Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,700 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:15 PM

Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? (9409 Views)

The Cruelty Of Calvinism / Prophet Ufuoma Bernard: "No More Tithing In My Church, Daddy Freeze Is Right" / Calvinism Arminianism Comparison Grid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by Scholar8200(m): 1:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
If I get you right you are saying there is a need for Holiness
Yes! Why? It is the proof of our faith and the workings of Grace!

Bear with this: smiley

Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many
Hebrews 12:14,15

But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
Romans 6:22

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 1:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
ABDULADINO:
My dear neither is. Since we deny freewill and teach God is sovereign in salvation by election and predestination, we are often accused of being calvinists.
Please take time to study Calvinism. It is faithful to scripture at every turn. Indeed it is far more than ''five points''.
The five points enumerated are the points the Arminians took up with the doctrines of the reformers. Before Arminianism, Calvinism existed.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 27, 2015
Scholar8200:

Yes! Why? It is the proof of our faith and the workings of Grace!

Bear with this: smiley

Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many
Hebrews 12:14,15

But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
Romans 6:22
If this is what you mean am in perfect harmony with it..

Only brother you should know the distinction between holiness and Righteousness. Though both are required as said by Christ.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 1:53pm On Aug 27, 2015
An2elect2:

Ok dear.

Though I am not a Calvinist myself, i found most of its points are consistent with the scripture. However, will defend my faith in the name of Christ rather than Calvin/calvinism, because i was taught by Christ Himself.
Good! For myself I found out about Calvinism after I had come to an understanding that salvation cannot be lost. Their views are consistent with the scriptures and I am one. Calvinism is in truth the teaching of the reformers while Arminianism is the view of the Catholic church toned down.
We are either one or the other.

1 Like

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by Scholar8200(m): 1:55pm On Aug 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
If this is what you mean am in perfect harmony with it..

Only brother you should know the distinction between holiness and Righteousness. Though both are required as said by Christ.
Alright!
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 2:08pm On Aug 27, 2015
ABDULADINO:
True..Let God's word be true and every man's be false.
Please tell us what Calvinist teaching you consider to be false.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by An2elect2(f): 2:15pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

Good! For myself I found out about Calvinism after I had come to an understanding that salvation cannot be lost. Their views are consistent with the scriptures and I am one. Calvinism is in truth the teaching of the reformers while Arminianism is the view of the Catholic church toned down.
We are either one or the other.

True. I will always be on the side of Calvinism as long as the arminian vs calvinism debate persists, but at the end of the day i will always want to be identified as nothing else but a Christian. After all, those points are not Calvin's but Christ's! smiley

Albeit some of us choose to identify with some sects, it doesn't really matter as long as we are on the side of truth and the Lord is glorified!

2 Likes

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2015
An2elect2:

True. I will always be on the side of Calvinism as long as the arminian vs calvinism debate persists, but at the end of the day i will always want to be identified as nothing else but a Christian. After all, those points are not Calvin's but Christ's! smiley

Albeit some of us choose to identify with some sects, it doesn't really matter as long as we are on the side of truth and the Lord is glorified!

Here's a shocking thing- Calvinism is not even about Calvin! It is about the teachings of the reformers! Read Martin Luther's ''The Bondage Of The Will'' for example , and you will think it was addressed to Arminians, whereas Arminianism was not in existence during his lifetime.
The book beats to pieces with one blow both Pelagianism and Arminianism.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by malvisguy212: 2:32pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

Please take time to study Calvinism. It is faithful to scripture at every turn. Indeed it is far more than ''five points''.
The five points enumerated are the points the Arminians took up with the doctrines of the reformers. Before Arminianism, Calvinism existed.
The scripture teaches predestination, but not Calvinistic Predestination.

1 Like

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by An2elect2(f): 2:36pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

Here's a shocking thing- Calvinism is not about Calvin! It is about the teachings of the reformers! Read Martin Luther's ''The Bondage Of The Will'' for example , and you will think it was addressed to Arminians, whereas Arminianism was not in existence during his lifetime.
The book beats to pieces with one blow both Pelagianism and Arminianism.

Wow, heard of that book but not read yet. All the Christian bookshops I've been to lack reformed materials/books that i have almost given up visiting any of them again. #sadface#

Can i access this book online? any site at all?

1 Like

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by vooks: 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2015
malvisguy212:
The scripture teaches predestination, but not Calvinistic Predestination.
Calvinism is an empty human philosophy full of contradictions and redefined termx

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by vooks: 3:00pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

EXHAUSTIVE DETERMINISM
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 3:57pm On Aug 27, 2015
An2elect2:

Wow, heard of that book but not read yet. All the Christian bookshops I've been to lack reformed materials/books that i have almost given up visiting any of them again. #sadface#
Chai!

