Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market (39429 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? / Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Harinholar(f): 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
dozymars:

Silly Question. Is Bill Gate and Mark Zukerberg a first class of 2.1 gradute ?
...hummm
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Harinholar(f): 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2015
U av all spoken well...Grace all d way....
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Raalsalghul: 7:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
Ybnm4life:
Most employees don't really care about certification these days anymore especially if you graduated from a prestigious university... A 2.2 from Unilag is better than a 2.1 from any university from Ogun state...
But everything depends on God, even people that graduated with first class are still yet to be employed. Just pray God smiles on whatever grade you have and you are in the lahbour market...
Your comment doesn't even make a lick of sense! Can you listen to yourself? You are trying to say that someone's alma mater determines his/her intelligence and employability in the labour market. Do you think employers care about your alma mater? No they don't,they only care about what you can offer to them and here you are with your flawed reasoning. Don't you know that a graduate from an unknown school like Gombe State University can be more sound than a UNILAG graduate. Intelligence doesn't in anyway correlate with your alma mater. Nigerian graduates! Why will employers even consider us when our reasoning and argument is as flawed as yours?

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Raalsalghul: 8:07pm On Aug 07, 2015
prettyjo:
we are tired of discussing and even seeing this topic over and over again.

mstchewwwwwwwwwww
My dear, I second your comment. I said exactly the same thing few pages away from this one. Nairaland is full of recycled and formulaic threads. I am sure by next week, a user will ask a question similar to this and the mods as usual will move it to the front page. It's hard to see a creative and refreshing thread here on Nairaland.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Ybnm4life(m): 8:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
Raalsalghul:
Your comment doesn't even make a lick of sense! Can you listen to yourself? You are trying to say that someone's alma mater determines his/her intelligence and employability in the labour market. Do you think employers care about your alma mater? No they don't,they only care about what you can offer to them and here you are with your flawed reasoning. Don't you know that a graduate from an unknown school like Gombe State University can be more sound than a UNILAG graduate. Intelligence doesn't in anyway correlate with your alma mater. Nigerian graduates! Why will employers even consider us when our reasoning and argument is as flawed as yours?
Must you quote me? Can't you critize without resorting to insult, every opinion can sometimes be corrected and respected which you did at sone point but fumble along the way.. It my opinion... Stop quoting me in the Name of "LIKES"
ERAN
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Raalsalghul: 10:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
Ybnm4life:

Must you quote me? Can't you critize without resorting to insult, every opinion can sometimes be corrected and respected which you did at sone point but fumble along the way.. It my opinion... Stop quoting me in the Name of "LIKES"
ERAN
Saying your reasoning is flawed is not an insult: it means you should reconstruct your argument.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Ybnm4life(m): 10:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
Raalsalghul:
Saying your reasoning is flawed is not an insult: it means you should reconstruct your argument.
Thumbs up to you, my bad.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Mcslize: 10:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
rago lets continue our tutorial. Wen I mentioned u somtime ago u said u don't even knw who I was den I posted a message mentioning u telling u dat was d guy u were teaching some America diction on whatsapp which I knw u already remember cuz I saw no reply frm u that tells me u know who I am.

Hope I've nt offended u sha...dis one u no dey reply person mention so.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by MrsAnyanwu(f): 11:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
busayochic:
My dear friend, I finished with a 3rd class and today I'm a manager at a multinational company. Believe in God, believe in yourself and develop yourself!
pls tell us how it all happened , what did u do?
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by MrsAnyanwu(f): 12:01am On Aug 08, 2015
crackhouse:
it is only lazy people that are looking for who to work for instead of who will work for them. Assuming those employers did not strive or work hard to establish those companies will u see where to work? so work hard dude, think! think!! u must think out something and stop looking for already established empire. think like a boss and stop thinking like a servant.
Hahhhahhhaaa one sentence got me laughing, real hard "assuming those employers did not strive or work hard to establish those companies will u see where to work"
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by RhemaDavids(f): 12:36am On Aug 08, 2015
metrosexual:
[b]Below are words of a successful 2:2 graduate;

"First and foremost I'd like to unequivocally state that a 2:1 gives you an edge over the 2:2 graduates especially for shortlisting
purposes. Most graduate trainee programs have a minimum of 2:1 as their requirement.

