Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,047 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (46131 Views)

12 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad / 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad [photos] / 15 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 7:39pm On Aug 13, 2015
Depending on your location, you might or might not miss these foods you the OP just listed. I don't cos that's all I eat and can tolerate. Nigerian food

All these food and foodstuff can be bought. Albeit a bit expensive. But it's there. So I don't think I am missing anything.

I have gotten fresh snails in at the African Produce Store in Los Angeles and at an Asian grocery store in Fresno. even bought Milo and Nido milk at Walmart in Arkansas. I've bought correct Kulikuli and Garri Ijebu at one Lagos International Market in Denver. All those Nigerian kinds of fishes (alaran, panla and all) I get from the Asian grocery stores. There is even a guy here that will sell you a whole goat. He kills it, removes the hair, cuts it up and brings it to your house. All for $300 or thereabout. You go chop am tire

I buy fresh made suya, real mallam style in Houston. Anybody that knows Ahmed in Houston will know he makes bad-ass suya. Finger Licking in Houston and Mama Vero in LA sells good food too.

Vallarta Supermarkets carry lots of food. I buy fresh cowleg, Panla fish (they will even fry it for you sef) grin, beef, cowhead, Tatase, Rodo, Fanta and Coke(the kind in bottles like Naija own), fresh Catfish for nice spicy catfish peppersoup, crab, crayfish, Shaki, Roundabout, liver and all. Mexican cuisine is similar to ours

Farmer's market... the one around Finger Licking in Houston has anything you can possibly look for. Suya spice (I make suya well well), Custard, Yam, Plantain, Eko (the ones Ibo people call agidi), fresh Naija style bread (they sell those too in Kroger), Oloyin Beans, Yam flour, Semo, Poundo Yam, Noodles (Nigerian ones and not Ramen Noodles o), Ata Gbigbe, Naija Biscuits all sorts mehn. Enter there and you will be transported to Nigeria immediately. Make I even see if i fit find pictures sef.

Sorry for the long story, I love food ni grin grin The first thing I look for when I go to a new city is an African Restaurant or store.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by juman(m): 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
okedoyinolabisi:
wow...these are real naija delicacies

grin grin

No place like home.

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
22. Ijebu Garri and Groundnut

Nothing is as soothing as taking Garri and Groundnut with chilled water in the afternoon. The combination gives a kind of fulfilment that only a true Nigerian can understand.

When you take Garri and groundnut isn’t there, it just feels wrong.

Source: http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/22-foods-nigerians-miss-most-while-living-abroad/
grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Swaggzkid: 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
Most of these African delicacies can also be found abroad now

Haven't anyone heard of African kitchen? At 102 Drummond Street, Euston, London NW1 2HN
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by ovie8200: 7:41pm On Aug 13, 2015
I don't know what kind of abroad u live but all this things u measured are available here in NYC. So don't try to play fool or smart.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Ilekeh(f): 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
BabyDaddy20:

You're so correct.
Why do they get the false information from ??
Even in Tennessee you can buy Nigerian foods.

My brother, na so!
Can't wait for friday. kiss
Crawfishhh

[img]https://cravedfw.files./2012/03/cajun_crawfish_boil.jpg[/img]
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by stchinedu: 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
Op mind urself o. grin
Even here in naija, you don dey make me salivate tongue
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nig4Greatness: 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
OP, have you been to abroad before you know these listed items are not found there ?.of course,they are there though very expensive because people import these stuffs to sell here but as for 13&14 ,you can do that on your own here.only no.16 gala have not seen here but they have their own version of that.so nearly everything you listed are here.
Next time do your research well.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by GboGboAye: 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
7. Adalu

Adalu is a combination of beans and corn, cooked together with flavourful seasoning and spices.

Most Nigerians ate lots of this delicious meal when growing up, so they have deep love for it.
I don't know about the "deep love" part oh
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by luthorcorp: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
the creator of this trend should be starved for one month without water too

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
Issorite ;DIssorite
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by networkgenuis: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
I can give an arm for suya or kilishi cry
I can kill for fresh fish pepper soup. cry cry
I can commit suicide for vegetable soup garnished with stock fish, pomo, dry fish and shaki cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
Anty, what about corn and pear? Oka nah Ube?
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Ilekeh(f): 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:
All these can be bought. Albeit a bit expensive. But it's there. So I don't think I am missing anything. They even sell snails here, all those Nigerian kinds of fishes (alaran, panla and all), Suya is easy to get sef.

Got packs of snails in my freezer right now. grin
Once my internship is over on Friday, it's all ballz out! Gonna cook my snails and ponmo grin
Still got fridge piled with Nigerian food my mom cooked when she visited. kiss
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
Most of these meals I'm only seeing them for the first time.

