Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,769 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn (14285 Views)

Apostle Suleman To Dismiss Members Who Don't Believe In Him, Calls Them Demons / Apostle Johnson Suleman's Sex Scandal: "I Believe You Daddy!"- Lady Supports Him / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by CaptainJune: 11:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
davien:

No need to be running around in circles and chasing your tails....the very definition of facts define them as verifiable and not mysteries.

Davien, for the sake of the Op, I shall not give you details that counter your definition of fact. However, I shall not leave you without a hint, at least to disabuse you of your opinion. If you think that definition of fact you put up there is the only acceptable definition of fact, then you're more mistaken than I thought. In fact, less informed. Do your homework.

I planned to give you a detailed list of definitions of fact with their respective sources, but for the sake of the Op, her pursuit for truth, this argument plunging her further into confusion, I decided to abandon the task and let these words mark the end of this discussion.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 11:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Thanks! I think you will be the last person I will be replying on this thread.

I don't believe in them, are you trying to force me or something? I don't seem to like the tone in your words.

So without those things in place you won't live right?

I m trying to keep an open mind here but you people are making things look difficult sad

Without those things in place I won't really know right as it is.....

Far from forcing you, matter of fact no one can. Just trying to sound like a typical naija there, that's all.

An open mind is good, but then, how do you guard against garbage? Maybe that's why things look difficult.....

Ciao anyway kiss

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 19, 2015
davien:
Okay so according to you,your god "enabled" Ebola to possess the genes with which it killed hundreds of innocent people for some unknown reason.....what a sadistic belief!

And science isn't synonymous with atheism,but the scientific answer is because a virus changes over time or evolves,and with each change,a type emerges with a mix of genes that can attack a specific type of cell of closely related species.. that's why HIV/AIDS originated from SIV from chimps..

So now, given these two answers and the fact that the scientific one is as clear as day(HIV is well documented to have emerged from SIV), why should anyone believe a god is remotely responsible in any biological process or this one?

I have followed a few of your posts on this topic and I wil say your thinking is interesting, It appears you believe in science as a religion which directly corresponds to you not being a scientist.

I am a scientist and trained with one of the best in the world - Interestingly my mentor is an atheist and I am a christian. My mentor in science is in the top five in our field of science and engineering in the world and I worked with him for 6 years - sysnthesing stuffs, attending conferences and debating science. Why am I telling you this? To give you an insight into my exposure of science. And just to add I have a personal interest in theology and have been touched by the bests in that field too.

Science is not a religon. However there is a growing number of non-scientists like you who are making a religion out of science. There is nothing like, to quote you " the scientific answer". If scientists have that approach research would have stopped long tme ago. This approach is promoted by the media not the science community.

Most pioneers of modern science including charles darwin, isaac newton, albert einstein etc were religious men, they weren't atheist. They believed in God. You may say they have a probelm with the way the church at the time presented God to them - but they did not claim there is no God.

This is what Einstein said “To sense that behind everything that can be experienced there is something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense...I am a devoutly religious man.”

In response to a young girl who had asked him whether he believed in God, he wrote: “everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a Spirit vastly superior to that of man.”

And on the relationship between religion and science, Einstein declared: “the situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

It will appear that it takes a bigger faith to belive there is no God than to believe there is a God. Macro evolution is not testable over time - i.e. billions of years and there is no evidence that in the last 7000 years any species had completed its macro evolution. Seems there is a gap there. Micro evolution is mere adaption - which is a charateristic of a living thing. If you have no spoons you will use your hand to eat. If you have no hand you may start using your leg or eat like a dog. If your tongue is tied you will make sounds to communcate with your environment. That's not evolution but adaptaion. However some in the scence community argue its part of the evolutionary process.

To conclude there is no singular view on scientific theory. Scientifc laws however are agreed such as the law of gravity but evolution isn't a law but a theory and that means not all scienctists agree with it. Intelligent design theory is out there, like evolution not all scientsts agree with it. So you cannot say the scientific explanation. There are many different scientifc explanations to a problem and though different they are all scientific

7 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by winner01(m): 10:00am On Aug 19, 2015
belabela:

I have followed a few of your posts on this topic and I wil say your thinking is interesting, It appears you believe in science as a religion which directly corresponds to you not being a scientist.

I am a scientist and trained with one of the best in the world - Interestingly my mentor is an atheist and I am a christian. My mentor in science is in the top five in our field of science and engineering in the world and I worked with him for 6 years - sysnthesing stuffs, attending conferences and debating science ideas. Why am I telling you this? To give you an insight into my exposure of science. And just to add I have a personal interest in theology and have been touched by the bests in that field too.

Science is not a religon. However there is a growing number of non-scientists like you who are making a religion out of science. There is nothing like, to quote you " the scientific answer". If scientists have that approach research would have stopped long tme ago. This approach is promoted by the media not the science community.

