Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,889 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1612) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4377192 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1609) (1610) (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) (1615) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Leezah(f): 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2020
n3xt:

My 4th inverter got damaged because my in-law decided to try pressing iron on it.

The inverter (Mercury) blew. But my latest inverter will trip off and put a message on the screen.

A lot of people do overload their system.
I’ve had 3 since 8 years ago and added the 4th one 2018 without major issues.
Iron and hot plate kills Inverter. When you buy inverter there ware energy consumption specifications of all equipments in the house. Nigerians we don't read. So anyhow is a way.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:53pm On Sep 14, 2020
So I went to fight my welder this afternoon for keeping mum when I asked him why he’d sell a door of 18k for 45k when the most expensive component is just N4500.

He said “I didn’t respond because I wanted you to go and see for yourself.” He asked me to take pen and do the calculations.

1. 1 1/2 x 3 pipe (frame for the door)
2. Designed Plate
3. 9in External Frame
4. Hinges
5. 1 inch pipe for braces
6. Electrode
7. Lock (He said I shouldn’t bother about this)
8. Painter
9. Transport

10. He said “Go and arrange all the items listed above (whatever quality you want) and pay me any amount you like for the job. Remember, I will cut, weld, grind and use diesel//electricity.”

I just had to apologize to him and move on.

Please, do not quote this message.

Now I know better.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:36pm On Sep 14, 2020
mufutau55:

Na wah o. Nah that Chinese kobo-kobo side I dey o.

Hajji M.

If not for you sir, I will have done the N2m inverter.

Eshin iwaju ni t’eyin nwo sare grin grin

I got good backup systems from this Naija Based Solar Power Company, Afriipower https://afriipower.com/ Their after-sales is kiss

I can’t even remember who recommend them to me.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:45pm On Sep 14, 2020
I will not quote Brabus.

I will not quote Brabus.

I will not quote Brabus.

grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mobileboy: 7:16pm On Sep 14, 2020
mobileboy:
After measurements of the land I intend to buy we notice it's 40 by 60 even though the seller initially said it's half plot but said he doesn't know the exact measurements

The price is been reviewed downward, should I proceed with buying it or the land is too small to build anything

If it's not too small what can I build on it?
It's going to be a single story building

2 units of two bedroom flat downstair - same upstair?
One 3 bedroom and one 2 bedroom downstairs - same upstairs?
One 2 bedroom and 1 self contain?

I want to maximize the land to the fullest to justify the price

I intend living there and renting out others to recover some of the money spent

Note: land is in Lagos

I've still not gotten any response to this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:26pm On Sep 14, 2020
perfectsmiles:

Good day.
As for what happened to your neighbour this is as a result of either of the following or even both.
1) Use of inferior materials
2) Lack of proper system sizing.

Sorry, this might be a long one but, you will surely get value from it.

1) As we all know just like every other aspect of life there are fake materials out there in the market thanks to Chinko products (very good Chinko dey ooo) and is not really easy to identify some of the fake ones, it only takes a professional to be able to identify them.
Sometimes the home-owner looking for cheaper products end up falling into the hands of hungry solar installers and at the end, they get those inferior materials for them because they are looking for money. Before you know what is happening and in the shortest period of time everything fails. Thus, bringing about pain, regret and frustration.
These types of unsatisfied customers are the ones that end up preaching the gospel of solar being a scam and a waste of money.

Note: The pain of a poor job will always overshadow a cheap price.

2) And the other reason is the lack of proper solar system sizing. every component of solar energy is meant to sized properly starting from the solar panels, the inverter the solar battery, charger controller the size of wire and even protective breaker. Once any component is not properly sized that solar installation is bound to fail, so what really happened to your neighbour is that his system was not really sized well. Once it runs on an undersized battery or panel the system will fail.

Let's take for instance what your system is meant to carry is 4 batteries from the sizing done using some design calculation, rather you end up using just 2 batteries. These 2 batteries will be overworked and thus making it to fail within a short time.
Batteries are not supposed to be drained down to 0% in good system sizing. Batteries are supposed to be drained up to 50% and the remaining batteries are doing the other work because there is provision for backup.
So what really happened to your Neighbour is that there was no proper system sizing so the batteries were draining and no sufficient charges from the solar panel. Probably what is even charging up the battery from the solar panel is not even up to what is being drained from the battery, so that will make the batteries week. It will work very well in the first few months and that is the end.

