Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,840 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) (17733 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 12:26am On Aug 21, 2015
dmz1:
every book written by the explorers and missionaries always put the Igbo's in a positive light.

No wonder Igbophobia will never depart from Nairaland.

10 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Ramnon2: 1:44am On Aug 21, 2015
Abagworo:

He wrote that the coastal people were uncivilised and were almost dominated by their Yoruba neighbours.

You lack comprehension skills. Go back and read the section again; this time very slowly. He was talking about the Yoruba in both cases.

4 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Ramnon2: 1:48am On Aug 21, 2015
saxywale:

Is slavery itself not domination
Igbos are the only slaves who revolted, with many jumping into the ocean rather than being slaves. Google "Ibo landing".

9 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Ramnon2: 1:50am On Aug 21, 2015
nochildsplay:
ewu!...... It simply means when you "Igbo Nigro" misbehave, the act of correction is to gun you down

Olodo. Go back and read that again. Empty brain Yoruba man

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 4:34am On Aug 21, 2015
Only if Igbos will take time and study who their forbears were and their great achievements, most of you will go mad in anger for the intentional subjugation and obfuscation of your true identity. One thing you may have noticed is all books written pre and during colonial era all mention Igbos and speak highly of them.

I have said and will continue to say this...Igbos are not ordinary black people; whites are aware of this as clearly evidenced in the words of the author. Give them Biafra and watch them build a civilization never seen before in a black nation. Give them 20 yrs, they will be in space to hang Biafran flag. This is what the world fears...a black nation doing this.

I thank God for Nnamdi Kanu who is doing a fabulous job reeducating our people again.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by nochildsplay(m): 10:47am On Aug 21, 2015
Ramnon2:

Olodo. Go back and read that again. Empty brain Yoruba man
Oga, am a proud Yoruba man and I don't see why I have to go back and read that sh*t. Cos all ur aggressive brothers want is Mayhem.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SonOfEl(m): 3:04am On Aug 22, 2015
nochildsplay:
Oga, am a proud Yoruba man and I don't see why I have to go back and read that sh*t. Cos all ur aggressive brothers want is Mayhem.

go to hell

8 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:03am On Aug 22, 2015
Ramnon2:

Well! Well!! Well!!! Can anyone interprete what the bolded portion means: It means even if the Ibo man is angry, he must not be punished for it because he is the best you can get, unless you want to destroy your own house. This is a message for Nigeria

When a white man extols a slave it means the nigger is a good slave worthy of keeps. What makes a good slave? Obedience, simple! Yessa Massa!

In Haiti, the Dahomeans and Ashantis revolted. In Bahia the Yorubas revolted...to the point that many were repatriated out of Bahia and back home to West Africa rather than risk another uprising and victory in the hands of slaves.

It shows what Iboes have always been, and what they are till today .....a people perfectly endowed for servitude!

2 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by SonOfEl(m): 5:17am On Aug 22, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

When a white man extols a slave it means the nigger is a good slave worthy of keeps. What makes a good slave? Obedience, simple! Yessa Massa!

In Haiti, the Dahomeans and Ashantis revolted. In Bahia the Yorubas revolted...to the point that many were repatriated out of Bahia and back home to West Africa rather than risk another uprising and victory in the hands of slaves.

It shows what Iboes have always been, and what they are till today .....a people perfectly endowed for servitude!

you better don't kill yourself of jealousy.

13 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Ramnon2: 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

Bloody illiterate. Have you heard of Igbo landing >>>>google? It is about Igbo slaves who revolted in America, and is one of the few recorded slave revolt cases. And you liar, there was no recorded Yoruba slave revolt anywhere in history that I know of. Show me one.

15 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Bialegend(m): 3:13pm On Sep 01, 2015
BraniacX:
Let's kill the tribalism abeg, this is the opinion of a racist slaver cum missionary and as such should be ignored and treated with revulsion
Don't be silly, you yorober ignorant fool who sees racism and tribalism in everything. You want to suppress our history because it wasn't written by the Lagos-Ibadan express press to favor your barbarous clan. What are you afraid of? This is history written down by independent observers many centuries ago and you can't rewrite but accept it, sorry. You want to ignore facts when you should be advocating for it to be taught in schools for the benefit of our children. No wonder you Nigerians lag behind in everything. This is exactly how your fathers suppressed the Biafran civil war history and stopped it being taught in schools while using your Lagos-Ibadan useless press to rewrite what actually caused the war and try to confuse our Igbo children as to what actually happened and lead to the war. Racist ko, missionary ni.

