Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,557 members, 7,823,450 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. (3988 Views)

Ministerial Nominee, Kayode Fayemi John’s CV / Behold PMB 21 Ministerial Nominee / Ministerial List: See List Of Speculated Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by whizkid(f): 12:46pm On May 20, 2005
It is a quite a shame that some people occupy important positions in politics without meriting it. How can you explain the fact that a former Ambassador is not aware of government policies. To be precise, Ambassador Adebayo Yusuf, former Ambassodor to Togo, was nominated for the position of the Housing Minister to replace Mrs. Mobolaji Osomo( who was sacked). He could not give the full meaning of the acronym NEEDS( National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy), an economic policy introduced by the FG. You cannot believe is answer and I quote " All I know is that needs is different from wants. And needs is backed with wants"  smiley cheesygrin grin.
Wait! still more, our Ambassador couldn't talk about the reforms going on in the banking industry, he doesn't know the diference between deposits and equity, recommend and nominate shocked. Oh boy! If it was an audition for Papa Ajasco and company, he would have won. grin. He made a complete fool of himself in front of the Senators

And he was an Ambassador? This guy was recommended by the governor of his state, Ondo, Olusegun Agagu and nominated by Mr. President OBJ. What did they base their recommendation on? I wonder. That is how they put incompetent people in high positions. At the end it is the masses that suffers.

God help Nigeria!
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Greatpeter(m): 1:37pm On May 20, 2005
I can't believe this.
Men can this be true or a joke for the century?
If it is, it is too costly.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by demmy(m): 2:42pm On May 20, 2005
Don't be surprised people. Most of our leaders are illiterate, ignorant bunch. I personally know a former Ministry of Commerce senior official who didn't know what inflation is!
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by dominobaby(f): 5:50pm On May 20, 2005
These people were not elected but rather selected or recommended so what do you expect?
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Allenpowered(m): 12:06pm On May 21, 2005
It happens all the time!
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Olatunji(m): 12:54pm On May 21, 2005
This shouldn't be new to us again afterall our so called President doesn't know the price of kerosine even as the Petroleum Minister.It is one of the dividends of democracy!
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by solo2(m): 10:09am On May 22, 2005
What is he going there to do? he should go back home . the seat is not for him, or is OBJ. going to force him on us again?.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by destiny(m): 1:17pm On May 27, 2005
Well, i don't blame the ministerial nominee, this issue is phenomenal; indifference to national ethics is a canker worm and has eaten deep into the fabrics of our nation as an entity.How many of the so called parliamentarians can recite the national anthem without skipping a line?
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 22, 2009
whizkid:

It is a quite a shame that some people occupy important positions in politics without meriting it. How can you explain the fact that a former Ambassador is not aware of government policies. To be precise, Ambassador Adebayo Yusuf, former Ambassodor to Togo, was nominated for the position of the Housing Minister to replace Mrs. Mobolaji Osomo( who was sacked). He could not give the full meaning of the acronym NEEDS( National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy), an economic policy introduced by the FG. You cannot believe is answer and I quote " All I know is that needs is different from wants. And needs is backed with wants"  smiley cheesygrin grin.
Wait! still more, our Ambassador couldn't talk about the reforms going on in the banking industry, he doesn't know the diference between deposits and equity, recommend and nominate shocked. Oh boy! If it was an audition for Papa Ajasco and company, he would have won. grin. He made a complete fool of himself in front of the Senators

And he was an Ambassador? This guy was recommended by the governor of his state, Ondo, Olusegun Agagu and nominated by Mr. President OBJ. What did they base their recommendation on? I wonder. That is how they put incompetent people in high positions. At the end it is the masses that suffers.

God help Nigeria!

SOURCE PLEASE!!

I doubt if this actually happened** undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 4:48pm On Jun 22, 2009
@ brein

Which source are you looking for or are you doubting her? Your former speaker (madam etteh) could not make one correct sentence in english language[i].(or you need source for dat one to?)[/i], yet she was the forth person in national heirachy . Everything is possible in this country.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by tpiah: 4:57pm On Jun 22, 2009
the problem isnt just the leaders alone. The system and the people making up the system have their share of blame. A tree doesnt make a forest and neither can any one leader singlehandedly shoulder the responsibility of "fixing" Nigeria.

