Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,082 members, 7,814,746 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4382128 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:24am On Sep 03, 2015
The argument about ante room, high pitch roof etc.. Its all about CHOICE..

Those saying it's useless are talking in relation to FUNCTIONALITY.

Those saying its useful are arguing on the side of AESTHETICS and the beauty of aesthetics is CHOICE.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:29am On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

It seems like a fair amount of setup time, all the waste which I guess can be collected and reused.

I'm all for automation but we have to be reasonable.

If we can first get rid of adult men carrying poun poun of concrete mix on their head and old women fetching water then I'll be happy. grin

adult men carrying cement in the head can be replaced by men fully kitted with hand cloves and rain boot shoe carrying cement in wheel barrow....

Women fetching water from well can be replaced with a pumping machine connected with hose long enough to get to any part of the site....

problem solved....

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 11:49am On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Absolutely! D word ante here literally means before. A small space or lobby is required before the main living room.
It's the beauty of Architecture! It wouldn't ve being introduced in the world of Architecture if not necessarily in the first place
However, one may decided to skip it in his personal project . After all, it's not structural affected. But the fact remains that it does makes sense!
To buttress my point. Is now seems to go beyond duplex original created for.

We supposed to have received glory of being project Architect for one of blocks of flat under construction here on NL.But why not?
Based on brief given we presented the design to 'our beloved client' but unfortunately the client in question is difficult to please grin
He shared our concept with one First class material of OAU. The 'advanced brilliant fellow' pointed the fact that we didn't introduced An ante room.............we lost d deal!

Although we eventually dropped the construction too..........for the reasons best known to us grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:53am On Sep 03, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Those saying its useful are arguing on the side of AESTHETICS and the beauty of aesthetics is CHOICE.

I don't really consider high pitch roof aesthetics, its more like waste of resources. I love flat roof

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:14pm On Sep 03, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I don't really consider high pitch roof aesthetics, its more like waste of resources. I love flat roof

This is where CHOICE comes in.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:20pm On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Absolutely! D word ante here literally means before. A small space or lobby is required before the main living room.

It's the beauty of Architecture! It wouldn't ve being introduced in the world of Architecture if not necessarily in the first place
However, one may decided to skip it in his personal project . After all, it's not structural affected. But the fact remains that it does makes sense!
Well of I go by what you are saying.I may very well create a lobby with just flowers and wall pictures plus a shoe rack b4 the living room entrance .this will make sense
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:22pm On Sep 03, 2015
abdulwastecx:

If you r using a roofing material that's is subject to rust and leakage the a high roof is desirable cos of the high gradient. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnetimeOnly: 12:42pm On Sep 03, 2015
KolaShangOne:

100 % agree. But when choices that do not add much function start costing money and I can save 35% on roofing costs, then the client has to reevaluate.it is a balancing act.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:47pm On Sep 03, 2015
abdulwastecx:

adult men carrying cement in the head can be replaced by men fully kitted with hand cloves and rain boot shoe carrying cement in wheel barrow....

Women fetching water from well can be replaced with a pumping machine connected with hose long enough to get to any part of the site....

problem solved....

This is elementary Sir..

You can not see anyone carrying water with their heads on my site. I kinda make boreholes as the first thing on sites.. Or buy water from trucks to be delivered into my 2 nos of 2000 litres GP tanks. Not every client can afford it so inasmuch as automation is welcome, we consider affordability.

And yes, we give them boots and handgloves too.. Nose cover for the guy dealing with Cement. Helmets too. They use it, sometimes, they don't.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:49pm On Sep 03, 2015
OnetimeOnly:

100 % agree. But when choices that do not add much function start costing money and I can save 35% on roofing costs, then the client has to reevaluate.it is a balancing act.

Some clients wouldn't mind spending extra 35% for their CHOICE. its what makes them personally comfortable..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 2:26pm On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:
A question for Nairalands Architects and builders.

“How would you design a home if based on your behavior, not architectural convention…for singles, couples, families, etc.?”
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 2:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Oga. U are the least person I am expecting this question fromangry
In Morden duplex, Just a definate answer we suffice.
Do you expect every visitors to ve direct answer to ur living room? .I think ur personal project is a duplex.

If I can count at least I ve built and design nothing less than 15 duplex in the course of my practices. Besides, we are not responsible for all the design.

Non without an ante room!

KolaShangOne:

It is really about choice. My initial design had no ante room but when i went to my cousin's house, i came back and changed my design to have an ante room because i saw the need for it. If you have a country home and people keep coming in to greet you especially the community people, an ante room come in handy to keep some people waiting while attending to others in the sitting room.