Now to 2:2 graduates, I'd advise folks in this
category to add a proven competency other than your 2:2 grade to make you shine in the eyes of an employer. I'd use myself as an example, I polished my writing skills, my diction and communication skills.

Weeks before finishing NYSC, I wrote a
proposal to a top multinational firm, attached my CV and a cover letter, I got an invite for an interview, just minutes into the interview the HR manager said... "I love your diction!" ...Your proposal was an excellent idea, I just wanted to hear you talk."

And as you guessed right, I got the job! Mind you, I graduated with a 2:2 and my start up salary was close to six digits.

Apart from your 2:1 or 2:2, every employer respects "IDEAS" over a certificate. I have a very good job today because I sold an idea to my employer.

Another option for 2:2 graduates is to add
professional certifications to your certificate to give your CV some shine, go for Internationally recognised certifications in your profession, the likes of CISA, CISCO, NEBOSH, Prince 2, etc.

If that's far reached you can go for certification from Nigerian Institutes, the likes of Institute of Chattered Accountants of Nigeria, Nigerian institute of Management, Chattered institute of Personnel Management and others. And mind you, you must not read Accounting in University to get an ICAN certification. I had a friend who read Statistics and in final year he registered for ICAN, before finishing NYSC he got his ICAN certification and works in a multinational corporation now, and mind you, he graduated with a 2:2.

I bet you that a 2:2 with CISA or ORACLE 11g would beat a 2:1 graduate to a job.

A 2:2 graduate with ICAN before hitting age 27 would give you a job almost anyplace you apply.

A 2:1 just gives you a better chance over the 2:2 graduates for the case of Graduate Trainee programs, but how many jobs do Graduate Trainee Programs offer? VERY FEW!"

My last words to everyone is this ... Hustle hard!! If you made 2:1 make sure it works for you, if you got a 2:2 acquire extra skills and competences to convince an employer that you are competent enough. All the best everyone!!![/b]
I love u @ op
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by ogbonti: 4:41am On Aug 08, 2015
Polithiefcian:
is it advisable for a graduate of History to register for Project Mangement professional course?

Advice pls

No please, that is mixing apples and oranges!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 5:57am On Aug 08, 2015
Vado:
Dude let no one intimidate you. 2.2 is not the best for sure, but neither is it the worst and you can't compare the value of a 2.2 in a place like Unilorin or UI with what obtains in IBB university. Go around all the top-notch federal universities and tell me how many students make 2.1. That target is not a walk in the park. My department boasted of only few 2.1 last year and it wasn't like the rest of the class were daft.

My friend a graduate of Yobe state University with a 2:1 has a better chance of being shortlisted for a job aptitude test than a 2:2 graduate from Ife assuming dey both read same course. This is bitter to swallow yes bt it d truth.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Polithiefcian(m): 6:55am On Aug 08, 2015
ogbonti:

No please, that is mixing apples and oranges!
So whc professional course do u think I shd take?
Thanks
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by yetunsbay(m): 7:32am On Aug 08, 2015
dozymars:

Silly Question.
Is Bill Gate and Mark Zukerberg a first class of 2.1 gradute ?
silly reply
compare the environment Bill Gate and Mark Zukerberg studied with that of 9ja

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by people3: 7:38am On Aug 08, 2015
4 dose still in schl try and make 1.1 or 2.1 cos multinational companies invite 2.1 or 1.1 for interview and why will u see better grade and go lower grade ? BUT if d deed is done (2.2) aquire more qualifications to equate to 1.1 or 2.1 qualification.. IN politics 2day BUHARI and GEJ went 4 election and Buhari won, y was GEJ not given president 4 coming second ? Grade and skills MATTER wat u can contribute. I have gotten so many interviews even selectng..... Proudly EKSU..Engr k
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by tobybasten(m): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2015
Polithiefcian:

So whc professional course do u think I shd take?

