Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4383228 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:06pm On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

One of the constrains that I gave my Architect was no high pitched roofs, no roman pillars and arches. Oh yeah also no ensuite galore grin
it all depends on taste and life style. i think like you but i design to the clients requirement. if you're an architect trying to make a living, you would quickly learn to design to such conventions instead of arguing with your clients.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 03, 2015
abouzaid:
it all depends on taste and life style. i think like you but i design to the clients requirement. if you're an architect trying to make a living, you would quickly learn to design to such conventions instead of arguing with your clients.

That's the thing, I found the reverse.

Some Architects were actually designing ensuite and roman pillars even AFTER I specifically stated that I did not want it.

We all have things that we bend to in our professions in order to keep the money flowing in.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 12:27am On Sep 04, 2015
erico2k2:

I'm struggling to understand you a bit.But I shall try my best.there are basic tools of the trade and there are pro tool.things like cement mixers are basics cos they have three parts engine .drum and gear.the engine is same as ur generator.the gears has your usual cogs. So its meant to be same maintanance cost as the humble generator in this case same as I pass my neighbour. If I was a Co tractor I will buy one of these N150k will land one frm the UK. To rent it in a day is N10. U can mix concrete and cement for rendering aka plastering.mix mortem for laying of brick.I will like to emphasise here that using this 15 times in diff days pays of the over head cost..
Now let's go to soil compactor. Cost brand new £300.might cost £159 to ship.this is at brand new.so landng price say N180k. Rental in a day approx N8. 20 times of usage pays it off.Go to the concrete poker it's even cheaper £110.All these machine has btw 3.5 hp and 5.5 hp ho da Engines so they use same parts as yoy petrol generator.So just imagine if U can remove all these cost frm the bills of your clients would t they be happy?plus your work will be professional.

OK. All the equipments you listed here can be termed "basic equipments" for.most construction coys. I wasn't talking about those ones.

I was referring to the picture egunmogaji posted that had a concrete mixing truck and a concrete pump! Now those are higher end equipments and my take was that you must have a need for them to procure. It makes business sense to say procure those kinds of equipments if your target market is high rise buildings, or you're into estate development and you want to make a statement about finishing your estate within a particular duration.

Of course when you have an equipment it can make your job easier. But that's for an equipment that is used consistently. You have to know what you are doing in terms of what the project ( or projects you are into) need as equipment.

Having a concrete pump and mobile concrete mixer to be used on a clients house means the client must want his building done on a fast track. But then, how many days will a such a high end take off the schedule of say, a single building? Unless that building is a high rise ( and you dont have many such clients in the country on individual basis), using such high end equipments is a waste. I had already listed the consequences of acquiring such in my earlier post.

I know a developer who has built six estates in lekki and has plans to build four more ( that I know). He bought a back actor and a pay loader recently because he needed to save the cost of renting those equipments for his site works. He looked at the number of times those equipments were used on rent and considering he has more works along that line, decided to buy them. They weren't for window dressing.

@egunmogaji you don't have to be condescending in your response. We are all here to learn from each other. I know I'm always excited and interested in something new no matter how simple or foolish it looks; but what I've said is from from experience. Both construction wise, and from business perspective.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 04, 2015
semitunde:

OK. All the equipments you listed here can be termed "basic equipments" for.most construction coys. I wasn't talking about those ones.

I was referring to the picture egunmogaji posted that had a concrete mixing truck and a concrete pump! Now those are higher end equipments and my take was that you must have a need for them to procure. It makes business sense to say procure those kinds of equipments if your target market is high rise buildings, or you're into estate development and you want to make a statement about finishing your estate within a particular duration.

Of course when you have an equipment it can make your job easier. But that's for an equipment that is used consistently. You have to know what you are doing in terms of what the project ( or projects you are into) need as equipment.

