Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,745 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (379) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4374222 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 3:24am On Jul 01, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Excellent write up.

I'm adding to my bungalow because it sits on a hill and alone now until others build around it.

So my house is sitting there sticking it's tongue out at lightning grin
Thanks chief
@ bolded...ahhh allll the more reason! But I guess you already know smiley

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:52am On Jul 01, 2016
NLresidentQS:
Hello bosses

How do one install lightning arrestor on a church/mosque that has cross/crescent high up in the towers. You know the sentiment attached to those stuffs.

@hajji mufutau55 @egunmogaji @freeworld23 @abdulwastex @kolashangone @spyder880
I have seen it put together with the cross. And also at the highest peak..as for mosque I have to check today. I shall post a pic of I can get one.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
"So far, studies in Europe and the U.S. have revealed at least 158 contaminants in water that have been associated with PEX, and scientists are still trying to get a handle on where they all come from and how they might affect people."

shocked

Read more: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/lingering-questions-about-pex#ixzz4DA19zIKi
Follow us: @gbadvisor on Twitter | GreenBuildingAdvisor on Facebook
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 5:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
EgunMogaji:
"So far, studies in Europe and the U.S. have revealed at least 158 contaminants in water that have been associated with PEX, and scientists are still trying to get a handle on where they all come from and how they might affect people."

shocked

Read more: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/lingering-questions-about-pex#ixzz4DA19zIKi
Follow us: @gbadvisor on Twitter | GreenBuildingAdvisor on Facebook

Government of Lagos also worried about sock away also contaminating ground water in areas in Lagos with shallow water tables. Reason why one might have to consider deep borehole drilling in places like ibeju-lekki, lekki and environs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:10pm On Jul 01, 2016
Jeez!

I never knew this thread could become this boring!

We use to have two, three pages within a few hours in the "good old days"........ but now, we cant even have a 'single page' in 36hrs!

If it continues this way, l bet this wonderful thread, could could go into oblivion in no distant time.

I hope it does not but then, lesson learned: EVERYTHING in Life, comes with it's "[size=14pt]Pros[/size]" and "[size=14pt]Cons[/size]".

Lastpage!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 8:04pm On Jul 01, 2016
lastpage:
Jeez!

I never knew this thread could become this boring!

We use to have two, three pages within a few hours in the "good old days"........ but now, we cant even have a 'single page' in 36hrs!

If it continues this way, l bet this wonderful thread, could could go into oblivion in no distant time.

I hope it does not but then, lesson learned: EVERYTHING in Life, comes with it's "[size=14pt]Pros[/size]" and "[size=14pt]Cons[/size]".

Lastpage!

-------
Their is a time for everything !

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
I'll throw this idea out there. I've used this technology before but not in a whole house.

So why do you need to run wires to the switches? All you need are wires to the wall sockets.

http://www.luminite.co.uk/easyswitch-wireless-switching-transmitter/

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'll throw this idea out there. I've used this technology before but not in a whole house.

So why do you need to run wires to the switches? All you need are wires to the wall sockets.

http://www.luminite.co.uk/easyswitch-wireless-switching-transmitter/

nice... but maintenance is our major problem down here
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
twinskenny:

nice... but maintenance is our major problem down here

That's the beauty of this, no extra maintenance needed. In fact it's less.

I decided on and ordered SmartThings home automation system.

I'll have to find a compatible addressable wireless wall switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga86GgfLkzI
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:15am On Jul 02, 2016
Lastpage did you just say you miss us? #brabusvictims

grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:28am On Jul 02, 2016
We regret to announce another increase in price of Granite and others.
With the present increase of petroleum product(Diesel) used majorly within Quarries and Haulage services

New Price
Granite all Sizes @ N2,500/ton
Stone Dust @ N700/ton

Transportation varies by location Call

Like our Page: https://www.facebook.com/1stGranite

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:50am On Jul 02, 2016
Why do some landlords encase plumbing work in slabs (decking), block work and foundations? Is it for aesthetics? If yes; why is the need for aesthetics so great that the exigencies of such practice are overlooked? If it's a monstrosity of a building, then it's understandable but for a small family bungalow/duplex, a rental property aesthetics alone just don't make sense. What if there is a leak or blocked pipes and drains? This could be messy to remedy or might even affect the structural stability of the building. Or maybe it's just lazy architecture or mechanical design. This practice is even more baffling with rental properties. Please see pix below.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:56am On Jul 02, 2016
Repairs could be messy.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:53am On Jul 02, 2016
^^^^
Damn, for the last two pictures.
If left to me, I still prefer those external pipings covered with PVC design o hide it.
Good one Diordaves.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:34am On Jul 02, 2016
Saw this and had to explain why it is so based on pics attached.

1. Roof gutter drain. There's no way you can drain off water from a roof that is over 600sqm from a single point. So this is one of the water drain off point installed. It has a direct link to the chamber which is just about 4.5m away which means cleaning won't be an issue.

2. Atrium drain. In a house with an atrium (an uncovered part of a building), a well designed drain is required to take off the waters from the building. Atrium is usually in the middle of a house. There's no way you can do the without trenching in pipes under ground. You just have to do it right!

3 & 4. Roof gutter drains. Again, when the design requires a concealed roof where rainwater must not touch the wall or ground, you may need to do everything and anything possible to keep water away from touching your walls. When pipes are exposed, there's tendency it gets damaged during installation or me outline maintenance by a careless or jittery roof climber.

What usually causes blocked drains is a bad network of pipes. A good example is the 2nd to the last picture you showed above. The zigzag nature of the pipes will always cause a major plumbing issue.

Pipes must have free flow and a gentle slope to prevent blockages. When they do, 99.9% of blocked drains can be cleared with a drain rod.