George Bush could also barely manage to string words together a lot of the time yet the world didnt end while he was president.

However a big difference between Naija and the US is the percentage of the populace that is educated and enlightened.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 5:27pm On Jun 22, 2009
I watched one senator of the Federal republic on NTA made a statement like this[b] "when I opened my cnn this morning"[/b]. What can you say about this. I think elementary english language course is needed urgently for our public office holders.

People no fit speak english but dem wan go havard (your governors) grin
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by ifyalways(f): 5:54pm On Jun 22, 2009
kokoA:

I watched one senator of the Federal republic on NTA made a statement like this[b] "when I opened my cnn this morning"[/b]. What can you say about this. I think elementary english language course is needed urgently for our public office holders.

rofl
@Poster,adding the source of ur story wud be nice.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 6:02pm On Jun 22, 2009
ifyalways:

rofl
@Poster,adding the source of ur story wud be nice.

I said I watched it on NTA (On a wednesday morning). Live transmission from the national assembly.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by bawomolo(m): 6:05pm On Jun 22, 2009
kokoA:

ha ha. nice one
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Jarus(m): 6:06pm On Jun 22, 2009
@Brein,
It happened. It was carried by all papers then.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Jarus(m): 6:07pm On Jun 22, 2009
People no fit speak english but dem wan go havard (your governors)
ROTFLMAO grin grin grin
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 22, 2009
kokoA:

I dont see any relation between having a good command of english and good governance. They are totally different things as one does not need to be a harvard trained english professor to know that potholes can cause accidents.

The example you gave doesnt have anything to do with the topic being discussed.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 6:28pm On Jun 22, 2009
nuzo:

I dont see any relation between having a good command of english and good governance. They are totally different things as one does not need to be a harvard trained english professor to know that potholes can cause accidents.

The example you gave doesnt have anything to do with the topic being discussed.

@nuzo

Please read your post again and correct yourself. Do they teach in hausa or yoruba in havard?

I mean if they can not understand simple english, how then can they comprihend what the harvad professors teach. Next time don't just pick on some one because you want to be relevant. Make your own contribution and get out. simple!
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by tpiah: 6:45pm On Jun 22, 2009
kokoA:

his english is still better than many nairalanders own. wink

Did you read my comments on George Bush?

anyway, nothing about people's grammer that cant be fixed if they arent too lazy to pick up a book and read.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 22, 2009
kokoA:

@nuzo

Please read your post again and correct yourself. Do they teach in hausa or yoruba in havard?

I mean if they can not understand simple english, how then can they comprihend what the harvad professors teach. Next time don't just pick on some one because you want to be relevant. Make your own contribution and get out. simple!  

How stupid can you be.

That one made a grammatical error (or does not speak good english as you will have us believe) does not mean he would not understand what is being taught to him in english. It does not also mean he will be bad at governance. If you doubt that, come over to Asia.

Where did you get the information that the senator was among the people seeking to study in harvard?
And even if he was among those that sought to go harvard, do you know whether it was part of the MOU to tutor the people involved with Huasa since they were willing to pay?

And why would I pick on you in order to be relevant? On what grounds? Do you know my real identity?

In as much as I know that most of our leaders today are so irrelevant and incompetent like the guy who doesnt know the meaning of NEEDS, I would not let you undermine the credibility of anyone who cant speak phonetics like Obama.

Stop making irrelevant comments if you dont want people to question it.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by davidif: 5:38am On Jun 23, 2009
Wait! still more, our Ambassador couldn't talk about the reforms going on in the banking industry, he doesn't know the diference between deposits and equity, recommend and nominate .

whizkid,
Newsflash: what does being an ambassador have to do with the banking industry? An ambassador might come from any background, they could be teachers, or doctors. There job is just to represent there nation. They don't need to be bankers or financial experts. Heck, anyone can be an ambassador.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 23, 2009
[quote[anyone can be an ambassador[quote][/quote]
how do some peeps reason this way!! How can a beast pop from no angle of academic or even neutral achievement and wants to be an ambassador. Except and ofcourse in the Nigerian system where even a barber is a senator.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 23, 2009
@KokoA,
THAT was funny! cheesy
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 10:26am On Jun 23, 2009
nuzo:

How stupid can you be.

