Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375400 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
Miscellaneous:

@pic…… sorry to say but why does the design looks like a shadow has been cast on it? It looks shabby & hence, not beautiful. I thought archicad will have better graphics but sadly, it's behind autocad.
i turned off most of the settings to get a shorter rendering time, for example, there's no single lighting in it and even sunshine was turned off
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 10:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
darenyx:

Archicad+artlantis gives you this.. . For structural design, I recommend csc orion 18, etabs.. easiest to master with loads of tutorials online..

If you can use torrent, you can also download dummy series for the various software and Lynda series

was that done with archicad + artlantis?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
Is this sufficient as Damp Proof Membrane?

This is what I found at Ogunpa but I am not impressed with the gauge.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2015
3strike:
I need hookup with someone who can help mold interlocking stones and install....please help a brother and a rookie.

Thanks

3strikes!!!

Search for a Nairalander wit d moniker 'Tpave' sir maybe u can get wot u r looking for from him or his threads.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:38pm On Oct 04, 2015
I need a good link to download cracked versions of etabs and Orion that will work.

I have downloaded several etabs 13 with cracks but non has worked. The only one that worked is etabs 9 but misplaced the file and cant remember where i download it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 11:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
Miscellaneous:

was that done with archicad + artlantis?

Yea.. and render time was less than 10mins..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:24am On Oct 05, 2015
adanny01:
I need a good link to download cracked versions of etabs and Orion that will work.

I have downloaded several etabs 13 with cracks but non has worked. The only one that worked is etabs 9 but misplaced the file and cant remember where i download it.

You can just by the software online
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:32am On Oct 05, 2015
adanny01:

Which would you recommend for commercial purposes.

Have you tried ETABS?

any of orion or etabs will do
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
Anyone heard of concrete floor with stamping to look like interlocking?

So I was talking to couple of people about the different option of floor I can do for my compound instead of doing the interlocking stone. Someone mentioned concrete floor with stamping. he did say that its way cheaper than the interlocking stone and that the stamping will give it the interlocking look.

Can someone please advice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
3strike:

So I was talking to couple of people about the different option of floor I can do for my compound instead of doing the interlocking stone. Someone mentioned concrete floor with stamping. he did say that its way cheaper than the interlocking stone and that the stamping will give it the interlocking look.

I'll be doing concrete stamping inside and outside of my house. Interlocking is too problematic though it provides ability to repair subfloor.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'll be doing concrete stamping inside and outside of my house. Interlocking is too problematic though it provides ability to repair subfloor.

Nice one bro. I will be looking @ that direction too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 05, 2015
3strike:

Nice one bro. I will be looking @ that direction too.

Yeah even my counter tops in kitchen and bathrooms will be concrete.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Examples

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
More

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
Interlock can never match this quality, imho

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 05, 2015
And we have pillars..

Let the wallet emptying laterite filling commence shocked

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:
And we have pillars..

Let the wallet emptying laterite filling commence shocked

Oga, Update us on the cost so far.. Cost and quantity of materials, labour etc.. That's what most NL'ers want to see..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:27pm On Oct 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Interlock can never match this quality, imho

Poor interlocking.. Yes they can't.. But the cost of this flooring is almost 4 times the cost of interlocking..

Bi owo ba se to, l'ogun mo..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:44pm On Oct 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Examples

I am not sure we have artisans who can do the stamping for the interior and look great like the pictures you just displayed.

I also don't think it makes sense to do German floor immediately after the foundation and then do stamping during the flooring/finishing because of the height of the flooring. German floor will be 5-6 inches and I know concrete used for stamping will take another 5-6 inches. We are looking at 10-12 inches of floor concrete. How is that going to work?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 05, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Oga, Update us on the cost so far.. Cost and quantity of materials, labour etc.. That's what most NL'ers want to see..

Each project is different and thus the cost/quantity of my project can't be compared to another one. The reason I share pics is perhaps someone can spot an issue like Brabus (second wall) and you (decomposable vegetation) did.

I've shared pertinent costs along the way but in case you weren't paying attention in class, here they are again: Granite = N2,300 per ton plus delivery, Sharp Sand = N1,200 per tonne delivered, Cement 42,5R delivered to my site N1,550, Gate = N140,000. Labour = let's just say that I am comfortable in giving him an uncontracted 10% bonus for each successfully completed stage and treating his entire staff to lunch on a daily basis. It's how I roll grin

My Architect has a snapshot of my extremely detailed excel spreadsheet of costs and has saluted me on an outstanding cost savings. That's enough for me.

By the way my good friend, I think one of the pillar is a bit off, can the Engineer come and take a look wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 05, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Poor interlocking.. Yes they can't.. But the cost of this flooring is almost 4 times the cost of interlocking..

Bi owo ba se to, l'ogun mo..

E be as e get grin

I don't see how a well installed interlock like Spyder880 does on his projects can come in cheaper than stamped concrete.

What’s It Cost?

A stamped concrete patio costs $10-$15 per square foot, professionally installed.