Most pioneers of modern science including charles darwin, isaac newton, albert einstein etc were religious men, they weren't atheist. They believed in God. You may say they have a probelm with the way the church at the time presented God to them - but they did not claim there is no God.

This is what Einstein said “To sense that behind everything that can be experienced there is something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense...I am a devoutly religious man.”

In response to a young girl who had asked him whether he believed in God, he wrote: “everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a Spirit vastly superior to that of man.”

And on the relationship between religion and science, Einstein declared: “the situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

It will appear that it takes a bigger faith to belive there is no God than to believe there is a God. Macro evolution is not testable over time - i.e. billions of years and there is no evidence that in the last 7000 years any species had completed its macro evolution. Seems there is a gap there. Micro evolution is mere adaption - which is a charateristic of a living thing. If you have no spoons you will use your hand to eat. If you have no hand you may start using your leg or eat like a dog. If your tongue is tied you will make sounds to communcate with your environment. That's not evolution but adaptaion. However some in the scence community argue its part of the evolutionary process.

To conclude there is no singular view on scientific theory. Scientifc laws however are agreed such as the law of gravity but evolution isn't a law but a theory and that means not all scienctists agree with it. Intelligent design theory is out there, like evolution not all scientsts agree with it. So you cannot say the scientific explanation. There are many different scientifc explanations to a problem and though different they are all scientific
Only a myopic person will claim there's no God. It becomes more irritating when such people claim not to believe in chance or science. It makes me loose grips with what such people think they are.
If a super intelligent Being created the universe and man, then how can man ever use his created senses to probe His Existence undecided
I guess the pioneers of mordern science figured this.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by davien(m): 12:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
belabela:

I am a scientist and trained with one of the best in the world - Interestingly my mentor is an atheist and I am a christian. My mentor in science is in the top five in our field of science and engineering in the world and I worked with him for 6 years - sysnthesing stuffs, attending conferences and debating science ideas. Why am I telling you this? To give you an insight into my exposure of science. And just to add I have a personal interest in theology and have been touched by the bests in that field too.

First of all,I don't care to know who you claim to be on a faceless forum(you could say you were the king of England for all I care)...

Secondly your pathetic straw man is as baseless as they come...(below is your quote)
. "I have followed a few of your posts on this topic and I wil say your thinking is interesting, It appears you believe in science as a religion which directly corresponds to you not being a scientist. "

Now what post have I made declaring that science is a religion?.... undecided

It's straw men fallacies like that that made me put up a pun on my profile...(you can look it up...)

Lastly I have nothing to debate with you,knowing you can't tell the difference between a scientific theory and a regular theory(guess)...nor do you know what a scientific consensus is,as is the case with evolution.....a scientific consensus and the veracity of the theory is all there is to show its utility,not a dafted ear outlier crying wolf over...

And as a "scientist", you'd be aware or I believe you should know that outliers or detractors of a theory exists in all fields....from geocentricists,to anti-vaccinators and then your lot the creationists....so either you bring up some factual papers backing up your case or stay mute...it's that simple.

And again...perhaps you failed to understand in your studies as a "scientist" that a scientific answer is one that is testable or verifiable...like the number of people required to avoid inbreeding is 160+...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by davien(m): 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2015
An addition to your dribble of a post belabela....particularly to your naming of einstein and well known religious scientists....
It's another pathetic fallacy(of fame)....mind you,newton was also an alchemist who made unfruitful attempts to make a philosophers stone' and einstein never made such a comment as "science without religion is lame...",I thrashed that urban myth a long time ago in this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/1932478/reason-why-atheists-dont-cant

davien:
einstein made no such statement...
you claim atheists spew claims they know nothing about and have done the very same thing [url] http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion [/url]

[b] " "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is
blind." So said Albert Einstein , and his famous aphorism has
been the source of endless debate between believers and non-
believers wanting to claim the greatest scientist of the 20th
century as their own.
A little known letter written by him, however, may help to
settle the argument - or at least provoke further controversy
about his views.
Due to be auctioned this week in London after being in a
private collection for more than 50 years, the document
leaves no doubt that the theoretical physicist was no
supporter of religious beliefs, which he regarded as "childish
superstitions".
Einstein penned the letter on January 3 1954 to the
philosopher Eric Gutkind who had sent him a copy of his book
Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt. The letter went on
public sale a year later and has remained in private hands
ever since.
In the letter, he states: "The word god is for me nothing more
than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the
Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends
which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no
matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
Einstein, who was Jewish and who declined an offer to be the
state of Israel's second president, also rejected the idea that
the Jews are God's favoured people." [/b]

The poster was also revealed as a liar and still kept up lying after being exposed....much like what I'm sure would happen with you undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by johnydon22(m): 1:19pm On Aug 19, 2015
davien:
An addition to your dribble of a post belabela....particularly to your naming of einstein and well known religious scientists....
It's another pathetic fallacy(of fame)....mind you,newton was also an alchemist who made unfruitful attempts to make a philosophers stone' and einstein never made such a comment as "science without religion is lame...",I thrashed that urban myth a long time ago in this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/1932478/reason-why-atheists-dont-cant

The poster was also revealed as a liar and still kept up lying after being exposed....much like what I'm sure would happen with you undecided
I am a scientist and trained with one of the best scientist in the world (without a name) and someone is proudly sounding as silly as a 6year old.

