Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,101 members, 7,821,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. (90300 Views)

I Lost My First Bank Atm Card How Do I Block It, Via Text Or Online / SAT Change Of Subject Question Some American Students Could Not Solve / See This Equation That Leads To Merry Xmas (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Kutunban: 10:39pm On Aug 10, 2015
3+3*3-3+3=0

If you got 12 its wrong because

Multiplying 3*3 is a wrong step to solving equation above

What affects +3 must affect -3

So putting (3*3) ain't good

Which is obviously wrong
So for duded with 12 calculators and mathematical apps ain't good for you.
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 10:41pm On Aug 10, 2015
if our educational system is wrong. then you are definately part of failures. the answer is 6. ask your younger ones in ss3 to solve it for you.

you should weep for yourself.

quote author=petikal post=36825119]I weep for our academic system... actually, no, our academic system is better than this! I weep for the ignorant ones blindly insisting that they are right to something this simple.

It's laughable to say Google can't do BODMAS when you have no idea the brains behind the search engine called "Google". These folks employ the brightest researchers in their field to solve the most complex/abstract problems, and BODMAS is the minutest of those.

If you're going to use BODMAS, apply it properly, and don't negate other mathematical rules.

-A+A is ALWAYS zero. Applying brackets doesn't change that.

The answer here is 12.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 10:44pm On Aug 10, 2015
you are not mathematically inclined too. the answer is 6. ask your younger ones at home

quote author=Tubexsms post=36824463]The Answer is 12. Most guys are not mathematically incline.
If it was about money almost everybody will get it correct. Even pMB did not pass mathematics
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Kutunban: 10:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:

no man. you placed the parentheses wrong.

multiplication comes first so it should be
3 + (3 * 3) - 3 + 3

Then addition

(3 + 9) - (3 + 3)

before subtraction

12 - 6 = 6 qed

So when multiplying 3 by +3 it doesn't affect -3 is that what you are implying?

Read more on quadratics it will help you.
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by otemanuduno: 10:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:
3 + 3 X 3 - 3 + 3

The answer is 6. Use BODMAS.

bracket of Division. multiplication. addition and substraction.

in tht order.

1. Division = No division in the equation so skip tht.

2. Multiplication = only multiply the numbers connected to it. that is 3 x 3. ignore the others.

therefore you have 3 + 9 - 3 + 3 left

3. Addition = now do only numbers connected to addition sign. tht is 3 + 9 and also 3 + 3

therefore you have 12 - 6 left

4. Subtraction = subtract numbers
12 - 6 = 6. qed
YOUR TEACHER DID NOT TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE THE MINUS SIGN OUT WHILE CALCULATING? YOU SAID 12-3+3=12-6? CHAI! NA WA FOR YOU O. DO YOU REMEMBER THE SET THEORY? WE USE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE 12-x+x+10-x=universal set. why didnt u get 12-2x+10-x=22-3x at the left hand side? I tot u normly say -x cancels +x and then get 22-x as ur left side part of the equation. so tel me why ur -3 didnt cancl +3 in 12-3+3 you got?

2 Likes

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by otemanuduno: 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
Kutunban:
3+3*3-3+3=0

Which implies
3+3(3-3)+3=0

Which is obviously wrong
Pls simplify this equation for me; x+3x-3+x where x=3. Pls collect all the like terms collectable before insertin d valu of x into the equation.
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Kutunban: 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
otemanuduno:
YOUR TEACHER DID NOT TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE THE MINUS SIGN OUT WHILE CALCULATING? YOU SAID 12-3+3=12-6? CHAI! NA WA FOR YOU O. DO YOU REMEMBER THE SET THEORY? WE USE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE 12-x+x+10-x=universal set. why didnt u get 12-2x+10-x=22-3x at the left hand side? I tot u normly say -x cancels +x and then get 22-x as ur left side part of the equation. so tel me why ur -3 didnt cancl +3 in 12-3+3 you got?

You are one of the smartest I can see here

2 Likes

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by hollowpot15684(m): 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
abumeinben:

This is why u were not called for interview....smh

this is why u keep failing.... look at how he is saying it like he is so sure of himself

the ansa is 6.

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by dagr8(m): 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
Kutunban:
3+3*3-3+3=0

So putting (3*3) ain't good

Which is obviously wrong
hoping to engage you in a meaningful discussion

If you are told to calculate the expression 24 + 6 / 3 * 5 * 2^3 - 9, what will be your answer?
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by petikal(m): 10:54pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:
...therefore you have 3 + 9 - 3 + 3 left

3. Addition = now do only numbers connected to addition sign. tht is 3 + 9 and also 3 + 3

therefore you have 12 - 6 left

4. Subtraction = subtract numbers
12 - 6 = 6. qed

So, by YOUR 3rd rule: 3 + 9 - 3 + 3 => 3+9 and 3+3??

Don't you see the mistake there? How did -3+3 become 3+3?

Again, when students make silly mistakes like this, they're to blame, not the academic system.

