Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,683 members, 7,816,787 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! (20121 Views)

Kaduna Adopts Finland Education System; To Pay Teachers More – El-Rufai / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / Certificate Conscious Nigeria. How Far We Have Produced Graduate Dummies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 4:14pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Obviously, you've planned everything out from years back.

Well I've always known I didn't wanna work a job even while in Uni so when I first read rich dad, poor dad I found what was missing. But honestly, it was until I started the journey of change that I started to see my life ahead of me. I was first amazed how clear it was, but as it got clearer, I got more confident.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

Well I've always known I didn't wanna work a job even while in Uni so when I first read rich dad, poor dad I found what was missing. But honestly, it was until I started the journey of change that I started to see my life ahead of me. I was first amazed how clear it was, but as it got clearer, I got more confident.

Good for you sir. It's now very much obvious success is never an accident.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 4:24pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Good for you sir. It's now very much obvious success is never an accident.

No it's not bro, it's a journey riddled with the process of conscious thought and awareness and applied through a set of plans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

No it's not bro, it's a journey riddled with the process of conscious thought and awareness and applied through a set of plans.

I agree....With every passing moment it becomes clearer that where I am at the moment IS the summation of all the habits and decisions I've taken down the years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by bare1(m): 4:31pm On Aug 23, 2015
dearpreye:

I agree....With every passing moment it becomes clearer that where I am at the moment IS the summation of all the habits and decisions I've taken down the years.

True.....if you want to know the quality of your thoughts, check your results and what you're producing.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 23, 2015
bare1:

True.....if you want to know the quality of your thoughts, check your results and what you're producing.

OMG!

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by kaboninc(m): 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2015
francizy:
I still maintain that skills does it all. Education to me is just a plus. Academic learning without skills to back it up, does little to elevate one especially in a difficult country like ours.

If I had known how much skills are worth, how much people make for doing what they love doing rather than what the society wants from them, I'd have studied either Fine Arts, Architecture or Industrial Design. Because these are courses laced with real time practice whether in an advanced country or a country like ours. I used to be very good at reproducing pictures with pencil. Now I would have probable made millions doing my own thing order than banking on the dy/dx and strength of materials the university taught me.

My children will all be enrolled in one training school or the other from their JSS1 (based on the orientation given to them and based on what they choose to learn) and whenever they are on long break. As their dad, I will make sure they balance these skills perfectly well with academics.

Don't get me wrong tho, education is great but the best thing to do for a child is teaching that kid how to make it in life. Apparently, our educational system teaches one how to be dependent and that is why we have hundreds of thousands of job seekers out there.

Now we emphasize on how important education is and then push all our kids to school. Some of them excel in their academics and we love, cherish and shower them with gifts while we despise those ones who don't perform well in school. We've never asked ourseleves questions like, what if the ones taking first position lacks the practical prowess and ability to get things done while the supposed "dull" one might be a practical guru and his brains tend to pick up moving objects better than stories on text books?

There's a point am trying to make here.

Whoever acquires skills or any kind is deemed to be educated. Skills can either be in visible (production of goods) or invisible (rendering of services). All are educated. Going to school ui be educated also means acquiring skills. Education is a skill.

Tailoring, welding, vulcanization, all are skills but are also educated before skills can be obtained. Skills are learned. You even obtain certificates after enrolling in these skill lessons. Bringing to fore what I had earlier said about the importance of certificates - evidence of having requisite knowledge and skill in a given field.

My point has always been the content, structure of education, mode of education we have on ground.

That should be the focus and not fighting about the difference between education and skills.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ogaofficer(m): 11:23pm On Sep 12, 2015
I so much love every comment on this thread, all thanks to dearpreye you will be a Good mentor when it comes to public speaking............. Something have been working very hard to understand without excluding the rules of dale Carnegie. In fact i hope have found a mentor. Following you from now henceforth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
ogaofficer:
I so much love every comment on this thread, all thanks to dearpreye you will be a Good mentor when it comes to public speaking............. Something have been working very hard to understand without excluding the rules of dale Carnegie. In fact i hope have found a mentor. Following you from now henceforth

Thanks for the above encouraging comment. I'm sorry for replying your mention now; was struggling to see some issues off my chest. I'm very fine now.

