Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) (17703 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by ibedun: 1:30pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

Civilization here meant organized towns. But despite that see how he described Igbos (indomitable) versus Yoruba (barbarous)

Today, Igbos have organized cities but Yorubas still remain barbarous, and their cities are in ruins with rusty roofs

Look o I know ya place very well. I was in Awka, Asaba and Onitcha not too long ago. I took pic on the creaking Niger Bridge and under Ojukwu's sculpture just after the bridge and the almighty Onitcha Market.

One thing is for sure, in comparison to the North and West there are no cities in Igboland just towns.

Igbos are usually indomitable when they interact with calm people. None has even won an argument or get the better of me in any area of life cause I am alway ready to out-stubborn them. And believe me they back off in the end.

The thing is Igbos are too quick to celebrate when they win a battle forgetting that the war is yet to be won.

I dont hate but I react.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SonOfEl(m): 1:53pm On Aug 20, 2015
ibedun:

Look o I know ya place very well. I was in Awka, Asaba and Onitcha not too long ago. I took pic on the creaking Niger Bridge and under Ojukwu's sculpture just after the bridge and the almighty Onitcha Market.

One thing is for sure, in comparison to the North and West there are no cities in Igboland just towns.

Igbos are usually indomitable when they interact with calm people. None has even won an argument or get the better of me in any area of life cause I am alway ready to out-stubborn them. And believe me they back off in the end.

The thing is Igbos are too quick to celebrate when they win a battle forgetting that the war is yet to be won.

I dont hate but I react.

beneath your response conceals your jealousy..... the reason why you can go this far in commenting is because my brother whom you are responding to did not explain the perspective of what "civilized" meant in the slavery era

12 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 20, 2015
Divide and rule system and you all are falling for it all over again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

He actually did have some good words for the Yoruba on page 93/94. But he made some distinction between coastal Yorubas (more barbarous) and the interior ones (less barbarous) on page 103

There is also a full chapter dedicated to Abeokuta, especially on the missionary work they were doing there.

this why the ondo Yoruba 're more refined? interior?

2 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2015
ROSSIKE:
That satanic, racist devil should be roasting in the hottest parts of hell now, so his views mean nothing.

yes we believe the writer is racist. but one thing he is not is biased...

the writer is not biased..

he said the truth we all kno and see every day

7 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by FKO81(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2015
ibedun:

I dont hate but I react.
Coming from brown roof republic I can feel jealous, envy, bitterness which you are born with, for you to say there are no cities in southeast shows you most be first son of devil himself, I spent almost 15yrs in southwest I have been to all the states in west I have a lots of pictures from west, which i don't want to post here, I have not seen any state in southwest that can be compare to southeastern states especially Anambra, Enugu, Imo and Abia state in terms of developments excluding Lagos, I know how you guys live.

I guess that's the creaking bridge?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by mikolo80: 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2015
SOUNDKING:
the book told the wise that "there is nothing one about the zoo".
guy leave dat thing. we all rise for national anthem when eagles or Olympians win medals. things are bad but hope de
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by DonXavi(m): 6:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
patmaine:

yes we believe the writer is racist. but one thing he is not is biased...

the writer is not biased..

he said the truth we all kno and see every day
You are quite right here. The writer was a racist, for sure, but he wasn't biased at all. Most of the remarks he made about some of the ethnic groups are true judging by what we still see today. Those traits of indomitability he noted about the Igbos are still evident even today and as such has attracted hatred from their neighbours in the country they're lumped together into.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Tkester: 6:08pm On Aug 20, 2015
Honestly, I feel the best thing for the igbos is to have their own country. You can imagine the level of devt that will bring to the igbo nation.

Funny enough, I quite didn't believe this BIAFRA thingy before, but had a change of mind after 2011 elections, when The Hausas threatened Jonathan's govt simply because their own lost the election. I asked Myself why will the Hausas make such threat if we (they) claim we are one?, it was only then that it dawned on me that we have been living a lie.

I want to urge all umu afor to remain resolutely determined in our struggle for self actualization, as this struggle will be fought with the shedding of many bloods and cries but The end thereof is glorious.

I cannot imagine having children today and one of the gifts I will give them is to have them share the same country with wicked and imbecilic foolanis . In The igbo land we are reasonable, educated, civil, hardworking, and we are christians, these qualities seperate us from The rest of the nation (yorubas and Hausas inclusive). The only region in Nigeria with a homogenious religion is The igbos, as we are 97% Christians and that's why we are peaceful, and blessed, and want to go our own way, because there is no communion between light (igbos) and darkenss (Nigeria).

