Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages (854 Views)

Arrest & Present Ibrahim Magu, EFCC Boss, Before November 7 - Reps Order / Reps Order Banks To Unfreeze Patience Jonathan's Accounts / Reps Bill To Prohibit Unsolicited Text & Calls Passes 2nd Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, has been asked to halt some unfair practices being perpetrated by mobile telecommunication service providers in the country.

This directive was handed down on Wednesday by the House of Representatives, citing what the Honourable Members called the increasing cases of “unsolicited caller tunes” and text messages to subscribers by service providers as one example that the NCC must stop immediately.

The lawmakers also observed that the caller tunes and promotional text messages were not only unsolicited but also carried charges, noting that such charges were deducted from the airtime of subscribers in most cases without their knowledge.

Hon. Ali Madaki, APC-Kano, who moved the motion, told the House: “In the recent past, mobile telephone service providers in Nigeria started charging their subscribers for caller tunes unsolicited in contravention of the NCC Act, 2003.”

According to him, he once took his phone to a service provider’s office in Kano to have an unsolicited caller tune cancelled and his money returned, adding that a few days later, another embarrassing caller tune played on his phone.

“Mr. Speaker, they played a caller tune, ‘My Sweetie, my lover’.

“It is immoral to do such a thing by sending such tunes to subscribers who did not subscribe to them,” Madaki added.

House Majority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, in his own contribution, described such acts carried out by service providers as “harassment and invasion of privacy”, reminding the House that besides the powers conferred on NCC by the enabling Act, there were laws that guaranteed the privacy of Nigerians.

Citing section 37 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), Gbajabiamila noted that when the privacy of individuals was invaded, they could seek the protection of the law.

“If you invade my telephone with unsolicited information, there should be a penalty for it,” he said.

Hon. Tajudeen Yusuf, PDP-KOGI, drew the attention of members to another instance of “deceiving” subscribers to participate in promotions with promises of non-existing prizes.
“People buy airtime and soon realise that the entire money is taken.
“This is illegal and it must stop,” he added.

The resolution was passed in unanimous voice vote at the session presided over by the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara.

http://dailypost.ng/2015/08/12/reps-order-ncc-to-stop-unsolicited-caller-tunes-messages/
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by CallPolice: 6:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
Good

It is very disturbing.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by midolian(m): 6:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
Yes o! Its hightime. I guess the reps are also tired of it grin

1 Like

Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by sluk(m): 6:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
Nice one there

1 Like

Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Smooyis(m): 6:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
The yes have it. Seems we are going to have a masses national assembly this time. Kudos
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by EdCure: 6:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
Jonathan failed to do anything to curb the excesses of these telecom companies. He was only busy looting.

With the progress made, and people-oriented policies formulated by this present administration barely 2 months after inauguration, it is safe to say that Nigeria had no functional or responsive government throught the Jonathan years of waste.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 12, 2015
Since all these years of this annoying thing, anyways, better late than never. Everyone is sitting tight and working now.The change we crave for is here! God bless President Buhari.......... Addendum: lol@ my sweetie, my lover tune! Guess some of them will be shaking to the rhythm when the Honourable was saying that!!
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Demmocrats(m): 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
God bless you guys, the mobile networks have turned into pest
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
I hope it's fully implemented! MTN unsolicited messages drain my battery faster than BBM or WhatsApp chats!

Seems this 8th NASS ain't there to collect just wardrobe allowance only, they also mean business!!!
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 6:49pm On Aug 12, 2015
Good move.

All the network providers are guilty of this.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
midolian:
Yes o! Its hightime. I guess the reps are also tired of it grin

Midolian, where ya friend oremus sanctus?
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by midolian(m): 7:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

Midolian, where ya friend oremus sanctus?
hin don delete that account. He now uses a new one. grin
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by wordcat(m): 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2015
This is one of the reasons we were happy when Tinubu failed to install his stooges in the National Assembly
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Rilwayne001: 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2015
That will a great development. Atleast I'll be free of those shenanigans from those crook called MT-HEN.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by ki02020(m): 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2015
wordcat:
This is one of the reasons we were happy when Tinubu filed to install his stooges in the National Assembly

Your writeup makes no sense....am sure your intention was to write failed and up ended up writting filed....badbelle dey kill undecided
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by wordcat(m): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
ki02020:

Your writeup makes no sense....am sure your intention was to write failed and up ended up writting filed....badbelle dey kill undecided

Hehehehe nothing like bad belle there man,
Thanks for the correction anyway
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by BCISLTD: 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
If this happens. .I'm voting for APC again

(1) (Reply)

Gov Wike's Men Begin Squandering / Photos: Adams Oshiomhole And His Wife At US Event Yesterday / Alhaji Lai Muhammed And The Burden Of Being Too Good At Your Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.