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 10:54pm On Aug 10, 2015
the answer is still 6

minus sign is only impacted in a multiplication scenario.

like -3 * 3 = - 9

how when applying bodmas you only work with numbers next to the sign in question.

hope this helps.

quote author=otemanuduno post=36826385] YOUR TEACHER DID NOT TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE THE MINUS SIGN OUT WHILE CALCULATING? YOU SAID 12-3+3=12-6? CHAI! NA WA FOR YOU O. DO YOU REMEMBER THE SET THEORY? WE USE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE 12-x+x+10-x=universal set. why didnt u get 12-2x+10-x=22-3x at the left hand side? I tot u normly say -x cancels +x and then get 22-x as ur left side part of the equation. so tel me why ur -3 didnt cancl +3 in 12-3+3 you got? [/quote]

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by JummyIR: 10:55pm On Aug 10, 2015
I beg wots d ans op? Cos mine is 6 bodmas levels.
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 10:57pm On Aug 10, 2015
yes. it does not affect the minus sign because the multiplication sign is between the 3 * 3. and multiplication comes first before addition and subtraction.

hope this helps

quote author=Kutunban post=36826374]

Read more on quadratics it will help you.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by bollify(m): 10:58pm On Aug 10, 2015
Kutunban:
Solving equation
3+3*3-3+3=?

(3+3) * (3-3) + 3= 0

(6) * (0) + 3 = 0

0 + 3 = 3

Adding brackets doesn't alter the equation because its like writing

[+3+3*3-3+3]=0

Very wrong sir.... PEMDAS OR BODMAS the answer is the same. Your solution is like saying x + x^2 - x = (x+x)*(x-x) do you now see that the bracket you introduced altered the original equation? The answer is 12 sir, sit down and look at it properly. God bless us

2 Likes

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by otemanuduno: 10:59pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:
the answer is still 6

like -3 * 3 = - 9

how when applying bodmas you only work with numbers next to the sign in question.

hope this helps.

quote author=otemanuduno post=36826385] YOUR TEACHER DID NOT TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE THE MINUS SIGN OUT WHILE CALCULATING? YOU SAID 12-3+3=12-6? CHAI! NA WA FOR YOU O. DO YOU REMEMBER THE SET THEORY? WE USE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE 12-x+x+10-x=universal set. why didnt u get 12-2x+10-x=22-3x at the left hand side? I tot u normly say -x cancels +x and then get 22-x as ur left side part of the equation. so tel me why ur -3 didnt cancl +3 in 12-3+3 you got?
HELPS ONLY THOSE WHO WANTS TO FAIL grin grin grin
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Kutunban: 11:01pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:
yes. it does not affect the minus sign because the multiplication sign is between the 3 * 3. and multiplication comes first before addition and subtraction.

hope this helps

quote author=Kutunban post=36826374]

Read more on quadratics it will help you.

SMH
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by petikal(m): 11:02pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:
the answer is still 6

like -3 * 3 = - 9

hope this helps.
Please stop the silliness, the (-) came after the multiplication, and is a property of the value 3. Hence, the computation (-3)+3 is zero.

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 11:02pm On Aug 10, 2015
bodmas requires that you treat addition before subtraction.

so for a scenario of
3 + 9 - 3 + 3

only select numbers next to addition sign and ignore others.

so to make it clearly using parentheses it would be
(3 + 9) - (3 + 3)

those are the numbers closest to the addition sign before you ca then treat subtraction

hope this helps

quote author=petikal post=36826697]

Again, when students make silly mistakes like this, they're to blame, not the academic system.[/quote]
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Decapo: 11:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
Sleekydee:

yup.

were you not thought bodmas in school?
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Kutunban: 11:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
bollify:

Very wrong sir.... PEMDAS OR BODMAS the answer is the same. Your solution is like saying x + x^2 - x = (x+x)*(x-x) do you now see that the bracket you introduced altered the original equation? The answer is 12 sir, sit down and look at it properly. God bless us

Now that's a beautiful observation, I really appreciate but

The answer is still 3

3+3*3-3+3=0
(3+3)*(3-3)+3=0
(9-9)+(9-9)+3=0
0+0+3=3
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:07pm On Aug 10, 2015
Kutunban:
I saw the below equation on First Bank BBM channel and what i saw with great dismay was the poor answers people were writing. Seriously our arithmetical knowledge needs to be awaken because i can't see a nation developing with poor analytical skills especially with simple equation.

So Nairaland members lets see those with good knowledge of arithmetic and those who will embarrass their parents.
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by dagr8(m): 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2015
@datanet
Even though A for addition is in PEMDAS/BODMAS before S for subtraction, these two operations also have the same priority. You look for these last two operations from left to right and complete them in that order.
I think we should all have a heart to learn...
It just hurts me seeing people doing something wrong and are bent on it cool

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2015
the computation

- 3 + 3 = 0 is correct only if this is the only equation we have

however the equation is

3 + 9 - 3 + 3 you must therefore apply BODMAS

hence. addition takes priority after you hav initially done 3 * 3.

hope this helps

petikal:

Please stop the silliness, the (-) came after the multiplication, and is a property of the value 3. Hence, the computation (-3)+3 is zero.