A self acclaimed scientist in the same breathe tries to personify the scientific identified or stipulated Laws and tag them spirits. . Never knew someone could claim something and at the same time totally kill his own stupendous assertion..

I never knew you would take the self acclaimed scientist serious tho...

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by davien(m): 1:47pm On Aug 19, 2015
johnydon22:
I am a scientist and trained with one of the best scientist in the world (without a name) and someone is proudly sounding as silly as a 6year old.

A self acclaimed scientist in the same breathe tries to personify the scientific identified or stipulated Laws and tag them spirits. . Never knew someone could claim something and at the same time totally kill his own stupendous assertion..

grin
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by CaptainJune: 4:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
Fearlesschicken, have you visited sites where Christian testimonies are published? It may help going through them. Here are some links:

www.insightsofgod.com

www.divinerevelations.info

www.precious-testimonies.com

We Christians do not only draw inspiration from the Bible but also from the testimonies of others of God's doings.

You may also want to download the book, The Final Frontier. You will find the download link at the first link above. You may already know them but I just thought to share them with you.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
Thoniameek:

Far from forcing you, matter of fact no one can. Just trying to sound like a typical naija there, that's all.

An open mind is good, but then, how do you guard against garbage? Maybe that's why things look difficult.....

Ciao anyway kiss
Er, Sorry to ask. How old are you?
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Thanks! I think you will be the last person I will be replying on this thread.

I don't believe in them, are you trying to force me or something? I don't seem to like the tone in your words.

So without those things in place you won't live right?

I m trying to keep an open mind here but you people are making things look difficult sad

What she's trying to tell you is that: you must accept Jesus by force by fire; or else, you would join us, including Jesus (for cooperating with Satan), in going hell!

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 19, 2015
theAtheist101:

What she's trying to tell you is that: you must accept Jesus by force by fire; or else, you would join us, including Jesus (for cooperating with Satan), in going hell!

Thank you for elucidating..... Now, that's how a typical Nigerian would say it
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
Thoniameek:

Thank you for elucidating..... Now, that's how a typical Nigerian would say it

Yoa are welcome, typical Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by ivyT(f): 11:44pm On Aug 19, 2015
fearlesschicken:

The analogy of loving my parents and not believing in their advise is quite silly sorry to say. Yes I love my folks but I don't believe everything they tell me. For christs sake am human and not a robot that would take everything they tell me hook line and sinker.

How are you sure that the bible is the true word of God? If the bible is the true word of God then why the inaccuracies and errors? Isnt God perfect like we believe?

God did not write the Bible..neither did he come down from heaven to do dat_since dats wot u believe in so be it..

#FreedomOfBeliefs

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 20, 2015
davien:
First of all,I don't care to know who you claim to be on a faceless forum(you could say you were the king of England for all I care)...

Secondly your pathetic straw man is as baseless as they come...(below is your quote)
. "I have followed a few of your posts on this topic and I wil say your thinking is interesting, It appears you believe in science as a religion which directly corresponds to you not being a scientist. "

Now what post have I made declaring that science is a religion?.... undecided

It's straw men fallacies like that that made me put up a pun on my profile...(you can look it up...)

Lastly I have nothing to debate with you,knowing you can't tell the difference between a scientific theory and a regular theory(guess)...nor do you know what a scientific consensus is,as is the case with evolution.....a scientific consensus and the veracity of the theory is all there is to show its utility,not a dafted ear outlier crying wolf over...

And as a "scientist", you'd be aware or I believe you should know that outliers or detractors of a theory exists in all fields....from geocentricists,to anti-vaccinators and then your lot the creationists....so either you bring up some factual papers backing up your case or stay mute...it's that simple.

And again...perhaps you failed to understand in your studies as a "scientist" that a scientific answer is one that is testable or verifiable...like the number of people required to avoid inbreeding is 160+...

You obviously sounded more naive than I thought. Let me first clarify one thing for you. Your believe in a God or no God has nothing to do with your science or ability to carry out science research. I cited Einstein because alot of atheists try to convince themselves that Einstein was an atheist. But does it matter if Einstein is an atheist or not? I guess it doesn't but just to satisfy your curiosity I will give you a quote from a book you can read in the library.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." - Albert Einstein (Clark, Ronald W. (1971). Einstein: The Life and Times. New York: World Publishing Company, Page 425)

No opinion is ever dismissed in science. You only use outliers for a data not for a theory. In science we debate opinions not ideas. When a theory is out there, it is a scientific opinion and no scientists will call it an outlier.

