Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,314 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (381) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4373036 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 03, 2016
Yes, I know that "here is not US" but I'm pretty certain that Nigeria also has building standards and codes. That it's not rigorously enforced means nothing. I built my house, as much as I could, to US standard, but will most certainly outfit it to US standard code wise.

Pic #1: New detectors have to have a minimum of 10-year battery life by law and a date of manufacture printed on the packaging. So if I walk into a Home Depot or Lowes in California then I'm assured of getting the latest and greatest.

Pic #2: Before you can even put your property for sale (residential and commercial) you have to apply for a clearance form that will show the property in compliance. No bank will loan money to buy a property without this in place. No insurance will insure the house either and no escrow company will process this account. So the property sale is dead in the water.

So we don't have omo onile and their apologists but we have other things to deal with.

Also on pic 2, this is for Hajj, water conservation is a biggie here since we're in a desert out in the west, so I'm used to looking for water saving schemes and products. And this works hand in hand with Nigeria since we might as well be living in the desert with our water issue.

Pic #3: This shows the codes on burglary bars. No guess work, it's clearly written in code. No finance, no insurance, if a tenant dies the owner of the properly is liable. Simple, basic and straightforward.

Pic #4: The meat of the matter. Written in black and white, no ambiguity for the city of Los Angeles.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 6:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
@ mavverick I am not playing with you. People do mention my name too .................................Loyalty first . Dont let frustration rule your life you ain't better than anyone (nor be you old pass )

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Lets talk about your number 2
well in my own view, one can die from CO inhaling when you are asleep, and your nose seems to by the primary point at which it gets into your system.In the Nigerian context there is no smoke without fire. We need to identify the primary source of CO within the house.I could only think of the Gen set, any suggestions?

One can die from CO2 whether awake or asleep, it's a colorless and odorless gas (I know that you know this just saying it for others that may be reading).

1) Generator sets produce CO2. While you may be cognizant of this fact and place your own generator in a location that is away from you, could that placement endanger your neighbor? I know that I'm not considering my neighbors bedrooms while designing my own house. And we have seen houses being built on here that are 6 feet from each other.

2) Cooking with firewood. I experienced this recently and it wasn't coming from the property where I was staying

3) Automotive engines. From mechanic yards. My hobby is automotive engineering aka shade tree mechanic. When breaking in engines, I may have it running for up to 30 minutes and there may be lots of smoke.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 03, 2016
AZUH:
@ mavverick I am not playing with you. People do mention my name too .................................Loyalty first . Dont let frustration rule your life you ain't better than anyone (nor be you old pass )

You're still cool and a bucketful of laughs but you were much better when you made rare appearances in here (like Norm on Seinfeld). But you're always here now and I think I know why wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 7:41pm On Jul 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're still cool and a bucketful of laughs but you were much better when you made rare appearances in here (like Norm on Seinfeld). But you're always here now and I think I know why wink

Hahaa!
Egun to badt. Don't tell me that you believed that story.

I am not sure if I believed it too.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 03, 2016
An interesting EWT.

Not sure I can trust this setup. It should theoretically work but...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
erico2k2:

I think we need to discause this issue once again about right positions of where you need to put what
My view Carbon monoxide should be put in your room where you sleep and smoke alarms outside sleeping areas teh heat sensors in areas that creates heat ie Kitchewn
You cannot put the CO alarm next to your Gen set, that will be like putting a smoke alarm in your kitchen, they will go off every day.

erico2k2 let me clarify the positioning of any carbon monoxide alarm with a sample picture from my build. The pic below is about the best I could lay hands upon giving the circumstances. Now if you look at the pic you will notice the long balcony or veranda or whatever you wish to call it. And you will also notice the windows; these are the living room windows leading to the bedrooms. You will also notice the main door entrance. This is a storey building.

What tenants will do and possibly the CAC pastor did is to run their generators on the long balcony and then close the main door and the windows against the generator noise. Closing the door and windows may not be enough as we've found out with the tragic case of the CAC Pastor. Now since the generator is right outside on the balcony behind the living room window and main door, you need to stick the carbon monoxide alarm somewhere between the door and the window INSIDE the living room [parlour] not on the balcony o. So if there is a breach of fumes from the generator in the balcony into the parlour the alarm goes off. If the alarm keeps going off like you posit, then the family is not safe. Change position of generator not alarm.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:12pm On Jul 03, 2016
lastpage:

Well-said! God bless you for emphasising this issue

if we can spend millions to buy vehicles, build houses, do parties, fly around the world...... something as dangerous and yet very basic (to prevent) like fire and gas poisoning, should be on our top-three list!

The news you posted jolted me so much that l am thinking.......maybe buying a few of these stuffs and DONATING it to folks (who wont buy, who cant afford them or just dont know how to get them) might be an act of kindness?

