Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,772 members, 7,827,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4424775 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:05pm On Oct 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

The pilars are being cast as I type.
Filings will go on as soon as roads are dry enough for truck to enter the site.
It will settle naturally until I go back onsite in March for German floor and as much rows of walls I can afford.

OK. Good. I didn't know some things are being done on your behalf... Yes, I like the naturally settlement instead of the ramming.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
FastShipping:

Naaaaaaaa! You have to consider the cost of transportation.

It's N700 per tonne delivered to site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:
On another note are there as such as private investigators in Ibadan?
I need to locate someone.
I know a first name, profession and a certain ham fisted known associate grin

I am sure there are "Otelemuye" in Ibadan.. you just need to dig.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 02, 2015
mufutau55:

OK. Good. I didn't know some things are being done on your behalf... Yes, I like the naturally settlement instead of the ramming.

Hajji M.

Yeah..all the materials for casting were all onsite before I left.

I've separated materials from labor. The system I have in place is that a vendor will deliver 20 to 40 ton per day. I have independent people on the ground bring paid for verification. I'm negotiating now for the labor to haul the load into the foundation. The bond of contention is that they want to charge per load but I want a total foundation filled price.

That the site is now fully secured is a superb bonus in my scheme to bring order to artisans and suppliers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Yeah..all the materials for casting were all onsite before I left.

I've separated materials from labor. The system I have in place is that a vendor will deliver 20 to 40 ton per day. I have independent people on the ground bring paid for verification. I'm negotiating now for the labor to haul the load into the foundation. The bond of contention is that they want to charge per load but I want a total foundation filled price.

That the site is now fully secured is a superb bonus in my scheme to bring order to artisans and suppliers.

Good Project management... Just keep at it and monitoring too. Never trust anyone... and I mean anyone. I have learnt several lessons.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
mufutau55:

Good Project management... Just keep at it and monitoring too. Never trust anyone... and I mean anyone.

Hajji M.

Duly noted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 10:09pm On Oct 02, 2015
mufutau55:

You mean Madam GabbyTabby? If so, we need to call her out of human hibernation.

Hajji M.

I dey my people. 1 week before I go and 2 weeks after I land for war front (9ja) are usually extremely busy for me. It should get better by Monday.

Egunmogaji welcome back had a good dose of reality check I hope.

40k for laterite is expensive.

kolashangone neutral family and neutral carpenter do not exist oh. It's all about opportunity cost if you cannot be there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 02, 2015
gabbytabby:

I dey my people. 1 week before I go and 2 weeks after I land for war front (9ja) are usually extremely busy for me. It should get better by Monday.

kolashangone neutral family and neutral carpenter do not exist oh. It's all about opportunity cost if you cannot be there.

Hello Madam, reality check was better than imagined. Made significant more progress than I thought.

There are some trustworthy people still on the ground. I found one.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 2:55am On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Hello Madam, reality check was better than imagined. Made significant more progress than I thought.

There are some trustworthy people still on the ground. I found one.

You are lucky to have found one. It must be good with cement at 1500.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Duly noted.
Ah you are back to the big apple.project going nice I see ur progress on ground.nothing like knowing exactly what needs to be done next.the rains are not making boys smile on site so I heard.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 03, 2015
erico2k2:

Ah you are back to the big apple.project going nice I see ur progress on ground.nothing like knowing exactly what needs to be done next.the rains are not making boys smile on site so I heard.

Thanks Man, I appreciate your comments as you are unique in knowing AmeriLondon Vs Naija landscape and running shyte remotely.

The rain is a double edge sword. I need it to help compress the filings but it's stopping filing from getting to site in the first place shocked

But it's a nice stress and actually a nice distraction from daily hustle over here grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2015
I have a question.

When you use water to pack laterite in foundation, where does the water go? Do I have to make weep holes for it's egress on the bottom or it will evaporate.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I have a question.

When you use water to pack laterite in foundation, where does the water go? Do I have to make weep holes for it's egress on the bottom or it will evaporate.

Thanks.

it is called compaction:
the soil/ laterite is made up of soil, void and water.
when you add water to the laterite and rammer you actually making the soil particle come closed together when it happens, the void space is now occupied by closely packed soil/laterite particles.

The soil dries up loosing the moisture and leaving behind a closely packed soil

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 1:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
abouzaid:
this is one of the designs I'm currently working, it's a low cost design for a fifty by fifty plot of land. three bedrooms, two downstairs and a modest sized masters suite upstairs with a six feet deep veranda overlooking the ten by fifteen courtyard on the back. minimum sized bedroom is a twelve by twelve and all rooms cross ventilated. semi open plan living room.

please which software did u use for that design? And please can anyone help me with the name of software used in structural design? I have been seeing guys in older threads talk about Revit and Orion.... are both for str. design & which is better to learn?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:56pm On Oct 03, 2015
gabbytabby:

Madam GabbyTabby, I understand your submission about "neutral family" is based on your experience.. And a lot of people abroad have the same problem because family members think they are picking money from the streets Overseas..

