Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview (33507 Views)

Kaduna Subeb Releases List Of Successful Candidates For Oral Interview / NRC Oral Interview / Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by onismate: 11:42am On Aug 11, 2015
I look at my life and say “I am blessed.” Even when faced with adversity, I still came out stronger and better.

It was fun and happy mood when I got a job in one of the big Paint company in Port Harcourt. I had always dreamt of working in a big oil company but immediately after my NYSC, just a month, I got a job in this paint company as an assistant auditor. I was so lucky enough that I was so loved by my colleagues and bosses. Even though It was not an oil and gas company I dreamt of. I still moved on.
My boss I answer directly to is the chairman of my department and I also heard he’s one of the shareholders in the company. And the pay I was offered was okay.

A year and 6 months into the job, a female colleague of mine came to my desk one Friday morning as usual. We were chatting when she told me that she applied to a multi national oil company in that Port harcourt. Na so I come dey vex say she no tell me nah. She said she doesn’t know that I would be interested. And she felt I was comfortable in our present company. I had always wanted to work in an oil company. Infact I don even see the thing for vision say one day, I go work for oil company.

My colleauge told me it wasn’t too late, I can still apply though the job positions were not advertised. It was an insider that told her. Na so I reach house that day, brought out my CV were I kept it, dusted the thing and re packaged it.

Two days later, I took permission from my office and went to submit my CV at the other company. I applied for the post of an assistant financial officer in the company. Three weeks later, I got a text on my phone inviting me for an interview in the oil and Gas company. Na so I happy oooo.

I prepared so well for the interview. I even did a research on the company and the pay that comes with the position I applied for. Mehn the pay was way more that my salary in my company. It was N100,000 more. Who no like better thing! Plus the other allowances and packages attached. Sure, I my female colleague was invited for the interview too. Both of us were so happy.

The day of the interview, I took permission from the office that I won’t be coming to work that day. I was just so confident. Something in me was telling me that I was going to get the job but I was still calm and prayed to God. Infact I even made a vow that if I get the job, my first salary, I go give am to God.
I got to the company for the interview that day. Fortunately, my colleague came before me and she was number 7 and I was given 14. We were 20 I counted that came for the interview.

Na so all of us sit down for waiting room. A lady came in and addressed us. She told us that we would be going into the interview room by our numbers, one at a time. Though there was fear in me but I tried to wave it off, being confident not over confident. Na so the interview start. No. 1 entered and came out and two entered. As no. 1 came out, you need to see the way some other applicants rushed up to her. They were asking her how it went and what they asked. Me, I no even move. I just stayed were I was, focused and composed myself I was thinking and remembering what I have read about the company.

It got to the turn of my colleague and she entered. About two minutes time, she was out. But as she walked out, her countenance, her face was not looking good. I immediately stood up from my seat and approached her as we went outside the room. I asked what was wrong. Na so she drop the bomb shell. “Boss messed up my interview,” she said. Boss keh! Because I didn’t understand what she was saying. Na so she tell me say, our Oga in the office who I work directly under was part of the HR team conducting the oral interview. “How come,” I thought to myself. I know my boss is indeed a great human resources manager. He had help hired for some big companies. But I didn’t know he would be part of that process of the company. I was totally diverstated. The confidence I had just went flat. It looked as if the devil has poured me cold water. Goose pimples all over my body. I wondered how I would face him. Infact, he was the first person I told the previous day that I won’t be coming to work that day. I told him I would be travelling to my village to see my grand mom though would come back. Now he would see me at the interview. It will look as if I am not loyal and comfortable at the company. I told my colleague that was considering backing off in the interview so my Oga will not see me. But she said he(Oga) has already seen me. That the name of all the applicants for the job posts had already been submitted to them. Its on their desk at the interview office. And they had already gone through our CVs and documents before we come into the room for the interview. So my Oga don already see my credentials and passport photographs attached to it. My colleague also said that there was CCTV in the interview room. So they were watching us in the waiting room. So what is the need of walking away! Nothing. But my colleague said that my Oga didn’t give the second guy chance to asked her questions. He was just bombarding her with questions like, “What makes you think you are good enough for this company?” “ Why do you want to quit your former place of work?” Hmmmm, I braced myself. My colleague was not happy at all, neither was i. it looked as if our jobs are at stake. The current one we are applying for was not even sure, we don’t even know our fate. “Infact with this my Oga, there was no fate in this,” I thought to myself.