Everyone, Buy one today and give it out (to Neighbours, strangers and family members).... you may have ended up saving a whole family!
Such acts to me, stand more "approved by the almighty"......... than spraying wads of Naira at parties!

Lastpage!

Nice one but we should all as a course of action install fire carbon monoxide alarms in our builds and projects either private or rental and educate the tenants of the use. It's life saving.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:
An interesting EWT.

Not sure I can trust this setup. It should theoretically work but...

Don't try this at home!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 03, 2016
diordaves:

Don't try this at home!

Not for me for sure. The prayer I have is that whomever buys the next plots to me isn't a knucklehead.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 4:38am On Jul 04, 2016
Here is an hilarious clip of omoniles being disciplined by soldiers.
Assorted punishments. grin
https://www.nairaland.com/3204092/see-what-soldiers-did-these#47180102

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 04, 2016
I found the following info on smoke detectors from the Nigerian National Building Code, the original link was provided by Brabus a while back.

"5.3.7.3 Smoke detection systems: At least one approved smoke detector suitable for the intended use shall be installed:
a. In every mechanical equipment, electrical, transformer, telephone equipment, elevator machine or similar room.
b. In the main return and exhaust air plenum of each air-conditioning system and located in a serviceable area downstream of the last duct inlet.
c. At each connection to a vertical duct or riser serving two or more stories from a return-air duct or plenum of an air-conditioning system. In Group H, Division 1 Occupancies, an approved smoke detector may be used in each return-air-riser carrying not more than 2.40m3 and serving not more than 10 air inlet openings.
The actuation of any detector required by this section shall operate the voice alarm system and shall place into operation all equipment necessary to prevent the recirculation of smoke."

http://villageheadmaster.com/Asante/National%20Building%20Code%20of%20Nigeria%202006.pdf

Doesn't really apply to residential units but I'm still searching.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 04, 2016
More...this almost word for word came from the Los Angeles building code. So maybe here is there after all grin

From the Nigeria Building Code

"7.1.14.2.1 Exits and emergency escapes: Stairs, exits and smoke proof enclosures shall be as specified in Chapter 10.
Every sleeping room below the fourth storey shall have at least openable window or exterior door approved for emergency escape or rescue. The units shall be openable from the inside to provide a full clear opening without the use of separate tools.
All escape or rescue windows from sleeping rooms shall have a minimum net clear opening of 0.5m2. The minimum net clear opening height shall be 600mm. The minimum net clear opening width shall be 510mm. Where windows are provided as a means of escape or rescue they shall have a finished sill height not more than 1100mm above the floor.
Bars, grills, grates or similar devices may be installed on an emergency escape or rescue windows or doors, provided:
Such devices are equipped with approved release mechanisms which are openable from the inside without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort, and
The building is equipped with smoke detectors installed in accordance with Section 12.1.19
."

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micbjrex(m): 6:00am On Jul 04, 2016
Hi all,
I just did german floor (21.425m x 10.400m) for my house. Now I want to to do the flooring/german floor 4-6 inches for the compound (9.600m x 4.600m)
How much do you think I will spend for materials and labor? What about labor for fixing PVC ceiling a twin 3 bedroom flats (6 rooms in total) (21.425m x10.400m) and includes porches, passages, dinning, living rooms and passages, kitchens, toilets etc all in Ibadan?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:24am On Jul 04, 2016
I saw this today on my way to work and thought I have to share it.it was so funny So for all junk people in your life call this guy's plz grin grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:28am On Jul 04, 2016
diordaves:

erico2k2 let me clarify the positioning of any carbon monoxide alarm with a sample picture from my build. The pic below is about the best I could lay hands upon giving the circumstances. Now if you look at the pic you will notice the long balcony or veranda or whatever you wish to call it. And you will also notice the windows; these are the living room windows leading to the bedrooms. You will also notice the main door entrance. This is a storey building.

What tenants will do and possibly the CAC pastor did is to run their generators on the long balcony and then close the main door and the windows against the generator noise. Closing the door and windows may not be enough as we've found out with the tragic case of the CAC Pastor. Now since the generator is right outside on the balcony behind the living room window and main door, you need to stick the carbon monoxide alarm somewhere between the door and the window INSIDE the living room [parlour] not on the balcony o. So if there is a breach of fumes from the generator in the balcony into the parlour the alarm goes off. If the alarm keeps going off like you posit, then the family is not safe. Change position of generator not alarm.

Good stuff,I get you now, we are on same page. However I should think we should also place it in a way where we can hear the alarm going off.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

What part of Ibadan is this?

Adegbayi area off New Ife road.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 12:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
msogunro:

I've been told to clear my land (dimension above) will be around 175K. Its virgin land so there are trees, bushes, and boulders.