My dream is to retire as a music teacher and great motivational speaker. And I'm willing to go all out to achieve that.

At the moment, Jim Rohn and Darren Hardy are two of my greatest mentors. I read their books almost everyday.

I'll be very happy to exchange with you. You're so welcome boss. I'm still a learner sir.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ogaofficer(m): 6:45pm On Sep 13, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for the above encouraging comment. I'm sorry for replying your mention now; was struggling to see some issues off my chest. I'm very fine now.

My dream is to retire as a music teacher and great motivational speaker. And I'm willing to go all out to achieve that.

At the moment, Jim Rohn and Darren Hardy are two of my greatest mentors. I read their books almost everyday.

I'll be very happy to exchange with you. You're so welcome boss. I'm still a learner sir.
I will take the last two sentence without any dispute and the reason being is just that you don't know me. Pls sir i dont mind if i can have your Gmail. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2015
ogaofficer:
I will take the last two sentence without any dispute and the reason being is just that you don't know me. Pls sir i dont mind if i can have your Gmail. Thanks

My boss, it's here: apostleship22@gmail.com!
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ogaofficer(m): 9:31am On Sep 14, 2015
Seen.
dearpreye:

My boss, it's here: apostleship22@gmail.com!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 14, 2015
ogaofficer:
Seen.

OK!
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 16, 2015
What's your take on this, sir ideykwum?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ideykwum: 8:04pm On Sep 16, 2015
Just seeing this!

Will respond shortly!

dearpreye:
What's your take on this, sir ideykwum?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 16, 2015
ideykwum:
Just seeing this!

Will respond shortly!

It's OK sir.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 16, 2015
I can see some gurus here.

Am I qualified to contribute?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2015
Teempakguy:
I can see some gurus here.

Am I qualified to contribute?

Bro, kindly drop those usually great comments of yours.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ideykwum: 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2015
We should get out of the Kitchen to appreciate air without strong aromas! A trip outside the country will show that Nigeria has gotten the education gambit wrong! It may take generations to correct this anomaly! Buhari hasn't sent a strong signal on education...I'm hoping his choice of minister will!!

A certificate means nothing except a proof of having attempted to acquire knowledge. Like they say, there is a difference between knowledge and learning! Knowledge is storage of data or information for awareness, but until that knowledge leads to a change in behaviour, we can't say we have learnt!!

How have certificates been able to make us learn in this country? A professor of law was recently accused of raping a 20 year old student! Didn't he learn anything from the books of law?? I know he acquired knowledge, but did he learn?? Dearpreye, help me!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Sep 16, 2015
I've taken some time to read through the comments here, and well, I am impressed at the mentality of some Nigerians. So, I will add these few points.

Education . . . well, acquisition of knowledge. Is a means to an end. It has always been so and nothing can change that. The problem has always been the End.

It is often said that knowledge is power. But a well sharpened broadsword is powerless against an 100 year old oak. A SAW is better utilized.
Both the saw and the broadsword are both forms of power. But even power is specific. One form of power CANNOT be used for every situation.

In Nigeria, we have not understood this yet. And until we do, we shall never progress.
In school, you go to earn two things.

1. Education.
2. Proof of Education.

Both 1 and 2 are extremely immense forms of power. Education. Which is knowledge gained. And the proof of this, which manifests in degrees and diplomas.
They are incredibly different and despite the fact that they are gotten through the same source, they serve towards different means.

A degree is great. Seriously. It gives you bragging rights, a higer chance of employment. It attracts the opposite sex. It grants some form of prestige.

But what else?

