishing NYSC he got his ICAN certification and works in a multinational corporation now, and mind you, he graduated with a 2:2.

I bet you that a 2:2 with CISA or ORACLE 11g would beat a 2:1 graduate to a job.

A 2:2 graduate with ICAN before hitting age 27 would give you a job almost anyplace you apply.

A 2:1 just gives you a better chance over the 2:2 graduates for the case of Graduate Trainee programs, but how many jobs do Graduate Trainee Programs offer? VERY FEW!"

My last words to everyone is this ... Hustle hard!! If you made 2:1 make sure it works for you, if you got a 2:2 acquire extra skills and competences to convince an employer that you are competent enough. All the best everyone!!![/b]

Pls what was d subject of d proposal
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by madenigga(m): 3:00pm On Aug 07, 2015
metrosexual:

Exactly.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 3:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
metrosexual:

Wow! Bravo! Very good advice. But writting skills and diction are nt things u can polish over night. U start from as far as primary school.

I like it when u said "go for professional certifications in ur chosen profession". Some lads jst jump into certification programmes bc dey heard dat is what pple do these days to get a job.

The summary of ur advice is still dat 2:2 graduate needs to work d extra mile to repackage himself.

Kudos.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Mcowubaba: 3:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
Icon4s:
Op to tell you tthe truth. With a 2:2 u are screwed up bt nt completely.
The Nigerian system has it that after school u go looking for job. The easiest way to stand out of d crowd of millions of fresh graduates is to make atleast a 2:1 bc this puts u at d higher 10% percentile and increases ur chance of being shortlisted for aptitude tests.

Ur 2:2 puts u in d popular basket where most graduates fall into making u having to compete with almost every graduate for d few available position.In this case ur chance of getting that job becomes slimmer.

Peeps have come here shouting it doesnt matter," what u need is connection", "Grace of God", "Go for ur masters", "become self employed", "go for certifications"," what employers look at is skills & nt result". Yes it works for some. But note it that:

-Not everybody has d necessary connections. Some pple bc their uncle is a gate man in a company feel they have connection.

-God rewards hard work with excellence. U didnt play ur part as a student and at d end of d day expect God to come and work wonders. Miracles are nt common that is y they are called miracles.

-U are adviced by some to go for masters.Note that in most cases what will still give u dat job is ur first degree. Masters changes little or nothing. U are still goinf back for more theories with little or no industry experience. If u graduate at 21 or 22yrs better for u. But when u graduate at 26-28yrs and then go for master by d time u are out u are already over 30yrs and that further compound ur woes bc most companies put a maximum age of 24-27.

-Some say become self employed. Note dat it is nt everybody that has d entrepreneural skills.If u study a course dat u can use to practise better for u. Eg: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, mayb Law. Bt for some causes d Nigerian situation cannot allow u practise except u seek employment.

-Some say get certifications.If u like get 100 certifications, the first thing employers use to select candidates for fresh graduate position is 1st degree.

-Some say companies focus more on skills or what u can do. This can only apply for experienced positions. What employers need for graduate trainee applicants is that paper degree ceritificate.

The advice i can give to a graduate with 2:2 depends on:
-The person's age
-The course studied
-Location of residence among others.

However, remember i said a person with 2:2 is screwed up bt nt completely. I am implying dat it is bad bt u can still help ur self. Jst dat u have to work extra hard and in most cases nt likely to get a job as quickly as 1:1 & 2:1 graduates.

Students that still have d opportunity should learn from this thread.

I dnt want to talk abt pple with 3rd class and pass.
Though you have a valid point(s) I beg to differ a little..
Thay way you are painting/categorising 2.2 is appalling , its not as bad as you are saying!!!..you even said work "EXTRA HARD"..
My Elder Cousin graduated with 2.2 nd got his first Job immediately after service...he has no Masters!! No certification!! No connections!!! Just GOD's grace.. Though his pay was 57K-65K per annum...but that was a starting point in his life...today he earns over 200k...I am not saying this to encourage students to be less-ambitious or unserious in their education-NO....all am saying is that 2.2 is not as bad as you made it to look...
Some people that made 2.2 grade on a 5.0 CGPA scale are 3.3, 3.4 even 3.48 ..but couldn't make 3.5(2.1) due to a missing script or some other issues undecided.
On a personal note, my course mate graduated with 3.45 nd believe me when I say that she is academically better than most of my other course mates that made 3.5 nd above... She can defend herself nd represent herself better than most second class upper degree holders!!!...Exams is not the true test of knowledge nd intelligence!!!
You forget to mention that some 1st class nd Second class upper degree holders are under-employed or even unemployed with their some of their counterparts that made 2.2, 3rd class nd pass...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application / How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria / Ptdf Oil And Gas Field Training Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.