Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,758 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4382386 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 04, 2015
mufutau55:

Thank you sir. I think I will check-out some of the bamboo houses when next I visit Colombia.. Thanks.

Hajji M.

And there you go boys, in case you missed it Hajji is subliminally oppressing us with mentions of his affluent international travels grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:05pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

And there you go boys, in case you missed it Hajji is subliminally oppressing us with mentions of his affluent international travels grin

I know. My hobby used to be photography and travelling and I have done that extensively ... until lately when I decided going into baby factory again... now my grandchildren are the same age as my children... Naija style. No regret though.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Which, my two ogas, are the obvious.

Of course it's the homeowners choice. But that doesn't stop us from using that choice as fodder for discussion.

Mr. Kola I bet you're so pro roman pillar that you may even have the statue of Julius Caesar in your driveway grin
have you ever imagined what it would be like to live in a Roman themed villa,complete with a Roman bath/pool.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Are you guys designing "man caves" into houses yet in Nigeria?
to be honest, most home offices seems more like leftover space than delibrate designs. reminds me of the box room.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 04, 2015
abouzaid:
have you ever imagined what it would be like to live in a Roman themed villa,complete with a Roman bath/pool.

Okay I'm into modern architecture. My role model is Frank Lloyd.

That being said I recognize Mediterranean villas and Greek architecture inspired estates.

My issues is the mish mash of Nigerians building confusing structures.

It's as if someone is designing an European house and has left over granite and cement and directs his builder to stick a pillar here, there and over there.

Sometimes they lack cohesiveness. I have seen some houses that were designed true and true with Greek influence and I have no issues with that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 04, 2015
abouzaid:
to be honest, most home offices seems more like leftover space than delibrate designs. reminds me of the box room.

So man caves are dedicated play room for the man of the house. That's where him and the boys will hang out. You of course will find a big screen tv, maybe a bar, card table, trophys maybe of past prowresses, maybe a humidor, you know typical guy stuff and maybe some stuffed game animals.

I have one that is 17'x8', it is the one room that my wife has no direct influence on by agreement grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 6:25pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

So man caves are dedicated play room for the man of the house. That's where him and the boys will hang out. You of course will find a big screen tv, maybe a bar, card table, trophys maybe of past prowresses, maybe a humidor, you know typical guy stuff and maybe some stuffed game animals.

I have one that is 17'x8', it is the one room that my wife has no direct influence on by agreement grin
most Nigerian wives won't be comfortable with that, that's why many Nigerian men patronize one joint or the other to hangout. a few men actually go to joints with their older sons.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 04, 2015
abouzaid:
most Nigerian wives won't be comfortable with that, that's why many Nigerian men patronize one joint or the other to hangout. a few men actually go to joints with their older sons.

Duly noted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:30pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Very well said Brother... but then we live on a different code than Naija guys... but I have seen many Naijas adopting this way now too...
There is where I call "Comfortable Room". Why patronizing hotels, joints, and hang-out corners when you have all the comfort in your house?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Of course it's the homeowners choice. But that doesn't stop us from using that choice as fodder for discussion.

Mr. Kola I bet you're so pro roman pillar that you may even have the statue of Julius Caesar in your driveway grin

I'm not Pro or Anti Roman pillars or arcs but I do not detest it provided it fits the structure it was designed for

We cannot deny that great Architectural masterpieces including the White house, Capitol building, the Kremlin in Russia, City of Rome, Theatres all over the world, the buildings in Vatican, "Aciendars" in Mexico, with walkways designed with Arcs etc..

I do not have a pillar or an Arc in my own house building design but I know there are some designs that will fit Roman pillars and Arcs so I'm kinda open minded.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 04, 2015
KolaShangOne:

I'm not Pro or Anti Roman pillars or arcs but I do not detest it provided it fits the structure it was designed for [/b]

We cannot deny that great Architectural masterpieces including the White house, Capitol building, the Kremlin in Russia, City of Rome, Theatres all over the world, the buildings in Vatican, "Aciendars" in Mexico, with walkways designed with Arcs etc..

I do not have a pillar or an Arc in my own house building design but I know there are some designs that will fit Roman pillars and Arcs so I'm kinda open minded.

Okay now we're truly reaching grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 3:11am On Sep 05, 2015
abdulwastecx:

There are plenty cheaper alternatives to the insitu concrete facias which considerably low ( about 50- 70% ) cost is save using these alternatives.

I am working on how improve the structural strength of precast facias for building. placing light reinforcement will solve all the problem with precast facial.

Alternative like polystyrene is cheaper, more aesthetics is achieved because of flexibility of materials, lighter in weight ( reducing torsional effect on building) and the cost is lower.

