Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) (42458 Views)

Bridge At Ojota, Lagos Has No Rails. Death Trap For Students & Passersby (Pics) / This Pedestrian Bridge In Onitsha Has Become A Death Trap / The Death Trap Called Abuja-Okene-Benin Highway (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by ionsman: 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
Splashme:
That road is still in top shape and together with the Kubwa 10-lanes expressway remains the best superhighways in Nigeria - courtesy of GEJ

The portion the first two pictures are taken from is not the expressway itself bu the T-junction leading to Idu and CITEC-Mbora
Let thunder fire anyone that sees blue and calls it black.

1 Like

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Icecomrade: 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2015
FERMA. Look into this
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by osimataylor(m): 3:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
Thanks for the information.Fools on Nairaland post mischiveous items to attract foolish comments from their fellow hate rage infested fools.
Splashme:
That road is still in top shape and together with the Kubwa 10-lanes expressway remains the best superhighways in Nigeria - courtesy of GEJ

The portion the first two pictures are taken from is not the expressway itself bu the T-junction leading to Idu and CITEC-Mbora
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Happiness87(f): 3:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
1toRtoiSe1:
we will blame the Clueless one for giving the contract to his crook cronies and getting kickbacks.

Clueless man.
you are very silly, was Gej the president in 2009, or was he the minister of works, was he the one that awarded the Project to julius Berger.

Have you travelled out of your village before, who told you the pictures you are seeing are the mentioned roads

your bitterness will send you to grave if you don't repent.
keep allowing paid media group to masturbate your indomie brain
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
Abagworo:

Julius Berger of course. They built most of our failed highways from independence.
Nigerians have no direct dealing with Julius Berger, but the government that awarded the contract. Do you know the terms of the contract that your are opt to blame Julius Berger?
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by kulobyno: 3:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
GEJ total failure is legendary and no longer news
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by gbishman: 3:08pm On Aug 14, 2015
Wow, I never realised Julius berger could allow theiir be tarnished this way what a shame.
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by ronald4lif(m): 3:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
This is bad. From recent experience the road seems great with no traffic as it was the case before. This spoils wasn't even noticeable.

This has nothing to do with GEJ. The management of Julius Berger should be solely held responsible for this. It's not every thing that should be politicise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by shegsrules(m): 3:11pm On Aug 14, 2015
If only d government can make it mandatory that d construction firms also maintain such roads 4 alis 3 or 4yrs b4 ferma takes ova e go make sense
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
triplewisdom:
They will now blame GEJ for not physically inspecting the materials used for the road construction.

Berger is known for quality work, some thing is obviously wrong here, I know Berger started the job, but am doubtful if they completed it, the job must have been given to mama p.
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by adesegun121(m): 3:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
Ok
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Demdem(m): 3:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
When did Julius Berger start doing sub-standard job?

2 Likes

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Happiness87(f): 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
ionsman:

Let thunder fire anyone that sees blue and calls it black.
yes S s o o, esp those who have not been to Abuja before not to talk of using the road, yet come here to blame GEJ.

thunder go fire him families too

1 Like

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by ionsman: 3:17pm On Aug 14, 2015
Happiness87:
yes S s o o, esp those who have not been to Abuja before not to talk of using the road, yet come here to blame GEJ.

thunder go fire him families too
Ode.....I am in abuja as I speak to.

I just passed papa's ground at kubwa.

Mumu...

1 Like

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Akinz0126(m): 3:18pm On Aug 14, 2015
Chai 59b and the road became a death trap Just like that.
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 14, 2015
dridowu:
The 10-lane Abuja Airport Expressway commissioned by former President Goodluck Jonathan at the twilight of his administration on 7, May 2015, is gradually giving way, and becoming a death trap for road users.
Julius Berger was awarded N59 billion in 2009 for the expansion of the road from four to 10 lanes by the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) and the Federal Capital Development Agency (FCDA).
Barely three months after its formal commissioning by Jonathan, the road is gradually giving way with erosion creating huge craters at the shoulders while potholes are emerging at different points of the expressway.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/08/13/n59bn-abuja-airport-expressway-becoming-a-death-trap/

[size=18pt]Waoh! So GEJ actually expanded the road from 4 to 10 lanes? I thought he did NOTHING grin grin grin[/size]
[size=18pt]APC Jokers have been Masturbating since creation[/size]

3 Likes

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Happiness87(f): 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Not only in Nigeria.
We have the worst roads in Alabama USA, that Abuja road is even in a good condition.

