Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity (24070 Views)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / 5 Interesting Facts About Nothern-nigeria Pride Queen Aminat (pics) / Igbos Vs Yorubas: Similarities In Diversity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 3:36pm On Aug 11, 2015
Eastlink:
Check my profile.

I can only see your location, not state of origin
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 11, 2015
IgboDelta:
We Igbos in Delta state and Rivers State do not share the peculiarities the poster mentioned as our culture and tradition are of the Igbos of South East. We do not wear bowler hat or george nor drink ogogoro like other south south nationalities. What we wear are Igbo clothings with red cap. We also wear akwa ocha with red cap. We drink rich palm wine.

Below are the pictures of Delta State governor, Sen Ifeanyi Okowa who is from the Igbo part of Delta State.

I am south south from edo. This thread is not about igbo. Please dont make it about it. It is this kind of over bearing attitude that make many south south wary of Biafra!!! Everything is not about Igbo!!!!! is so annoying!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:
I don't know why but today I just feel this pride in me. Pride for my roots. Pride for the elements that make me what I am today.
The geographical knowledge of the average Nigerian is poor. Most don't know much about regions outside theirs. I also see a lot of misconception about this region too. Some just tag all of us as Ijaws, some call us Igbos. Now for those diehard SS/SE loyalists, I am not in any way trying to break any (political) ties here, just trying to point out unique features that makes the SS different...... and unique wink

It is pertinent to note though that the SS itself is diverse. Too many cultures, beliefs, languages, and practices goes on down here. BUT the following attributes are common amongst us. Being the straight up person that I am, I will mention both the good and not-so-good sides. Kindly note also that the negative sides are not exhibited by modern day South southerners and are not peculiar to south southerners alone.

1: Dressing Although we have our unique attires, eg Ijaw maidens, brides wear beaded caps, benin women are doned in beads and corals from head to shoulders, Akwa-Ibom/CrossRiverian women plait their hair "calabar" and decorate it elaborately and wear heavy accessories on their wrists and ankles, etc.
But generally, our men like to wear the bowler hat. What differentiates the SS women George and blouse from other regions are that the SS George is usually in bright, flamboyant colours and our blouses are usually slim fitted and sexy looking. Lol. The George is originally from the SS region. Just like the aso oke is originally from the SW. So other regions copied it from us angry tongue

2. Love for Sea Food: Yesssooo. The difference between my pot of soup and that of another woman's is that I like to put enough fish. Not just stock fish, but good ol' dried fish. Not just any kind of dried fish o but the type that can only be caught in riverian areas by the most skillful fishermen. As a proud Akwa-Ibom/Crossriverian I like to go a step further by adding periwinkles. Yummy! We have different delicacies of fresh fish.
Crab, snails, fish, crayfish, we love 'em all and we keep our men looking fresh with this! grin.

3. Marine Life: Most SS people living in our states are very comfortable with marine life. Still go to the stream, sea, etc. We have alot of festivals and ceremonies by the waterside. The kalabaris, Ishekiris, Urhobos, Ijaws, Uzeres, host the most colourful parades in Africa! You need to see some.

4. Local gin. AKA Ogogoro: Except for Pastors and and a few other men, most SS men, (above 45) in fact women too no dey carry ogogoro play o. They love their Schinapps, Chelsea, and all those their prayer drinks.

5. Quiet Intelligence: Save for a few bad eggs, most SS people have this quiet intelligence, this swag, this I-no-fit-shout thing about them. We let our accomplishments speak for themselves. Yes I know our lands are nothing much to write home about save for the oil, but we have individual accomplishments and we have the highest number of wealthy families and dynasties. (I mean families, not individual wealth) The Ibrus, the Bruces, the Igbinedions, Oloroguns, the Etiebets, the Duke Royal dynasty (they may not be the richest royals in cash, but you should check out their artifacts and accessories collection!), the brass people of Bayelsa are a formidable bunch.

6. Love for Women: This is for older generation men too. The Urhobo men are very notorious for being out-rightly polygamous. The remaining SS men womanize too but they try not to have other wives and baby mamas outside their homes. But new generation SS men have seen the folly of this and are more responsible now.