But one should be able to get at least 1 person in a whole family who can be trusted even if not completely.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 1:57pm On Oct 03, 2015
Who ever created this thread, God will purnish that person with success & prosperity……… indeed info rests here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
Miscellaneous:
Who ever created this thread, God will purnish that person with success & prosperity……… indeed info rests here.

I don't even create threads anymore.

All the usual and pertinent suspects are all here grin

It can even be collated into a book, volum by volume.

An Idiots Guide To Building Basics by Hajj M. (or maybe a pseudo name grin ) Volume 1, published by Nairaland Publishers

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
abdulwastecx:

it is called compaction:
the soil/ laterite is made up of soil, void and water.
when you add water to the laterite and rammer you actually making the soil particle come closed together when it happens, the void space is now occupied by closely packed soil/laterite particles.

The soil dry up loosing the moisture and leaving behind a closely packed soil

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2015
I have approximately 500 meters of fencing that needs coping and barbed wire installation.

Can I get an idea of what I need for materials and labor? Maybe someone has recently done this and can share.

Muchas gracias mi amigo y amigas grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Madam GabbyTabby, I understand your submission about "neutral family" is based on your experience.. And a lot of people abroad have the same problem because family members think they are picking money from the streets Overseas..

But one should be able to get at least 1 person in a whole family who can be trusted even if not completely.

Well it depends on how large the family is. The issue I have is not doing something just because we're family and expecting to be paid for everything but then I understand the Nigeria issue.

I have family members, one from my Wife and one from me, whose only capacity is just visiting and observation (basically I trust my artisans but need to verify ala Ronald Regan).

Blockmakers deliver blocks and stack them in an easily countable manner, send photos, verified by a family member and then I wire transfer to them, cement supplier supplies cement the same way. I think these keeps everyone honest but you can never engineer fraud out of human element.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I have approximately 500 meters of fencing that needs coping and barbed wire installation.

Can I get an idea of what I need for materials and labor? Maybe someone has recently done this and can share.

Muchas gracias mi amigo y amigas grin

856m2 of fence (recently done) cost around N80,000:00 using barb wire. Average of N1,000/m2

Picture below.

________
Other types of fence range between N1,200 - N2,500/m2

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
Miscellaneous:

please which software did u use for that design? And please can anyone help me with the name of software used in structural design? I have been seeing guys in older threads talk about Revit and Orion.... are both for str. design & which is better to learn?

I learnt and used SketchUp. It allowed me to convey my ideas and needs to my architect who then took the ball and ran with it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:35pm On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I learnt and used SketchUp. It allowed me to convey my ideas and needs to my architect who then took the ball and ran with it.

I have to give it you, you have tried very well to accomplish what you want. I like that in you. Knowledge is good asset.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2015
mufutau55:

I have to give it you, you have tried very well to accomplish what you want. I like that in you. Knowledge is good asset.

Hajji M.

Thank you Sir, this means a lot to me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I don't even create threads anymore.

All the usual and pertinent suspects are all here grin

It can even be collated into a book, volum by volume.

An Idiots Guide To Building Basics by Hajj M. (or maybe a pseudo name grin ) Volume 1, published by Nairaland Publishers

An idiot can never nurse the idea of creating this kind of thread. I thank everyone for their contribution even still………
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

thanks alot man.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
Miscellaneous:

An idiot can never nurse the idea of creating this kind of thread. I thank everyone for their contribution even still………

I think you missed the premise of my post.

I would never call Hajj an idiot. How can I when I'm hoping he'll adopt me? grin

http://www.idiotsguides.com/about-idiots-guides/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
Please any civil or structural engr here should please tell me the software used in str. design. Revit or Orion? Which is the best?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:11pm On Oct 03, 2015
Miscellaneous:

"Idiot's Guide" is a series of books for newbies released in USA here. He is not using it as a direct sentence.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Quite a number of my dad's tenants have been more than family to us. My brother was using one and he was doing a good job. Next thing I know his relatives started calling him ode and things started to go south.

I find that you also have to be fair with your request if it is taking people away from their means of livelihood then you need to insist on them being compensated even if they say there is no need.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brag3: 4:20pm On Oct 03, 2015
Totally agree with this. Quid pro quo

gabbytabby:
Quite a number of my dad's tenants have been more than family to us. My brother was using one and he was doing a good job. Next thing I know his relatives started calling him ode and things started to go south.

I find that you also have to be fair with your request if it is taking people away from their means of livelihood then you need to insist on them being compensated even if they say there is need.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 4:24pm On Oct 03, 2015
mufutau55:

"Idiot's Guide" is a series of books for newbies released in USA here. He is not using it as a direct sentence.

Hajji M.

oh……… @EgunMogaji sorry for misinterpretation never knew of idiot series before now only knew about dummies.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gentlesoul83(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.