A degree grants title, not value. It cannot make you a better person. It cannot increase your productivity in the world. It cannot increase your capacity to impact YOUR world. It is just a piece of paper. It can be taken from you. It can be burnt. It can be used to sell buns to primary school pupils.

Education grants more opportunities. However, education in itself is raw material. Inherently useless. Yes, you heard me right. Education is as useless as crude oil. Black, poisonous . . . yes, raw education will only make you a critic that condemns any achievement in his field using proofs and then claiming he has the right because of his degree. an engineer that condemns poor farmer who design crude machines. A doctor that condemns traditional medicine without even knowing what it's made of.

Education has to be refined. Chiseled. It has to be given vision. Purpose.
Which is why I always advice, before going to university, know exactly what you are going to do with whatever you learn there. Anyone who buys an iPad because everyone else is without knowing what it's used for will end up serving food on it.

I know that the school system is to blame. But I believe more in convincing the students who are more likely to listen than the minister of education . . . who . . . I think it's obvious. cheesy

So, my advice is, recognize that you as a person will gain two things from whatever school you go to. Education and proof of it. Remember, it is said that education is the best legacy. Education. NOT THE PROOF. a degree is far from the best legacy. Proof can be found from countless graduates who ride motorcycles for a living.
It is education itself that it the best legacy. That essence that gives you power. Power which, in the hands of a man with vision, can change the world.

This is my humble submission.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 17, 2015
ideykwum:
We should get out of the Kitchen to appreciate air without strong aromas! A trip outside the country will show that Nigeria has gotten the education gambit wrong! It may take generations to correct this anomaly! Buhari hasn't sent a strong signal on education...I'm hoping his choice of minister will!!

A certificate means nothing except a proof of having attempted to acquire knowledge. Like they say, there is a difference between knowledge and learning! Knowledge is storage of data or information for awareness, but until that knowledge leads to a change in behaviour, we can't say we have learnt!!

How have certificates been able to make us learn in this country? A professor of law was recently accused of raping a 20 year old student! Didn't he learn anything from the books of law?? I know he acquired knowledge, but did he learn?? Dearpreye, help me!!

Good morning sir. Thanks for the nice contribution.

With all respect to PMB, considering his academic background, will not have much to say on education. But let's see how his choice of education minister plays out.

Sir, it's time for some real changes to the education sector and system. The current one has to go.

Prof committing a rape? Loss for words.
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 17, 2015
Teempakguy:
I've taken some time to read through the comments here, and well, I am impressed at the mentality of some Nigerians. So, I will add these few points.

Education . . . well, acquisition of knowledge. Is a means to an end. It has always been so and nothing can change that. The problem has always been the End.

It is often said that knowledge is power. But a well sharpened broadsword is powerless against an 100 year old oak. A SAW is better utilized.
Both the saw and the broadsword are both forms of power. But even power is specific. One form of power CANNOT be used for every situation.

In Nigeria, we have not understood this yet. And until we do, we shall never progress.
In school, you go to earn two things.

1. Education.
2. Proof of Education.

Both 1 and 2 are extremely immense forms of power. Education. Which is knowledge gained. And the proof of this, which manifests in degrees and diplomas.
They are incredibly different and despite the fact that they are gotten through the same source, they serve towards different means.

A degree is great. Seriously. It gives you bragging rights, a higer chance of employment. It attracts the opposite sex. It grants some form of prestige.

But what else?

A degree grants title, not value. It cannot make you a better person. It cannot increase your productivity in the world. It cannot increase your capacity to impact YOUR world. It is just a piece of paper. It can be taken from you. It can be burnt. It can be used to sell buns to primary school pupils.

Education grants more opportunities. However, education in itself is raw material. Inherently useless. Yes, you heard me right. Education is as useless as crude oil. Black, poisonous . . . yes, raw education will only make you a critic that condemns any achievement in his field using proofs and then claiming he has the right because of his degree. an engineer that condemns poor farmer who design crude machines. A doctor that condemns traditional medicine without even knowing what it's made of.