Having a concrete pump and mobile concrete mixer to be used on a clients house means the client must want his building done on a fast track. But then, how many days will a such a high end take off the schedule of say, a single building? Unless that building is a high rise ( and you dont have many such clients in the country on individual basis), using such high end equipments is a waste. I had already listed the consequences of acquiring such in my earlier post.

I know a developer who has built six estates in lekki and has plans to build four more ( that I know). He bought a back actor and a pay loader recently because he needed to save the cost of renting those equipments for his site works. He looked at the number of times those equipments were used on rent and considering he has more works along that line, decided to buy them. They weren't for window dressing.

@egunmogaji you don't have to be condescending in your response. We are all here to learn from each other. I know I'm always excited and interested in something new no matter how simple or foolish it looks; but what I've said is from from experience. Both construction wise, and from business perspective.

Unfortunately the way I write is my style, I offer you no apologies if it offends you (perhaps you can reach out to Seun to give you an ignore user filter) I'm not on here to cater to you or prop up your self esteem. I'm a straight shooter.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way.

Let's not justify the fact that Nigeria is technologically behind to make ordinary cement pumps to be only useful on high-rises. When you have a lot that is behind another built up lot then you have to reach the build site with a crane pumper. If you don't know, ask.

A cement truck and pump are not that elaborate. Maybe not owned but perhaps rentable. I'm not here to discuss how Baba Lati the brikila can be efficient, I am here to see how to encourage improvements in the building scene. Lots of ideas are flying about, it's like a buffet, take what you can eat and leave the rest.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 1:34am On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Unfortunately the way I write is my style, I offer you no apologies if it offends you (perhaps you can reach out to Seun to give you an ignore user filter) I'm not on here to cater to you or prop up your self esteem. I'm a straight shooter.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way.

Let's not justify the fact that Nigeria is technologically behind to make ordinary cement pumps to be only useful on high-rises. When you have a lot that is behind another built up lot then you have to reach the build site with a crane pumper. If you don't know, ask.

A cement truck and pump are not that elaborate. Maybe not owned but perhaps rentable. I'm not here to discuss how Baba Lati the brikila can be efficient, I am here to see how to encourage improvements in the building scene. Lots of ideas are flying about, it's like a buffet, take what you can eat and leave the rest.

Anyways, you've made your point and I've made mine, regardless of how we have both interpreted it.

In a construction process, as with other areas of business, tools are acquired as needed, and used in ways that would enhance the process, either in efficiency, scale or quality.

If I have an inaccessible site then yes I can rent an concrete pump, or other options as may be cheaper but would get the job done. So I guess we agree on that.

The packaged sewage treatment plant shown here was hoisted into place using an excavator. It got the job done. We didn't need a crane to do it. If it could be done manually we wouldn't even bring in the excavator cos we wouldn't need it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:41am On Sep 04, 2015
semitunde:

Anyways, you've made your point and I've made mine, regardless of how we have both interpreted it.

In a construction process, as with other areas of business, tools are acquired as needed, and used in ways that would enhance the process, either in efficiency, scale or quality.

If I have an inaccessible site then yes I can rent an concrete pump, or other options as may be cheaper but would get the job done. So I guess we agree on that.

The packaged sewage treatment plant shown here was hoisted into place using an excavator. It got the job done. We didn't need a crane to do it. If it could be done manually we wouldn't even bring in the excavator cos we wouldn't need it.

Yep, like I said ad nuseum, if your project calls for automation then use if not then don't and that won't stop me from recommending to others on the thread.

Easy peasy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:02am On Sep 04, 2015
semitunde:

The packaged sewage treatment plant shown here was hoisted into place using an excavator.

@Semitunde... is this like a prefabricated Soak-away? If so, what material is it made of? Size and prices if possible.
Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:12am On Sep 04, 2015
http://www.wplinternational.com/product/wpl-hipaf-midi/

So they have a nice one for 1 - 20 people that I'll be emailing them about.