I went back to the waiting room quietly with my confidence, poise smashed. It was almost getting to my turn. The number 11 had gon in.

It got to my turn and I went in. And our eyes met, I and my boss. Chaiiiii, I tried to maintain my cool. I greeted him and the second man. The weird way he was looking at me, it was just scary. Something in me was like, “Guy just forget about your job in that company. Your Oga go sack you.” That eye look that kind that says, “I will finish you.”

The other man asked me to sit and I did. I could see that my Oga was holding my file. I tried to compose myself.

“Why do you want to leave your present job,” was the first question my Oga asked me. As if I wrote that I was presently working CV. But I didn’t. I began feeling uneasy. E be like say na there my downfall go start. I had to choose my words, what I speak and how I do it. The other guy might not understand what was going.

Well I told him that I wanted to test new waters, take up another challenge from another sector.

My Oga--- What kind of challenge? Does it mean you are not comfortable the ones (challenges) at your job before? (my Oga saying it harshly.. chaiii. I don enter am)

The Other man tries to cut in, to talk but Oga told him to wait first so I can answer his questions.
Me – Well, different jobs with different challenges. I love challenges. My current job offers challenges I can bear because they make me better person. But my reason for this job…

My Oga cuts in.

My Oga—Or its not challenging enough or?……
Chaiii. This man was really ready for me. And it’s making me scary and losing control. I just want to be in control of myself. Not to say what I don’t want to say.

Me – Not at all sir. It is challenging and I really loved it and..
My Oga cuts in again
My Oga --- Then why do you want to leave to join this one?

Me – (At this time, I had become confused) In my present job, I am an assistant auditor, but here, I am applying for an assistant financial officer which means I want to swap from that auditoria role to the main financial services role. Not that its not a good job and place but I just want to test another form and sector of the financial service role.

My Oga—Are you just testing or you want to do the job? Are we just here for job testing!

By this time, the other interviewer became interested in what was really going on between me and my Oga. Apparently, he doesn’t know that we know each other. As I was trying to answer the testing question my Oga asked, the second man asked where I currently work because my Oga had been referring to that. I no even know the question wey I wan answer again. My Oga had to intelligently asked the man to wait first so he could finish with me. And my answer to Oga…

Me – I want the Job, I am not testing. I am only referring to the challenges. Me moving from my auditoria role to financial and managerial role.
The Other Interviewer—Hmmmmmmm. You said you are an auditor for ….

As he was asking that, my Oga immediately cuts in.
My Oga --- If this company decides not to hire you, will you still test other companies?

Me – (This man sef) well, I will still remain in my company.
Cuts in……
My Oga --- Remain in your company and looking else were?
As at this time, this man don put me confusion for head. I just felt like leaving the place.
Me – I will stick to my company but still trying out other spheres of financial service roles.
As Oga wants to hit me another question, the other interview asked me to go. Well, I left feeling sad. I don’t know what my fate would be. Maybe I would be sacked in the next couple of days.
When I got home, I was restless. It looked as if one heavy headache came upon me. I couldn’t sleep.
I resumed my job the next day. I had already given up on the interview at the oil company. I felt nothing would make me have it. When I came to the office, I met with my female colleague we had interview together. She herself was restless. I normally report directly to my Oga directly every morning before work starts. That morning I went to his office when he came. I pretended as if nothing happened. Greeted him very well. I had put everything behind me and was ready to take what happens. After greeting, he answered me. Unlike before that he would tease me, he didn’t in this case. Well, me sef no ask him unnecessary questions. We did our usual audits and flows.

