Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,717 members, 7,820,500 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? (3035 Views)

Dew Bottled Water Causing Deaths In Nigeria? HOAX / DEW Bottled Water Fatal Poisoning Hoax / I Am Obsessed With consuming sand!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:10am On Mar 25, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Water treatment plant?
If it works well, then docs would advice us to drink tap water.
we wnt need to boil it b4 we drink it tongue

Not a waste of money na

Some states that add fluoride to it's water doctors actually do advise children to drink tap water.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 2:29am On Mar 25, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Some states that add fluoride to it's water doctors actually do advise children to drink tap water.
From a LongHorn, wetin dey know? tongue
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:36am On Mar 25, 2009
Hold up! hold up!! hold up!!! are you trying to diss Texas ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 2:40am On Mar 25, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Hold up! hold up!! hold up!!! are you trying to diss Texas ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Excuse me. . . . .I'm not trying to diss them, I AM dissing them tongue
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:44am On Mar 25, 2009
You are in for a Texas style a$$ whooping girl angry angry angry

SOMEBODY PLS COME AND HOLD ME BEFORE I DO DAMAGE TO THIS GIRL shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 2:45am On Mar 25, 2009
OgidiBoy:

You are in for a Texas style a$$ whooping girl angry angry angry

SOMEBODY PLS COME AND HOLD ME BEFORE I DO DAMAGE TO THIS GIRL shocked shocked shocked
Lol, wetin you go do?

Try to tie me with a cowboy's rope? cheesy cheesy

Stop hugging the pole and do something tongue
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Epi: 1:19pm On Mar 25, 2009
@Poster

I keep the gallon jug water in the fridge

Bottle water for when I am going out or if I am lazy to pour some water in a glass. Trust me, i am always lazy grin grin
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 27, 2009
epi:

Trust me, i am always lazy grin grin
nawa o
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 2:34am On Mar 29, 2009
So no NLer fit aswer my question?

Oga o
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Hauwa1: 6:08pm On Mar 29, 2009
the only bottled water am crazy abt is Poland Spring. that water taste so so good waterwise. a lady from canada (shared dorm room with her) first introm me to Poland spring. whenever her parents are coming to visit her, they come with huge load. with time i started giving her money to get me some. now i cant do without it.

Poland Spring is not common in stores like dear park why?

water good, drink my sister. as long as it is poland spring, no wahala.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 29, 2009
*Hauwa*:

the only bottled water am crazy abt is Poland Spring. that water taste so so good waterwise. a lady from canada (shared dorm room with her) first introm me to Poland spring. whenever her parents are coming to visit her, they come with huge load. with time i started giving her money to get me some. now i cant do without it.

Poland Spring is not common in stores like dear park why?

water good, drink my sister. as long as it is poland spring, no wahala.
Thanks o, but I've never heard of poland spring.

I'm more into Aquafina.

Have you tasted Vitamin Water? Mehn, I stopped drinking that when they started this rumor about it making women infertile.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Hauwa1: 2:36am On Mar 30, 2009
no i have not tasted that. i pass all those 'companies take ya monies' by grin
i don't like them not even soft drinks (only ginger ale the old fashion ones taste a bit like niaja ginger ale). poland spring ok, aquafina ok then when am broke, dear park grin
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Sissy3(f): 3:09am On Mar 30, 2009
i don't think there is anything wrong with bottled waters just that some of them are not fluoridated and not highly regulated such as tap water that comes from the municipal. and the taste might vary depending on where the water comes from. if there where problems the FDA could have probably warned the public ( at least they try). but i don't think reusing the bottle is safe.

me sef, i like FIJI artesian water tongue
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by DeReloaded: 3:20am On Mar 30, 2009
Depends on the brand.

Evian is pure but it's expensive.

Dasani adds sodium to make you more thirsty

Aquafina is glorified tap water.

I stick with Poland Spring.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 3:39am On Mar 30, 2009
I already know something is up with Dasani. It has an after taste. yuch.

Are you kidding me about Aqua? Hmm, walmart, here I come.

~Sissy~:

i don't think there is anything wrong with bottled waters just that some of them are not fluoridated and not highly regulated such as tap water that comes from the municipal. and the taste might vary depending on where the water comes from. if there where problems the FDA could have probably warned the public ( at least they try). but i don't think reusing the bottle is safe.

me sef, i like FIJI artesian water tongue
ehrrrm ehrrrm, I would think they'd be purified, so na tap water I've being drinking? oh hell!
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Sissy3(f): 4:50am On Mar 30, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

I already know something is up with Dasani. It has an after taste. yuch.