8 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Bialegend(m): 3:48pm On Sep 01, 2015
pazienza:
The book wrote about almost all the ethnic groups in West Africa, why exactly did the OP decide to pick Ndiigbo out, as a suitable topic for the thread?
To disprove all your garbage Lagos-Ibadan useless propaganda of yorober being this and that when they are nothing but babrbarous, shrewed and thiefry ethinic group as the independent observer rightly noticed many years ago. The independent observer laid it bare as to who is who among all the ethnic groups of West Africa, so go figure.

5 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Bialegend(m): 3:55pm On Sep 01, 2015
ibedun:

Look o I know ya place very well. I was in Awka, Asaba and Onitcha not too long ago. I took pic on the creaking Niger Bridge and under Ojukwu's sculpture just after the bridge and the almighty Onitcha Market.

One thing is for sure, in comparison to the North and West there are no cities in Igboland just towns.

Igbos are usually indomitable when they interact with calm people. None has even won an argument or get the better of me in any area of life cause I am alway ready to out-stubborn them. And believe me they back off in the end.

The thing is Igbos are too quick to celebrate when they win a battle forgetting that the war is yet to be won.

I dont hate but I react.
Stop being silly. Tell us which cities and where they existed in the North and West in those days that this European observed all these. Do you know the definition of city and that of town?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Bialegend(m): 3:58pm On Sep 01, 2015
patmaine:

yes we believe the writer is racist. but one thing he is not is biased...

the writer is not biased..

he said the truth we all kno and see every day
No mind that mumu called rossike. All the observation of the so called racist is actually what we are seeing today in our everyday life. Who says history ain't good.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Bialegend(m): 4:06pm On Sep 01, 2015
DonXavi:
You are quite right here. The writer was a racist, for sure, but he wasn't biased at all. Most of the remarks he made about some of the ethnic groups are true judging by what we still see today. Those traits of indomitability he noted about the Igbos are still evident even today and as such has attracted hatred from their neighbours in the country they're lumped together into.
That indomitable spirit is the reason why the British during independence, overlooked the Igbo and handed over the ruling of their estate called Nigeria into the hands of those they see as mumus that will always bend their arrss when asked to do so. They knew all the ethnic groups very well and know that Igbos don't take nonsense from anyone and as such their estate can not last long enough for them to plunder as they wish, where the Igbos left on their own. They sited all the military installation in the north to use in checkmating the Igbos whenever they rise up to take their destiny into their hands, yet that ain't detering Igbos in their quest to free themselves from the british shackle of slavery which the north and west desires so much to be left into.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Bialegend(m): 4:12pm On Sep 01, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

With all due respect, Africans should not validate the racial profilig of our ancestors. Even though the author conceded right of freedom for Yorubas, Nupes and Hausas [b](being good niggers [/b]and Almost civilized) his estimation of our African brothers as deserving of slavery is uncharitable, inhuman and reprehensible. I hope you will reflect on this and insist that all races are equally and deserving of human rights
You know you are useless when a European master slaver addresses you as good nigger. That word "good nigger" is derogatory. Only when you are fit to be used in subdueing and arresting the development of others for their (Europeans) profit as we are seeing in Nigeria today.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by londoner: 7:16pm On Sep 01, 2015
Lol...this is funny Yoruba, Igbo, Ashanti....whatever....all were made slaves. What is there to boast of in that fact?
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
What is there to boast about is that Igbo revolted against the slave master and history recorded it
londoner:
Lol...this is funny Yoruba, Igbo, Ashanti....whatever....all were made slaves. What is there to boast of in that fact?

1 Like

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by londoner: 10:19pm On Sep 01, 2015
DikeOha882:
What is there to boast about is that Igbo revolted against the slave master and history recorded it

But they were also made slaves in the first place, history recorded that too. Its not as if every place that had Igbo's experienced revolts or that Igbo's were the only ones that attempted it. Do you know how many islands and countries that had both Igbo and Yoruba slaves but did not record them revolting?