Thanks
When you have a definite profession.
For example, if you find yourself in human resources - get certified on that.
Computer networking- Cisco et AL... .
I understand people just do courses this days just to add more paper to what they have but that's not the essence of professional courses.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by abiola883: 8:32am On Aug 08, 2015
... There's hope, you've forgotten who you are. shocked... There's hope, you've forgotten who you are.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by busayochic: 9:02am On Aug 08, 2015
no2fuks:

olodo rabata
my dear friend, normally I would ignore this but I guess it has given room for me to share a story with you. The end justifies the means... ever heard of that? I finished secondary school best chemistry and maths student. Went to uni and was faced with financial, accommodation and environmental challenges. This had a huge impact on my grades during my 100 & 200 level. I only became somewhat stable during my 300 level of which it was too late as an irrevocable damage had been done to my G.P.A. So I graduated with 3rd class and enrolled for a program whilst on national service. I got my first job at MTN a month after I completed service (God's favor). I was already working while my contemporaries that finished with 2.1. were still job hunting. I kept developing my self with online courses and learning Microsoft Excel via YouTube (yes! YouTube is not only for musical videos). Worked in 2 other organisations and made manager last year. Truth is, a point will come that organisations won't bother about what u finished with but what u are bringing to the table in terms of experience. That's how the Germans operate. Now I'm not encouraging people to go finish with a 3rd class... nah! All I'm saying is, regardless what you finished with, you can still make it in life. No man is God. It's all about His favours; plus, the importance of constantly developing yourself can not be over emphasised

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by busayochic: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2015
busayochic:
my dear friend, normally I would ignore this but I guess it has given room for me to share a story with you. The end justifies the means... ever heard of that? I finished secondary school best chemistry and maths student. Went to uni and was faced with financial, accommodation and environmental challenges. This had a huge impact on my grades during my 100 & 200 level. I only became somewhat stable during my 300 level of which it was too late as an irrevocable damage had been done to my G.P.A. So I graduated with 3rd class and enrolled for a program whilst on national service. I got my first job at MTN a month after I completed service (God's favor). I was already working while my contemporaries that finished with 2.1. were still job hunting. I kept developing my self with online courses and learning Microsoft Excel via YouTube (yes! YouTube is not only for musical videos). Worked in 2 other organisations and made manager last year. Truth is, a point will come that organisations won't bother about what u finished with but what u are bringing to the table in terms of experience. That's how the Germans operate. Now I'm not encouraging people to go finish with a 3rd class... nah! All I'm saying is, regardless what you finished with, you can still make it in life. No man is God. It's all about His favours; plus, the importance of constantly developing yourself can not be over emphasised

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by FunnyDude(m): 9:31am On Aug 08, 2015
The purpose of school is to sharpen ur mental prowess to think outta d box...even as 2.1 graduate,u'll still need to be independent do to the impromptu retrenched in most coy. Graduate with the best of grades firstly,incase,anything goes wrong in ur entrepreneural life.U gonna have smething to fall back on later.

My 1 cent

This plot is dedicated to all the husslers in the street

All the Assholes roaming at night

The bitches at Allen junction

The weed smokers at my hood

Do not quote me

Else

U gonna die.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by no2fuks(m): 10:40am On Aug 08, 2015
busayochic:

I am not yoruba I was only wondering if you knew how to sing the full song I checked goggle but still couldnt find it.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by daimlerbenz: 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
You downplay almost every other persons suggestions without giving yours.
Icon4s:
Op to tell you tthe truth. With a 2:2 u are screwed up bt nt completely.
The Nigerian system has it that after school u go looking for job. The easiest way to stand out of d crowd of millions of fresh graduates is to make atleast a 2:1 bc this puts u at d higher 10% percentile and increases ur chance of being shortlisted for aptitude tests.

Ur 2:2 puts u in d popular basket where most graduates fall into making u having to compete with almost every graduate for d few available position.In this case ur chance of getting that job becomes slimmer.