Are you kidding me about Aqua? Hmm, walmart, here I come.
ehrrrm ehrrrm, I would think they'd be purified, so na tap water I've being drinking? oh hell!

yeah, Aquafina and Dasani are both made from "purified" water sourced from public reservoirs, but then who is really sure of their "purification" undecided

i think you should try FIJI water it is really good. tongue
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 5:01am On Mar 30, 2009
~Sissy~:

yeah, Aquafina and Dasani are both made from "purified" water sourced from public reservoirs, but then who is really sure of their "purification" undecided

i think you should try FIJI water it is really good. tongue
Where do I get FIJI water?

Oh dear oh dear, my Aquafina related to Dasani? Olorun maje!
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Sissy3(f): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Where do I get FIJI water?

Oh dear oh dear, my Aquafina related to Dasani? Olorun maje!

Aquafina is made by Pepsi and Coca-Cola makes Dasani ,

i think you can get it at Kmart, Target not sure whether Walmart has it
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 30, 2009
~Sissy~:

Aquafina is made by Pepsi and Coca-Cola makes Dasani ,

i think you can get it at Kmart, Target not sure whether Walmart has it
I actually went to return packs of Aquafina to WalMart today.

I went to Kmart to get FIJI, dem no get, and I wasn't intending on driving to Ocala to buy water from target
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by OgidiBoy(m): 11:10pm On Mar 30, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

I actually went to return packs of Aquafina to WalMart today.

I went to Kmart to get FIJI, dem no get, and I wasn't intending on driving to Ocala to buy water from target

Just drink all that swamp water you people have in Florida
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 30, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Just drink all that swamp water you people have in Florida
LOL, are you still hating on the Gators? tongue
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Hauwa1: 1:23am On Mar 31, 2009
do you know you can save money (yes) by just buying water filter? not that i like water filter in the sink, but if you are living alone, that's the best. also get a good fridge, i mean the latest fridge and safe yourself those rubber chemical shocked from petrol lipsrsealed grin
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 1:40am On Mar 31, 2009
*Hauwa*:

do you know you can save money (yes) by just buying water filter? not that i like water filter in the sink, but if you are living alone, that's the best. also get a good fridge, i mean the latest fridge and safe yourself those rubber chemical shocked from petrol lipsrsealed grin

LOL, I can wait for two more months.
Then I'll get water wink

But how am I supposed to carry water filter with me everywhere? shocked shocked
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Hauwa1: 1:52am On Mar 31, 2009
since i watched saving the planet on Oprah, i invested in more carry on bottle. i still buy bottled water though.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 31, 2009
Hehehe, see lil you trying to save the planet grin grin

Did you ever watch Al Gore's Lecture about Global Warming?

I think watching that video made me fall in love with him cheesy cheesy
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by biina: 4:53am On Mar 31, 2009
There are two main parts to the bottled water.: The bottle, and the source of the water.

The bottle is usually a form of plastic and thus there are possibility that there may be leeching (i.e. slow leakage or reaction with the fluid) of the plastic material and/or other chemicals used in preparation and cleansing. Most of these chemicals are possible carcinogens, and hence could be harmful in large quantities. The problem with this is that oral intake does not necessitate absorption by the body. I would suggest that one pours bottled water into cups, and not leave half empty bottles  for long as oxidation might increase the leeching. Refrigeration may slow down the leeching process, and exposure to direct sunlight should be avoided. Larger containers are preferred as they have higher volume to surface area ratio, and thus the leeching per unit volume would be less. Of course, with the slight acidity of carbonated water, the leeching rate is higher. The lure to carbonated water is the refreshing taste, and it does come at a price

As per the water in the bottle, it could come from any of various sources: tap, spring, processed etc. Spring water have always been tagged dubious, because they contain higher concentrations of certain minerals, as compared to other sources. Processed water can only be discussed with knowledge of the process. In most cases they are similar to tap water but may have variation in levels of re-introduced minerals and QA. For the most part tap water is fine, though the fact that the bottled water was possibly produce in another region introduces some uncertainty.

Putting all the factors into consideration, bottled water is not worth the devotion. At best, in terms of the quality of the water, you are just breaking even, when compared to the tap water available in most developed areas (even in Nigeria). When you factor in the cost, then you are running at a loss.

To avoid plumbing sourced issues, I would suggest you take a sample of your tap water for analysis at a facility near you.

Well water is not so bad if the well is deep enough to reach the water table (and not sub surface runoffs). Also unhygienic placement of wells in rural environment often result in contamination of the water by nearby laundry and sewage sources.

I am by no means an expert on the issue but hope this helps.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by biina: 5:01am On Mar 31, 2009
<swears at lack of modify button>

A small level of impurity in the water is healthy in building up your immune system.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2009
biina:

There are two main parts to the bottled water.: The bottle, and the source of the water.