There is no consensus on the origin of life in science. And by the way "scientific consensus" is more of a political term than a scientific term. Modern evolution theory, big bang theory, intelligent design theory, and now "life came from aliens" theory etc are all there to explain the origin of life. One thing that is common to all these theories is that you need FAITH because none is testable over time. If you believe modern evolutionary theories for example, we are talking about millions of years to see an ape become a man. That's definitely not testable and not observable.

A scientific method "is based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning, the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses." - Science Daily

If you are part of the science community you will know that those with the big money dictate what research is done today. Research grants are no longer granted to you out of curiosity of knowledge but how it will benefit the guy with the big money or as it's said "benefit the society".

4 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 20, 2015
johnydon22:

Will giving you a name change the facts? So in your little reasoning giving a name will suddenly make you believe. If getting a name today makes it true then it was true yesterday when you had no name. Such is how some of you treat God. So if God showed up today you will suddenly believe that He actually exist. But that will also mean that he was existing while you spent your energy claiming he didn't.

Unfortunately I wont give you a name. If you really want to read my papers you can contact me via email and a simple goodgle search will show you how many times they have been cited in other journals and government papers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Weah96: 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2015
belabela:

You obviously sounded more naive than I thought. Let me first clarify one thing for you. Your believe in a God or no God has nothing to do with your science or ability to carry out science research. I cited Einstein because alot of atheists try to convince themselves that Einstein was an atheist. But does it matter if Einstein is an atheist or not? I guess it doesn't but just to satisfy your curiosity I will give you a quote from a book you can read in the library.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." - Albert Einstein (Clark, Ronald W. (1971). Einstein: The Life and Times. New York: World Publishing Company, Page 425)

No opinion is ever dismissed in science. You only use outliers for a data not for a theory. In science we debate opinions not ideas. When a theory is out there, it is a scientific opinion and no scientists will call it an outlier.

There is no consensus on the origin of life in science. And by the way "scientific consensus" is more of a political term than a scientific term. Modern evolution theory, big bang theory, intelligent design theory, and now "life came from aliens" theory etc are all there to explain the origin of life. One thing that is common to all these theories is that you need FAITH because none is testable over time. If you believe modern evolutionary theories for example, we are talking about millions of years to see an ape become a man. That's definitely not testable and not observable.

A scientific method "is based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning, the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses." - Science Daily

If you are part of the science community you will know that those with the big money dictate what research is done today. Research grants are no longer granted to you out of curiosity of knowledge but how it will benefit the guy with the big money or as it's said "benefit the society".

The theory of evolution doesn't address the origin of life. It addresses descent with modification, as in, the object being modified was ALREADY alive.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 3:27pm On Aug 20, 2015
Thoniameek:

Ciao anyway kiss

You just indirectly shut yourselve in the leg by saying that without those things in place you won't know what right is....what exactly is right and what exactly is wrong? Is not your environment that influences what you see as good and bad?

@ bold have you ever heard of the word conscience?

You Guys keep mentioning my name, it don do! Can't you read my monicker fearless and chicken don't you get the irony behind it?embarassed grin

I tend to run away from things like this my topic, I couldn't take it anymore the injustice,the hyprocricy. Too much for my chicken brain to conceive, I have been on nairaland trying to read arguments and try to understand the concept behind the religion I was brought up. Try to regain the love and passion I used to have for it,but the more I try the more sad I feel and the more questions I want to ask with no direct answers. People saying don't read the bible as a book, you need spiritual guidance to understand the words. Now I want to connect closer to whoever it is that is up there without any book,useless doctorines and belief in silly things like demons. You say I can't? Why?

And you say you sounding like a typical nigerian?Why do you want to sound like a typical average ignorant nigerian?Which am sure you won't want to be in this category.hope you are not one of those who blame other forces for their misfortune? If you are then yes you are part of the category

Captainjune and some other xtians seem more convincing and I was happy to read. But yours just came like what I hate most hearing in my entire life on earth.

Am not trying to force you my dear, don't take my words to heart just sounding like a typical average human being. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by davien(m): 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2015
belabela:

You obviously sounded more naive than I thought. Let me first clarify one thing for you. Your believe in a God or no God has nothing to do with your science or ability to carry out science research.
There I was thinking you've learnt a thing or two about engaging in a debate with me when you've nothing to offer...
Belabela, where did I imply a disbelief or belief has something to do in science?

So far you've been the one quoting Einstein's pantheism view for a support for your personal god(your below initial quote).

belabela:

And your still continuing...

I cited Einstein because alot of atheists try to convince themselves that Einstein was an atheist. But does it matter if Einstein is an atheist or not? I guess it doesn't but just to satisfy your curiosity I will give you a quote from a book you can read in the library.
Why would you respond to what you think a lot of "atheists say",instead of what I'm saying?

Because that'll be a straw man, and so far that's what you've been doing...

*Yawn
Einstein was a pantheist,a personal God is what he didn't favor...

