Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One (3103 Views)

Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / National Power Grid Collapses, As 4 States Are Now In Total Darkness / Why Is Rivers State Sea Port Underutilised While Lagos Suffers From Congestion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by doncaster(m): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2015
From Grandson Soyemi

In 1976, Niger state split from Sokoto;
In 1991, Kebbi state split from Sokoto;
In 1996, Zamfara state was split from Sokoto.

Niger State consists of twenty-five (25) Local Government Areas; Kebbi State consists of twenty-one (21) Local Government Areas; Zamfara State consists of fourteen (14) Local Government Areas; and Sokoto State consists of twenty-three (23) Local Government Areas. Sokoto, a single state prior to 1976, was divided three times between 1976 and 1996 into four (4) states. These four (4), states have between them 83 Local Governments.

Do note that Lagos state and Sokoto state were the same in 1976 in terms of number of local governments. However, while the Lagos state remains just a state with its original 20 local governments, Sokoto state had been split three times into four (4) states with 83 local governments from its original 20 local governments.

It will interest nobody if Sokoto State is divided into 100 states tomorrow and funded by the income generated from the area only. We are, nevertheless, concerned that, it is the revenues generated from the Yoruba South-West Region that is funding economic growth and development in states like Sokoto and all other Northern states.

Buhari says looters of national resources are to be arraigned shortly. Mr Buhari is just fooling the gullible Yoruba Youths. The looted resources belong to the Yoruba's and the Niger Delta's people and not the whole of Nigeria. He recognizes the fundamental cause of corruption in Nigeria is the unitary constitution of the country. He knows that Hausa/Fulani have looted the resources of the Yoruba's and Niger Delta's people since the suspension of regional government in 1966. But he is running about with lies and propaganda, grandstanding about curbing corruption in Nigeria.

Before Mr Buhari's second coming, we have had Babangida (8yrs); Shonekan (3mth), Abacha (5yrs); Abdulsalam (1yr); Obasanjo (8yrs); Yar'Adua (3yrs); and Jonathan (5yrs), yet corruption hasn't been abated. Why? The section below, which is a portion of the constitution of Nigeria, encourages corruption. Buhari knows this, but he is unwilling to change it because it favours the North:

C - Public Revenue

"162. (1) The Federation shall maintain a special account to be called "the Federation Account" into which shall be paid all revenues collected by the Government of the Federation, except the proceeds from the personal income tax of the personnel of the armed forces of the Federation, the Nigeria Police Force, the Ministry or department of government charged with responsibility for Foreign Affairs and the residents of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) The President, upon the receipt of advice from the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission, shall table before the National Assembly proposals for revenue allocation from the Federation Account, and in determining the formula, the National Assembly shall take into account, the allocation principles, especially those of population, equality of States, internal revenue generation, land mass, terrain as well as population density;"

The past leaders of Nigeria, including Mr Buhari, who were from the North and who divided Sokoto state, a single state prior to 1976, into four (4) states by 1991 and with 83 local governments from merely 20 local governments in 1976, are the looters of Yoruba's and Niger Delta's resources and they are the people who must be prosecuted.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Buhari, who represented the Northern's interests was against Obasanjo's National ID Card scheme in 2003. The card could have curbed corruption and fake population census figures. Today, he is grandstanding about curbing corruption by arresting individuals, without addressing the fundamental causes of corruption. Anyone who believes corrupt Buhari will curb corruption must be crazy. Nigeria's problem isn't corruption. But the unitary system in a multi-ethnic society.

As horrible as Tinubu has become, he will protect and safeguard the interests and welfare of the Yoruba people as Yoruba Regional Premier than 100 Buharis.

God is not crazy. He couldn't have possibly allowed Babangida; Shonekan; Abacha; Abdulsalam; Obasanjo; Yar'Adua; and Jonathan, with none of them able to curb corruption, if indeed our problem is corruption. Nigeria is not just sustainable under a unitary system.

The most corrupt country on earth is the United States. The country still works because it has a sustainable political system. There is nothing like the feeding bottle monthly allocation we have in Nigeria in the United States. The Americans don't have a centralized Police System or Armed Forces. Each state in the United States is in charge of its police, armed forces and other functions.

The United Kingdom is more corrupt than Nigeria, yet the country works. It works because of its enduring political system. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, together called themselves the United Kingdom, yet, they go by different football teams, different police systems, different education policies, different currency designs, different healthcare systems, even with different regimental armed forces.

The demographics of the US Population is often along racial grouping. That of the United Kingdom is based on ethnicity. But in Nigeria, the people are so fake they don't want to openly associate anything with their ethnicity. They named their administrative divisions ridiculous names including South-West, South-South, South-East, North-Central, North-East and North-West geopolitical zones. They are so scared of their own identities, including Yoruba, Ibo, Ijaw, Hausa/Fulani and Kanuri.