The boasting is unnecessary IMO.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by BraniacX(m): 11:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
Bialegend:

Don't be silly, you yorober ignorant fool who sees racism and tribalism in everything. You want to suppress our history because it wasn't written by the Lagos-Ibadan express press to favor your barbarous clan. What are you afraid of? This is history written down by independent observers many centuries ago and you can't rewrite but accept it, sorry. You want to ignore facts when you should be advocating for it to be taught in schools for the benefit of our children. No wonder you Nigerians lag behind in everything. This is exactly how your fathers suppressed the Biafran civil war history and stopped it being taught in schools while using your Lagos-Ibadan useless press to rewrite what actually caused the war and try to confuse our Igbo children as to what actually happened and lead to the war. Racist ko, missionary ni.

The same special treatment GEJ has been giving to APC and buhari is what you'll get from me

And by the time you grow some brains, you'll realise that that yoruba man is much more of a brother to you than this white man will ever be but why should you listen to me?

lipsrsealed s lipsrsealed I lipsrsealed l lipsrsealed e lipsrsealed n lipsrsealed c lipsrsealed elipsrsealed lipsrsealed i lipsrsealed s lipsrsealed lipsrsealed g lipsrsealed o lipsrsealed l lipsrsealed d lipsrsealed e lipsrsealed n lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ! lipsrsealed ! lipsrsealed ! lipsrsealed
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 01, 2015
obviously the eboes need something with which to stroke their egos and feel good about themselves. carry on jare. nothing do you. eboes been suffering from inferiority complex since 1800 B.C.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by basilo101: 1:35am On Sep 02, 2015
Ioannes:
obviously the eboes need something with which to stroke their egos and feel good about themselves. carry on jare. nothing do you. eboes been suffering from inferiority complex since 1800 B.C.
Lol, inferiority complex because it didnt favour u. U probably open wit hope to see smting negative

5 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by carnegiefan: 2:01am On Sep 02, 2015
Sparkle777:
Wait ooo. The writer said that the eboes are fair in complexion,some almost white. Where did the fairness come from? Does it mean,no other tribes had fair ppl?

No, it simply means that he observed more fair skinned populations in Igbo land than in other negroid places in Africa.

I have often cautioned my Igbo brothers not to quickly dismiss a possible link with the Israelite of the Bible.
The first day I saw Bianca Onoh, I was convinced that her mother must be white -cos I knew her dad was black- but it turned out that her mum was black also.
If both of her parents were black, where did her looks come from?

Even today,I know many Igbo who have "white" features: skin complexion, hair texture, frame, etc.

Without a doubt, there is something very "Un-negro" about the Igbo, but we are proud Africans.

1 Like

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by carnegiefan: 2:06am On Sep 02, 2015

1 Like

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by londoner: 7:37am On Sep 02, 2015
carnegiefan:

No, it simply means that he observed more fair skinned populations in Igbo land than in other negroid places in Africa.

I have often cautioned my Igbo brothers not to quickly dismiss a possible link with the Israelite of the Bible.
The first day I saw Bianca Onoh, I was convinced that her mother must be white -cos I knew her dad was black- but it turned out that her mum was black also.

Even today,I know many Igbo who have "white" features: skin complexion, hair texture, frame, etc.

Without a doubt, there is something very "Un-negro" about the Igbo, but we are proud Africans.

You are attributing black features to white people. There are ranges of skin tones features and hair textures that are black. Which race only has one type of skin tone features etc. Look at the range belonging to the white and Asian races....why would the black race lack the same naturally occurring variety?

We need to stop seeing ourselves as a stereotype. It is the white man that created the lie that we don't naturally have that range because racism and racial segregation hinges on the suggestion that certain features are only European or Caucasian.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Deltagiant: 7:58am On Sep 02, 2015
Ramnon2:
The name of the book is: Central Africa: Adventures and Missionary Labors in Several Countries in the Interior of Africa, from 1849 to 1856, Thomas Jefferson Bowen, Southern Baptist Publication Society, 1857.

The statement (in the book page in photo) is quoted below

Source https://books.google.com/books?id=SCgbAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA13&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

For reference purposes.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 02, 2015
Tkester:
Honestly, I feel the best thing for the igbos is to have their own country. You can imagine the level of devt that will bring to the igbo nation.