That one made a grammatical error (or does not speak good english as you will have us believe) does not mean he would not understand what is being taught to him in english. It does not also mean he will be bad at governance. If you doubt that, come over to Asia.

Where did you get the information that the senator was among the people seeking to study in harvard?
And even if he was among those that sought to go harvard, do you know whether it was part of the MOU to tutor the people involved with Huasa since they were willing to pay?

And why would I pick on you in order to be relevant? On what grounds? Do you know my real identity?

In as much as I know that most of our leaders today are so irrelevant and incompetent like the guy who doesnt know the meaning of NEEDS, I would not let you undermine the credibility of anyone who cant speak phonetics like Obama.

Stop making irrelevant comments if you dont want people to question it.

@ nuzo

Silence is the best answer for a FOOL! I won't waste my time replying you again. Otherp people loved my replies, so who cares about you?? tongue tongue
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Epiphany(m): 1:06pm On Jun 23, 2009
davidif:

whizkid,
Newsflash: what does being an ambassador have to do with the banking industry? An ambassador might come from any background, they could be teachers, or doctors. There job is just to represent there nation. They don't need to be bankers or financial experts. Heck, anyone can be an ambassador.

Bros, i disagree. Not everyone can be an ambassador. An ambassador needs to be suave and very very eloquent. Secondly, he does not need to be a banker or an economist, but he should be someone that has the basics of these things at his fingertips. Imagine if as an ambassador to the US or UK, he is invited for a function in their government house (White House or Number 10 Downing) and someone asks him THAT SAME QUESTION ABOUT THE REFORMS GOING ON IN THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT, and he fumbles and rumbles and it comes out that he does not even know the difference btw deposits and equity!

That will be a national disaster esp if there are potential investors in that audience
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by jamace(m): 2:13pm On Jun 23, 2009
"Grammar no be success" o, but good leadership na him be success.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nezed(f): 3:42pm On Jun 23, 2009
I agree with most of the posts on the ability to communicate and articulate properly, esp wen undertaking a leadership position, but i beg to differ on the ground that because u are been considered for a particular position u should be an expert of all fields.
Yes, adequate knowledge of happenings in your country and around the world is necessary, but that doesnt mean he needs to be able to explain everything or know all.
Secondly, he is an ambassador to Togo and now to be made a minister of housing, wat is his background? its possible he is from the education sector or watever, afterall, Nigeria is fond of appointing ministers in sectors dat is alien to them. how do i know? ask Mrs. Dora Akunyili.
Also, i may not know the difference between deposits and equity and the likes, but i sure like hell know what 'climate change' and 'sustainable development' is all about cos that's my sector.
Thirdly, for pete' sake he was asked to explain an acronym! do you know how many baseless policies and the likes are introduced everyday in nigeria that if you try to keep up memorizing wat they stand for u may develope a heart condition!
Fourthly, the people questioning him, do they know better? aint they all a bunch of illiterates who happened to have shoved their way into the senate.
Fifthly, someone pointed out Obama's phonetics, but i guess we shouldnt be in a hurry to forget that Obama had practically zero-experience of the military/defence sector even wen Mccain and senator Clinton( as den was) tried rubbing that fact in but was that enuf to stop him from becoming a president? No.
His job is to be the General Overseer, but wit competent and the right people in those sectors in which he was deficient and work wt them!

In conclusion, while am not saying people with less knowledge or incompetent persons should be put in places of authority, i think putting credible people who have shown records of making watever sector they are in work, is most desirable( as an ambassador wat was his achievements),
Again i say, Ask. Mrs Akunyili and rebranding( she never studied journalism or mass comm).
grin grin wink grin
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 23, 2009
kokoA:

@ nuzo

Silence is the best answer for a FOOL!  I won't waste my time replying you again. Otherp people loved my replies, so who cares about you?? tongue tongue

Must I "love" your replies simply because others love them? Have you forgotten that any comment here is open for debate?