Ghana administrative divisions are given such names as Ashanti, Brong-Ahafo, Central, Eastern, Greater Accra, Northern, Upper East and Upper West regions. In South Africa, the administrative divisions are named after the ethnic groups within the country such as the Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Northern Cape.

Nigeria's problem is not corruption. The current unitary system is the cause of our problem. Nigeria must be restructured along regional autonomy or be divided along its natural boundaries. Mr. Buhari must stop insulting our collective intelligence with his stale chrous of corruption, corruption and corruption.

From Grandson Soyemi

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by doncaster(m): 11:16am On Aug 12, 2015
This guy keep making sense. One thing I dislike about him is the treat of violence sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Paschal001: 11:17am On Aug 12, 2015
. Wen this reach FP, I would come n comment
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by INTROVERT(f): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2015
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by doncaster(m): 11:18am On Aug 12, 2015
INTROVERT:

w
Ntooo
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Immanueladebol(m): 11:18am On Aug 12, 2015
D north and their tricky
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Paschal001: 11:18am On Aug 12, 2015
INTROVERT:

w

INTROVERT, ... . Welcome back.. .
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by vikyno(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2015
Why crying over a spilt milk? Where were you when the Yoruba's connived with the North to install a Cattle rearer over this Zoo republic?
It's too late jare.

Take your lamentation to the House of Tinubu, Obasanjo and co.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by hakeem4(m): 11:30am On Aug 12, 2015
Ok
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tucky200(m): 11:35am On Aug 12, 2015
corruption !!
I remember clearly in the past few years when nigerians were screaming corruption has destroyed nigeria,now someone who is fully known for his war against corruption(past administration) and has again clearly shown. full determination towards war against corruption in his first few months in office,suddenly some r£tarded b@stards have started spewing trash just to poison the minds of gullible nigerians...clear reason why naija will never progress.."Nigerians backing up corrupt leaders"

3 Likes

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Udmaster(m): 11:50am On Aug 12, 2015
There was a country- Chinua Achebe

1 Like

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
tucky200:
corruption !!
I remember clearly in the past few years when nigerians were screaming corruption has destroyed nigeria,now someone who is fully known for his war against corruption(past administration) and has again clearly shown. full determination towards war against corruption in his first few months in office,suddenly some retarded b@stards have started spewing trash just to poison the minds of gullible nigerians...the thunder wey go fire una still dey do press up for mountain kilimanjaro
Your hypocrite of a President should probe all past officials including IBB. He has enough probe reports to help him, he should implement them. Shikenna

5 Likes

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tucky200(m): 12:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
barcanista:

Your hypocrite of a President should probe all past officials including IBB. He has enough probe reports to help him, he should implement them. Shikenna
You of all people should knw he is got only 4 years,u do not expect him to focus on corruption only,ur role model messed up nigeria,he is got a. Lot of work @ hand

2 Likes

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by ZKOSOSO(m): 12:07pm On Aug 12, 2015
OP u made my day!
Even Kabiru my debtor is pardoned for today!

I think say I be d only Sensor of Northernisation barometer ----- alas dis OP na boss!!
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
tucky200:

You of all people should knw he is got only 4 years,u do not expect him to focus on corruption only,ur role model messed up nigeria,he is got a. Lot of work @ hand
If he's not ready to probe the past then he isn't ready to fight corruption. Perhaps, he's hiding something from us

5 Likes

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tucky200(m): 12:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
barcanista:

If he's not ready to probe the past then he isn't ready to fight corruption. Perhaps, he's hiding something from us
Lol,what stopped jona from probing his predecessor,what stopped obj from probing abdul sallam's govt ?what stopped abdul sallam from probing abacha's govt,what's stopped abacha from probing shonekan and ibb.....he is one of the few leaders who's rady to probe his predecessor....it's best we support him..and the next leader shouldn't hesitate in probing this same man's govt

3 Likes

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by bugzbunny: 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
The south west is not complaining so far its frm the masters up north...
All they want is igbos to leave lagos
Without endorsing biafra..
Not knwing dat u can't deport someone within his country
I hereby call on gud yorubas to endorse biafra..
Imagine a wonderful lagos witout igbos..
Biafra is the best for all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2015
@Op, I think another factor to consider is Land Mass. Sokoto had land mass before the split, and even after. Even now, you can still get up to four states the size of Lagos from the current Sokoto state (by land mass, looking at the map). I like to think that some of these splits are necessitated by the need for administrative conveniences and not just revenue matters. My thinking is as a layman(looking at the map of Nigeria), I stand to be corrected.