7. Detribalized: After the people of the Middlebelt, South south people are most likely to marry, do business with, hire, and patronize people from across the country. You hardly see a SS employer look down at or judge others based on their tribes or even religion.

Sum total of it all is this - the South South Rocks! wink

Nice write up. Our diversity is our strenght.

3 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by iconize(m): 4:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

I am south south from edo. This thread is not about igbo. Please dont make it about it. It is this kind of over bearing attitude that make many south south wary of Biafra!!! Everything is not about Igbo!!!!! is so annoying!!

Sometimes I wonder if y'all Nigerians love being mischievous and utterly dumb.

What's "I am south south from edo"?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by iconize(m): 4:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
Culturally, I'd say the Northern region is far more diverse than the South south region.

In the South south region, every moronic loafer wants his/her community to become a distinct ethnic group.

7 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 4:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
SS people please feel free to rep your tribe if I omitted o!

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 4:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
The Urhobos and Akwa/Cross people make the best white soup ever! tongue Notice the concentration of fish,fish and more fish! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 4:25pm On Aug 11, 2015
Elegance!

3 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 4:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
Here you go. Pick one bride. We make the best wives grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 4:38pm On Aug 11, 2015
An efik maiden.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 5:43pm On Aug 11, 2015
Edo- Delta marriages are the most common inter-tribal/State South South marriages. Especially between Binis and Urhobos
Followed by Akwa-Ibom - CrossRiver (i'm a product of one grin)
Then Bayelsa and Rivers

2 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Edo- Delta marriages are the most common inter-tribal/State South South marriages.
Followed by Akwa-Ibom - CrossRiver (i'm a product of one grin)
Then Bayelsa and Rivers

True. The reason is simple. Each of those duo were once in d same state, they are close neighbour and also with similar acestral history.

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Here you go. Pick one bride. We make the best wives grin grin grin grin grin

You omitted my tribe Esan tribe in edo state. Anthony Enahoro ( d man who moved motion for indepedence in 1956) Tony Anenih ( PDP former BOT/thief) , Cardinal Okojie, Sunny Okosun the legendry Musician and Tom Ikhimi are all from Esan.

2 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 6:53pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

You omitted my tribe Esan tribe in edo state. Anthony Enahoro ( d man who moved motion for indepedence in 1956) Tony Anenih ( PDP former BOT/thief) , Cardinal Okojie, Sunny Okosun the legendry Musician and Tom Ikhimi are all from Esan.

I'm so sorry dear. Can you help with more pictures? The South south is too diverse, can't do it all!
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 6:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
The Esan swag is legendary! atbu1983 I hope this is Esan?

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 6:57pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

True. The reason is simple. Each of those duo were once in d same state, they are close neighbour and also with similar acestral history.

Yeah!
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Duru1(m): 6:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Eastlink:
Take a look at this picture and you'll wonder if this was taken from the SE. But no, this a pure Rivers state cultural photo, live from the boat regatta. Another, thing about this dress is that it is a common cultural attire adorn by virtually every ethnic group in Rivers State.

This is definitely from Opu-obu (Opobo). The people are Igbo.

1 Like

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 11, 2015
Duru1:

U like problem too much go and open ur own thread abeg.

3 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Eastlink(m): 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2015
Duru1:

The Ibani (Bonny and Opobo) were the originators of the boat regatta, I agree. But, since the creation of Rivers state and with Government support of CANIRIV virtually every ethnic group in Rivers now participate in the regatta. For instance, the crew you saw in that picture are actually Ogonis from Khana local government. However, the Opobos and Bonnys still celebrate a separate regatta held during the Nwaotam festival.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 8:32pm On Aug 11, 2015
Eastlink:
The Ibani (Bonny and Opobo) were the originators of the boat regatta, I agree. But, since the creation of Rivers state and with Government support of CANIRIV virtually every ethnic group in Rivers now participate in the regatta. For instance, the crew you saw in that picture are actually Ogonis from Khana local government. However, the Opobos and Bonnys still celebrate a separate regatta held during the Nwaotam festival.