So to properly size a system some calculations are being carried out, and that can be done by taking into cognizance the loads to be used in the house and not the size of the house (two bedrooms flat, three rooms and polour) as some persons feel.

I believe this really clear some issues.

Solar is really an investment with high ROI (return on investment). These is because it will take off the cost of buying fuel and paying for energy, stress, gen noise and carbon emission, thus keeping your family safe. But note it takes a while and can be achieved when handled by a professional solar engineer and not anyhow installers out here.

Thank you.
For any advice, you can check my signature and DM for help, consultation, quotes or any solar related issues

Engr. Chinedu.

Thanks. I got value.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:33pm On Sep 14, 2020
@n3xt. I will not quote you grin

These doors in the picture attached cost me 17,500 each material plus labor. Transportation was not included in the calculations.

I picked up some other things together with the materials for the doors, railings, etc. So the Transportation cost, I don't know how to separate it. But just calculating the materials and labor thats what each door cost. The materials were purchased at bridge head Onitsha and the site is at Asaba. Distance between the two is within 30 - 45 minutes. Should be 20 minutes or less without traffic and police wahala.

I purchased the materials and hired the welder separately.

Please no one should quote me, I am not feeling fine grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:36pm On Sep 14, 2020
Badgers14:
@n3xt. I will not quote you grin

These doors in the picture attached cost me 17,500 each material plus labor. Transportation was not included in the calculations.

I picked up some other things together with the materials for the doors, railings, etc. So the Transportation cost, I don't know how to separate it. But just calculating the materials and labor thats what each door cost. The materials were purchased at bridge head Onitsha and the site is at Asaba. Distance between the two is within 30 - 45 minutes. Should be 20 minutes or less without traffic and police wahala.

I purchased the materials and hired the welder separately.

Please no one should quote me, I am not feeling fine grin

grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:38pm On Sep 14, 2020
Drama grin

Badgers14 I won’t quote you o.

I’m made to understand that painter take 500 per door and labourers charge 1,000 per door.

That’s good to know that there’s a region in Nigeria where people are making it work.

I doubt it if you’ll ever find any painter here do that job if you offer them 500 to paint that type of door.

I dinnor quote anyone. Don’t quote me o! grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:44pm On Sep 14, 2020
I refuse to quote anyone grin grin

But brethren, let's settle this thing on the premise that some things are cheaper in certain areas and more expensive some where else.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:47pm On Sep 14, 2020
I’m sure I can pay painter like 2k to paint this type of gate on that side.

I can never search for or find anyone who’d do that amount here.

Dropping mic for tonight.... Badger14, I don’t quote you o grin

But I’m enjoying you anyway. Thanks for sharing.

We are learning each day. Today, I’ve learnt not to crucify our people here. Their eyes dey see!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:51pm On Sep 14, 2020
Badgers14:

But brethren, let's settle this thing on the premise that some things are cheaper in certain areas and more expensive some where else.

Interesting cool.
I mistakenly quoted you sir grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:52pm On Sep 14, 2020
Badgers14:

Now I quote you. Comman beat me grin grin

The bolded sum everything up. Labour is cheeeeaaap on your side.

One can never try this figures in Lagos where some welders pay more than 300k per month for ground rent.

Not even anywhere in the Southwest where welders are automatically billed hire than anyone else by PHCN or where skilled labourers are few.

I love the great people making it work in your region.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:53pm On Sep 14, 2020
I see people are messaging me and asking me this and that ..... before someone brand me a fraudster grin grin grin I purchased this doors in may/ June of this year and I don't know if the prices are still the same which I doubt because of the increase in everything now.

Cement I purchased 2300 around the same time is sold for 3k currently.

No more comments on this... I hope grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:56pm On Sep 14, 2020
n3xt:

Now I quote you. Comman beat me grin grin

The bolded sum everything up. Labour is cheeeeaaap on your side.

One can never try this figures in Lagos where some welders pay more than 300k per month for ground rent.

Not even anywhere in the Southwest where welders are automatically billed hire than anyone else by PHCN or where skilled labourers are few.