I do not have a dinning area in my project as i converted that area to a VIP sitting room after going to the house of my Chairman and seeing what he did.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 2:53pm On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Do you expect every visitors to ve direct answer to ur living room? .I think ur personal project is a duplex.

If I can count at least I ve built and design nothing less than 15 duplex in the course of my practices. Besides, we are not responsible for all the design.
Non without an ante room!

It really doesn't matter if the whole world are doing it wrong. I don't need or want multiple redundant rooms. Like ante room, family room and a formal living room upstairs. Or a dining room and a breakfast area. Or kitchen and a separate store and laundry. Just give me one good space for each function. Quality over quantity. That's functionality!

Is there a decree or rule in Nigeria that guests or visitors must be entertained in a particular room? What happened to the patio, the outdoor garden, and the BBQ area?

Give me theatre. If there's more space, give me courtyard. If theres even more, give me Office/Chapel.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
KolaShangOne:

If that is the argument of the day then we're all blessed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 03, 2015
erico2k2:

If you r using a roofing material that's is subject to rust and leakage the a high roof is desirable cos of the high gradient.

Mi oga, in 2015 one should be able to have a non rusting and none leaky roof of any pitch.

Heck some folks have live plant/grass roofs.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 3:04pm On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Mi oga, in 2015 one should be able to have a non rusting and none leaky roof of any pitch.

Heck some folks have live plant/grass roofs.

I've seen this as far back as 1990s in Ibadan (Iyaganku GRA).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

To buttress my point. Is now seems to go beyond duplex original created for.

We supposed to have received glory of being project Architect for one of blocks of flat under construction here on NL.But why not?
Based on brief given we presented the design to 'our beloved client' but unfortunately the client in question is difficult to please grin
He shared our concept with one First class material of OAU. The 'advanced brilliant fellow' pointed the fact that we didn't introduced An ante room.............we lost d deal!

Although we eventually dropped the construction too..........for the reasons best known to us grin

Bravo.

You guys shouldn't take every project that lands on your desk. You should choose projects that offers you growth and also will satisfy the client.

I think some clients forget that it's not the builder or architect or learned fellows that will live in the house but their own family.

My wife and I along with a local architect here (1 hour fee and from a posted ad on Craigslist) went to a local park armed with construction spray and I marked out our entire floor plan in full scale and we walked from room to room in order to get a good feel. Then and only then did I have changes made by my Nigerian Architect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
abdulwastecx:

problem solved....

For bigger than pathway jobs then this is the way forward.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 03, 2015
For the pro high roof folks, even that need and style is going away in modern architecture and even in high snow areas because you can now shed snow/ice loads with radiant heating. The snow never has a chance to accumulate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 4:20pm On Sep 03, 2015
I'm not a building engineer or certified building expert as you already know but I do designs and I know a good one when I see one.

Here's my thing for a well-designed space planning. I mark out my space requirement in each design I do based on types of activities.

Social—involve people from outside the family. (Patio, Terraces, Outdoor Garden, Lounge, etc)
Family—involve family members (Living room, Dining room, Theatre, etc)
Individual—involve only one person (toilet/bath, dressing room, wardrobe etc)
Private—require visual & audio privacy (office, study, studio etc)
Work—accomplish a specific task (laundry, kitchen, pantry, maintenance/service room, storage etc)

Now, each activities are further mapped into 3 zones

1. Public zone (Social/Family activities happen here)
2. Private Zone or Family area (Individual/Private activities happen here)
3. Work/Zone area (Household activities and services happen here)

Now, whoever visit the house must be there for any of the 5 activities above and as such his boundary line has been set in the design.

If Mr EgunMogaji (a Nairaland friend) visits me, I'll take him to the Public Zone and that starts from the Social Activity Areas. I won't take him straight to my dining or TV room because he's a first time visitor.

If my mom visits, I'll take her straight to the Family Area in the Public Zone.

If Mr EgunMogaji had so much fun in the house and needs to ease himself. I'll take him to the Individual area in the Private Zone.

If Mr EgunMogaji said he'll like to discuss business right away, I'll excuse the family and lead him straight to the Home Office in the Private Zone.

If the PHCN guy knock (sorry he can't knock), pressed the bell that he wants to take meter reading, I'll open the gate and show him the Maintenance room which is by the driveway. Neither will Taju (the gardener I engaged on contract) knock my entrance door because he already knew the lawnmower is in my store by the maintenance room.

My Design Rules

Household members or visitors should not have to cross through the middle of one zone to get to another. So my PHCN guy has nothing to do at my doorstep unless I lead him there.

So, to answer the Big Question "Do you expect every visitors to have direct access to your living room?" NO, we've zoned every activities in the house. No one cross through the middle of one zone to get to another except by the owners instruction.

