Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,549 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL (1254 Views)

Buhari To Probe Jonathan’s Sale Of NITEL/MTEL / Buhari To Personally Probe The Sale Of NITEL / Buhari To Personally Welcome PDP Defectors In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by NAVYdogg: 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari has mandated the ministry of communication to provide details of the recent privatisation of the Nigerian Telecommunications (NITEL) and its mobile arm, MTEL, to ascertain whether or not Nigeria was short-changed.

Speaking to journalists Tuesday after briefing the president on the activities of the ministry of communications, permanent secretary Tunji Olaopa said the president requested that a memo detailing how the transaction was processed be submitted directly to him.

He said Mr. Buhari was concerned about the possibility of Nigeria not receiving a fair value from the deal.

“The president was also concerned about the liquidation of NITEL. He is not opposed to its privatization but he wants to know… and he wants us to bring a memo on how the whole transaction was undertaken so that he would know whether Nigeria was short-changed,” he said.

Mr. Olaopa said the president was very concerned about the whole issue of privatization that is hindering investments in ICT and said “that he will personally champion this”.

“The president talked about the potentials of the ICT sector in generating employment,” Mr. Olaopa said.
He said Mr. Buhari was also concerned about the quality of service from telecom operators in the country.
The privatisation of the NITEL and MTEL was completed in December 2014 after the financial bid was opened in October 2014 by the Goodluck Jonathan administration.

A consortium run by Skye Bank’s chairman, Tunde Ayeni, the founder of Sahara Energy, Tonye Cole, and two other companies, received the nod from the Nigerian government to take over the two companies for $242.3 million (about N42.4 billion).
Their investment vehicle, NATCOM Telecommunications, emerged the sole bidder for the Nigerian Telecommunications Limited, NITEL and Mtel.
NATCOM has as members NATSPACE Telecommunication Investment Limited, PCCW Global Limited, Prime Union Investment Limited, Olutoyi Estate Development & Services Limited, Legal Resources Alliance & Co., Sahara Energy Resources Limited, and LM Ericsson Nigeria Limited.

Of the seven firms, Mr. Ayeni, profiled as a businessman and lawyer on Skye Bank’s website, owns three.
He is the founder and operator of Prime Union Investment Limited, Olutoyi Estate Development & Services Limited, and Legal Resources Alliance & Co. There were suggestions that he has link with NATSPACE, but PREMIUM TIMES could not independently verify that claim.

In December 2014, Mr. Ayeni led NATCOM in its acquisition of NITEL/MTEL less than two months after he also led Skye Bank to buy Mainstreet Bank from Assets Management Company of Nigeria, for N120 billion.

In 2013, Mr. Ayeni was the chief promoter of Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Company Limited, a group that eventually bought the Ibadan and Yola electricity Distribution Companies, DISCOs.

Mr. Cole is the owner of Sahara Energy, while LM Ericsson is a subsidiary of Swedish group, Ericsson.
NATCOM, which merges the seven firms, appears to be a new corporate entity created solely for the purchase of NITEL/MTEL. Very little is known about the consortium.
NATCOM emerged winner after NETTAG Consortium, another little known group, was disqualified for failing to attach a $10million bid bond to its bid submission as stipulated in the Request for Proposals (RFP) to prospective bidders.
History of failed sales

Before the acquisition, four previous attempts to sell NITEL failed.
Nigeria started the process of privatising the national telecom groups in 2000 as part of the government’s reform of the telecommunications sector.
In 2001, the government tried to sell 51 per cent equity to Investors International London Limited (IILL) as the strategic core investor.

There was also the failed management contract by Pentascope in 2005, the aborted Orascom Telecoms bid in 2005, and the strategic core investor sale through negotiated sale strategy to Transcorp that was cancelled in 2009.
The last effort was the strategic core investor sale in 2011, where New Generation Communications Limited and Omen International emerged preferred and reserved bidders respectively.

Following the last failed attempt, former Vice President Namadi Sambo-led National Council on Privatisation, adopted the guided liquidation strategy for the sale of NITEL/MTEL.