I love the great people making it work in your region.

Thank you.

This was done on site though. I purchased the materials, brought them on site and the welder came over to put them together.. it is possible they used my electricity too, not sure but could be.

Yes, there are things cheaper in SE than SW and vice versa.. please take Lagos off the equation, thats an outlier grin grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
gbadexy:

Interesting cool.
I mistakenly quoted you sir grin grin

Your weight reach grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:58pm On Sep 14, 2020
This guy and his boys will do awesome job for me. Make una come and buy oh before hungry kill me

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
@temifash have they delivered the package?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
n3xt:
I’m sure I can pay painter like 2k to paint this type of gate on that side.

I can never search for or find anyone who’d do that amount here.

Dropping mic for tonight.... Badger14, I don’t quote you o grin

But I’m enjoying you anyway. Thanks for sharing.

We are learning each day. Today, I’ve learnt not to crucify our people here. Their eyes dey see!

1k and the painter will be happy. Less than one hour work. Shey na one color wey be black that doesn't take time to coat
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:04pm On Sep 14, 2020
michlins:
1k and the painter will be happy. Less than one hour work. Shey na one color wey be black that doesn't take time to coat

What I didn’t show was that they applied body filler like they wanted to paint a car on the gate before painting.

This wasn’t the 1 colour in 1 hour type.

That gate has been painted over 8 years ago and it never fade nor rust.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:10pm On Sep 14, 2020
n3xt:

What I didn’t show was that they applied body filler like they wanted to paint a car on the gate before painting.

This wasn’t the 1 colour in 1 hour type.

That gate has been painted over 8 years ago and it still remain.
buy one tin of sharon paint and the color will never fade. If you want to do big man, add a small tin of vanish and it will be sparkling. Make I hear Dem no finish the painting in one hour. Apply first coat and wait for it to dry and then the final coating.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oseiwe(m): 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2020
[quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=93923582] Egbon, can you and Hajji help look at a quote for me? cc mufutau55

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:16pm On Sep 14, 2020
These type of color combination no dey pass two hours e come be black. Each of these gates cost at least 3k each. Then you will start buying other stuff for finishing.

Tell your local welder the color combination that happened here.

Over here, we innovate and it has crashed the cost of production. Another thing I learnt tonight is that labor is paid by day and not by productivity. Imagine paying person 3k per day and he will do ordinary two doors a day. ..

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2020
n3xt:
@temifash have they delivered the package?

Yes they did

I sent you a mail
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:20pm On Sep 14, 2020
temi4fash:

Yes they did

I sent you a mail

Great! I’ve not received your email though.

______
Received. I’ve responded.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 8:21pm On Sep 14, 2020
Hello House,

Please are there different grades of Stone dust??

Is there anything like low quality stone dust??

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:43pm On Sep 14, 2020
[quote author=oseiwe post=93927057][/quote]

I’ll do the best I can but I don’t see any attachment.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oseiwe(m): 8:53pm On Sep 14, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’ll do the best I can but I don’t see any attachment.
kindly assist see if this looks OK, I want to give the go ahead. any modifications?

pic isn't attaching.

*This estimation is for 2bedroom and 4bedroom duplex to decking level*

2500pcs of blocks (200 * 2500) = *#500,000*
60bags of cement (2700 * 60) = *#162,000*
15tonnes of granite = *#85,000*
20tonnes of sharp sand = *#60,000*
20tonnes of soft sand = *#50,000*
Half tonne of 12mm iron = *#130,000*
*Iron for decking* �
8pcs of 16mm iron (4,800 * cool = *#38,400*
20lenghts of 10mm iron = *#44,000*
1 roll of binding wire = *#8,000*
*Planks for pillar and linted*�
50pcs if planks (1400 * 50) = *#70,000*
1bag of nail = *#6,000*
Workmanship = *#350,000*
*For pegging* �
6pcs of somi planks (1400 * 6) = 8400*
Cutting of some planks (200 * 6) = *1200*
2 bundle of Peggy wood (2500 *2) = *#5000*
Nail = *3,000*
*Total = #1,521,4000*

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 8:56pm On Sep 14, 2020
LITHIUM ION BATTERY AND CAN BUS COMMUNICATION (CAN) REVIEW

CAN stands for Controller Area Network, meaning a computer network formulated by the inverter's electronic control units (ECU), known as Micro-controllers, for an effective and efficient communication capabilities between the inverter and Lithium ion batteries only. However, without this in place the Lithium ion battery will probably explode over time and may result into fire.