Can i access this book online? any site at all?

Too many sites. Try this link http://www.truecovenanter.com/truelutheran/luther_bow.html
Link modified.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by Scholar8200(m): 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2015
Thank God for the Reformers and their selfless effort to preserve the Truth but we must note the following:

1. Their efforts was to reform not the faith of Christ, but the Roman catholic church;

2. While they were instrumental in making public that which the RCC kept private, they did not author any book of the Bible;

3. It will be wrong to assume that their writings rank with All Scripture: Inspired by God!

4. Just like the christian literatures we have today, their writings indeed contain portions of truth from the Word and commentaries that was skewed in the direction of their personal convictions

5. As a result we can only hold to all that the Bible says and the interpretation thereof as the Spirit reveals and weigh same on the balance that it does not contradict any other passage, God's promises, power, pattern of dealing with men, and purpose.

6. For example, Luther was instrumental to the recovery of the Truth: Justification by faith; however, we will go into error if we follow this mistake he wrote:

Luther now proposed seven measures of “sharp mercy” that German princes could take against Jews: (1) burn their schools and synagogues; (2) transfer Jews to community settlements; (3) confiscate all Jewish literature, which was blasphemous; (4) prohibit rabbis to teach, on pain of death; (5) deny Jews safe-conduct, so as to prevent the spread of Judaism; (6) appropriate their wealth and use it to support converts and to prevent the lewd practice of usury; (7) assign Jews to manual labor as a form of penance...Luther now thought what he had accused Catholics of thinking in 1523: Jews were dogs. “We are at fault for not slaying them,” he fumed shortly before his death.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/1993/issue39/3938.html?start=2

Was Luther saying this out of hatred? NO. Rather it was due to faulty understanding:

Yet rabbinic teaching was madness and blindness that blasphemed Christ, Mary, and the Holy Trinity. Luther could not “have any fellowship or patience with obstinate [Jewish] blasphemers and those who defame this dear Savior.” Blasphemy was a civil crime. To allow it to continue, Luther feared, meant Christians would share in the guilt for it.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/1993/issue39/3938.html?start=1

Any christian knows this is wrong. Even Paul who was stoned etc by these same Jews was passionate about their salvation to the point of wishing himself accursed for their sakes! Any believer who follows this teaching today and does not retrace his steps will die and go to hell as a criminal!

Conclusion? Let's weigh the contents of both schools of thought from a scriptural perspective!

1 Like

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 4:34pm On Aug 27, 2015
Perseverance is up to the believer.
vooks:

Why is faith necessary in the first place?

Many beliefs today are popular because they appeal to our weakness rather than because they are biblical. Such beliefs include spiritual justifications for materialism, theological exemptions from suffering tribulation, and even justifications for not sharing our faith with others. The idea that someone who professes conversion will share eternal life even if they do not persevere as believers in Christ is another belief that is comforting—and dangerously~~~>Dr Craig Keener
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 4:37pm On Aug 27, 2015
JMAN05:

Yes. But if ur question is whether an "elect" can lose salvation. Yes is the answer.
Scripture pls.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 27, 2015
ABDULADINO:
Scripture pls.

2Pet 2:20; 2tim 2:17, 18.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2015
Scholar8200:

1.Perseverance is up to the believer.

2.Read 1John 1:8. The nature of SIN is different from the acts of sin.
3. Ananias and Sapphira never lost their salvation. Killing them was an act of mercy by God. Judas was never saved( John 6:70-71, 13:10-11).

4. Read again CONTEXT. PHIL 3:18 was talking about judaisers infiltrating the gentile church teaching that circumcision was a requirement for salvation.( Phil 3:2).

5. Jude 21 again was quoted out of context. Keeping yourself in God's love is diff from keeping your salvation. We keep ourselves in God's love by praying in the Holy Spirit.

6. Read Galatians 5 with your eyes open wide and understand what "fallen from grace" means.

7. Point is God's mercy triumph over judgement.

8. I never missed the context. It is Christ's righteousness that makes us Holy and white...."our own righteousness is as a filthy rag before Him"...We are overcomers because we put on Christ not the other way rounf...Holiness is not a total absolute perfection...it is through Christ we become Holy.