Mr EgunMogaji may not enter into my family area if he's only on casual visit. I can entertain him in the patio comfortably.

This may not be acceptable industry standard, its just common sense at work. We live by rules.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 5:04pm On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:
I'm not a building engineer or certified building expert as you already know but I do designs and I know a good one when I see one.

Here's my thing for a well-designed space planning. I mark out my space requirement in each design I do based on types of activities.

Social—involve people from outside the family. (Patio, Terraces, Outdoor Garden, Lounge, etc)
Work—accomplish a specific task (laundry, kitchen, pantry, maintenance/service room, storage etc)

Now, whoever visit the house must be there for any of the 5 activities above and as such his boundary line has been set in the design.

My Design Rules

Household members or visitors should not have to cross through the middle of one zone to get to another. So my PHCN guy has nothing to do at my doorstep unless I lead him there.

So, to answer the Big Question "Do you expect every visitors to have direct access to your living room?" NO, we've zoned every activities in the house. No one cross through the middle of one zone to get to another except by the owners instruction.

Mr EgunMogaji may not enter into my family area if he's only on casual visit. I can entertain him in the patio comfortably.

This may not be acceptable industry standard, its just common sense at work. We live by rules.
Constructive argument! You ve said it all with the last sentence.

.....You see, like I used to say some things were not expected to be done anyhow...........we understand the rudiment of Architecture!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enterpreneur: 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Bravo.
You guys shouldn't take every project that lands on your desk. You should choose projects that offers your growth and also will satisfy the client.
I think some clients forget that it's not the builder or architect or learned fellows that will live in the house but their families.
My wife and I along at with a local architect here (1 hour fee and posted an ad on Craigslist) went to a local park armed with construction spray and I marked out our entire floor plan in full scale and we walked from room to room in order to get a good feel. Then and only then did I have changes made by the my Nigerian Architect.

Like minds think the same! Your intelligence quotient has no limit!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

My Design Rules

The similarity is uncanny.

Here's my post on my site VillageHeadMaster.Com @ http://villageheadmaster.com/forums/topic/designing-and-building-my-bungalow/

"The structure is 80 feet long and 50 feet wide and sits on a lot that is approximately 100 feet by 125 feet.
I divided the structure into 5 distinct areas.

1) Reception area which includes an indoor porch 7 feet X 16 feet (inporch) and a foyer 8 feet by 8 feet (called ante room in Nigeria). A very generous area for arriving visitors or entertaining temporary visitors. There is also a petite home office that is about 12′ by 5′.
2) Left wing which comprises the public area such as living room and dining room (16’X36″), kitchen with a pantry of 11 feet by 8 feet and a full bathroom.
3) Right wing which comprises of the private area such as two bedroom each 12 feet by 12 feet with an adjoining full bath. The master bedroom bathroom 11 feet by 12 feet as well as a dual purpose walk in closet of 12 feet by 8 feet.
4) The rear quadrant of the house has the master bedroom 19 feet by 20 feet and a garage/flex room of the same size sandwiching a play room of 8 feet by 17 feet.
5) The piece de resistance is the internal courtyard that is smack in the middle which measures 35 feet by 15 feet.

The garage/flex room space will turn into a full guest suite in the future once a garage that will hold about 12 cars is contructed on the lower part of the property. Having a working garage is a must for my hobbies of which there are many."

Interestingly enough I used a local Omo Onile tough guy that I've befriended as my "arms length guest" as example in separating sojourns into ultra private and semi private areas. We'll call him "Akogun" grin

He'll never get past the "inporch" a generous area in itself. Other friends in the "inner circle" can come into the semi private (not ultra private but higher than private) for boys hang out in the man cave.

Okay so now that it's totally confusing, who's on first? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2015
hcsproperties:
Are you looking for house in Lagos?

Oga, Please no advertisement in this thread.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:23pm On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

The similarity is uncanny.

The garage/flex room space will turn into a full guest suite in the future once a garage that will hold about 12 cars is contructed on the lower part of the property.

Interestingly enough I used a local Omo Onile tough guy that I've befriended as my "arms length guest" as example in separating sojourns into ultra private and semi private areas. We'll call him "Akogun" grin

He'll never get past the "inporch" a generous area in itself. Other friends in the "inner circle" can come into the semi private (not ultra private but higher than private) for boys hang out in the man cave.

Okay so now that it's totally confusing, who's on first? grin

Hmm! Akogun is truly a arm-length friend. Fast forward to 2016, I foresee him driving Hajji Mufutau55 to a birthday party in your wonderhaus. Yet he couldn't get past the inporch as you've already made provision for the league of chauffeurs and attaches coming to the party in the garage very close to your Boston Terriers in case someone gets intoxicated.