What's more is that we love ourselves and we are achievers. So Umunnem please let us perservere in this struggle because this is what we are known for, we never say die, Until we get what we want. I can see the glories coming from Ala BIAFRA. It's glories are unending. Therefore every nwa afor has a duty to say and propagate the BIAFRA philosophy everyday of his life, just make it a point of duty to say the word BIAFRA everyday to someone and by so doing our voice will be heard.

God bless the struggles of the igbos worldwide, we are proud of ourselves!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

Yes, Igbos do not accept domination from others= indomitable
Is slavery itself not domination
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by iamord(m): 6:17pm On Aug 20, 2015
mykl01:
Divide and rule system and you all are falling for it all over again.
exactly my thoughts
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by TRUTHTOPOWER: 6:20pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

Well! Well!! Well!!! Can anyone interprete what the bolded portion means: It means even if the Ibo man is angry, he must not be punished for it because he is the best you can get, unless you want to destroy your own house. This is a message for Nigeria

With all due respect, Africans should not validate the racial profilig of our ancestors. Even though the author conceded right of freedom for Yorubas, Nupes and Hausas (being good niggers and Almost civilized) his estimation of our African brothers as deserving of slavery is uncharitable, inhuman and reprehensible. I hope you will reflect on this and insist that all races are equally and deserving of human rights

1 Like

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SonOfEl(m): 6:23pm On Aug 20, 2015
saxywale:
Is slavery itself not domination
that is why IGBOS find it unacceptable.

7 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Abagworo(m): 6:27pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

He actually did have some good words for the Yoruba on page 93/94. But he made some distinction between coastal Yorubas (more barbarous) and the interior ones (less barbarous) on page 103

There is also a full chapter dedicated to Abeokuta, especially on the missionary work they were doing there.

He wrote that the coastal people were uncivilised and were almost dominated by their Yoruba neighbours.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Abagworo(m): 6:28pm On Aug 20, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

With all due respect, Africans should not validate the racial profilig of our ancestors. Even though the author conceded right of freedom for Yorubas, Nupes and Hausas (being good niggers and Almost civilized) his estimation of our African brothers as deserving of slavery is uncharitable, inhuman and reprehensible. I hope you will reflect on this and insist that all races are equally and deserving of human rights

I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SonOfEl(m): 6:29pm On Aug 20, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

you used 'style' to acknowledge what the racist said about your ethnicity as regards being good and civilized, and then ignored every other positive statements he made. gotcha! though generally stating, you are right

2 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Vicotex(m): 6:40pm On Aug 20, 2015
i smell fp, this thread is about to hit the FP
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by izzyu(m): 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:
See what they said about the rest of the Niggers

The fantees (Fanti) are from Ghana, but they have ethnic relationship with one of the major ethnic groups of Nigeria. Which one? The one that starts with Y. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Central Africa: Adventures and Missionary Labors in Several Countries in the Interior of Africa, from 1849 to 1856, Thomas Jefferson Bowen, Southern Baptist Publication Society, 1857, Page 93-95

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy :lol!!! You no go kill me o!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Can someone make a search on yoruba on google and see what im seeing. lol!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by dmz1: 7:11pm On Aug 20, 2015
every book written by the explorers and missionaries always put the Igbo's in a positive light.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by splashbaby(m): 7:19pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

Well! Well!! Well!!! Can anyone interprete what the bolded portion means: It means even if the Ibo man is angry, he must not be punished for it because he is the best you can get, unless you want to destroy your own house. This is a message for Nigeria
Children of anger.... Destroyed themselves during the Civil War.... Etching to repeat their folly.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SonOfEl(m): 7:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
splashbaby:
Children of anger.... Destroyed themselves during the Civil War.... Etching to repeat their folly.

you stink of envy....abeg fly away with your broomstick....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:43pm On Aug 20, 2015
SonOfEl:

you used 'style' to acknowledge what the racist said about your ethnicity as regards being good and civilized, and then ignored every other positive statements he made. gotcha! though generally stating, you are right

"gotcha?!" lol. at least we all agree that all men are created equal. cheers.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Sparkle777(f): 8:39pm On Aug 20, 2015
Wait ooo. The writer said that the eboes are fair in complexion,some almost white. Where did the fairness come from? Does it mean,no other tribes had fair ppl?
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SOUNDKING: 9:17pm On Aug 20, 2015
mikolo80:
guy leave dat thing. we all rise for national anthem when eagles or Olympians win medals. things are bad but hope de
you need to grow up,Nigeria can never be good in this present system,besides,Nigeria has too much innocent blood in her hands,know ye that "there are basis that dettermines the unity of a nation,the whites that brought it together knew it can't last for long,that was why they put an expiry date on it,Africa should realise that "two cannot work together unless they agree,we were living our lives before the whites came,Ghadaffi knew Nigeria can't work,but selfishness has clouded our reasons that we prefer to live for ourselves alone,but,it is too late,,, the zoo must fall,if you love her you can fight and die for her. Nigeria is just a british business empire.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by ideykwum: 9:18pm On Aug 20, 2015
Racism is a form of bias!