Concerning the book of life, you don't read one scripture and put your own private intepretation..Read all the entire scripture...because scripture inteprete scripture...Read Exodus 32:32, psalm 69:28, especially Rev 13:8.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 5:27pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

okay, i believe you are referring to salvation unto eternal life.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 5:31pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

"irresistible grace".. The first 3 points agree with pauline epistles.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2015
JMAN05:

2Pet 2:20; 2tim 2:17, 18.
Folks are not "elect"..Are there any elect in HELL?
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by An2elect2(f): 5:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:

Too many sites. Try this link http[url]://www.truecovenanter.com/truelutheran/luther_bow.html[/url]

Thank you dear but this link is taking me to a blank page, jzzzz. Can't see anything...embarassed
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 7:52pm On Aug 27, 2015
An2elect2:

Thank you dear but this link is taking me to a blank page, jzzzz. Can't see anything...embarassed
Give me just a little time, please.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by An2elect2(f): 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:
Give me just a little time, please.
Alright smiley
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 8:23pm On Aug 27, 2015
An2elect2:

Please you can read the abridged version here http://www.reformedreader.org/bow.htm . It will inspire your reading of the whole.
The whole here:
http://www.truecovenanter.com/truelutheran/luther_bow.html or https://www.lutheransonline.com/lo/671/FSLO-1344356671-111671.pdf
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by vooks: 8:30pm On Aug 27, 2015
ABDULADINO:
Perseverance is up to the believer.
Am asking why everyone is not saved yet Christ died for all. Is His blood inaccessible to some?
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by vooks: 8:58pm On Aug 27, 2015

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by ABDULADINO(m): 9:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
vooks:

Am asking why everyone is not saved yet Christ died for all. Is His blood inaccessible to some?
The arminius mocker...According to calvinism( am not one though)..Jesus Christ died for all the Father gave Him to save..next time do your home work properly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by vooks: 9:52pm On Aug 27, 2015
ABDULADINO:
The arminius mocker...According to calvinism( am not one though)..Jesus Christ died for all the Father gave Him to save..next time do your home work properly.

Am asking ABDULADINO not Calvinism.
Why can't/won't you answer this question?

Why is everyone not saved yet Jesus died for all men?
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 10:07pm On Aug 27, 2015
Scholar8200:
Thank God for the Reformers and their selfless effort to preserve the Truth but we must note the following:

1. Their efforts was to reform not the faith of Christ, but the Roman catholic church;

2. While they were instrumental in making public that which the RCC kept private, they did not author any book of the Bible;

3. It will be wrong to assume that their writings rank with All Scripture: Inspired by God!

4. Just like the christian literatures we have today, their writings indeed contain portions of truth from the Word and commentaries that was skewed in the direction of their personal convictions

5. As a result we can only hold to all that the Bible says and the interpretation thereof as the Spirit reveals and weigh same on the balance that it does not contradict any other passage, God's promises, power, pattern of dealing with men, and purpose.

6. For example, Luther was instrumental to the recovery of the Truth: Justification by faith; however, we will go into error if we follow this mistake he wrote:

[b]Luther now proposed seven measures of “sharp mercy” that German princes could take against Jews: (1) burn their schools and synagogues; (2) transfer Jews to community settlements; (3) confiscate all Jewish literature, which was blasphemous; (4) prohibit rabbis to teach, on pain of death; (5) deny Jews safe-conduct, so as to prevent the spread of Judaism; (6) appropriate their wealth and use it to support converts and to prevent the lewd practice of usury; (7) assign Jews to manual labor as a form of penance...Luther now thought what he had accused Catholics of thinking in 1523: Jews were dogs. “We are at fault for not slaying them,” he fumed shortly before his death.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/1993/issue39/3938.html?start=2

Was Luther saying this out of hatred? NO. Rather it was due to faulty understanding:

Yet rabbinic teaching was madness and blindness that blasphemed Christ, Mary, and the Holy Trinity. Luther could not “have any fellowship or patience with obstinate [Jewish] blasphemers and those who defame this dear Savior.” Blasphemy was a civil crime. To allow it to continue, Luther feared, meant Christians would share in the guilt for it.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/1993/issue39/3938.html?start=1

Any christian knows this is wrong. Even Paul who was stoned etc by these same Jews was passionate about their salvation to the point of wishing himself accursed for their sakes! Any believer who follows this teaching today and does not retrace his steps will die and go to hell as a criminal!

Conclusion? Let's weigh the contents of both schools of thought from a scriptural perspective!

[/b]

You are simply playing to the gallery and trying to whip up sentiments. What would have helped your cause is to bring up any of their teaching that is not consistent with scripture.
If you are a protestant, then I must say your post was spiteful and smirks of ingratitude to Luther.
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by 5solas(m): 10:13pm On Aug 27, 2015
vooks:
If you can't grasp simple things, how can you grasp difficult ones?
Re: Calvinism Vs Arminianism - Whose View Is Right? by An2elect2(f): 10:17pm On Aug 27, 2015
5solas:
Thank you!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do I Feel So Scared At Night? / Top 10 Most Religious Countries In The World / Peaceful Debate Between Theists And Atheists Holds Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.