Peeps have come here shouting it doesnt matter," what u need is connection", "Grace of God", "Go for ur masters", "become self employed", "go for certifications"," what employers look at is skills & nt result". Yes it works for some. But note it that:

-Not everybody has d necessary connections. Some pple bc their uncle is a gate man in a company feel they have connection.

-God rewards hard work with excellence. U didnt play ur part as a student and at d end of d day expect God to come and work wonders. Miracles are nt common that is y they are called miracles.

-U are adviced by some to go for masters.Note that in most cases what will still give u dat job is ur first degree. Masters changes little or nothing. U are still goinf back for more theories with little or no industry experience. If u graduate at 21 or 22yrs better for u. But when u graduate at 26-28yrs and then go for master by d time u are out u are already over 30yrs and that further compound ur woes bc most companies put a maximum age of 24-27.

-Some say become self employed. Note dat it is nt everybody that has d entrepreneural skills.If u study a course dat u can use to practise better for u. Eg: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, mayb Law. Bt for some causes d Nigerian situation cannot allow u practise except u seek employment.

-Some say get certifications.If u like get 100 certifications, the first thing employers use to select candidates for fresh graduate position is 1st degree.

-Some say companies focus more on skills or what u can do. This can only apply for experienced positions. What employers need for graduate trainee applicants is that paper degree ceritificate.

The advice i can give to a graduate with 2:2 depends on:
-The person's age
-The course studied
-Location of residence among others.

However, remember i said a person with 2:2 is screwed up bt nt completely. I am implying dat it is bad bt u can still help ur self. Jst dat u have to work extra hard and in most cases nt likely to get a job as quickly as 1:1 & 2:1 graduates.

Students that still have d opportunity should learn from this thread.

I dnt want to talk abt pple with 3rd class and pass.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by EmmyDe25(m): 5:26am On Aug 09, 2015
This degree ish is only news when you're looking for an entry-level job. It wouldnt matter when you have about 3years of experience. There are thousand and one 2.2 graduates doing fantastically well out there. I think the real thing is getting the right information at the right time, and of course having something to offer. No coy wants to be adding up excess fat, they want game-changers, ideas-oriented employees. This you dont get because you graduated with a 1:1 or 2:1.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by rago(m): 11:17pm On Aug 09, 2015
Mcslize:
rago lets continue our tutorial. Wen I mentioned u somtime ago u said u don't even knw who I was den I posted a message mentioning u telling u dat was d guy u were teaching some America diction on whatsapp which I knw u already remember cuz I saw no reply frm u that tells me u know who I am.

Hope I've nt offended u sha...dis one u no dey reply person mention so.

oh, it's u bud
I wil holler now
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 10, 2015
[quote author=steviron post=36702741] pls how did U do it?
I kept my certificate and went to learnt Telecoms principles on field wich took me good 8mnths without kobo.
When i got d opportunity for interview nobody asked about my certificate till i went for Documentations. It was all about what u can do
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Talie2kiss(f): 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2015
Certificate barely matters now in dis country of ours, it's either u r favoured by God or ur connection,most times connections fails
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by benjaminiyke(m): 10:35pm On Aug 22, 2015
Harinholar:
..nice 1..bt mind u professional courses is different nd can not be compare wit just any oda course...
Yeah...you are right about that.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by luminousity(m): 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
Icon4s:

a job of over a 100 applicant. This is d kind of job 2:2 can give u. 2:1 or 1:1 can get u selected from over 400, 000 applicants.
keep fooling yourself. I can tell you that out of all the 100 plus applicant I mention earlier, we have some with your so call 1.1 as well as 2.1, even some backing it up with an MBA and MSc. I rest my case.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Tobbey(m): 5:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
I pray I get favoured
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 23, 2016
nobleens:
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

if you're still in school,study hard,...if you've graduated...work on yourself...most people dt ll employ on merit want to hear what you have upstairs and what certifications you have

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application / How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria / Ptdf Oil And Gas Field Training Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.