That is why we often say it's not all inverters that are compatible with lithium ion battery because of charging and discharging monitoring.

However if you connect any 48V inverter to any 48V lithium ion battery bank, it will power ON but the discharging and recharging algorithm will be the great deal of issue, which may lead to lithium ion battery bank explosion due to overcharging as the case may be.

These Micro-controllers chips, which serves as the main brain of all super intelligent inverters like Steca Solarix PLI, lmeon, Growatt, Victron Energy, Sunwoda inverters etc, are mostly surface mount devices (SMD) called Quad Flat package (QFP) Micro-controllers, however, the victron inverter uses the through hole type of dual inline package (DIP) Micro-controllers.

This then implies that the days of looking for external battery equalizers (to manage the performance of VRLA batteries) like we often do for the conventional Lead Acid batteries are over.

CAN was primarily developed for automotive applications but later - due to its simplicity, reliability and electromagnetic immunity. it appeared also in industrial (CANopen), military (MilCAN), aerospace (CANaerospace) and nautical (SeaCAN) applications.

However, advanced solar technology has tapped into this concept for seamless communication capabilities between the super intelligent inverters and Lithium iron phosphate batteries.

This fundamental feature makes German Steca Solarix PLI inverters and other selected list of inverters like solarX, Phocos, solis, Good we, lmeon, Schneider, growatt, solarmax, studer, redback, sofar etc, to be compatible with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries just like the sturdy Victron blue energy inverters.

Based on the installation arrangement, although all the lithium ion battery will have its individual CAN port. However, it is only the CAN port of the master lithium ion battery of the battery bank that will be terminated to the inverter to enhance the system communication protocol. As all the slave lithium ion batteries report to the master lithium ion battery.

Each of the Lithium ion batteries in the bank must be connected via RS485 or RJ45 link ports depending on the brand of lithium ion battery though, else no communication and no master lithium ion battery to be connected to the inverter in question.

Also the lithium ion battery bank installation often require a good understanding of battery address binary number switches too aside the inbuilt Battery Management System (BMS) of these batteries.
Even Some LFP battery uses BMU (Battery Management Unit).

Kindly be informed that currently we can only parallel Lithium ion batteries as we can't series them like we series conventional Lead Acid Batteries.

Thank you.

Further enquiry , purchase
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 9:10pm On Sep 14, 2020
mobileboy:

I've still not gotten any response to this
do you intend to park cars in the plot?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 9:40pm On Sep 14, 2020
mufutau55:

Na wah o. Nah that Chinese kobo-kobo side I dey o.

Hajji M.
Alhaji saw your post, solar is a fantastic deal, but please and please not any kobo kobo chinese inverter, there are high ends chinese inverters like the DEYE inverters,
What we have in Nigeria are not Hybrids but mostly grid tied inverters, Hybrids inverters send back power to the grid which is not possible in Nigeria,
unless one want to kill somebody.
Solar works i have been using mine sine over a year and i can only recommend.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:51pm On Sep 14, 2020
desiji:

Alhaji saw your post, solar is a fantastic deal, but please and please not any kobo kobo chinese inverter, there are high ends chinese inverters like the DEYE inverters,
What we have in Nigeria are not Hybrids but mostly grid tied inverters, Hybrids inverters send back power to the grid which is not possible in Nigeria,
unless one want to kill somebody.
Solar works i have been using mine sine over a year and i can only recommend.

Thank you very much. I know you have done this successfully. Of course sir, I will surely get the high end Chinese equipments. Forget about the Hybrids then, that is for here, but Naija use is what I need.
I will contact you later, so I can get some recommended equipment list from you. I hope I can do at least 5kva supported with NEPA and Generators (both small and big Sound proof). Thank you very much sir.

BTW... Anywhere I can get more info on the DEYE inverters mentioned above. Thx.

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1609) (1610) (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) (1615) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: OnMyHonor, jameslojohn(m), fashrola(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.