DaBullIT:
Writer is racist

Note Racist , not Biased
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by nochildsplay(m): 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ramnon2:

ewu!...... It simply means when you "Igbo Nigro" misbehave, the act of correction is to gun you down
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by nochildsplay(m): 10:54pm On Aug 20, 2015
Tkester:
Honestly, I feel the best thing for the igbos is to have their own country. You can imagine the level of devt that will bring to the igbo nation.

Funny enough, I quite didn't believe this BIAFRA thingy before, but had a change of mind after 2011 elections, when The Hausas threatened Jonathan's govt simply because their own lost the election. I asked Myself why will the Hausas make such threat if we (they) claim we are one?, it was only then that it dawned on me that we have been living a lie.

I want to urge all umu afor to remain resolutely determined in our struggle for self actualization, as this struggle will be fought with the shedding of many bloods and cries but The end thereof is glorious.

I cannot imagine having children today and one of the gifts I will give them is to have them share the same country with wicked and imbecilic foolanis . In The igbo land we are reasonable, educated, civil, hardworking, and we are christians, these qualities seperate us from The rest of the nation (yorubas and Hausas inclusive). The only region in Nigeria with a homogenious religion is The igbos, as we are 97% Christians and that's why we are peaceful, and blessed, and want to go our own way, because there is no communion between light (igbos) and darkenss (Nigeria).

What's more is that we love ourselves and we are achievers. So Umunnem please let us perservere in this struggle because this is what we are known for, we never say die, Until we get what we want. I can see the glories coming from Ala BIAFRA. It's glories are unending. Therefore every nwa afor has a duty to say and propagate the BIAFRA philosophy everyday of his life, just make it a point of duty to say the word BIAFRA everyday to someone and by so doing our voice will be heard.

God bless the struggles of the igbos worldwide, we are proud of ourselves!
but no one is stopping you Igbos from standing alone as a Nation na .......... Can't even wait for Igbo's to disappear from Lagos
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by nochildsplay(m): 11:06pm On Aug 20, 2015
SOUNDKING:
you need to grow up,Nigeria can never be good in this present system,besides,Nigeria has too much innocent blood in her hands,know ye that "there are basis that dettermines the unity of a nation,the whites that brought it together knew it can't last for long,that was why they put an expiry date on it,Africa should realise that "two cannot work together unless they agree,we were living our lives before the whites came,Ghadaffi knew Nigeria can't work,but selfishness has clouded our reasons that we prefer to live for ourselves alone,but,it is too late,,, the zoo must fall,if you love her you can fight and die for her. Nigeria is just a british business empire.
Igbo man, it's as simple as carrying all your Ghana must go from the so call Nigerian and go and form your Biafra where you believe it's suitable for you especially those in Lagos

Na by force to fight ?

1 Like

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by mikolo80: 11:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
SOUNDKING:
no my friend, it is you who needs to grow up.
only a bad workman blames his tools
have we been dealt a shitty hand, depends
can we turn it around,most assuredly
all we have to do is agree
I have a military background
we can make people work together even if they e don't agree
called leadership in crisis situation
Singapore, Malaysia, and China, even the USA has diverse population
have they visited, most definitely
I love my nation
I will fight for her
I will die trying
I wonder what you will die doing
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 20, 2015
senseless post
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 21, 2015
When oyibo man is describing some Igbos as "nearly white" grin grin grin
Compare with what Ahmadu Bello had to say about Igbo people:

[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDaHlTaHJw
[/flash]

Conclusion: "Ndi Igbo amaka !!"

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 21, 2015
SonOfEl:
the racist's soul is either in heaven or hell. that's by the way. like Jews, there is an account of our slavery, and even in that, our most conspicous traits and attributes are seen and acknowledged.

IGBOS, even in slavery, have an indomitable spirit.
"Gambari slavery" is not our portion IJN grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Division In APC Over Plans To Expel Amosun, Okorocha / Emir Of Bugundu: How Bandits Negotiated Multi-Million Naira Ransom After 32 Days / Aghughu Adolphus Uncovers Multi-Billion Naira ‘Fraud’ In National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.