Anyone willing to beat that estimate? The land is in Iyana-Abagla, Ibadan.

Cal me at 08075916079
i can do it for 165k ,contact me 08060506857

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 12:32pm On Jul 04, 2016
micbjrex:
Hi all,
I just did german floor (21.425m x 10.400m) for my house. Now I want to to do the flooring/german floor for the compound (9.600m x 4.600m)
How much do you think I will spend for materials and labor? What about labor for fixing PVC ceiling a twin 3 bedroom flats (6 rooms in total) all in Ibadan?

That's a couple meters off my diminsions. How much was the german flooring for your house, if you don't mind sharing?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 12:33pm On Jul 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

One can die from CO2 whether awake or asleep, it's a colorless and odorless gas (I know that you know this just saying it for others that may be reading).

1) Generator sets produce CO2. While you may be cognizant of this fact and place your own generator in a location that is away from you, could that placement endanger your neighbor? I know that I'm not considering my neighbors bedrooms while designing my own house. And we have seen houses being built on here that are 6 feet from each other.

2) Cooking with firewood. I experienced this recently and it wasn't coming from the property where I was staying

3) Automotive engines. From mechanic yards. My hobby is automotive engineering aka shade tree mechanic. When breaking in engines, I may have it running for up to 30 minutes and there may be lots of smoke.
baba na CO de kill o no be CO2

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2016
erico2k2:
I saw this today on my way to work and thought I have to share it.it was so funny So for all junk people in your life call this guy's plz grin grin

LOL! Very funny. How is the guy gonna clear those people? Eliminate them or Vodoo them out?. He at least deserve a call for more info. Funny.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 12:45pm On Jul 04, 2016
micbjrex:
Hi all,
I just did german floor (21.425m x 10.400m) for my house. Now I want to to do the flooring/german floor for the compound (9.600m x 4.600m)
How much do you think I will spend for materials and labor? What about labor for fixing PVC ceiling a twin 3 bedroom flats (6 rooms in total) all in Ibadan?
what will the thickness be ,does the pvc fixing includes the corridors and sitting rooms
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2016
mufutau55:

LOL! Very funny. How is the guy gonna clear those people? Eliminate them or Vodoo them out?. He at least deserve a call for more info. Funny.

Hajji M.
Aha Oga mi .,I dnt kno Ooh?;maybe delete them aha it's just so funny
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nelsonB: 1:52pm On Jul 04, 2016
pls advice, how many block is needed after the lintel of a house before decking if I am to put POP in the house excluding the beam.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:55pm On Jul 04, 2016
erico2k2:

Aha Oga mi .,I dnt kno Ooh?;maybe delete them aha it's just so funny

Eraser guy for real. LOL!

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:59pm On Jul 04, 2016
nelsonB:
pls advice, how many block is needed after the lintel of a house before decking if I am to put POP in the house excluding the beam.

If its going to have decking.. I will recommend two more courses and the decking beam will add one more course before/with the decking slab.

But if it is a bungalow then I will recommend three more courses because of the POP. My Ogas may dispute this though. Just personal experience from my builds.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 2:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
nelsonB:
2 course of blocks and the beam will be ok, for a high headroom
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nelsonB: 3:51pm On Jul 04, 2016
mufutau55:

If its going to have decking.. I will recommend two more courses and the decking beam will add one more course before/with the decking slab.

But if it is a bungalow then I will recommend three more courses because of the POP. My Ogas may dispute this though. Just personal experience from my builds.

Thanks for the swift response and yes it going to have a deck. My engineer was telling me 3 including beam making 4 I wasn't comfortable with it thats why I had to ask here. Thanks a lot

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nelsonB: 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Thanks for the swift response and yes it going to have a deck. My engineer was telling me 3 including beam making 4 I wasn't comfortable with it thats why I had to ask here. Thanks a lot

Hajji M.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 04, 2016
I've been watching a marathon of Grand Designs on YouTube.

This episode shows lightning rod install on an old church that was converted to a house. (Reclaiming old churches, fire stations, nuclear missile sites, sawmills, etc into residences is my top most bucket list item).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XorJ3Q4rBQ?list=PLANo_TNx1Tu4g6SVRrCTh5OV5ZMBmCGya

13:25 is the part.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micbjrex(m): 5:53pm On Jul 04, 2016
Hi all,
I just did german floor (21.425m x 10.400m) for my house. Now I want to to do the flooring/german floor 4-6 inches for the compound (9.600m x 4.600m)
How much do you think I will spend for materials and labor? What about labor for fixing PVC ceiling a twin 3 bedroom flats (6 rooms in total) (21.425m x10.400m) and includes porches, passages, dinning, living rooms and passages, kitchens, toilets etc all in Ibadan?

(1) (2) (3) ... (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: folmus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.