Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4447330 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 06, 2015
I'm trying to figure out how much the transportation cost for granite trucks should be.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:31am On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

See contrast in life cheesy

I've been charged and accused of condescending remarks and now of jocularity.

I hope you're all having a nice weekend. Me I'm doing exercise so I can come and help you chop some of that life there in Nigeria in 7 days.

I am also waiting for your arrival, we need to see pictures of serious workings, no need to exercise in Nigeria, you can get all the exercise you need right at the site. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:32am On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I'm trying to figure out how much the transportation cost for granite trucks should be.

Thanks.

Depends on the size of truck/tonnage and where it is coming from. Checkitaut will soon be here to tell us more.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:54am On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

Elebu is closer to many quarries. Shouldn't cost so much.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 06, 2015
brabus:

Elebu is closer to many quarries. Shouldn't cost so much.

Yeah I found one off of the E1 that is 5 miles from my site as the crow flies.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 06, 2015
spyder880:

I am also waiting for your arrival, we need to see pictures of serious workings, no need to exercise in Nigeria, you can get all the exercise you need right at the site. cheesy

I won't disappoint because you've set a great example for us to follow.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 7:27am On Sep 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:

rafter don't rest on the fascia ( either insitu, precast of polystyrene). the rafter is connected to the tie beam with the help of a small strut, both are then connected to the wall plate. the sketch below will help to buttress my point
Thanks a lot sir for the explanation. U're good. Maybe I didn't phrase it well, just wanted to know if there is concrete casting before using the polystyrene to cover it. When one sum the polystyrene cost + concrete casting, will there much difference in cost with the precast type...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:33am On Sep 06, 2015
snakebeat:

Thanks a lot sir for the explanation. U're good. Maybe I didn't phrase it well, just wanted to know if there is concrete casting before using the polystyrene to cover it. When one sum the polystyrene cost + concrete casting, will there much difference in cost with the precast type...

It will be a bit higher than that of the precast.... But the polystyrene is more flexible with shapes/design, faster and easier to installed than precast.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 8:05am On Sep 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:

It will be a bit higher than that of the precast.... But the polystyrene is more flexible with shapes/design, faster and easier to installed than precast.
I thought among all the facia, precast is more flexible when it comes to shape & design, aren't the polystyrene factory made? Or can one specify his design/shape type?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:45am On Sep 06, 2015
snakebeat:

I thought among all the facia, precast is more flexible when it comes to shape & design, aren't the polystyrene factory made? Or can one specify his design/shape type?

flexibility of precast is limited to technology available to make the mould, to lift the precast( weight is control which hamper flexibility).

you can specify the shape and design to the company
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 8:54am On Sep 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:

flexibility of precast is limited to technology available to make the mould, to lift the precast( weight is control which hamper flexibility).

you can specify the shape and design to the company
Thanks a lot...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mustghan(m): 10:16am On Sep 06, 2015
I guess I am more knowledgeable in the area of building and design after reading this thread. Love u guys

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:31pm On Sep 06, 2015
Mustghan:
I guess I am more knowledgeable in the area of building and design after reading this thread. Love u guys
its a good feeling to be armed with these knowledge so as to make your dream house come through and that it is fit for purpose.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TLAX: 1:50pm On Sep 06, 2015
Shower trays, shower cubicles and bath tubs....which one is preferred these days. I am all for bespoke shower area design with fitted non aluminum tamper glass sliding or just doors.

Can any one post pictures of bath areas here? I suspect bath tubs will soon be relics of the past.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 06, 2015
Here's what I'll be replicating for my master. The jack and Jill restroom will have shower (don't want the kids to be too comfortable so they don't want to move out) and the visitor will have just s shower too.

Skimanski I think has shown a great bathroom maybe you can search his thread.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:38pm On Sep 06, 2015
See through toilet

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TLAX: 3:39pm On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Here's what I'll be replicating for my master. The jack and Jill restroom will have shower (don't want the kids to be too comfortable so they don't want to move out) and the visitor will have just s shower too.

Skimanski I think has shown a great bathroom maybe you can search his thread.