Education has to be refined. Chiseled. It has to be given vision. Purpose.
Which is why I always advice, before going to university, know exactly what you are going to do with whatever you learn there. Anyone who buys an iPad because everyone else is without knowing what it's used for will end up serving food on it.

I know that the school system is to blame. But I believe more in convincing the students who are more likely to listen than the minister of education . . . who . . . I think it's obvious. cheesy

So, my advice is, recognize that you as a person will gain two things from whatever school you go to. Education and proof of it. Remember, it is said that education is the best legacy. Education. NOT THE PROOF. a degree is far from the best legacy. Proof can be found from countless graduates who ride motorcycles for a living.
It is education itself that it the best legacy. That essence that gives you power. Power which, in the hands of a man with vision, can change the world.

This is my humble submission.

Some great comment there. As usual!
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by ideykwum: 8:24am On Sep 17, 2015
The worst part is the fact that the guy is a professor of law!!! How bad can it get?

dearpreye:

Good morning sir. Thanks for the nice contribution.

With all respect to PMB, considering his academic background, will not have much to say on education. But let's see how his choice of education minister plays out.

Sir, it's time for some real changes to the education sector and system. The current one has to go.

Prof committing a rape? Loss for words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 17, 2015
ideykwum:
The worst part is the fact that the guy is a professor of law!!! How bad can it get?

That's what happens when only the HEAD is loaded with theorems and edicts. LOL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 17, 2015
Lalasticlala, please help move this message to the FP where a greater number of people can see it. Our education sector is setting us up for inevitable frustration and failure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by AmakaDNBStories(f): 5:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
Check my signature first
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by j4sure(m): 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2015
Since you just moving to front page
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Akerry(m): 5:33pm On Sep 17, 2015
. Your IQ is
responsible for only a tiny portion of your success; it's your
EQ that guarantees the greater part

@dearpreye, it's a good writeup.
please explain the above bolded statement to me.... emphasis should be laid on the differences between the acronyms IQ and EQ.....thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by tonychristopher: 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
To be honest, I am not impressed with First class, Sevond class stuffs, when I conduct interviews, I will just ask simple question...what can you do if I employ you...so if you think you will impress me with those paper qualification ...you are in for a long ride with me.

I learnt this from the Whites...I learnt this in EU , over there in EU especially the Brits and Yankees also, they ask you...dude what can you do?

Try watch the movie '' pursuit of happiness'' and understand this.

Most of the things you learn is gotten from experience not in classroom

this is why the professor of economics can not manage a chewing gum and candy business, but the illiterake abbookkii can manage it and grow it to a big business

the more reason why the guy that graduated from LAGOS BUSINESS SCHOOL can not manage chains of stores but the Igbo guy that just got his freedom will manage it to a conglomerate..ask COSCHARIS and CAPITAL OIL.

these are stuffs you dont learn in classroom, your lectuers doesnt even know it..they are busy striking and sleeping with small girls

So dont impress me with your certificate....i wont buy that

i have seen a lot of so called big cert holders goof

they are the ones that ran this country aground

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 17, 2015
dearpreye:
Why do we go to school? This was the question I asked a few undergraduates the last time I visited a Nigerian University! Almost all the answers bordered on just getting a degree- a Certificate. I didn't blame them that much because the system has been designed to achieve just that. We have a system that places more value on a paper than the actual content on the inside of the possessor of such a certificate.

The future of a nation lies in the PROPER education o it's youths- JFK! No nation ever became great without paying adequate attention to the proper education of its youths. The youths are the future. They are the ttomorrow. If they're given a haphazard level o education, the future of that nation shall be haphazard, disorderly, primitive and grossly underdeveloped.

When I was done talking with those youths, I knew some of them had their orientation changed from certificate - consciousness to education-consciousness.