The bottle is usually a form of plastic and thus there are possibility that there may be leeching (i.e. slow leakage or reaction with the fluid) of the plastic material and/or other chemicals used in preparation and cleansing. Most of these chemicals are possible carcinogens, and hence could be harmful in large quantities. The problem with this is that oral intake does not necessitate absorption by the body. I would suggest that one pours bottled water into cups, and not leave half empty bottles for long as oxidation might increase the leeching. Refrigeration may slow down the leeching process, and exposure to direct sunlight should be avoided. Larger containers are preferred as they have higher volume to surface area ratio, and thus the leeching per unit volume would be less. Of course, with the slight acidity of carbonated water, the leeching rate is higher. The lure to carbonated water is the refreshing taste, and it does come at a price

As per the water in the bottle, it could come from any of various sources: tap, spring, processed etc. Spring water have always been tagged dubious, because they contain higher concentrations of certain minerals, as compared to other sources. Processed water can only be discussed with knowledge of the process. In most cases they are similar to tap water but may have variation in levels of re-introduced minerals and QA. For the most part tap water is fine, though the fact that the bottled water was possibly produce in another region introduces some uncertainty.

Putting all the factors into consideration, bottled water is not worth the devotion. At best, in terms of the quality of the water, you are just breaking even, when compared to the tap water available in most developed areas (even in Nigeria). When you factor in the cost, then you are running at a loss.

To avoid plumbing sourced issues, I would suggest you take a sample of your tap water for analysis at a facility near you.

Well water is not so bad if the well is deep enough to reach the water table (and not sub surface runoffs). Also unhygienic placement of wells in rural environment often result in contamination of the water by nearby laundry and sewage sources.

I am by no means an expert on the issue but hope this helps.
It helps a lot, thanks.

@ the bolded
But what makes you think that the water coming out of my tap would be same all the time?

Busted pipe can change the quality of the water, so can leakage.

Would the result of the tests stay constant?
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by biina: 2:46am On Apr 01, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

It helps a lot, thanks.

@ the bolded
But what makes you think that the water coming out of my tap would be same all the time?

Busted pipe can change the quality of the water, so can leakage.

Would the result of the tests stay constant?
The water  facility usually has a defined process and metrics for the water distributed, and thus for the main part the quality of the water leaving the facility is assured. They also monitor the distribution systems for faults (leakages), contaminants, and sabotage.

The plumbing that is of concern is in your building or apartment, since depending on the age of the plumbing you could have rusting, or leeching problems.  A busted pipe rarely leads to contamination under constant availability of water, as the greater pressure exercised by the water in the pipe restricts inflow of contaminant from outside.  Also if the pipe is busted,  the drop in pressure and leakage should help easily identify and rectify the problem. Good building practices ensures that source and waste lines are not run in parallel.

The water test helps to detect more subtle effects from corroding of the pipes, which should be policed by regular inspection practices, but could sometimes sneak under radar due to evident problems of government policing. The result of the test should be as close to the composition from the facility as possible. It is not supposed to be a once in a lifetime endeavor, but rather something that can be used to complement the policing efforts of the utility company.

Note: One major risk with bottled water that I failed to cite earlier, is contamination by humans. There have been several cases in the past of disgruntled employees and other societal miscreant, injecting contaminants into bottled water using tools like syringes, and in the worst cases, direct infusion at the bottling plant (before the sealing process). As a minor precaution, please always check that the bottled water (or any bottled drink) is air tight by simply inverting it and applying pressure.
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 4:19am On Apr 01, 2009
biina, you helped a lot.

Very informative and concise, thanks a lot smiley
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Ced8: 10:04pm On Apr 02, 2009
cry so ironic biina mentioned disgruntled employees, ;back in the lab a week ago,E coli(origin:u-know-where nw cheesy ) was actually isolated from water sampled from a randomly picked bottle, Dont know if that waz d work of a mischieviously disgruntled employee or d water wz obtained unhygienecally cry
Re: Ok, Am Like So Obsessed With Bottled Water. I Heard That It's Not Good. How? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ced8:

cry so ironic biina mentioned disgruntled employees, ;back in the lab a week ago,E coli(origin:u-know-where nw cheesy ) was actually isolated from water sampled from a randomly picked bottle, Dont know if that waz d work of a mischieviously disgruntled employee or d water wz obtained unhygienecally cry
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked What lap?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A First Of Its Kind, 1.5 Tesla MRI Machine At Primus Hospital Abuja / Help! I Am Farting Anyhow And It Smells Like Rotten Egg. / How To Calculate Your Body Mass Index (BMI)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.