Funny enough, I quite didn't believe this BIAFRA thingy before, but had a change of mind after 2011 elections, when The Hausas threatened Jonathan's govt simply because their own lost the election. I asked Myself why will the Hausas make such threat if we (they) claim we are one?, it was only then that it dawned on me that we have been living a lie.

I want to urge all umu afor to remain resolutely determined in our struggle for self actualization, as this struggle will be fought with the shedding of many bloods and cries but The end thereof is glorious.

I cannot imagine having children today and one of the gifts I will give them is to have them share the same country with wicked and imbecilic foolanis . In The igbo land we are reasonable, educated, civil, hardworking, and we are christians, these qualities seperate us from The rest of the nation (yorubas and Hausas inclusive). The only region in Nigeria with a homogenious religion is The igbos, as we are 97% Christians and that's why we are peaceful, and blessed, and want to go our own way, because there is no communion between light (igbos) and darkenss (Nigeria).

What's more is that we love ourselves and we are achievers. So Umunnem please let us perservere in this struggle because this is what we are known for, we never say die, Until we get what we want. I can see the glories coming from Ala BIAFRA. It's glories are unending. Therefore every nwa afor has a duty to say and propagate the BIAFRA philosophy everyday of his life, just make it a point of duty to say the word BIAFRA everyday to someone and by so doing our voice will be heard.

God bless the struggles of the igbos worldwide, we are proud of ourselves!

May Chukwu Okike Abiama bless you and your family immensely!
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Deltagiant: 8:26am On Sep 02, 2015
carnegiefan:

This is not the first time a white would make this "white" observation about the Igbo people. There are so many of such observations in medieval anthropolgy. A cousin of mine, IGBO, with black features who lives in the US once told me how she was informed that her geneology showed traces of caucasian people. She was so surprised and decided to do it the second time elsewhere, and convincinly the result was the same.

The issue of Igbo and or semitic connection has been proved beyond reasonable doubt. GAD was the son of ERI, ARELI and ARODI in the Bible, Genesis 46: 16.

ERI, so pronounced, replicates as a man who founded Umu-Eri town. ARELI, so pronounced, replicates as a man who founded Agu-reli town and so with the Arodi and Aro town. Then the ancient courtyard/temple called Obu-Gad (the abode of Gad in Aguleri existing for thousands of years). How could all these be by happenstance? Then the unique hebraic customs of Igbo people....

Something un-negro about Igbo people? A resounding yes!

5 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Sparkle777(f): 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2015
carnegiefan:

Even today,I know many Igbo who have "white" features: skin complexion, hair texfture, frame, etc.
Without a doubt, there is something very "Un-negro" about the Igbo, but we iare proud Africans.

You re right cos am igbo and very fair so are some of my relatives. We do have negroid features,which baffles me cos its just like any other african. Anyway, i ll like to know much more abt dis matter.

2 Likes

Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 03, 2015
basilo101:

Lol, inferiority complex because it didnt favour u. U probably open wit hope to see smting negative
Lol. you are right though. but i wonder why these two groups can't stop bickering and be friends. IMHO we better off as friends than enemies.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 03, 2015
I can see some igbo claiming white and European and Israelite because they have fair skin? really! talk about the height of inferiority complex. have you seen any Fulani recently, with their fair skin and pointed nose? can't remember anyone of them claiming American, or even arab or whatever. it's all good though. when you are given biafra you can all relocate to Israel. we will help you pack.
Re: Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) by TRUTHTOPOWER: 4:47pm On Sep 03, 2015
Bialegend:

You know you are useless when a European master slaver addresses you as good nigger. That word "good nigger" is derogatory. Only when you are fit to be used in subdueing and arresting the development of others for their (Europeans) profit as we are seeing in Nigeria today.

This is not an ego bruising mission: the author remarked that certain tribes do not deserve enslavement. our view is: no one deserves enslavement; slavery is prohibited under jus cogens. This is a response to a tribal post which sought to validate the author's criminal profiling of the black race. misplaced sense of anger does nothing but lend credence to the jaundiced view the white author.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kemi Adeosoun On Channels TV Live / Presidency: Don’t Ruin South East Chances, Ohanaeze Begs IPOB / CBN Probe: Emefiele’s Driver, 19 Apex Bank Officials Quizzed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.