Interesting concept. Yes Skimanaki does have some interesting bathrooms on his threads.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:40pm On Sep 06, 2015
Bath tube

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:45pm On Sep 06, 2015
^^^^^

Outdated. Early 90s design. Neither contemporary nor modern. An interior designer who gives me that must fully refund me in less than 24 hours then pack his tools and disappear from my site. grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TLAX: 3:54pm On Sep 06, 2015
segcymoor:
Bath tube

Wow this is right inside the room? No privacy at all. I am not sure it will work for most people. If something like this is to be considered at all it has to be a shower enclosure but the WC is a no-no.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TLAX: 3:58pm On Sep 06, 2015
segcymoor:
See through toilet

This is more like it. Intercontinental Hotel in Lagos has something similar but the glasses are frosted (I hope that's the word)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 4:04pm On Sep 06, 2015
segcymoor:
See through toilet

And if your kids just barge into your room without knocking. .......? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:13pm On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Did you accept the challenge? I though you backed off in alarm that I took you up on it grin

Odi ijo idije cheesy

Naaaa.. Didn't back out. Just that I wouldn't want you to lose 1000 dollars. I don't want to be the reason you won't complete your foundation..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 06, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Naaaa.. Didn't back out. Just that I wouldn't want you to lose 1000 dollars. I don't want to be the reason you won't complete your foundation..

Don't worry mate, $1,000 won't make me not complete my foundation grin That's weekend money cool

Glad to see it's still on. I thought maybe you did an "Oyo Ayomole".

_________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

So my fence is almost done which was part of the bet, so we'll have to come up with another bonus. I'm thinking if I win, which I will, then THE Engineer still has to come onsite and I get use of your concrete mixer and leveling machine grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 6:15pm On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Don't worry mate, $1,000 won't make me not complete my foundation grin That's weekend money cool

Glad to see it's still on. I thought maybe you did an "Oyo Ayomole".

_________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

So my fence is almost done which was part of the bet, so we'll have to come up with another bonus. I'm thinking if I win, which I will, then THE Engineer still has to come onsite and I get use of your concrete mixer and leveling machine grin

Looking at the topography of your land from this picture, if I were you I would have made sure a 2ft concrete wall was done before setting blocks on top of it. Also, I would have preferred concrete columns to columns made with 6 inch blocks. There were no columns in front stretch part of the fence too. Let an engineer take a look at this.

Something like in the picture below.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 06, 2015
FastShipping:

Looking at the topography of your land from this picture, if I were you I would have made sure a 2ft concrete wall was done before setting blocks on top of it. Also, I would have preferred concrete columns to columns made with 6 inch blocks. There were no columns in front stretch part of the fence too. Let an engineer take a look at this.

Something like in the picture below.

I know where you're coming from but I'm truly okay with my fence. It's simply a means to an end.

Thanks for watching out for a Bro though cool

PS: The entire fence has columns all the way around and including the front.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 7:03pm On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I know where you're coming from but I'm truly okay with my fence. It's simply a means to an end.

Thanks for watching out for a Bro though cool

PS: The entire fence has columns all the way around and including the front.

Good.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 06, 2015
FastShipping:

Good.

I hope and wish for a Nigeria of the future where I can remove a lot of the front part of the fence and reduce the height all around.

But for sure the fence is going to be heavily reduced as I age into the neighborhood and step down from DEFCON1 grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 7:38pm On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I hope and wish for a Nigeria of the future where I can remove a lot of the front part of the fence and reduce the height all around.

But for sure the fence is going to be heavily reduced as I age into the neighborhood and step down from DEFCON1 grin

A fence brings no aesthetic to home. I was determined not to have a fence but the wailing was too much from the people who are never going to be allowed to sleep a night there. I eventually succumbed to popular demand. That's the only demand I accommodated so far. My glass roof was overruled without my knowledge but it must be done by my next builder. Few others got overruled without my knowledge too that must come back into my plan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Yeah I found one off of the E1 that is 5 miles from my site as the crow flies.

You're very close to one of my client. We are at Aba Bashorun Road (7.35x, 3.83y).

Good Terrain.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 06, 2015
FastShipping:

A fence brings no aesthetic to home. I was determined not to have a fence but the wailing was too much from the people who are never going to be allowed to sleep a night there. I eventually succumbed to popular demand. That's the only demand I accommodated so far. My glass roof was overruled without my knowledge but it must be done by my next builder. Few others got overruled without my knowledge too that must come back into my plan.

And that's why I opted for 6" blocks even though it's only N20 difference per block. I will be destabilizing quite a bunch of them as I age into the hood. When I'm full time on the ground then I will have Dobermans to replace the fence grin

I'm glad I stuck to my guns and getting all the must have's, at least so far. There is only one part, a 35 foot section that I wish not to have any block wall or pillars just sliding glass.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AfroUpdate01, jeffkennedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.