Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! (1806 Views)

Some Nigerians Beg Okonjo-Iweala To Help With Economy On Facebook. Screen Shots / Patience Jonathan With Some Nigerians In Dubai (Photo) / Gov Ambode Asks Nigerians Abroad To Return. . .Lagosians Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 3:47pm On Aug 21, 2015
Some Nigerians abroad go kill me with their foreign accent

Few days ago, I had checked into a Best Western Hotel in a ''remote'' suburb of one of the New England States. Upon checking out a few minutes ago I had to resolve some issues concerning my bill.

At the from desk, I met the Manager, a black woman. After speaking for a while (in my lovely Igbo accent, of course) and she responding in perfect American accent, she went on to ask me, ''where are you from?''. I hesitated a bit, thinking whether to say ''Biafra'' grin grin grin grin or ''Nigeria'', but I answered ''Nigeria''. Then she responded in a thick Igbo accent.'' I knew you were Nigerian when you first spoke''. ''Nice to meet you'' she says. And then went on to say ''My name is Ms Echexxxx, originally from Imo State'' (I have removed the last four letters of her last name).

Hahahah!

Igbo people don "colonize" everywhere and forming Ame. I never expected to see one in this part of America.

Anyways......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by 48noble(m): 3:49pm On Aug 21, 2015
Proudly 5%

4 Likes

Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Cutehector(m): 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
Its normal sha.. Even d whites who come in here and stay for a long time in nigeria learn pidjin... So
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by asha80(m): 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
Francis5 nothing funny in this..some Nigerians genuinely have America or British accent depending on how long they have lived there...moreover in that backward area you described speaking a 'foreign accent' to all those customers might result to 'you say what' being repeated to customer service person

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by delishpot: 3:57pm On Aug 21, 2015
So?

That is the problem with Nigerians. Once you open up to them, you loos3 your respect.
She spoke in the accent people there are used to. You were respecting her and appreciating her Accent. Then she recognise you as her Nwane, you come see say
She dey form Ame
Sh3 get thick igbo accent
She don colonize oyinbo land

3 Likes

Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 3:59pm On Aug 21, 2015
Cutehector:
Its normal sha.. Even d whites who come in here and stay for a long time in nigeria learn pidjin... So

Don't mind me, bro. I know it's "normal". I was just shocked at the sudden transformation from a clear American accent to a clear Nigerian one. Indeed, the saying that while in Rome do as the Romans do is apt.

I guess coming to America as an adult has its disadvantage: I have tried to form Ame but my ''thick Igbotic tongue'' no gree me hahahahahhaha!!
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Cutehector(m): 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:

Don't mind me, bro. I know it's normal. I was just shocked at the sudden transformation from a clear American accent to a clear Nigerian one. Indeed, the saying that while in Rome do as the Romans do is apt.

I guess coming to America as an adult has its disadvantage: I have tried to form Ame but my ''thick Igbotic tongue'' no gree me hahahahahhaha!!
dats d problem, u dnt hav to force urself.. Dats whr most nigerians get it all wrong.. Wen u get thr just speak in ur normal accent, adaptation comes gradually
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by tpiander: 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
who una wan kill now?
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Uncleodi(m): 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
Na so nah! Supiri-Supiri

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by natas22: 4:07pm On Aug 21, 2015
Op on weed grin so you opened a thread because of this, wasting seun's server space.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Ramnon2: 4:08pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:
Some Nigerians abroad go kill me with their foreign accent

Few days ago, I had checked into a Best Western Hotel in a ''remote'' suburb of one of the New England States. Upon checking out a few minutes ago I had to resolve some issues concerning my bill.

At the from desk, I met the Manager, a black woman. After speaking for a while (in my lovely Igbo accent, of course) and she responding in perfect American accent, she went on to ask me, ''where are you from''. I hesitated a bit, thinking whether to say ''Biafra'' grin grin grin grin or ''Nigeria'', but I answered ''Nigeria''. Then she responded in a thick Igbo accent.'' I knew you were Nigerian when you first spoke''. ''Nice to meet you'' she says. And then went on to say ''My name is Ms Echexxxx, originally from Imo State'' (I have removed the last four letters of her last name).

Hahahah!

Igbo people don "colonize" everywhere and forming Ame. I never expected to see one in this part of America.

Anyways......

No surprises
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by tpiander: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2015
why are nairalanders so tripped by best western hotel?

is that the only western hotel which is found in Nigeria?

you always know ti ara oko ba wolu. Na so their eye go dey gape at everything.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 4:13pm On Aug 21, 2015
delishpot:
So?