If this is an industrial project, I'll conceal the exposed drain pipes in the roof attic/ceiling spaces (on both ground floor/first floor) for easy maintenance but this is highly impossible in residential builds with less than 4m headroom.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:37am On Jul 02, 2016
From the welders, workshop...

The trusses, the cleats and the house.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:25am On Jul 02, 2016
n3xt:
Saw this and had to explain why it is so based on pics attached.

1. Roof gutter drain. It has a direct link to the chamber which is just about 4.5m away which means cleaning won't be an issue.

2. Atrium drain. There's no way you can do the without trenching in pipes under ground. You just have to do it right!

3 & 4. Roof gutter drains. When pipes are exposed, there's tendency it gets damaged during installation or me outline maintenance by a careless or jittery roof climber.

What usually causes blocked drains is a bad network of pipes. A good example is the 2nd to the last picture you showed above. The zigzag nature of the pipes will always cause a major plumbing issue.

Pipes must have free flow and a gentle slope to prevent blockages. When they do, 99.9% of blocked drains can be cleared with a drain rod.

If this is an industrial project, I'll conceal the exposed drain pipes in the roof attic/ceiling spaces (on both ground floor/first floor) for easy maintenance but this is highly impossible in residential builds with less than 4m headroom.

diordaves:
Why do some landlords encase plumbing work in slabs (decking), block work and foundations? Is it for aesthetics? If yes; why is the need for aesthetics so great that the exigencies of such practice are overlooked? If it's a monstrosity of a building, then it's understandable but for a small family bungalow/duplex, a rental property aesthetics alone just don't make sense. What if there is a leak or blocked pipes and drains? This could be messy to remedy or might even affect the structural stability of the building. Or maybe it's just lazy architecture or mechanical design. This practice is even more baffling with rental properties. Please see pix below.

Nice explanations Brabus.

In addition, there are situations where you just cant avoid conduit plumbing.

For example, in houses where the Upper floor is cantilevered to about 2ft.
How would the waste pipes of the upper floor bathroom/Toilet, go through the Deck Slab, line-up with the wall and then link with the Waste pipe coming from the Ground floor Toilet?

If you can visualise what l am saying, if you dont cut through the Deck Slab or bury the Pipe entirely within the slab, what would happen is that you will be left with a "hanging Waste pipe" which will go through series of angulation , leading to premature blockage!

So, it goes far beyond aesthetics..... it bothers much more on necessity, efficiency and practicality.

I generally dont like "buried things" hence l always do my Electrical wiring using white PVC Structured Cabling but done in a way that it lays flat against the wall surface and when you need to "look inside", you simply use your fingers to pry open-up the PVC covers.

In addition to what Brabus have said, you can also reduce the need to "break things up" by ensuring that you use very strong plumbing pipes, the likes of Kaka, White Tigre, Henco and Technogreen...... gummed together using the best Pipe Gum.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:32am On Jul 02, 2016
3strikes:
Lastpage did you just say you miss us? #brabusvictims

grin

No, it is the "ideas and learning discussions" that l miss........ not the people and their wahala! grin grin

#TeamWayForward?

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
Maybe we can hear from long term owners of builds with internal plumbing on their trials and jubilations over the years.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 4:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
erico2k2:

I have seen it put together with the cross. And also at the highest peak..as for mosque I have to check today. I shall post a pic of I can get one.

Still waiting for the pics boss. cool cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2016
My Ogas... Please join me in educating some guys on the thread linked below... about Septic Tank and Soakaway implementation and its purpose.
Don't mind the little boys comments... nah becos the thread don reached "Front Page" ni o. Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/3200098/it-wise-run-bathing-bathroom

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
NLresidentQS:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 7:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
@egunmogaji wow.. Thanks for the pics sir!

That quote got me laughing grin grin

Nobody wan die cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
@ KolaShangOne

https://www.nairaland.com/3201797/assassins-shoot-gideon-aremu-dead

How far in Ibadan with this one now?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
@ QC1 and anyone else that may be interested.

This shows a builder that dealt with water in the foundation in the UK though but they were building with cement and block..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5QLuvqTyzU The fun starts @ 28:00
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:28pm On Jul 02, 2016
NLresidentQS:

I have not been near any church with one yet, the one I saw was too far for me to go snap a foto.Im on it sha

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:31pm On Jul 02, 2016
mufutau55:
My Ogas... Please join me in educating some guys on this thread... about Septic Tank and Soakaway implementation and its purpose.
Don't mind the little boys comments... nah becos the thread has reached "Front Page". Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/3200098/it-wise-run-bathing-bathroom

Hajji M.
Thanks My Oga for bringing this here wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 7:47pm On Jul 02, 2016
As Ramadan continues.. Our Muslim brothers and sisters here shouldn't forget to pray for AZUH , fayose , tinubu , Buhari , my hero Goodluck Ebele Jonathan , obasanjo , IBB , dangote,atiku, mike adenuga "please if you didn't hear your name . Wait for your time .

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 9:12pm On Jul 02, 2016
AZUH:
As Ramadan continues.. Our Muslim brothers and sisters here shouldn't forget to pray for AZUH , fayose , tinubu , Buhari , my hero Goodluck Ebele Jonathan , obasanjo , IBB , dangote,atiku, mike adenuga "please if you didn't hear your name . Wait for your time .
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
AZUH:

You are praying for those people who are laughing to the Bank? For God to forgive them.. or live longer to steal more or for what?

Pray for Hajji, EgunMogaji, Maverrick, Fash28, and many others with on-going projects to finish their build and occupy it with good health.

Hajji M.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m), fabulous85, aieromon(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.