[b]
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
-- Albert Einstein, in a letter responding to philosopher Eric Gutkind,

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930 [/b]

Eitherway, I don't care for his religious views nor his quotes, the above is just a response to yours..

You can pull quotes from any well-known scientist who supports an outrageous idea and it won't stand on the merit of the person speaking it.

hahaha haha... I needed this good laugh this hot boring day @bolded
I'd need to take my time to explain and eviscerate your garbage... ..

This is the mistake of someone who does not understand what he's talking talking about, but instead of keeping quiet, quickly uses Wikipedia to search and compliment his ignorance..

This is my quote you are responding to(quote below)

And as a "scientist", you'd be aware or I believe you should know that outliers or detractors of a theory exists in all fields ....from geocentricists,to anti-vaccinators and then your lot the creationists

Now for somebody who doesn't know what an outlier is(which I've already indicated in the post to be a detractor in this context), you quickly went to Wikipedia and read
"In statistics, an outlier is an observation point that is distant from other observations." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

Then after wiki-ing, you responded "You only use outliers for a data not for a theory.". . Lol grin grin

I'm getting tired of this sloppy copy-paste fellows who don't know anything but to come here and fumble on their own ignorance
.. .
I mean the same Google search had a dictionary where this was written...

someone who stands apart from others of his or her group, as by differing behavior, beliefs, or religious practices:
scientists who are outliers in their views on climate change.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/outlier

But you leaped on to wiki because it was the first you saw when you typed "outlier" ... grin grin

[s]

If you are part of the science community you will know that those with the big money dictate what research is done today. Research grants are no longer granted to you out of curiosity of knowledge but how it will benefit the guy with the big money or as it's said "benefit the society". [/s]
When you truly go to school and learn science, then you can come back here to re-write this post, not wiki searching, or pasting science daily articles...claiming to be a scientist who studied under the best of the world, and then fumbling on that claim is something you should stop doing grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 28, 2015
davien:
There I was thinking you've learnt a thing or two about engaging in a debate with me when you've nothing to offer...
Belabela, where did I imply a disbelief or belief has something to do in science?

So far you've been the one quoting Einstein's pantheism view for a support for your personal god(your below initial quote).

And your still continuing...

Why would you respond to what you think a lot of "atheists say",instead of what I'm saying?

Because that'll be a straw man, and so far that's what you've been doing...

*Yawn
Einstein was a pantheist,a personal God is what he didn't favor...

[b]
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
-- Albert Einstein, in a letter responding to philosopher Eric Gutkind,

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930 [/b]

Eitherway, I don't care for his religious views nor his quotes, the above is just a response to yours..

You can pull quotes from any well-known scientist who supports an outrageous idea and it won't stand on the merit of the person speaking it.

hahaha haha... I needed this good laugh this hot boring day @bolded
I'd need to take my time to explain and eviscerate your garbage... ..

This is the mistake of someone who does not understand what he's talking talking about, but instead of keeping quiet, quickly uses Wikipedia to search and compliment his ignorance..

This is my quote you are responding to(quote below)

Now for somebody who doesn't know what an outlier is(which I've already indicated in the post to be a detractor in this context), you quickly went to Wikipedia and read
"In statistics, an outlier is an observation point that is distant from other observations." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

Then after wiki-ing, you responded "You only use outliers for a data not for a theory.". . Lol grin grin

I'm getting tired of this sloppy copy-paste fellows who don't know anything but to come here and fumble on their own ignorance
.. .
I mean the same Google search had a dictionary where this was written...

someone who stands apart from others of his or her group, as by differing behavior, beliefs, or religious practices:
scientists who are outliers in their views on climate change.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/outlier

But you leaped on to wiki because it was the first you saw when you typed "outlier" ... grin grin

When you truly go to school and learn science, then you can come back here to re-write this post, not wiki searching, or pasting science daily articles...claiming to be a scientist who studied under the best of the world, and then fumbling on that claim is something you should stop doing grin

Oh I am just seeing your response. As I noted in my first reponse to you on this topic you are no scientist. The above quote only proves that. I once attended an international conference where a Professor of Chemistry made a presentation which as far as I am concerned was "destroying" the work of a nobel laurate,as a research student I asked my professor what he thought about the presentation and he said "I don't like the prersentation myself but I can't fault the science". Why did I tell you this? to point out to you that no theory in science is an outlier ( Just to note you have only used a dictionary definition to "prove" ( which is no prove) that there is a theory in science that is an outlier - you are just like a clown). Darwins theory of the origin of species was once considered silly. Galileo theory that the earth was not flat was equally once considered silly. You do not wake up and say this theory is an outlier. Saying that immediately gives away the fact that you are not a scientist at all. In the science community we use outliers for data (statistics) not theory.