That is the problem with Nigerians. Once you open up to them, you loos3 your respect.
She spoke in the accent people there are used to. You were respecting her and appreciating her Accent. Then she recognise you as her Nwane, you come see say
She dey form Ame
Sh3 get thick igbo accent
She don colonize oyinbo land

Not sure what you meant by "respecting and appreciating" her accent. If anything she should be the one "respecting" me. Anyways, note that there is a difference between "colonize" and colonize. Got it?
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by tpiander: 4:14pm On Aug 21, 2015
tpiander:

you always know ti ara oko ba wolu. Na so their eye go dey gape at everything.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by tpiander: 4:15pm On Aug 21, 2015
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Ofodirinwa: 4:15pm On Aug 21, 2015
What so Nigerians think is a perfect American accent sounds like Kermit the Frog to actual Americans and you're better off using your Nigerian accent.

An accent isn't the same as pidgin. Pidgin is a sub language with it's own vocabulary. An accent isn't something you can fake, change, or adapt at will. It either happens or it doesn't. When you fake it you end up sounding foolish or harsh to listen to to a native speaker and can only 'fool' people from your country.

I see a lot of Nigerians trying to form 'American accent' and it sounds horrible and strange. If you move to a country after the age of 16 you will always have an accent no matter what. Embrace it and be clear when you speak. Chimamanda Adichie has a Nigerian accent but she's intelligible to everyone because she's clear and poised when speaking. Forming Americana doesn't mean clarity and if you're faking it it's impossible to be clear to anyone except other Nigerians that don't know better.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by delishpot: 4:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:

Not sure what you meant by respect her. If anything she should be the one respecting me. Anyways, note that there is a difference between "colonize" and colonize. Got it?

Ok o. I don hear you.
Just that the topic sounds like say you dey mock the woman. Guy look am well na.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 4:21pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
What so Nigerians think is a perfect American accent sounds like Kermit the Frog to actual Americans and you're better off using your Nigerian accent.

An accent isn't the same as pidgin. Pidgin is a sub language with it's own vocabulary. An accent isn't something you can fake, change, or adapt at will. It either happens or it doesn't. When you fake it you end up sounding foolish or harsh to listen to to a native speaker and can only 'fool' people from your country.

I see a lot of Nigerians trying to form 'American accent' and it sounds horrible and strange. If you move to a country after the age of 16 you will always have an accent no matter what. Embrace it and be clear when you speak. Chimamanda Adichie has a Nigerian accent but she's intelligible to everyone because she's clear and poised when speaking. Forming Americana doesn't mean clarity and if you're faking it it's impossible to be clear to anyone except other Nigerians that don't know better.

Dude, having studied here I know what an American accent sounds like. Ms Echexxxx has it, despite her interchangeable Igbo one.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by tpiander: 4:21pm On Aug 21, 2015
At the from desk, I met the Manager, a black woman. After speaking for a while (in my lovely Igbo accent, of course) and she responding in perfect American accent, she went on to ask me, ''where are you from''. I hesitated a bit, thinking whether to say ''Biafra'' grin grin grin grin or ''Nigeria'', but I answered ''Nigeria''. Then she responded in a thick Igbo accent.'' I knew you were Nigerian when you first spoke''. ''Nice to meet you'' she says. And then went on to say ''My name is Ms Echexxxx, originally from Imo State''

smh.

sometimes its a waste of time being nice to people.

had she frowned at you and sent you on your way without the unnecessary chitchat, you wouldnt have opened this thread.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 4:22pm On Aug 21, 2015
delishpot:

Ok o. I don hear you.
Just that the topic sounds like say you dey mock the woman. Guy look am well na.

Not mocking her at all, just amusing, that's all.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 4:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
tpiander:

smh.

sometimes its a waste of time being nice to people.

had she frowned at you and sent you on your way without the unnecessary chitchat, you wouldnt have opened this thread.

Hey! Buzz off, old hag. No one wants to notice you today. Come back next time
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by delishpot: 4:39pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:

Not mocking her at all, just amusing, that's all.