Now, blame Obama for the bad roads.
Foolish Nigerians
i tire for all these GEJ -HATERS
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by InvertedHammer: 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
BabyDaddy20:

Maybe i need to show you some roads in berks county Pennsylvania built in 2009 that is now totally decayed.
/
I like the folks that search out for bad things all over the world to show that Nigerians are not the only victims.

Perhaps, it will be worthwhile to search out the good things too to show that Nigerians are living it up.

Naira is falling, they will tell you that Zimbabwe is worse
Bad roads, they tell you that Chicago and Alabama are worse off

Good healthcare, sanitation, thriving economy, low unemployment; none of you will be seen to vomit the comparative thrash.

What is good is good. What is bad is bad.

\
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Happiness87(f): 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
ionsman:

Ode.....I am in abuja as I speak to.

I just passed papa's ground at kubwa.

Mumu...
ode!!!

ewu, did I argue that you are living in ABj,

kindly get to the roads and take pictures and upload here, lets see if airport road is what Op posted
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by onelife97: 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Not only in Nigeria.
We have the worst roads in Alabama USA, that Abuja road is even in a good condition.

Now, blame Obama for the bad roads.
Foolish Nigerians

Smh for you one of the wailing wailers.
We are talking about NGN59,000,000,000 of public fund,that just got wasted in matter of weeks and you are comparing a bushy part of Amerijandon to Airport Express of the Federal Capital Territory of the Great Nigeria.Giant of mother Africa.
You should be shot in the thigh so that u can become a sudden "atiro" and learn a lesson not to support mediocrity next time.Ode.

No offeinse.
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by nwadiuko1(m): 3:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
Litmus:
I saw a documentary some years ago , can't remember the name, but it was about roads built in America in the 1920's or so that are still in perfect conditions today. Upshot is, roads can last long. Roads built in Nigeria are deliberately substandard for the purpose of generating contractors money, climate has little to do with it.

I haven't a clue about road building so don't laugh when i suggest maybe we should construct our roads using steel sheets. Expensive in the short term but money saving long term. Just think, roadside sellers would be able to roast yam and plantain on the surface for free and dogs and madmen would think twice before scampering across roads causing nuisance. grin
what of our tires? grin
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by EDWARD4119(m): 3:24pm On Aug 14, 2015
NIGERIANS CAN PLAY WITH FIGURES..
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by ionsman: 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
Happiness87:
ode!!!

ewu, did I argue that you are living in ABj,

kindly get to the roads and take pictures and upload here, lets see if airport road is what Op posted

Yea. As your messenger, I should go back to snap the pictures so you verify. Take a flight and come to Abuja,and confirm it.

I know you can afford it.
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
An one hooligan, oh sorry, I mean one Governor in SS (rivers state) is celebrating that he employed the services of Julius berger to patch streets in PH.

3 Likes

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Sagamite(m): 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
Litmus:
I saw a documentary some years ago , can't remember the name, but it was about roads built in America in the 1920's or so that are still in perfect conditions today. Upshot is, roads can last long. Roads built in Nigeria are deliberately substandard for the purpose of generating contractors money, climate has little to do with it.

I haven't a clue about road building so don't laugh when i suggest maybe we should construct our roads using steel sheets. Expensive in the short term but money saving long term. Just think, roadside sellers would be able to roast yam and plantain on the surface for free and dogs and madmen would think twice before scampering across roads causing nuisance. grin

I have postulated a solution I conjured up to stop this scam.

Obviously this is another criminal project and contract Julius Berger is involved in.

I know when infrastructure is built in the UK, the standard lifespan expected and accepted before any major overhaul or replacement is for it to last 60 years.

60 fcking years.

So all planning must ensure it is designed and built in such a way it is adequate, reliable and relevant for at least about 40 years with only bog standed minor maintenance undertaken in those periods. After 60 years, they tend to replace it with something new and more modern.