Interesting.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Proudly Esan. That is what we call "igbulu". We all dress like that during our traditional marriage.

Thanks 4 d pics. u are on point.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 8:53pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

Proudly Esan. That is what we call "igbulu". We all dress like that during our traditional marriage.

Ok. I've always wondered if it was all Edo that dress like that. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

Dwarf how far.

3 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
Eastlink:
Take a look at this picture and you'll wonder if this was taken from the SE. But no, this a pure Rivers state cultural photo, live from the boat regatta. Another, thing about this dress is that it is a common cultural attire adorn by virtually every ethnic group in Rivers State.

Leave that thing. Cultural interaction over time make cultures to copy one another. because history is not well recorded, u will think d people are d same people because of long time interaction.

Today almost every Nigeria do and wear"Asoebi" during wedding and even call it "Asoebi". does that make every nigerian Yoruba?. In d next 40years we will all think it is just a nigeria tin 4getting it was thru interaction.

There are many igbo in lagos who speak yoruba more than igbo language, are they now yoruba? Some of them behave like yoruba and dress like yoruba.

Most of dis south south nationalities sharing boundaries with igbo nationalities are not igbo. They have only had long interaction and trade with igbo. They both copied each other over time. and d cultures now have similarities.

Because most notherners speak hausa does not make them Hausa people.

During my NYSC in bauchi state, when i calll some of them from bauchi state Hausa, they will almost get angry. They will tell you i speak Hausa but i am not hausa. And most of them it is only Hausa and english they speak.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

Leave that thing. Cultural interaction over time make cultures to copy one another. because history is not well recorded, u will think d people are d same people because of long time interaction.

Today almost every Nigeria do and wear"Asoebi" during wedding and even call it "Asoebi". does that make every nigerian Yoruba?. In d next 40years we will all think it is just a nigeria tin 4getting it was thru interaction.

There are many igbo in lagos who speak yoruba more than igbo language, are they now yoruba?

Most of dis south south nationalities sharing boundaries with igbo nationalities are not igbo. They have only had long interaction and trade with igbo. They both copied each other over time. and d cultures now have similarities.

Why nau? These people have been lurking in the corner all day looking for the slightest excuse to legitimately pounce on any SS saying they are not Igbo. Even throughout this thread you can see how they kept throwing banters which I stylishly handled.

5 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Why nau? These people have been lurking in the corner all day looking for the slightest excuse to legitimately pounce on any SS saying they are not Igbo. Even throughout this thread you can see how they kept throwing banters which I stylishly handled.

dont mind them. if you leave them they will tell u God is an igbo man from Anambra

5 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Sweetlemon(f): 9:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

dont mind them. if you leave them they will tell u God is an igbo man from Anambra

Abeg no kee me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
atbu1983:

There are many igbo in lagos who speak yoruba more than igbo language, are they now yoruba? Some of them behave like yoruba and dress like yoruba.

Because most notherners speak hausa does not make them Hausa people.
Mumus like u who maybe because ur state was carved into d SS, dat just started existing less than 15years ago are now d ones telling people abt how d Eastern region was, the same way I don't give a damn abt Bini people neither do I know anything abt der culture dats how clueless u are to igbo matters.
You say Igbos dominate others and others abandon der culture and language to adopt igbo as there's, yet Ogoni one of d smallest tribes in d SS, despite how many years they hv been in d eastern region, present day Rivers state, despite d fact that they share boundary with igbo land and have enough igbo settlers both before and after civil war maintained der language, but others mystically and mysteriously abandoned ders and adopted igbo language.
Edo dwarf stop saying what u don't know.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
Atbu1983, Sweetlemon or whatever ur name is, d fact that igbos are indigenous to d ss would continue to pain u, if u vex too much hit ur head on a concrete wall.

6 Likes

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by cheruv: 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2015
This is one of the most shameless threads I've seen!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity by boneruns(m): 9:28pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Choi!

See my Oga late dad at the far right ehhhh...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Omabe Masquerade Festival In Enugu Ezike, A Nairalander's Village (Photos) / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.