Days turned into weeks. I didn’t hear from the oil and gas company. I believed everyone had forgotten what happened during the interview at the oil company. Only for me to come to work one faithful morning and was told that the company was laying off workers. This is a company that has finalized bringing out advert that the are recruiting. How come they are laying off workers. My female colleague that we went to interview at the oil company, she was part of the people that was layed off. They said they were laying off just 8 people from the company and every department must release somebody. The first list in which contains my female colleague has just four people. She wasn’t lucky enough.

So we began waiting for the second list of 4 other persons. Na so fear dey catch me. I felt I was the one going to be discharged in my department.
When the second list came out. No one was dismissed in my department. But rather my Oga retired from the company and I was promoted. I was very happy but I still want the oil and gas job ooo.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1028-shocking-encounter-i-had-meeting-my-oga-where-i-went-for-interview

257 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by bolinchin: 11:52am On Aug 11, 2015
Nice story line

26 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
Wow....lucky you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by UdohOby(f): 12:10pm On Aug 11, 2015
So funny. But na who I go ask nah?

If this is really a true story, then God favoured you wella.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by tobybasten(m): 12:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
Really interesting piece! just like I'm watching a drama

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by abumeinben(m): 1:32pm On Aug 11, 2015
So ur boss has been double-jobbing

27 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by fragrant(f): 1:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
So I actually read it all

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by missKiffy(f): 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2015
Good for you

1 Like

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by chiefololade: 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
Sorry case

But has a happy ending

I hope the next interview won't involve your CEO

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
Bad Market.
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by qualityovenbake(m): 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
Funny story. Are you still interested in the oil and gas industry?, anyway just want to inform you that there is vacancy in one filling station around my area

109 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Shaadey: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
ok
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by BCISLTD: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
cool I'm absolutely sure you didn't answer the questions the way u stated...but you did quite well....

2 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by gen2briz(m): 1:57pm On Aug 11, 2015
Fear not... You're only following your boss footsteps ( double jobbing).

4 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Atlantian: 1:58pm On Aug 11, 2015
The only reason you retain your job is because you are good at what you do. It is against ethics of organizations for you to plan an exit without advising the company to train a replacement.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by skywalker495(m): 1:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
NOTED!

BTW fp tinz cool

1 Like

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by emmykk(m): 1:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Story for the gods.fellow nairalanders if you belive this is Hint magazine things you know what to do.

5 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Holluwatarhyor(m): 1:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Kelechukwu clap for urself,weldone

5 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Swaggzkid: 1:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmmm onismate you get luck pass crayfish,

Your road to success starts, you were born lucky!

I hope you gave God all the Glory?
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by jashar(f): 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
Nice one. But seriously, how do you handle a job interview while working?
What's the best approach? I know people usually lie, but is there a better way to go about it?
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by TeamSimple(m): 2:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
2 - 0 cry Sorry bro..your Boss na westham and you be arsenal.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by magicfingers009: 2:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
Iyaf be for u

Modified.

I commented before I read the story. If I were you, I would let the second interviewer know I know my Boss. "Wow. Mr. Nicholas, its so good to see you here. Intact I'm more confident now for this interview". Him sef no go get himself.

21 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Noblebrown7(m): 2:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
Space booked
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by orekelewa09(f): 2:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
how can I get a job in your company?
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by meshacha1: 2:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
Bad in did
Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
See as the story dey sweet belle

5 Likes

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by free2ryhme: 2:04pm On Aug 11, 2015
grin grin

this your superstory make sense

1 Like

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by mathelo(m): 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
Too lenthy

1 Like

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by ednoville(m): 2:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
in one sentence state a suitable title for this sweet story with a happy ending..... exercise begin

1 Like

Re: Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview by DaBullIT(m): 2:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
This is super stooorryyyy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview / What They Did Not Tell You About Government Job In Nigeria / Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.