Education goes way beyond academics. Education is the total transformation of the mental as well as other faculties of the man. Our education merely addresses the academic needs of the students. They're only taught theorems and formulas that are geared towards the achievement of that cerfiticate. Much of what's needed to survive and succeed in the real life are not taught in the university.

A certificate conscious education only produces paper graduates. It discourages students imbibing the culture of reading beyond their exams. As soon as the exams are over, many students never go back to that material again. Why should they go back? They've written the exams. Mission accomplished. Many stop reading once they secured that dream job. Why should they continue? They've secured a job. Mission accomplished. Students read because they want to pass an exam, not because they want to reduce their ignorance OR become better persons.

A certificate - conscious education damages the psyche of students. I've seen students wrote exams on the dirtiest of environments- a grim deviation from the purpose of education. They don't mind writing exams even in a soak-away as far as it's a step towards getting that certificate. I've seen students wrote exams on bare floors. They never thought that should not happen. It meant nothing to them. It's all about the degree. It's all about the certificates. It's all about the paper. Their sense of morality and decency is so destroyed and damaged. They have no limits to what they can bear as far as it brings that degree closer. I've seen students drop dirts on the school campus. It meant nothing to them. No regard for their environment. It's all about the degree.

It produces dummies. It produces certificated dummies. How could a graduate not express themselves in simple terms? One was employed my my company years back. He couldn't even spell basic words. That's the product from a certificate-conscious system. We have many educated dummies in the society, roaming the streets with their papers.

It limits your chances of success. This system creates an entitlement mentality in us. We think by becoming graduates the society owes us a job. How wrong! Your degree, without other personal developmental skills, guarantees more failure than it does success. Your IQ is responsible for only a tiny portion of your success; it's your EQ that guarantees the greater part. Society doesn't owe you a job. You fight and get one for yourself.

It produces dummy leaders. We have them around in the nation. From the national assembly to the governors and to the state assemblies to the LGAs. We have certificated thugs making laws for us. They didn't start there. They are a product of the mad system. People without values, beliefs and traditions are only produced in such an education sector.

You and I didn't go that school to get a degree. You didn't go because others are there. You went there because you saw a need for personal enlightment and education. Are you narrowed to your degree and course? Are you allowing the system to limit you? Are you a slave of the system? You can change all that. Is your academics interfering with your education? Are you properly educated? Look beyond tour degree; it doesn't guarantee food. It doesn't guarantee anything. Develop other skills. Read because you want to develop, not because you want to acquire a paper.

How many of your past courses do you still remember it's contents? Very few, I guess. That's because you threw away the materials after writing the exams!

Make study a habit. Explore. Read. You will not only pass your exams, but you shall always become fit for the challenges life will throw your way after your formal education.

Cc: Lalasticlala, you need to see this also.

A Nigerian Federal University Exams Hall.
IT IS CALL NEW WORLD SLAVERY.

WE ALL GO TO SCH BECOME A COPORATE EEDIOT, WORKING FOR OTHERS WITH THE REST OF OUR LIFE AND AT THE END RECIEVE PENSION AFTER THERE HAVE SUCK YOU DRY.

HAVE YOU EVER WONDER WHY PEOPLE WHO WORK IN THE COMPANY NEVER GET RICH undecided

UNLESS YOU ARE AN ENTERPRIENUR.......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
Akerry:
. Your IQ is
responsible for only a tiny portion of your success; it's your
EQ that guarantees the greater part

@dearpreye, it's a good writeup.
please explain the above bolded statement to me.... emphasis should be laid on the differences between the acronyms IQ and EQ.....thanks

Thanks for the comment brother. You sure know what IQ means. Intelligence Quotient- a measure of one's natural intelligence, while EQ means emotional quotient, the ability to relate with ourselves and with others. Actually EQ has 5 components: self awareness, self regulation, internal motivation, empathy and people (social) skills.