But this is confusing

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SEPTIC TANK AND A SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT?
A septic tank receives untreated wastewater from a property and allows the heavier solids to settle at the bottom whilst the effluent rises to the top. Endemic bacteria helps the system break down the solids and sludge. The remaining liquids flow out of the tank into a drainage field. The effluent from a septic tank still contains about 70% of the polluted matter in the sewage, and further treatment is necessary, whereas a sewage treatment plant gives aerobic digestion of the wastewater contaminants, and treats to a much higher standard than a septic tank. Treatment plant effluent can then be discharged into a water course, ditch (with Environment Agency approval) or to a conventional soakaway.

So look like I'll still need a soakaway and I'll still need to dig, twice. For this and the output.

This brings me to a learning opportunity. Where exactly does the finished business of a soak away goes to?

Can someone soakeducate the house on how they actually work?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:42am On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:
But this is confusing.

Thank you the Masquerade Man. I know you will dig it out.
Yes, this is very confusing and complicated... I have read something like this being used and popular in Ghana now..
I don't need any treated water from any waste (especially #2 waste) in Naija oh. I think I will settle for Baba Lamidi kind of Naija soak-away.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:10am On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

But this is confusing

The effluent from a septic tank still contains about 70% of the polluted matter in the sewage, and further treatment is necessary, whereas a sewage treatment plant gives aerobic digestion of the wastewater contaminants, and treats to a much higher standard than a septic tank. Treatment plant effluent can then be discharged into a water course, ditch (with Environment Agency approval) or to a conventional soakaway.

So look like I'll still need a soakaway and I'll still need to dig, twice. For this and the output.

This brings me to a learning opportunity. Where exactly does the finished business of a soak away goes to?

Can someone soakeducate the house on how they actually work?

Not confusing at all!

You can actually channel the waste water outside your property if you'd choose not to recycle. That way you won't require another septic tank but a drain field. The endemic bacteria feeds on the waste and they have the capability to reproduce themselves when there's too much to eat and when there's too little.

I'm yet to complete my research on this. But there's one very close to me which is currently been understudied.

You don't really need something that large for residential project. I'm visiting a ministry in Alausa to see how they did their installation. The picture shown to me didn't show a very large system.

Big Question: But why are all the good innovations coming from Ghana to Nigeria? I'm presently researching Hammerglass (I want to bid conventional burglar proof goodbye in my all glass residential projects) and the coy I was talking to in Sweden referred me to a company in Ghana which in turn referred me to a shop in Lagos. The same thing for Biofil Toilet Digester which is a Ghanaian company. They only have less informed marketers here in Nigeria.
Are we truly the giant of Africa? Abi Na paper giant.

Pics:
1. Biofil Toilet Digester setup in Ajah, Lagos.
2. Inside the system
3. Waste water channeled out of the compound into the drainage

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 8:23am On Sep 04, 2015
brabus:
Our architectural designs in naija is such a sham. Theres no interplay between the outdoor and indoor living spaces. We need to start designing structures with patios, gardens, natural platforms, decks, pools, turfs and hardscapes.

I grew up in hilltop residential estates and I would say "outdoor spaces" is more important to me. I want to have a place to sit in the sun and sip my morning coffee. I'm not prepared to do so at my kitchen table every morning. Maybe if I'm still renting I would. But definitely not when I build a multi-million naira house.
@ bolded, With this custom of client providing half plot of land & expecting an architect to design a maisionette? It's very difficult to plant the size of building on lands provided by client, let alone creating a garden & a pool, haba! @times one may even have to violate town planning laws & reg. Pertaining setbacks.

In design, client brief is very important, all the facilities u listed above requires space & finance. The structural stability of a building should come first before the landscaping & aesthetics. If clients can compromise the structural elements of a building due to finance, how much more outdoor facilities. In nigeria, clients are concerned about having a roof over their head. U know how hard things are in this part of the world. Most architects in nigeria are limited by clients brief & resources.