I get you now.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Ofodirinwa: 4:39pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:

Dude, having studied here I know what an American accent sounds like. Ms Echexxxx has it, despite her interchangeable Igbo one.
ok, that's cool.
I have an American accent and when I try to form a Nigerian one it sounds fake. I wish that wasn't the case because a lot of the time people think i'm trying to form when I talk to them. Or when I meet Nigerians they'll say something annoying like "why are you speaking like this" as if it's a choice. I know how hard it is to 'switch accents', that's why I was skeptical
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Adelaide2: 4:42pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

I know how hard it is to 'switch accents', that's why I was skeptical

Exactly the reason for my shock. If I had noticed any fakeness in her American accent, it would not have shocked me upon knowing she is, or was, also Nigerian.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Ofodirinwa: 4:50pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:

Exactly the reason for my shock. If I had noticed any fakeness in her American accent, it would not have shocked me upon knowing she is, or was, also Nigerian.

Also, Nigerians look at act very distinctly. Even when they have been someone else all their lives. I can tell someone's Nigerians by how the look, how they stand, even how they fit their clothes.

Nigerians usually have exceptionally good posture which is rare in America and angle their chin upwards, which is considered 'aggressive' or 'confrontational' in America. Nigeria girls usually stand with their chest out, and American ones slouch in a little unless they're not very busty and athletic.

Then there's the obvious facial features. I'm seldom surprised to find out someone's is Nigerian, we're very 'obvious'. ESPECIALLY if they're Igbo. This one you're speaking of may have been deceptive
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by ronald4lif(m): 5:00pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

Absolutely factual. A lot of people just rhyme words thinking they have American or British accent which is false and laughable. The way they speak is completely different from the way native of this countries and kids born and grew up here speak.

If one is not born in these countries, spent their childhood and teen years here they can't adapt to their accent and would always have the accent of their home countries.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by tpiander: 5:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
Adelaide2:

Hey! Buzz off, my old hag of a mother. No one wants to notice you today. Come back next time
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Ofodirinwa: 5:14pm On Aug 21, 2015
ronald4lif:

Absolutely factual. A lot of people just rhyme words thinking they have American or British accent which is false and laughable. The way they speak is completely different from the way native of this countries and kids born and grew up here speak.

If one is not born in these countries, spent their childhood and teen years here they can't adapt to their accent and would always have the accent of their home countries.

exactly. There's nothing wrong with having an accent, but so many Nigerians see it as a 'problem' they need to get rid of. It does make it annoying to have an accent in America because Americans can be very ignorant and suddenly turn to deaf people if you say "Cracka" insteand of "Cracker" with their "What did you say?" bullshit.

But even if you fake yankee, they'll still do this, so there's no point. I guess if you want to show other Nigerians that you're 'international' but only someone that was already undereducated razz and crude would do this anyways.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ofodinrinwa, Adelaid

I
Elocution is a key to proper communication. The Whites are going to understand you better than if you tried speaking in proper English regardless of the accent however you cannot escape sounding a bit like them if you are with them, eventually you will acquire the accent. For example, an average Nigerian is going to shorten the vowels ‘aw' in law and ‘a:' in father. If you tried pronouncing words in your Nigerian accent with oral English, you are going to really sound different but if you tried using the same oral language in an American society, with time you would start pronouncing certain vowels like an American. Although I am cognisance of the fact that some merely pretend to speak like a native without pronouncing their words clearly and they just end up muddling their words.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Hila12(m): 10:35am On Aug 23, 2015
ronald4lif:

I agree our mother accent is an intrinsic part of us , but firmly disagree on the born/raised part.

Not in all cases does one need to be born and raised in a place to acquire the accent. Some people are blessed with the 'gift' to pick accents and perfect them in a short time.

Me for example, not proud or anything, I acquired (through interest and constant practice) a posh British accent after only six months in the UK, to the extent white folk still confuse me for a 'black British' or at least 'a long time settler'. Some people can learn accents easier than others, humans are gifted differently.
Re: Some Nigerians Abroad Go Kill Me With Our "Foreign" Accent:lo!l Lol!! Lol!!! by Hila12(m): 10:43am On Aug 23, 2015
asha80:
Francis5 nothing funny in this..some Nigerians genuinely have America or British accent depending on how long they have lived there...moreover in that backward area you described speaking a 'foreign accent' to all those customers might result to 'you say what' being repeated to customer service person

Doesn't depend on how long one has lived there, but in how committed one is to learning the british/american accent, and if there's even interest at all.

An Igbo man can spend 25 years in Ondo State, and still not acquire the yoruba accent. It all lies in 'interest'.

(1) (Reply)

What Will Ojukwu Be Remembered For..? / Polystar Split Unit Air Conditioner 1HP PV-09CS/BR ₦47,850 / Pics Of African And World Leaders Caught Napping In Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.