Here’s a quick price comparison:
Plain concrete: $6-$12 per sq. ft.
Brick: $14-$20 per sq. ft.
Stone, slate, or marble: $17-$28 per sq. ft.
Concrete pavers: $13-$20 per sq. ft.

http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/patios/stamped-concrete-patio/

Read more: http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/patios/stamped-concrete-patio/#ixzz3niJUb7hg
Follow us: @HouseLogic on Twitter | HouseLogic on Facebook
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 05, 2015
FastShipping:

I am not sure we have artisans who can do the stamping for the interior and look great like the pictures you just displayed.

I also don't think it makes sense to do German floor immediately after the foundation and then do stamping during the flooring/finishing because of the height of the flooring. German floor will be 5-6 inches and I know concrete used for stamping will take another 5-6 inches. We are looking at 10-12 inches of floor concrete. How is that going to work?

We actually have a member on here that does as good as and if not better than that quality.

It is what it is. My architect spec'd 4" I think and stamped concert is only an inch or so in height, not 5 - 6 inches. I'm okay with 6 inches of flooring. As long as it's part of the total build wherein the door thresholds, cabinets are accounted for then there is no issue.

The process for me is to rush to "seal" the building (exterior doors, exterior windows, roof, etc) and then tackle the internal finishing with deliberate care. Finishing for me is the ultimate decision for me so I am not rushing to do anything on the inside.

Ponder this, how much will it cost to bring a Mexican Artisan from the US to Nigeria for a month during periods of low building work in the USA?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 6:05pm On Oct 05, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

We actually have a member on here that does as good as and if not better than that quality.

It is what it is. My architect spec'd 4" I think and stamped concert is only an inch or so in height, not 5 - 6 inches. I'm okay with 6 inches of flooring. As long as it's part of the total build wherein the door thresholds, cabinets are accounted for then there is no issue.

The process for me is to rush to "seal" the building (exterior doors, exterior windows, roof, etc) and then tackle the internal finishing with deliberate care. Finishing for me is the ultimate decision for me so I am not rushing to do anything on the inside.

Ponder this, how much will it cost to bring a Mexican Artisan from the US to Nigeria for a month during periods of low building work in the USA?

Stamped concrete at 1 inch thickness is not possible. How are they going to manipulate the concrete around and get the desired outcome with 1 inch-thick concrete?

At the embolden won't be cheap.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
FastShipping:

Stamped concrete at 1 inch thickness is not possible. How are they going to manipulate the concrete around and get the desired outcome with 1 inch-thick concrete?

Maybe you can reach out to the editors of that magazine.

I am comfortable with up to 6" of flooring. So 4" of poured slab and then up to 2" of flooring is okay with me on my project.

For you maybe, but for me it'll be cheap to bring a USA artisan to Nigeria and family members have done it in the past so I speak from experience.

But it's relative and it depends on what one is expecting to pay for USA style level of finish quality.

PS: In my professional life I am paid well for tackling, resolving and excelling on impossible tasks. I use that training and knowledge to empower myself in my personal life and have managed to accomplish a lot where many have thought there was no way. So I am used to people saying something is impossible and typically take it as a challenge just to prove that it's possible.

The only thing impossible is nothing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 6:53pm On Oct 05, 2015
3strike:

You can go check out this link.

https://www.nairaland.com/1508987/paving-stones-concrete-design-stamping
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 12:59am On Oct 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Maybe you can reach out to the editors of that magazine.

I am comfortable with up to 6" of flooring. So 4" of poured slab and then up to 2" of flooring is okay with me on my project.

For you maybe, but for me it'll be cheap to bring a USA artisan to Nigeria and family members have done it in the past so I speak from experience.

But it's relative and it depends on what one is expecting to pay for USA style level of finish quality.

PS: In my professional life I am paid well for tackling, resolving and excelling on impossible tasks. I use that training and knowledge to empower myself in my personal life and have managed to accomplish a lot where many have thought there was no way. So I am used to people saying something is impossible and typically take it as a challenge just to prove that it's possible.

The only thing impossible is nothing.

You seem knowledgeable about costs…… are u an engineer?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 06, 2015
Miscellaneous:

You seem knowledgeable about costs…… are u an engineer?

An Engineer yes but not a building Engineer. I just keep detailed Excel spreadsheet on my building expense.

Whenever I dabble into something that I'm not familiar with, as in this example building a house in Nigeria, I become an expert on the subject. So I have learned a lot on price of materials and labour.

As an example I was quoted N190,000 plus N25,000 delivery charge for a gate. I found the same gate for N140,000 delivered to my site.

I'm enjoying the process grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 06, 2015
Trying to calculate how many tons of sharp sand and granite as well as bags of cement needed to pour a 3,500 square feet of 4" slab (german floor).

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Druman(m): 10:16am On Oct 06, 2015
Pls. House, in-let vent in septic tank is it necessary? And why?

Most septic tank just have a manhole cover and that is all. What then is the need for in-let vent?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 11:51am On Oct 06, 2015
EgunMogaji:

An Engineer yes but not a building Engineer. I just keep detailed Excel spreadsheet on my building expense.

Whenever I dabble into something that I'm not familiar with, as in this example building a house in Nigeria, I become an expert on the subject. So I have learned a lot on price of materials and labour.

As an example I was quoted N190,000 plus N25,000 delivery charge for a gate. I found the same gate for N140,000 delivered to my site.

I'm enjoying the process grin

With all these in your arsenal you are almost becoming a building engineer……… welldone

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.