To stop this scam, if I was in government, I would ensure for all these kind of projects, cost of building plus the average annual repair cost for about 10 years and margin profit are in the bid. And all paid to the awarded engineering firm at the beginning.

So for the next 10 years, any major maintenance that is required for the road is done by the engineering firm. So they don't think they can do a bad road for huge sums only to come back to make more money through maintenance.

So any pothole that comes up after 12 months, it is repaired by them at no extra cost to the government. Obviously, their bid must come with an insurance policy too, so if the company folds up in those 10 years, then insurance would refund the government with the money paid in advance for maintenance.

If they perform well, you renew that maintenance contract for another 10 years. Any company that does not perform well in maintaining the road in those 10 years is replaced by another for the next 10 years. The poor performing engineering firm is then banned from bidding for any new government work during the next 10 years.

They can also be replaced after 10 years even if they are performing well but a rival provides a more competitive bid (e.g. lower price) for the maintenance. But they will not be banned for this.

Then we will start having roads that last 30-60 years.

That is my way of stopping this scam.

cc: MKO4ever

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by 989900: 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
Roads (actually all projects) need to be maintained well after construction is complete, this is what I've seen sensible countries do for their major highways.

Maintenance say for 10 years.
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 14, 2015
And one hooligan, oh sorry, I mean one Governor in SS (rivers state) is celebrating that he employed the services of Julius berger to patch streets in PH.

2 Likes

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by sammieblaize: 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2015
triplewisdom:
They will now blame GEJ for not physically inspecting the materials used for the road construction.
guy why are you like this... undecided

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by 989900: 3:33pm On Aug 14, 2015
Sagamite:

I have postulated a solution I conjured up to stop this scam.

Obviously this is another criminal project and contract Julius Berger is involved in.

I know when infrastructure is built in the UK, the standard lifespan expected and accepted before any major overhaul or replacement is for it to last 60 years.

60 fcking years.

So all planning must ensure it is designed and built in such a way it is adequate, reliable and relevant for at least about 40 years with only bog standed minor maintenance undertaken in those periods. After 60 years, they tend to replace it with something new and more modern.

To stop this scam, if I was in government, I would ensure for all these kind of projects' cost of building plus the average annual repair cost for about 10 years and margin profit are in the bid. And all paid to the awarded engineering firm at the beginning.

So for the next 10 years, any major maintenance that is required for the road is done by the engineering firm. So they don't think they can do a bad road for huge sums only to come back to make more money through maintenance.

So any porthole that comes up after 12 months, it is repaired by them at no extra cost to the government. Obviously, their bid must come with an insurance policy too, so if the company folds up in those 10 years, then insurance would refund the government with the money paid in advance for maintenance.

If they perform well, you renew that maintenance contract for another 10 years. Any company that does not perform well in maintaining the road in those 10 years is replaced after by another for the next 10 years. The poor performing engineering firm is then banned from bidding for any new government work during the next 10 years.

They can also be replaced after 10 years even if they are performing well but a rival provides a more competitive bid (e.g. lower price) for the maintenance. But they will not be banned for this.

Then we will start having roads that last 30-60 years.

That is my way of stopping this scam.

cc: MKO4ever

Oh, we were both thinking the same thing same time.

I think the politicians don't like this idea -- less money to steal for phoney projects in their myopic silly mind.

1 Like

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by piagetskinner(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2015
We cannot blame buhari on this one.. So Blame GEJ and Julius berger
Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2015
See the tiny portholes you guys are complaining of, please come to warri and see REAL portholes

Tiny or large, portholes in Nigerian roads are unacceptable!

2 Likes

Re: N59bn Abuja Airport Expressway Becoming A Death Trap (Pics) by eleko1: 3:37pm On Aug 14, 2015
embarassed shocked sad .Thank God,we kicked the thief outa the govt.If not,they'll still award anoda contract for the same road.PMB,abeg,recover all the looted money/show no mercy to those thieves.Anybody that come to beg U on behalf of those irresponsible TAN,release DSS/EFCC to chase them angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Omoyele Sowore: "Dino Melaye Connived With His Former HOD To Get Discharged" / Army Kills Ameer Abubakar Gana, Boko Haram Leader And 18 Members / Nigerian Air: FG Spent N190bn On Ethiopian Aircraft Photoshoot- Peter Okoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.