You make a circular argument - where you assume a position to be true and argue around it. Another evidence that you know nothing of scientific argument or philosphy for that matter. Where does your assumption of wikipedia come from? What evidence of copy and paste do you have? Have you opened the book and find that quote missing? how did you come up with these random rants? Is it a case that when an argument is made you first consult wikipedia to check if you can find it there? Wikipedia can be written by a 12 year old boy but if a 12 year old boy quotes a journal on wikipedia that doesnt make the journal invalid nor does it mean anyone quoting the journal is quoting from wikipedia. I have given a quote from a book that was published you have responded with newspaper articles that does not disprove the quote. I noted that Eisntein may have issues with how God was presented to him but he never claimed there is no God. He was never an atheist and your rants wouldn't change the facts. It will not change the fact that you need FAITH to believe in macro evolution just as you would need FAITH that God exist. It will not change the fact that scientists have no consensus on the origin of life nor will it change that fact that your religious belive has nothing to do with your science (which is a philosophy) or the ability to carry out scientific research.

Science is not a democracy where you say lets us vote - how many of you agree that evolution is the way we should go? If such votes occur you can talk about consensus. The media talks about science says this or that - which are usually politically driven - because there is no such consensus . In science you are free to think as you like. Your quotes of newspapers indicate that media may inform most of your "science" - when you attend a science conference you will understand that there is no such consensus. For example climate change as a result of human activities is being pushed by western media however there is never a consensus that humans are responsible. Some claim humans are ultimately responsible, some claim it's a cycle that will pass, others claim nature should be blamed each with solid scientific facts. You dont wake up in your room and say this one is an outlier the other one is the consensus.

In a bid to make an argument you ended up making assumptions for which you have no prove. You sounded more like a clown as I read your response. You even mock science daily - I am sorry to say this but you are really a clown.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by davien(m): 12:17am On Aug 29, 2015
belabela:

Oh I am just seeing your response.
*Yawn

As I noted in my first reponse to you on this topic you are no scientist.
Neither have I claimed to be(professionally that is),but you on the other hand, claim to be one and yet,don't understand basic scientific terminologies and concepts.

The above quote only proves that. I once attended an international conference where a Professor of Chemistry made a presentation which as far as I am concerned was "destroying" the work of a nobel laurate,as a research student I asked my professor what he thought about the presentation and he said "I don't like the prersentation myself but I can't fault the science". Why did I tell you this? to point out to you that no theory in science is an outlier ( Just to note you have only used a dictionary definition to "prove" ( which is no prove) that there is a theory in science that is an outlier - you are just like a clown).
I'm getting bored of this nameless professors, events, and scientists you keep posting and referencing...

And i'd reckon that the only clown here is yourself,you can't make a clear understandable case for your supposed credentials nor the nameless events and mentor who's supposed to be one of the top 5 best in the world...

That would have been bad enough, but you keep fumbling on the term I used in my previous posts ("outlier"wink, even though I explained it in great detail(detractors),and even then you stuck to your wiki knowledge.

Darwins theory of the origin of species was once considered silly. Galileo theory that the earth was not flat was equally once considered silly. You do not wake up and say this theory is an outlier.

Pure gibberish....

And @bolded, I've said no such thing... this was my post(below)
me
And as a "scientist", you'd be aware or I believe you should know that outliers or detractors of a theory exists in all fields ....from geocentricists,to anti-vaccinators and then your lot the creationists....so either you bring up some factual papers backing up your case or stay mute...it's that simple

So to recap it all, not only do you not understand scientific terminology, you also can't understand the phrase "outliers(or detractors) of a theory", else you wouldn't equate a theory itself to be an outlier... wikipedia sadly can't give you contexts...

Saying that immediately gives away the fact that you are not a scientist at all. In the science community we use outliers for data (statistics) not theory.
You mean scientific community(not science community ), and again you're regurgitating the same mistake I've been correcting you about.

I'll spell it out for you, what do you call a scientist that detracts from a scientific consensus? AN OUTLIER! ,ask your nameless mentor(which is Wikipedia by the way )

You make a circular argument - where you assume a position to be true and argue around it.

And where would that be? undecided

Don't just say davien did x without a reference...

Another evidence that you know nothing of scientific argument or philosphy for that matter. Where does your assumption of wikipedia come from? What evidence of copy and paste do you have? Have you opened the book and find that quote missing? how did you come up with these random rants? Is it a case that when an argument is made you first consult wikipedia to check if you can find it there? Wikipedia can be written by a 12 year old boy but if a 12 year old boy quotes a journal on wikipedia that doesnt make the journal invalid nor does it mean anyone quoting the journal is quoting from wikipedia. I have given a quote from a book that was published you have responded with newspaper articles that does not disprove the quote. I noted that Eisntein may have issues with how God was presented to him but he never claimed there is no God. He was never an atheist and your rants wouldn't change the facts. It will not change the fact that you need FAITH to believe in macro evolution just as you would need FAITH that God exist.

Where do I start with this pile of gibberish?