To your ante room & ensuit madness, a senator representing a senatorial district comes home, definitely there is going to be influx of visitors, from his co party members to traders & what have u, do u expect the traders to jump into the living room to intrude the senator's meeting with his co party members? The ante chamber serve as waiting area, where they can be entertained, which makes them feel welcomed. Though it's primarily for large buildings.

Foyer(entrance hall) is recommended for flats/apartment. There is a book guiding architects, just like the way pastors make reference to the bible. In architecture, there is something called flow chart, PORCH to HALL(from here visitors can access their wc, this space in large buildings is converted to anteroom) to LIVING, DINING, depending on how the architect wants it. Does it look good accessing the bedrooms from the living room? At least entering a LOBBY before accessing the bedrooms give one some sense of privacy, likewise anteroom(chamber) & foyer.

As regards the ensuit, everyone wants privacy, no one will abandon a self contain for a corridor house sharing one toilet. When u have your toilet, you can spend more time in the shower, on the toilet seat, without having the thought of someone waiting to dethrone u.

Pertaining the high pitch roof, u know nigerians with this perception of I want mine to look like that of my neighbour, hence the upward trend in concrete fascia. I once used a simple flat roof for a friend, because I wanted to save cost, but he flared up, saying it wasn't aesthetically pleasing, if not for fact that he is my bosom friend, he would have given it to another person, I then introduced hip roof, he asked me to add dutch.

High pitch, low pitch roof has to do with choice, architects dance to the tune of clients, as long as it doesn't affect the ventilation & structural stability of the building...

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 9:02am On Sep 04, 2015
snakebeat:

@ bolded, With this custom of client providing half plot of land & expecting an architect to design a maisionette? It's very difficult to plant the size of building on lands provided by client, let alone creating a garden & a pool, haba! @times one may even have to violate town planning laws & reg. Pertaining setbacks.

In design, client brief is very important, all the facilities u listed above requires space & finance. The structural stability of a building should come first before the landscaping & aesthetics. If clients can compromise the structural elements of a building due to finance, how much more outdoor facilities. In nigeria, clients are concerned about having a roof over their head. U know how hard things are in this part of the world. Most architects in nigeria are limited by clients brief & resources.

To your ante room & ensuit madness, a senator representing a senatorial district comes home, definitely there is going to be influx of visitors, from his co party members to traders & what have u, do u expect the traders to jump into the living room to intrude the senator's meeting with his co party members? The ante chamber serve as waiting area, where they can be entertained, which makes them feel welcomed. Though it's primarily for large buildings.

Foyer(entrance hall) is recommended for flats/apartment. There is a book guiding architects, just like the way pastors make reference to the bible. In architecture, there is something called flow chart, PORCH to HALL(from here visitors can access their wc, this space in large buildings is converted to anteroom) to LIVING, DINING, depending on how the architect wants it. Does it look good accessing the bedrooms from the living room? At least entering a LOBBY before accessing the bedrooms give one some sense of privacy, likewise anteroom(chamber) & foyer.

As regards the ensuit, everyone wants privacy, no one will abandon a self contain for a corridor house sharing one toilet. When u have your toilet, you can spend more time in the shower, on the toilet seat, without having the thought of someone waiting to dethrone u.

Pertaining the high pitch roof, u know nigerians with this perception of I want mine to look like that of my neighbour, hence the upward trend in concrete fascia. I once used a simple flat roof for a friend, because I wanted to save cost, but he flared up, saying it wasn't aesthetically pleasing, if not for fact that he is my bosom friend, he would have given it to another person, I then introduced hip roof, he asked me to add dutch.

High pitch, low pitch roof has to do with choice, architects dance to the tune of clients, as long as it doesn't affect the ventilation & structural stability of the building...
we both have similar experiences. i can forgive the en suite but what's up with the concrete fascias? that thing gulps money with out serving any serious functional purpose and most clients are really don't have deep enough pockets to finance their fantasy but i have decided to do those as a standard part of my designs to avoid clients teaching me my job. the latest craze is sunken living rooms.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:42am On Sep 04, 2015
abouzaid:
we both have similar experiences. i can forgive the en suite but what's up with the concrete fascias? that thing gulps money with out serving any serious functional purpose and most clients are really don't have deep enough pockets to finance their fantasy but i have decided to do those as a standard part of my designs to avoid clients teaching me my job. the latest craze is sunken living rooms.