The only thing I really missed when outside the country was pounded yam, fufu and finally suya. I craved star beer madly because the whiteman's beer was just too weak.
Thankfully there were enough restaurants where these were made available.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by netguru1990: 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
( grin

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 13, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Op.
Stop disgracing yourself, you haven't been abroad.
You can even get Nigerian food down south in North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee.
Go hide stupid ass.
Stop jor. Leh me do you beta yarn
- it will not be as good as it will be in Naija
- You don't get it as easily as will in Naija
- it will be more expensive
Because of these you won't get it as frequently cheaply and easily as you would in Naija. So, I think adeh is still right. You miss 'em sometimes.

2 Likes

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by GboGboAye: 7:46pm On Aug 13, 2015
huangcheng:
Op enough!!!!!!! angry See as i dey swallow spit.
LOL grin grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
charix:
Most of these meals I'm only seeing them for the first time.

The only thing I really missed when outside the country was pounded yam, fufu and finally suya. I craved star beer madly because the whiteman's beer was just too weak.
Thankfully there were enough restaurants where these were made available.

Lol i agree with the bolded.

Most African stores sell naija beer thou. I have started making my suya myself.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
Ilekeh:

My brother, na so!
Can't wait for friday. kiss
Crawfishhh

[img]https://cravedfw.files./2012/03/cajun_crawfish_boil.jpg[/img]

Wow
Op. You have not done your research well. Visit the food thread. "Prepare your meal, take a picture and post the pics."

You will see what Amis,Cococandy, Ewuro4 are enjoying despite they are abroad. They cook most of the food on your list themselves, even those not on the list that you had think is not readily available.

It's just like saying that cute ladies are rare on Nairaland because they hardly comment. when you have Softysparky, Rolly83, Amis.et al

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by rhymesteey(f): 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
Even aboki dey ur street dey roast suya abi mtcheewwww...
BabyDaddy20:
This is a false assumption.
We get everything here, we miss nothing.
I buy garri, pap, egusi, ogbono, red oi, stock fish here in America.
The only things we miss are fruits such as Mango, udala. All other fruits are here.
We miss breadfruit a lot ( UKWA), i can spend $ 1000,on it just to have it here.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by ronald4lif(m): 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
Tydies:
Anty, what about corn and pear? Oka nah Ube?

I can bet roasted corn and pear can't be found anywhere in the Western world. I challenge anyone to own up if they sell it in their location. grin

2 Likes

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Aminat508(f): 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
networkgenuis:
I can commit suicide for vegetable soup garnished with stock fish, pomo, dry fish and shaki cry cry cry
tongue tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Ilekeh:

Got packs of snails in my freezer right now. grin
Once my internship is over on Friday, it's all ballz out! Gonna cook my snails and ponmo grin
Still got fridge piled with Nigerian food my mom cooked when she visited. kiss
Tell them jare. I jammed snails at the Produce Row in LA, I shock! cheesy I pack ehn. Lol. Giant stock fish nko? I don't eat foreign food, I only eat Nigerian so I do not miss the food one bit. grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Ola17: 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
networkgenuis:
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Efere AFANG
Efere NKONG
Edikan ikong
ATAMA
Ekpang nkukwo
Oto mboro
If you miss those
You are a living dead!

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Wukari(m): 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
you have done justice, this is all rounder

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by bqlekan(m): 7:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
Hehe... I never travel now.. sad how I wan take know
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Chaleeee: 7:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
I eat naija food on weekends because I willl have to make them myself. But whenever I want food fast, na pizza or 1 big mac, chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce with limitless Dr Pepper cool
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by easydone: 7:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
Yes you can but its very expensive. Buying chicken, cereals and soups are far cheaper, na on special occasion we dey spend money arrange Naija food o.
Yevgeny:
As far as i know. You can get all these food anywhere abroad.

3 african stores on my street alone. In fact most Nigerians i know eat this kind of meals daily. Even those that have never been to Nigeria before

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by sonnie10: 7:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:

Tell them jare. I jammed snails at the Produce Row in LA, I shock! cheesy I pack ehn. Lol. Giant stock fish nko? I don't eat foreign food, I only eat Nigerian so I do not miss the food one bit. grin

Them say Nigerian foods make one fat but you don't look fat in the picture. Who make I believe now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pictures Taken At Jollof Festival In Lagos / Do You Remeber This Drinks ? If Yes Which One Os Your Favorite? / Big Python And Bush Meat Killed By Me And My Friends.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.