How I know you used Wikipedia?. .. Simple, you couldn't articulate yourself at all to the term I presented( "outlier" ) ,even when I explained in great detail and even gave examples... that shouldn't be a problem for a scientist who debates in a scientific setting(like you claimed on your first reply to my post)... but it would be a problem for someone who uses google to compensate for his scientific illiteracy, so for you to reply with "outliers are used in data in statistics" in line with what a Google search would bring up(which is wiki).

I've told you I don't regard quotes as an authority on the unknown... else quotes that affirm the existence of Bigfoot from notable individuals would be proof of it...More so, there's no greater evidence between a book and a penned letter by einstein... both are written accounts...

Plus I've never said he was an atheist to begin with, nor do I hold his credentials as proof of anything else(unlike you)

The book you're even quoting says this.. .

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."
— Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, Page 502

It will not change the fact that scientists have no consensus on the origin of life nor will it change that fact that your religious belive has nothing to do with your science (which is a philosophy) or the ability to carry out scientific research.

Nobody has a detailed narrative on the origin of life... and I have no religious belief to begin with, so again, another gibberish post.

Science is not a democracy where you say lets us vote - how many of you agree that evolution is the way we should go? If such votes occur you can talk about consensus. The media talks about science says this or that - which are usually politically driven - because there is no such consensus . In science you are free to think as you like. Your quotes of newspapers indicate that media may inform most of your "science"
Ha, priceless! cheesy

I gave back quotes of einstein unto your own quote and then explained ; (my post below)
me

I've already provided a narrative for those quotes(above), so your strawman here is revealed.

- when you attend a science conference you will understand that there is no such consensus. For example climate change as a result of human activities is being pushed by western media however there is never a consensus that humans are responsible.

You're buffoonery knows no bounds....

Really, western media you say? So is China, Japan and South Korea part of "western media"? If not, why does their data also comply with human caused climate change?. .. or is your nameless conferences going to say there isn't? lol

Some claim humans are ultimately responsible, some claim it's a cycle that will pass, others claim nature should be blamed each with solid scientific facts. You dont wake up in your room and say this one is an outlier the other one is the consensus.

*Yawn

Kindly reference any data that attests to climate change being natural...

In a bid to make an argument you ended up making assumptions for which you have no prove. You sounded more like a clown as I read your response. You even mock science daily - I am sorry to say this but you are really a clown.

Funny enough I'm not offended at all, from someone who keeps going to nameless science conferences with a nameless mentor and doesn't know climate change is human driven nor what an outlier is.. .. that is merely side baiting.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Omotayor123(f): 10:12am On Sep 08, 2015
boboLIL:
oboy go to hell.....and ur devil ur father there
And you are sure of going to heaven undecided

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by iliyande(m): 10:29am On Sep 08, 2015
fearlesschicken:
I believe in a God who creates the world we are in but I don't believe in the bible does it make me less a christian?

I had an argument with a friend of mine, he keep calling me an athiest because I said the bible is inaccurate and I can't leave my life based on a book with so many errors and contradictions.

I don't believe in all this supernatural stuffs either, like witches and wizards,demons etc or some silly doctorines we have in the bible like women being submissive and a divorcee not allowed to get married etc

I just believe in one thing: love!

So am I less a christian for not beliving the bible and all the other things I mentioned? If am not a christian what am I?

Cc:captainjune,winner01,malvinsguy212,
Johnydon22,hahn,davien, etc

How do you know there is God? And Who tell you that the God you believe exist?

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 08, 2015
fearlesschicken:
I believe in a God who creates the world we are in but I don't believe in the bible does it make me less a christian?

I had an argument with a friend of mine, he keep calling me an athiest because I said the bible is inaccurate and I can't leave my life based on a book with so many errors and contradictions.

I don't believe in all this supernatural stuffs either, like witches and wizards,demons etc or some silly doctorines we have in the bible like women being submissive and a divorcee not allowed to get married etc

So am I less a christian for not beliving the bible and all the other things I mentioned? If am not a christian what am I?

Demmzy15 come see oo. Them they question am themselves even when una never fire them.

Chai!!
E be like movie for my eye!
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by seunmsg(m): 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Really I don't know. Kinda lost, but I don't think I can qualify for that atheist position. If you get what I mean, but why do you ask?

You are a free thinker.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by joseph1832(m): 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Well if you're not christlike then you're not a christian. The thing is many who go to church and bear christian names think they are christian. So going to church doesn't make one a christian neither does you not believing in the Bible makes you a christian.

If you extol all christlike virtue and not live like christ, you're not a christian. Lemme quote Mahatma Ghandi, "I like you christ, but I do not like your christians, because, your christians do not behave like your christ". The same goes for the muslims also.

"Religion is the opiate of the masses" Karl Marx.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by PastorAIO: 1:54pm On Sep 08, 2015
CaptainJune:
Fearlesschicken, many people believe in God but that doesn't make them Christians. The Bible says even the demons believe God exists and they tremble.