Only those in the inner circle walk past the the porch. ~ EgunMogaji 2015

_____

The dedicated guest suite is just too cool. No more feeling of uneasiness.

Pic: My dedicated guest chalet at the far end of the fence. The kitchen is strategically positioned for outdoor entertaining and dining.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 7:25pm On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

It really doesn't matter if the whole world is doing it wrong. I don't need or want multiple redundant rooms. Like ante room, family room and a formal living room upstairs. Or a dining room and a breakfast area. Or kitchen and a separate store and laundry. Just give me one good space for each function. Quality over quantity. That's functionality!

Is there a decree or rule in Nigeria that guests or visitors must be entertained in a particular room? What happened to the patio, the outdoor garden, and the BBQ area?

Give me theatre. If there's more space, give me courtyard. If theres even more, give me Office/Chapel.

There is no decree or rule. Is it a must that i have to entertain my guest in the patio, the outdoor garden and the BBQ area. That is why somebody said that it is matter of choice.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
NL1960:

There is no decree or rule. Is it a must that i have to entertain my guest in the patio, the outdoor garden and the BBQ area. That is why somebody said that it is matter of choice.

Of course, you're very right. The choice of a big man is always very different from the common mans. Why Oga go dey meet people for outside? One of the first question I ask my prospective clients is what are the must-haves and nice-to-have features of this house? Where do you like to eat your breakfast? Dining or on the Bed? All these questions helps in designing to meet clients need. I don't just impose my designs on client. So, if entertaining a first time visitor in the foyer/patio or outdoor is not a good idea to a client, we try to design to meet the clients requirement. Likewise, if a client loves eating on his bed, we give less priority to having a large dining area. Open-floor plan may do the trick. We will still maintain the same sq ft.

But personally, I believe anyone who can walk past my porch can as well have access to semi-private areas of the house. Again, what happened to the porch? Could it be the waiting room is a cleansing room before entering the holiest place? I need to be convinced.

The definition of a porch is a covered entrance, or an outdoor seating area on a building or house. http://www.yourdictionaryDOTcom/porch

An anteroom is a small room or entryway leading to a larger area. http://www.vocabularyDOTcom/dictionary/anteroom
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

Hmm! Akogun is truly a arm-length friend. Fast forward to 2016, I foresee him driving Hajji Mufutau55 to a birthday party in your wonderhaus. Yet he couldn't get past the inporch as you've already made provision for the league of chauffeurs and attaches coming to the party in the garage very close to your Boston Terriers in case someone gets intoxicated.

_____

The dedicated guest suite is just too cool. No more feeling of uneasiness.

Pic: My dedicated guest chalet at the far end of the fence. The kitchen is strategically positioned for outdoor entertaining and dining.

I think a guest house is a great thing in our culture. A place where guests can stay for an extended period without them feeling they are imposing. You know that youth corping cousin or JJC friend from yankee who you are encouraging to come back home (he can at least come back to sleep in an evvinronment he's accustomed to after roughing it for the day all shell shocked and bombasted grin ).

I'm less of a Terri and more of a Dobbie kind of a guy. My Dogs don't bite, no they really don't. After the bite. I said my dogs don't bite, I didn't say they don't bite you grin

I want my house to be the crazy house on the street that kids cross the street and run quickly to pass by.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:23pm On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

Yeah! I might visit the man... if I am not too old to move around then... But if the man got dogs of any size (even chiua-chiua) or any breed, I will never step in that house... I have bad experience with dog when I was small... and the evidence is in my finger... Sorry guys, no dog for me.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:28pm On Sep 03, 2015
Interesting topic! CHOICE have it.

Individual differences can actually affect our choice. I can still remember a NL client who asked me to make his master bedroom half of the main building cos his iPad is his TV, his bed is his dining table and he spent 75% of his time at work (4am - 9pm).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 03, 2015
mufutau55:

Yeah! I might visit the man... if I am not too old to move around then... But if the man got dogs of any size (even chiua-chiua) or any breed, I will never step in that house... I have bad experience with dog when I was small... and the evidence is in my finger... Sorry guys, no dog for me.

Hajji M.

Since it's a MUST that you come to give prayers and blessings then the Doggies just have to go on a doggie vacation during your visits grin

Most pressing issue resolved and it's not even noon yet. Oh wait..snap.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
At MMA they have this money changing kiosk inside the arrival lobby.

Do they have a way to do electronic deposit into an account or you always have to just take the cash with you?

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: psychologist(m), Ohiomoba5, jiday4(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.