There are plenty cheaper alternatives to the insitu concrete facias which considerably low ( about 50- 70% ) cost is save using these alternatives.

I am working on how improve the structural strength of precast facias for building. placing light reinforcement will solve all the problem with precast facial.

Alternative like polystyrene is cheaper, more aesthetics is achieved because of flexibility of materials, lighter in weight ( reducing torsional effect on building) and the cost is lower.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2015
Oga snakebeat,

Quoting your text:

I cannot do line by line. But back in the days, those who knew me wella in 2006 - 2010 know my political background. So politicians (not councillors o or ward chairman) don't entertain party members in the ante room. Fact of life! Do you know the popular Olosha Molete (Late Alh Lamidi Adedibu), he has a very large compound where he attends to people in their thousands on a daily basis.
Bros, we no get experience like you but people I know and BIG projects I've been part of, look past the excuses. They just do what is right for different situation.

Even political financiers don't meet party stalwarts inside their house. There's someone on this thread who can burst my lies if I'm cooking up one.

OGD during his 2nd term, ruled Ogun state from his abode in Sagamu, I can share with you the configuration of the massive house. No ante but patio and foyer. Then 2 very large sitting rooms and then a big dining and a big kitchen (RIP to the Chief Cook Adefolaju).

Then there is a massive hall, exactly like a church setting, where VIPs wait and press address happen. Then there is a massive office with a basement where the boss do his job.

So the traders, party members even royal highness who no dey inner circle have their place behind the 18ft tall fence.
Forget those fables "Ori ade ki nsun ita". Ori ade dey wait hours to meet the BIG players.

Maybe that's too much! Since he's a governor. Buruj Kashamu and Ladi Adebutu are house member. Kindly move closer to know how they serve their loyalist.

If you're an architect, I doubt you can design for me let alone this big guys.

I can share with this thread the floor plan of one of the biggest guys in Naija today, so you can see what the big guys are living in. I also suggest you try and visit homes of high ranking military officers to know how it is been configured. Wetin we never see!

Make no mistake bro, I'm not condemning the ante room. I just don't see its functionality in in most of the houses I've visited.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:11am On Sep 04, 2015
abdulwastecx:

There are plenty cheaper alternatives to the insitu concrete facias which considerably low ( about 50- 70% ) cost is save using these alternatives.

I am working on how improve the structural strength of precast facias for building. placing light reinforcement will solve all the problem with precast facial.

Alternative like polystyrene is cheaper, more aesthetics is achieved because of flexibility of materials, lighter in weight ( reducing torsional effect on building) and the cost is lower.[/quote[quote author=abdulwastecx post=37656999]

Alternative like polystyrene is cheaper, more aesthetics is achieved because of flexibility of materials, lighter in weight ( reducing torsional effect on building) and the cost is lower.
one thing i like about you is that is that you're highly knowledgeable about alternative technologies, i still remember your comment on using polyethene or carpets for a dpc membrane where no oversite concrete is
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 10:28am On Sep 04, 2015
brabus:
Oga snakebeat,

I cannot do line by line. But back in the days, those who knew me wella in 2006 - 2010 know my political background. So politicians (not councillors o or ward chairman) don't entertain party members in the ante room. Fact of life! Do you know the popular Olosha Molete (Late Alh Lamidi Adedibu), he has a very large compound where he attends to people in their thousands on a daily basis.
Bros, we no get experience like you but people I know and BIG projects I've been part of, look past the excuses. They just do what is right for different situation.

Even political financiers don't meet party stalwarts inside their house. There's someone on this thread who can burst my lies if I'm cooking up one.