Polystyrene facial. 4k per meter or so...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:52am On Sep 05, 2015
Dominionng:

Wow. This is good, a very good light weight alternatives. Is the 4k the complete installed price?
Can you give more info on the company or those offering it? Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:00am On Sep 05, 2015
mufutau55:

Wow. This is good, a very good light weight alternatives. Is the 4k the complete installed price?

Hajji M.
I want to to know too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 12:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
Dominionng:

I need to know what's underneath the roof. Is that concrete cast before you install the polystyrene facial or what ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
Dominionng:

4k per meter is very reasonable. Cheaper than Aluminium parapet which sells for 15.5k

But it looks like there'll be some concrete work before the installation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 1:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

4k is the Abuja based company's production price per linear meter. another N500 for installation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:39pm On Sep 05, 2015
Dominionng:

4k is the Abuja based company's production price per linear meter. another N500 for installation.
Do you mind sharing the name of the Abuja based company?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 6:38pm On Sep 05, 2015
erico2k2:

Do you mind sharing the name of the Abuja based company?

Polystyrene Industries Limited
Plot 416, Idu Industrial Estate Abuja.
Tel: +23492916411, +234929116412, +2347010612764

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 6:44pm On Sep 05, 2015
Dominionng:

Sir the Polystyrene facial seems like cladding to me. Are the rafters going to rest on concrete or the polystyrene? If it's just for cladding, then it's no way different from precast.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 6:49pm On Sep 05, 2015
skimanski:

I need to know what's underneath the roof. Is that concrete cast before you install the polystyrene facial or what ?

That's correct. Half concrete cast, to be completed after installation of the polystyrene facial
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PeoplesArmy: 8:04pm On Sep 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I don't mind that statue of Julius Caesar in my living room for continuous inspiration on how to usurp somethings/people angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PeoplesArmy: 8:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

That being said I recognize Mediterranean villas and Greek architecture inspired estates.

It's as if someone is designing an European house and has left over granite and cement and directs his builder to stick a pillar here, there and over there.

Sometimes they lack cohesiveness. I have seen some houses that were designed true and true with Greek influence and I have no issues with that.

This egunmogaji sef....your style of commenting has me rolling on the floor sometimes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PeoplesArmy: 8:08pm On Sep 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

@Left over granite and cement...This egunmogaji sef....your style of commenting has me rolling on the floor sometimes grin grin...that is sooo cruel.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
PeoplesArmy:

I don't mind that statue of Julius Caesar in my living room for continuous inspiration on how to usurp somethings/people angry

Pisure or idontbilivit grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:29pm On Sep 05, 2015
Dominionng:

Polystyrene Industries Limited
Plot 416, Idu Industrial Estate Abuja.
Tel: +23492916411, +234929116412, +2347010612764
Thanks plenty wink wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 05, 2015
PeoplesArmy:

@Left over granite and cement...This egunmogaji sef....your style of commenting has me rolling on the floor sometimes grin grin...that is sooo cruel.

See contrast in life cheesy

I've been charged and accused of condescending remarks and now of jocularity.

I hope you're all having a nice weekend. Me I'm doing exercise so I can come and help you chop some of that life there in Nigeria in 7 days.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:54pm On Sep 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

See contrast in life cheesy

I've been charged and accused of condescending remarks and now of jocularity.

I hope you're all having a nice weekend. Me I'm doing exercise so I can come and help you chop some of that life there in Nigeria in 7 days.

I suspect you should be doing 50kg dumbbells by now so that you can carry 50 blocks per day..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 05, 2015
KolaShangOne:

I suspect you should be doing 50kg dumbbells by now so that you can carry 50 blocks per day..

Did you accept the challenge? I though you backed off in alarm that I took you up on it grin

Odi ijo idije cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:11am On Sep 06, 2015
snakebeat:

Sir the Polystyrene facial seems like cladding to me. Are the rafters going to rest on concrete or the polystyrene? If it's just for cladding, then it's no way different from precast.

rafter don't rest on the fascia ( either insitu, precast of polystyrene). the rafter is connected to the tie beam with the help of a small strut, both are then connected to the wall plate. the sketch below will help to buttress my point

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:21am On Sep 06, 2015
brabus:

4k per meter is very reasonable. Cheaper than Aluminium parapet which sells for 15.5k

But it looks like there'll be some concrete work before the installation.

just the head beam/ head course as the case may be.

the head beam is cast half way and allowed to set for a day, the polystyrene is then attached and the remaining gab within the head beam is cast with the use of 1/8 or stone dust.

Note: the first casting is done half way leaving behind the two top reinforcement to which the polystyrene is attached.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 1:09am On Sep 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:

rafter don't rest on the fascia ( either insitu, precast of polystyrene). the rafter is connected to the tie beam with the help of a small strut, both are then connected to the wall plate. the sketch below will help to buttress my point

pls, looking at your pix, the one you held is that rafter, purlins or strut? I'm kinda confused with them ……… any assistance will be appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: opera1(m), Badgers14 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.