Who is a Christian? A Christian is a follower or disciple of Christ. To be a follower of Christ, it means you have surrendered your life to Jesus Christ, and that you believe in His death and resurrection as recorded in the Bible.

The questions now are: have you given your life to Christ, and do you believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ?

A Christian is different from a passive believer of the existence of God. Your calling yourself a Christian depends on the answers to the questions above.

I'd like to know what these words actually meaning, presuming that they are not just empty rhetorics.

What does it mean to be a follower and disciple of Christ? What does Christ mean?

What does it mean to give your life to christ? Other than saying 'I give my life to christ'.

What is the death and resurrection of christ?
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by CaptainJune: 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
PastorAIO:

I'd like to know what these words actually meaning, presuming that they are not just empty rhetorics.

What does it mean to be a follower and disciple of Christ?

A disciple of Christ is one who believes, loves, obeys and is faithful to Christ. He or she practices all the teachings of Jesus Christ. He or she emulates the qualities of Christ, especially love and humility. By this all men shall know that you are My disciples through your love for one another.
Other qualities, just as important, are obedience, spending time with the Father in prayer, mercy, etc.

What does Christ mean?

Christ means the Messiah as used when you say Jesus the Christ or Jesus the Messiah.

What does it mean to give your life to christ? Other than saying 'I give my life to christ'.

When someone gives their life to Christ, they make Jesus the only Lord and Master of their life. The old master, Satan, is replaced by a new Master, Jesus. One cannot serve two masters. He will either love one and despise the other.

It means you have made a legal oral contract transferring the ownership of your life to Jesus Christ in which you state that you belong to Him, and He belongs to you, sealed with the blood of Jesus and the Holy Spirit as a witness. Therefore, any previous agreement or contract of ownership between such individual and any other entity is rendered invalid and of no legal consequence. Such previous agreement becomes obsolete, null and void by the blood of Jesus. If any man be in Christ, old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

It means you have, through the blood of Jesus, made your heart a home for Jesus, the Father, and the Spirit to dwell forever.

What is the death and resurrection of christ?

The death of Christ is the price He had to pay to redeem mankind from sin. It was the only means to atone for the sins of man as the Righteous Lamb without blemish who was sacrificed on the cross so that the sins of men would be wiped away making it possible for them to stand righteous before God, to those who believe. Therefore, Man's righteousness is not of works but of grace through faith.
This death of Christ is the 'price' of salvation which Christ purchased for us all with His blood so that we don't have to pay for our sins anymore especially since we don't even have the means in ourselves to buy it. Now, all we have to do is believe He died for our sins, confess and forsake our sins, ask Him into our lives, then He gives us salvation which all the gold and silver in the world cannot buy - for free.

The resurrection of Christ demonstrates His victory over the enemy, sin and death - for us. It concluded His purchase of our salvation, our redemption. It proved that it is impossible for death to hold Him. Through the resurrection of Christ, we have been begotten into a new and living hope that never fades, eternal life is guaranteed, sin has become powerless, Christ has become the only bridge to the Father thereby reconciling us with Him. At the Fall, the bridge between Man and God was shattered and destroyed through disobedience so that the gap between both was widened. Now, Christ, through His resurrection, has become the only Bridge to God, forever closing the gap between Man and God. We have become sons and daughters of the Most High, a kind of first-fruits of all His creation where Christ is the First Born. We are now joint heirs with Christ and are seated in high places with Him. Through the resurrection of Christ we have become the new Holy of Holies, the temple of God where His Spirit dwells - to those who believe.

These are not empty rhetorics but the plain truth as it is written in the Word of God.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by boboLIL(m): 7:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
Omotayor123:

And you are sure of going to heaven undecided
wo bi dis mqbeke? Abeg no kari wowo faz de quote...
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Omotayor123(f): 9:03pm On Sep 08, 2015
boboLIL:
wo bi did mqbeke? Abeg no kari wowo faz de quote...
Pained?
Truth is bitter.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by totalhouse(m): 10:35pm On Sep 08, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Once you don't accept the scripture, the compass of Christians in which God's instructions to Christians are enshrined, then you are not a Christian.....The bible entails the belief system of Christians.Your disapproval of it will not change God's view about....Joshua 1vs 8.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by ttime(m): 11:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
[quote author=fearlesschicken post=37050067]

The analogy of loving my parents and not believing in their advise is quite silly sorry to say. Yes I love my folks but I don't believe everything they tell me. For christs sake am human and not a robot that would take everything they tell me hook line and sinker.

How are you sure that the bible is the true word of God? If the bible is the true word of God then why the inaccuracies and errors? Isnt God perfect like we believe? [/quote

Give me some of the inaccuracies uve noticed in the Bible. Let's start off from there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Is A True Man Of God? / RCCG Holy Ghost Congress 2016 (Day 4) / The Naked Truth About Pastor Lazarus Muoka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 220
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.