OGD during his 2nd term, ruled Ogun state from his abode in Sagamu, I can share with you the configuration of the massive house. No ante but patio and foyer. Then 2 very large sitting rooms and then a big dining and a big kitchen (RIP to the Chief Cook Adefolaju).

Then there is a massive hall, exactly like a church setting, where VIPs wait and press address happen. Then there is a massive office with a basement where the boss do his job.

So the traders, party members even royal highness who no dey inner circle have their place behind the 18ft tall fence.
Forget those fables "Ori ade ki nsun ita". Ori ade dey wait hours to meet the BIG players.

Maybe that's too much! Since he's a governor. Buruj Kashamu and Ladi Adebutu are house member. Kindly move closer to know how they serve their loyalist.

If you're an architect, I doubt you can design for me let alone this big guys.

I can share with this thread the floor plan of one of the biggest guys in Naija today, so you can see what the big guys are living in. I also suggest you try and visit homes of high ranking military officers to know how it is been configured. Wetin we never see!

Make no mistake bro, I'm not condemning the ante room. I just don't see its functionality in in most of the houses I've visited.
My brother I'm truly surprise at your response. When I said party members & traders u should know it was to illustrate different categories of people. Did I describe the anteroom as an event centre? Someone designing a detached hall solely for visitors is entirely different from an anteroom or entrance hall.

Let me put it like this, anteroom(chambers) is the elder brother of foyer(entrance hall), they constitute part of a residential building flow chart.
Thanks....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:41am On Sep 04, 2015
snakebeat:

My brother I'm truly surprise at your response. When I said party members & traders u should know it was to illustrate different categories of people. Did I describe the anteroom as an event centre? Someone designing a detached hall solely for visitors is entirely different from an anteroom or entrance hall.

Let me put it like this, anteroom(chambers) is the elder brother of foyer(entrance hall), they constitute part of a residential building flow chart.
Thanks....

You've made your point. Thank you bro!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:58am On Sep 04, 2015
[quote author=abouzaid post=37657862][/quote]

Thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:01am On Sep 04, 2015
mufutau55:

@Abdulwastecx
Can you post a web link to those bamboo structures... I need to see the pictures bigger. Thanks.

Hajji M.

https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=bamboo+houses+in+colombia&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CC4QsARqFQoTCMSu-cyP3ccCFcG_FAodapcP4Q

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2015
With the little I know about architecture, I know that you live in your house the way u want it. You can have an anteroom if you want. If you do not want it, fine.

All we must know is that as an architect, you should be able to give an unbiased explanation about the functions of each part of the house. This will thus enable the client make. Decision as to how useful each spaces are and how to draw out a scale of preference that suits his needs and the space available. Because trust me, all these spaces have their uses, be it functionly or aesthetically

Then to bros Egunmogajji that doesn't like round pillars and archs. Me too. I do not like them but that doesn't mean they aren't nice. You need to see those buildings in Rome and Venice . I am not sure I know of any modern architecture that Appeals to me more that those. So that also Boils down to what you like and what you don't.

Bottom line is we all have the way we want our things. And we all should leave in it the way we want to.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:19pm On Sep 04, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2015
Its obvious that people design their homes base on how and what they cherish. I for one do not like big house. If i have all the money in the world, i will prefer to living in a penthouse in a high rise building or chalets with lots of land mass. I don't do columns, waiting rooms, and SERVANT quarter either. its just my personality. i like my space to be private without outsider living with me. so, small living area is my reference.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 04, 2015
true2home:
Its obvious that people design their homes base on how and what they cherish. I for one do not like big house. If i have all the money in the world, i will prefer to living in a penthouse in a high rise building or chalets with lots of land mass. I don't do columns, waiting rooms, and SERVANT quarter either. its just my personality. i like my space to be private without outsider living with me. so, small living area is my reference.