You see. . . . . . the problem with most nigerians is that instead of clarifying issues or accepting their mistakes, they become unnecessarily aggressive.
If you had taken time to read my first reply to you, you will find out that I respectfully disagreed with you.

Keep to the topic which is about a ministerial nominee who couldnt answer some basic national questions and not about a senator who made a gramatical error which anybody could have made and which does not necessarily make one good at governance.
These are two different things.

Nigerian politicians irritate me, but I wont be in a haste to right all of them off in a quest to create humor or to make everyone happy here.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 4:23pm On Jun 23, 2009
Nezed:

I agree with most of the posts on the ability to communicate and articulate properly, esp wen undertaking a leadership position, but i beg to differ on the ground that because u are been considered for a particular position u should be an expert of all fields.
Yes, adequate knowledge of happenings in your country and around the world is necessary, but that doesnt mean he needs to be able to explain everything or know all.
Secondly, he is an ambassador to Togo and now to be made a minister of housing, wat is his background? its possible he is from the education sector or watever, afterall, Nigeria is fond of appointing ministers in sectors dat is alien to them. how do i know? ask Mrs. Dora Akunyili.
Also, i may not know the difference between deposits and equity and the likes, but i sure like hell know what 'climate change' and 'sustainable development' is all about cos that's my sector.
Thirdly, for pete' sake he was asked to explain an acronym! do you know how many baseless policies and the likes are introduced everyday in nigeria that if you try to keep up memorizing wat they stand for u may develope a heart condition!
Fourthly, the people questioning him, do they know better? aint they all a bunch of illiterates who happened to have shoved their way into the senate.
Fifthly, someone pointed out Obama's phonetics, but i guess we shouldnt be in a hurry to forget that Obama had practically zero-experience of the military/defence sector even wen Mccain and senator Clinton( as den was) tried rubbing that fact in but was that enuf to stop him from becoming a president? No.
His job is to be the General Overseer, but wit competent and the right people in those sectors in which he was deficient and work wt them!

In conclusion, while am not saying people with less knowledge or incompetent persons should be put in places of authority, i think putting credible people who have shown records of making watever sector they are in work, is most desirable( as an ambassador wat was his achievements),
Again i say, Ask. Mrs Akunyili and rebranding( she never studied journalism or mass comm).
grin grin wink grin

True word! I agree with you. But some people can very dumb you know, like in  this case, for some one who has been a part of government before not to know what the NEEDS document contains surprises me. He does'nt need to know the acronm now, you understand, but he should be able to say something about it.

Using myself as an example, I don't know what the acronym means, but the media realy bombarded us with the fruitless thing during Obj's tenure and that got me to find out about it, now I know a little about the damm thing. If a less concerned Nigerian like me can do that, then talk more of a policy maker of that magnitude, Amdassador! kai,
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by kokoA(m): 4:37pm On Jun 23, 2009
nuzo:

Must I "love" your replies simply because others love them? Have you forgotten that any comment here is open for debate?

You see. . . . . . the problem with most nigerians is that instead of clarifying issues or accepting their mistakes, they become unnecessarily aggressive.
If you had taken time to read my first reply to you, you will find out that I respectfully disagreed with you.

Keep to the topic which is about a ministerial nominee who couldnt answer some basic national questions and not about a senator who made a gramatical error which anybody could have made and which does not necessarily make one good at governance.
These are two different things.

Nigerian politicians irritate me, but I wont be in a haste to right all of them off in a quest to create humor or to make everyone happy here.

@ Nuzo

I understand you, but the word "stupid" in your reply to my post really got me annoyed. Am sorry on my own path. I think we both share one love for our dying country. Peace.
Re: Ministerial Nominee fails simple questions. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 23, 2009
kokoA:

@ Nuzo

I understand you, but the word "stupid" in your reply to my post really got me annoyed. Am sorry on my own path. I think we both share one love for our dying country. Peace.

My bad too. It was as a result of your condescending tone to my first reply.
Peace too.

(1) (Reply)

The Lagos –kano Rail Modernisation Project – Where To From Here….? / Pdp Says Jonathan Can Contest / Former House Of Rep Speaker Patricia Etteh Defects To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.