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Philadelphia: 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2015
For those still doubting, I applied BODMAS and got 12, I applied real life scenarios and got 12. undecided
Ok, if you can't do any of the 2 I mentioned above, then ask google wink
And if you're lazy to ask google, well I've helped you and below is the screenshot of google's answer.
But if you're still not convinced, then you need to go and plead with the witches in your village to stop dancing shakiti bobo around your head angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by petikal(m): 11:13pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:

so for a scenario of
3 + 9 - 3 + 3

(3 + 9) - (3 + 3)

those are the numbers closest to the addition sign before you ca then treat subtraction

hope this helps

No. Respectfully, your application of parenthesis is incorrect. Have you done quadratic equations before? What happens when you remove brackets following a negative sign? The (+-) signs that were inside change.

-(3+3) is equal to -1(3+3), which is equal to -3-3. The signs change. Don't apply BODMAS while negating other mathematical rules. And please stop saying "hope this helps". I've taught university level Calculus; this is very elementary and the argument is silly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 11:13pm On Aug 10, 2015
good point. DAGR8

i missed out on the left tto right rule.

you are right..

at this point.

3 + 9 - 3 + 3. the left to right rule should apply.

ao the correct answer is 12.

dagr8:
@datanet
Even though A for addition is in PEMDAS/BODMAS before S for subtraction, these two operations also have the same priority. You look for these last two operations from left to right and complete them in that order.
I think we should all have a heart to learn...
It just hurts me seeing people doing something wrong and are bent on it cool

2 Likes

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by harsysky(m): 11:18pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:

so for a scenario of
3 + 9 - 3 + 3

(3 + 9) - (3 + 3)

hope this helps

quote author=petikal post=36826697]

Again, when students make silly mistakes like this, they're to blame, not the academic system.

Let's for a second forget about BODMAS. I'm not about to lecture you; I just want you to reason with me. The question is (3+3*3-3+3)? Every number there with either + or - can move around but the exemption is (+3*3) . One can't move the +3 from its coleague *3 , they have formed a bond ( I think that's even why mathematicians brought the idea of BODMAS but if we all understand how NUMBERS work, we don't need BODMAS) that can't be broken easily. So, what u do is since (+3*3) have formed a bond, you tackle it first which equates to (+9). Now, You have removed the only sign (*) that is a problem to both - and + . You can now move them around as u wish i.e 3+9-3+3 or 3-3+9+3 or 9-3+3+3 or -3+3+3+9 . All must give 12. Reason with me that's all I ask.

3 Likes

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Datanet: 11:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
yes. thats correct.

once you treat the 3 * 3.

every other one can be moved around.

you are right. its 12.

quote author=harsysky post=36827380]

Let's for a second forget about BODMAS. I'm not about to lecture you; I just want you to reason with me. The question is (3+3*3-3+3)? Every number there with either + or - can move around but the exemption is (+3*3) . One can't move the +3 from its coleague *3 , they have formed a bond ( I think that's even why mathematicians brought the idea of BODMAS but if we all understand how NUMBERS work, we don't need BODMAS) that can't be broken easily. So, what u do is since (+3*3) have formed a bond, you tackle it first which equates to (+9). Now, You have removed the only sign (*) that is a problem to both - and + . You can now move them around as u wish i.e 3+9-3+3 or 3-3+9+3 or 9-3+3+3 or -3+3+3+9 . All must give 12. Reason with me that's all I ask.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by Kazrem(m): 11:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
12 is the answer.
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by harsysky(m): 11:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
Datanet:

yes. thats correct.

once you treat the 3 * 3.

every other one can be moved around.

you are right. its 12.

quote author=harsysky post=36827380]

Let's for a second forget about BODMAS. I'm not about to lecture you; I just want you to reason with me. The question is (3+3*3-3+3)? Every number there with either + or - can move around but the exemption is (+3*3) . One can't move the +3 from its coleague *3 , they have formed a bond ( I think that's even why mathematicians brought the idea of BODMAS but if we all understand how NUMBERS work, we don't need BODMAS) that can't be broken easily. So, what u do is since (+3*3) have formed a bond, you tackle it first which equates to (+9). Now, You have removed the only sign (*) that is a problem to both - and + . You can now move them around as u wish i.e 3+9-3+3 or 3-3+9+3 or 9-3+3+3 or -3+3+3+9 . All must give 12. Reason with me that's all I ask.

Thanks Man for reasoning with me.

1 Like

Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by abumeinben(m): 11:27pm On Aug 10, 2015
hollowpot15684:

this is why u keep failing.... look at how he is saying it like he is so sure of himself

the ansa is 6.

Bro...look at the question again. No bracket. Maybe u should try a calculator, type the values as they are and lets see what u get
Re: First Bank Simple Equation That 87% Could Not Solve. by coolviv: 11:35pm On Aug 10, 2015
BODMAS.... multiplication first, addition second, then subtraction last. The answer is 6.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

"I Didn't Get Admitted To OOU Because I Am Too Beautiful" - Young Lady / Teacher Demands Sex From Student Of Nuco Comprehensive Secondary School, Uyo / 15 Good Universities In Nigeria You Can Study Geology/geophysic Without Regret.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.