Will you at least have a madams room? grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

There are times you don't want those Madams in your room o... so I have one. smiley You even need more if you have more than one Madam.
Save yourself those FastShipping "Extra Strength Aleeves"...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

madams room is none acceptable, i rather have a home office with a bed or a coach i can sleep on.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:19pm On Sep 04, 2015
skimanski:
With the little I know about architecture, I know that you live in your house the way u want it. You can have an anteroom if you want. If you do not want it, fine.

All we must know is that as an architect, you should be able to give an unbiased explanation about the functions of each part of the house. This will thus enable the client make. Decision as to how useful each spaces are and how to draw out a scale of preference that suits his needs and the space available. Because trust me, all these spaces have their uses, be it functionly or aesthetically

Then to bros Egunmogajji that doesn't like round pillars and archs. Me too. I do not like them but that doesn't mean they aren't nice. You need to see those buildings in Rome and Venice . I am not sure I know of any modern architecture that Appeals to me more that those. So that also Boils down to what you like and what you don't.

Bottom line is we all have the way we want our things. And we all should leave in it the way we want to.

CHOICE
Oga Skimanski has confirmed what I said earlier.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2015
For some strange reasons I'm only able to coment Here just.phew I dunno what happened
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 4:42pm On Sep 04, 2015
mufutau55:

@Semitunde... is this like a prefabricated Soak-away? If so, what material is it made of? Size and prices if possible.
Thank you.

Hajji M.

Its approx. 8m long and 3m wide. Height is around 2.5m. Its made of fibre material. Same as you have with the fibre bath tub. But is still very heavy because of the composition inside and the size.

Its treats the waste and passes out relatively clean effluent that can be channels into the public drainage system. The system is a little like septic tank and a little like oxidation pond. It has like a filtration/ adsorption chamber that takes away the smell, taste and other impurities. It also has a section where air is blown into it so that the waste can decompose aerobically unlike a septic tank.

From the manual, it can treat waste for up to 100 housing units.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2015
semitunde:

Its approx. 8m long and 3m wide. Height is around 2.5m. Its made of fibre material. Same as you have with the fibre bath tub. But is still very heavy because of the composition inside and the size.

Its treats the waste and passes out relatively clean effluent that can be channels into the public drainage system. The system is a little like septic tank and a little like oxidation pond. It has like a filtration/ adsorption chamber that takes away the smell, taste and other impurities. It also has a section where air is blown into it so that the waste can decompose aerobically unlike a septic tank.

From the manual, it can treat waste for up to 100 housing units.

Thank you sir. I was also directed to their website for more reading... It's advantageous in a way that it may never be full at some point like the regular soak-away as some of the processed water will be released out. Thanks for the education. We keep learning.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 5:40pm On Sep 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Thank you sir. I was also directed to their website for more reading... It's advantageous in a way that it may never be full at some point like the regular soak-away as some of the processed water will be released out. Thanks for the education. We keep learning.

Hajji M.

Sir ke?! I get uncomfortable when I get called that on site, talk less of someone like you sir.

I tried emailing them for another project that needed the same system and they didn't bother to reply the mail. The owner of the site where we used it actually went to the UK to meet and deal with them directly. Their responsibility for the plant ended when they shipped it in and I was just given the manual to study and direct the installation.

I had its own issues. I'll advise anyone who wants to install it to have a good M$E consultant or an ENGR or builder who has experienced the installation before. Not because the installation is that difficult, but because different sites have to be dealt with differently.

@brabus the guys in Nigeria for biofil are just for sales and can't really answer complicated questions. But they look like the only ones easily reached in the country.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 04, 2015
KolaShangOne:

CHOICE
Oga Skimanski has confirmed what I said earlier.

Which, my two ogas, are the obvious.

Of course it's the homeowners choice. But that doesn't stop us from using that choice as fodder for discussion.

Mr. Kola I bet you're so pro roman pillar that you may even have the statue of Julius Caesar in your driveway grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 04, 2015
abouzaid:
madams room is none acceptable, i rather have a home office with a bed or a coach i can sleep on.

Are you guys designing "man caves" into houses yet in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: pharmadek, obago(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.