SOURCE: www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/188622-buhari-to-personally-probe-sale-of-nitel.html
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by NAVYdogg: 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
Tyyrone:
Am TYYRONE and f*ck what this op is saying, Am just tryna f*ck someone's wife. Long D*ck StyleAm TYYRONE and f*ck what this op is saying, Am just tryna f*ck someone's wife. Long D*ck Style

Why did u have to take the wrong vegetable bro. Not good for your health.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by NAVYdogg: 8:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
Tyyrone:
Am TYYRONE and f*ck what this nigga is saying, Am just tryna f*ck someone's wife. Long D*ck Style

Hmmmm what a DIMWIT we have in here undecided
Tyyrone:
Am TYYRONE and f*ck what this nigga is saying, Am just tryna f*ck someone's wife. Long D*ck Style

Hmmmm what a DIMWIT we have in here
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by Brightology2(m): 8:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
Mitchew
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by psucc(m): 8:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
When will he start business of government.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by hinwazaka: 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
He should just reverse the sale and give it to his sponsors. But the funny thing is that NITEL is not a viable company. Haven't they ever heard of MTN, or Etisalat. Good luck to whoever gets stuck with the outdated pile of scrap called NITEL
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by NAVYdogg: 9:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
psucc:
When will he start business of government.

What do you call of this .
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by wordcat(m): 10:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
Those close to Mr. Buhari should let him know that campaigns are over.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by Nobody: 11:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
Buhari is hallucinating.

We are tired of hearing this usual song.

Soon it will be:

I will probe the name of this country
I will probe the use of ATM
I will probe transport companies
I will probe senators
I will probe .....
I will probe ......
I will probe ......

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by NAVYdogg: 11:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
stickncarrot:
Buhari is hallucinating.

Soon it will be:
I will probe the name of this country I will probe the use of ATM I will probe transport companies I will probe senators I will probe ..... I will probe ...... I will probe ......

Lol, that's funny. We are getting there.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by naijaking1: 1:12am On Aug 19, 2015
hinwazaka:
He should just reverse the sale and give it to his sponsors. But the funny thing is that NITEL is not a viable company. Haven't they ever heard of MTN, or Etisalat. Good luck to whoever gets stuck with the outdated pile of scrap called NITEL

That's how smart Buhari is really.
Probe NITEL, probe P&T, probe Lord Lugard. Unfortunately, few people already know we're not going anywhere with this crazy mallam as president.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by azzima(m): 3:50am On Aug 19, 2015
stickncarrot:
Buhari is hallucinating.

Soon it will be:

I will probe the name of this country
I will probe the use of ATM
I will probe transport companies
I will probe senators
I will probe .....
I will probe ......
I will probe ......

PMB should PROBED ALL outlets used by looters EVEN if it involves my OWN Father. Nigeria is so embedded in ILLEGALITY so much that the fool CANT see ANYTHING right in probing these thieves. Nigeria needs urgent fumigation.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by Nobody: 6:01am On Aug 19, 2015
azzima:
PMB should PROBED ALL outlets used by looters EVEN if it involves my OWN Father. Nigeria is so embedded in ILLEGALITY so much that the fool CANT see ANYTHING right in probing these thieves. Nigeria needs urgent fumigation.

Am not against him probing anyone, anything provided he start doing so and stop dishing his daily dose of "I WILL" . as for what you have said, 'fool' , I can't descend so low to exchange words with you.
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by omowolewa: 7:41am On Aug 19, 2015
Can't wait to see NITEL back on its foot
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 19, 2015
Who needs NITEL line agai? Buhari should just sell off that dead log to his Northern brothern
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by NAVYdogg: 8:06am On Aug 19, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Who needs NITEL line agai? Buhari should just sell off that dead log to his Northern brothern

Omo u dey vex oo..
Re: Buhari To Personally Probe Sale Of NITEL by ZKOSOSO(m): 9:02am On Aug 19, 2015
Pesin wey collect F9 in Ordinary Level Maths na him wan probe Nitel sale!!
SMH!!!

Na figure mata o!

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Should Wake Up. There Will Never Be A Biafra. / Photo: Buhari With Bill Gate In A Discussion / Inconsequential Portfolios Given To Ndigbo, Ohaneze, Njiko Igbo Alledges.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.