The current workplace is now tilting more and more towards attitude and people skills. Why should an employer pick applicant A instead of B when both have the same qualifications and class of degree or diplomas?
Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
dearpreye:
Why do we go to school? This was the question I asked a few undergraduates the last time I visited a Nigerian University! Almost all the answers bordered on just getting a degree- a Certificate. I didn't blame them that much because the system has been designed to achieve just that. We have a system that places more value on a paper than the actual content on the inside of the possessor of such a certificate.

The future of a nation lies in the PROPER education o it's youths- JFK! No nation ever became great without paying adequate attention to the proper education of its youths. The youths are the future. They are the ttomorrow. If they're given a haphazard level o education, the future of that nation shall be haphazard, disorderly, primitive and grossly underdeveloped.

When I was done talking with those youths, I knew some of them had their orientation changed from certificate - consciousness to education-consciousness.

Education goes way beyond academics. Education is the total transformation of the mental as well as other faculties of the man. Our education merely addresses the academic needs of the students. They're only taught theorems and formulas that are geared towards the achievement of that cerfiticate. Much of what's needed to survive and succeed in the real life are not taught in the university.

A certificate conscious education only produces paper graduates. It discourages students imbibing the culture of reading beyond their exams. As soon as the exams are over, many students never go back to that material again. Why should they go back? They've written the exams. Mission accomplished. Many stop reading once they secured that dream job. Why should they continue? They've secured a job. Mission accomplished. Students read because they want to pass an exam, not because they want to reduce their ignorance OR become better persons.

A certificate - conscious education damages the psyche of students. I've seen students wrote exams on the dirtiest of environments- a grim deviation from the purpose of education. They don't mind writing exams even in a soak-away as far as it's a step towards getting that certificate. I've seen students wrote exams on bare floors. They never thought that should not happen. It meant nothing to them. It's all about the degree. It's all about the certificates. It's all about the paper. Their sense of morality and decency is so destroyed and damaged. They have no limits to what they can bear as far as it brings that degree closer. I've seen students drop dirts on the school campus. It meant nothing to them. No regard for their environment. It's all about the degree.

It produces dummies. It produces certificated dummies. How could a graduate not express themselves in simple terms? One was employed my my company years back. He couldn't even spell basic words. That's the product from a certificate-conscious system. We have many educated dummies in the society, roaming the streets with their papers.

It limits your chances of success. This system creates an entitlement mentality in us. We think by becoming graduates the society owes us a job. How wrong! Your degree, without other personal developmental skills, guarantees more failure than it does success. Your IQ is responsible for only a tiny portion of your success; it's your EQ that guarantees the greater part. Society doesn't owe you a job. You fight and get one for yourself.

It produces dummy leaders. We have them around in the nation. From the national assembly to the governors and to the state assemblies to the LGAs. We have certificated thugs making laws for us. They didn't start there. They are a product of the mad system. People without values, beliefs and traditions are only produced in such an education sector.

You and I didn't go that school to get a degree. You didn't go because others are there. You went there because you saw a need for personal enlightment and education. Are you narrowed to your degree and course? Are you allowing the system to limit you? Are you a slave of the system? You can change all that. Is your academics interfering with your education? Are you properly educated? Look beyond tour degree; it doesn't guarantee food. It doesn't guarantee anything. Develop other skills. Read because you want to develop, not because you want to acquire a paper.

How many of your past courses do you still remember it's contents? Very few, I guess. That's because you threw away the materials after writing the exams!

Make study a habit. Explore. Read. You will not only pass your exams, but you shall always become fit for the challenges life will throw your way after your formal education.

Cc: Lalasticlala, you need to see this also.

A Nigerian Federal University Exams Hall.

Exactly why I dropped out of school. And now I'm better off. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Epitome Model Islamic Schools Celebrates Nigeria 57th Independence In Style / 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) / What Was The Bad Habit Your Roommate Had When In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.