4 Likes

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by talk2riel: 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2015
doncaster:
From Grandson Soyemi

Nigeria's problem is not corruption. The current unitary system is the cause of our problem. Nigeria must be restructured along regional autonomy or be divided along its natural boundaries. Mr. Buhari must stop insulting our collective intelligence with his stale chrous of corruption, corruption and corruption.

From Grandson Soyemi

We as a people can only realize our true potential unless the option of regionalism is adopted.
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tomakint: 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
Another thought-provoking masterpiece lined with perspicuous analyses and objective premises. To my fellow Nairalanders and Nigerians, I made bold to say that the only devil living with us from inception is Undiluted Gross Favourtism (UGF), perpetrated first by the Northern Oligarchy that eventually breeds the monster - corruption! A man who craves to satisfy his wife and children at all cost, will definitely loot himself to stupor if privileged to head a money-spinning venture. Well done!

1 Like

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by bugzbunny: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
vikyno:
Why crying over a spilt milk? Where were you when the Yoruba's connived with the North to install a Cattle rearer over this Zoo republic?
It's too late jare.

Take your lamentation to the House of Tinubu, Obasanjo and co.
No mind them jare
The north keep dominating the senate
Lagos ought to be three states considering her population
The south east with only five states
When the foundation is wrong
The whole house will collapse.....
A country builltt on lies

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2015
Which Yoruba is feeding Nigeria? And yes based on landmass sokoto should be divided into ten when compared with Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by ZKOSOSO(m): 12:42pm On Aug 12, 2015
Acheme86:
@Op, I think another factor to consider is Land Mass. Sokoto had land mass before the split, and even after. Even now, you can still get up to four states the size of Lagos from the current Sokoto state (by land mass, looking at the map). I like to think that some of these splits are necessitated by the need for administrative conveniences and not just revenue matters. My thinking is as a layman(looking at the map of Nigeria), I stand to be corrected.

Land mass is nothing. Go to Niger republic and Mali. Hausafulani are always about lies, deception and domination. What is coming out the so called landmass that can be use to finance the 4 states of sokoto? Nothing!
Take away hausafulanis Nigeria would be more than Dubai and Singapore in development indices

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by kettykings: 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2015
I never knew all this while that sokoto was funded from resources from Lagos state all these while I thought it was niger delta resources that is being used to fund the north.
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by AnambraDota: 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2015

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
@OP: Have you every been to these child state from SOKOTO. Even after splitting, the present SOKOTO is still much 4x bigger than lagos. Infact, within Kebbi state you can do 6hr drive non stop from one LGA to another. e.g AILERO - NGASKI or YAURI OR DANKO WASAGU or even ZURU.
FROM FUNTUA to SOKOTO Can take you like 4hrs non stop. not to mention SOKOTO to KOTANGORA in Niger state.

I think it is necessary due to some reasons like administrative.

1 Like

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
tucky200:

If good luck messed up Nigeria, what did buhari(1983 - 1985) do to Nigeria, what did obj, abacha, babangida, Obasanjo do to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
tucky200:
corruption !!
I remember clearly in the past few years when nigerians were screaming corruption has destroyed nigeria,now someone who is fully known for his war against corruption(past administration) and has again clearly shown. full determination towards war against corruption in his first few months in office,suddenly some r£tarded b@stards have started spewing trash just to poison the minds of gullible nigerians...clear reason why naija will never progress.."Nigerians backing up corrupt leaders"

Corruption cannot fight corruption
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tucky200(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
chuna1985:

If good luck messed up Nigeria, what did buhari(1983 - 1985) do to Nigeria, what did obj, abacha, babangida, Obasanjo do to Nigeria
please enlighten me about buhari's regime
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tucky200(m): 1:15pm On Aug 12, 2015
AnambraDota:
na you be that
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by truefact: 1:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
Land mass is not population....states are created and structured using its population data, not land mass....

The truth is that the North sees the south as slaves and fuuls...
Re: Sokoto And Her 4 States While Lagos Is Still One by tucky200(m): 1:18pm On Aug 12, 2015
ZKOSOSO:

Land mass is nothing. Go to Niger republic and Mali. Hausafulani are always about lies, deception and domination. What is coming out the so called landmass that can be use to finance the 4 states of sokoto? Nothing!
Take away hausafulanis Nigeria would be more than Dubai and Singapore in development indices
Fuul !!
How many hausa fulani's have ruled nigeria ??

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Oil Tycoon Olajide Omokore / Petrol Won’t Sell Above N100 Without Subsidy –ibe Kachikwu / (must See Pic)the Currency Of A Lost Republic. Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.