Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,168 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (380) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4372654 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
@4nobody4every1 learn how to respect big men .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
@4nobody4every1 what is this ?you should learn how to respect elders ' Biko . I did when I was growing up

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
@EgunMogaji
Was that last picture with the cross burning and falling off real with actual event or just photoshopped?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
@mufutau55 . Mavverick is coming with more facts to sue bosun ' no need to pray for him . I don't support bad thing . Sorry I can't pray egunmojagi ? His name look like a shrine in my villiage I don't want trouble . sure I will pray for Hajji , fash28 .

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 10:45pm On Jul 02, 2016
mufutau55:

You are praying for those people who are laughing to the Bank? For God to forgive them.. or live longer to steal more or for what?

Pray for Hajji, EgunMogaji, Maverrick, Fash28, and many others with on-going projects to finish their build and occupy it with good health.

Hajji M.
Amen!
And to us that are yet to start ours, God should give us the the grace to start and finish it IJN

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 10:47pm On Jul 02, 2016
AZUH:
@mufutau55 . Mavverick is coming with more facts to sue bosun ' no need to pray for him . I don't support bad thing . Sorry I can't pray egunmojagi ? His name look like a shrine in my villiage I don't want trouble . sure I will pray for Hajji , fash28 .
WDF!! ! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 02, 2016
mufutau55:
@EgunMogaji
Was that last picture with the cross burning and falling off real with actual event or just photoshopped?

Hajji M.

I believe it to be real Sir.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kUbwDwO

Another picture of another church.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 02, 2016
AZUH:

Una no go kill pessin with laugh cheesy

But with that your chiken pilar, I pray for you that you get it sorted out IJN cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 3:26am On Jul 03, 2016
To all the pros in the house....embedded bulgrary proof in the window frame or stand alone buglary....which is better? I am still yet to hear a genuine decision other than convinience and aesthetics.

Does anyone here know much about Nigalex fortified-shatterproof windows? I just want to know if one can eliminate the use of buglary proof with this type of windows

Babalose
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 4:16am On Jul 03, 2016
lastpage:

No, it is the "ideas and learning discussions" that l miss........ not the people and their wahala! grin grin

#TeamWayForward?

Lastpage!

grin I get it baba.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 5:47am On Jul 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Una no go kill pessin with laugh cheesy

But with that your chiken pilar, I pray for you that you get it sorted out IJN cheesy
AZUH:
@4nobody4every1 what is this ?you should learn how to respect elders ' Biko . I did when I was growing up
AZUH:
@4nobody4every1 learn how to respect big men .
He has fixed his chicken pillars, he just started another 40 bed room Mansion at Abuja, he sent me the drawings, the building is worth 5 million Dollars, he is an elder, lets respect him, he is 87 years old, an elder & a big man grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 6:09am On Jul 03, 2016
I got sucked into the conduit this and that. I have since stopped the practice.

diordaves:
Repairs could be messy.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:12am On Jul 03, 2016
A friend posted this Omo-Onile "exercise" and l felt l should share it..... for those peeps who dont like omo-onile. undecided undecided

grin grin grin grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 10:23am On Jul 03, 2016
msogunro:
Good morning house. Reply needed urgently.

I want to do a cost comparison with what I am receiving on ground.

What is the approximate cost to fence a land measuring 30 X 30 X 31 X 36 meters?

Just a rough estimate is good thank you!!!

I've been told to clear my land (dimension above) will be around 175K. Its virgin land so there are trees, bushes, and boulders.

Anyone willing to beat that estimate? The land is in Iyana-Abagla, Ibadan.

Cal me at 08075916079
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 12:12pm On Jul 03, 2016
Good people of this thread, kindly advise on doors/frames. What the best practices pertaining to purchase and installation? What type of doors is good for what? Price estimates? Available types? Recommendations and "referrals" will be appreciated.

In short I need "lecture" on doors for a project on tight budget.

Thank you as usual.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:20pm On Jul 03, 2016
ANBAKO:
Good people of this thread, kindly advise on doors/frames. What the best practices pertaining to purchase and installation? What type of doors is good for what? Price estimates? Available types? Recommendations and "referrals" will be appreciated.

In short I need "lecture" on doors for a project on tight budget.

Thank you as usual.
well I think this has to do with where your build is and how secure the immediate environs is.
Beside it would be a very good idea to show fotos of where these doors might be
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:21pm On Jul 03, 2016
msogunro:

I've been told to clear my land (dimension above) will be around 175K. Its virgin land so there are trees, bushes, and boulders.

Cal me at 08075916079
U forgot to mention Bush Meat grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:22pm On Jul 03, 2016
gabbytabby:
I got sucked into the conduit this and that. I have since stopped the practice.

Im with you on this one. wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/3202583/generator-fume-kills-cac-pastor

We discussed this recently.

If you're in Nigeria and you don't have a smoke detector at the entrance to each bedroom and at least one co2 detector then you ought to have a rethink.

It doesn't have to be a modern network one that I fully reccomend, it can be a cheapie but from a well known company.

Remember you can only control where you place a potential source of fire but you can't control your neighbors.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 03, 2016
msogunro:

Cal me at 08075916079

What part of Ibadan is this?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:44pm On Jul 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:

We discussed this recently.

If you're in Nigeria and you don't have a smoke detector at the entrance to each bedroom and at least one co2 detector then you ought to have a rethink.

It doesn't have to be a modern network one that I fully reccomend, it can be a cheapie but from a well known company.

Remember you can only control where you place a potential source of fire but you can't control your neighbors.
yeh true,nut I guess these people still put gen in corridors and leave them running then go to sleep, so that means the compound is not secured.I hope this serves asa deterrent to others, dont leave your gen running on corridors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:00pm On Jul 03, 2016
mavverick:
Just to chip in on this.
Carbon monixide detector is mainly useful when used indoors, generator etc produce a lot of carbon monoxide, thats the reason why if you read on the label/manual, they will say "SHOULD ONLY BE USED OUTDOORS AND NOT INDOORS"

If used in a place not well ventilated or indoors, it could lead to death.
As long as your generator location is well ventilated and placed outside, I dont see a problem and I dont think you need a detector either, otherwise it will probably be coming on every now on then. In western countries, its only advisable near a gas boiler, so that if there is a problem with the combustion, and the carbon monoxide is not going out through the flue, then the alarm will come on. I have never heard of it being used near a fridge, unless the fridge burns fuels to operate i.e open fires or petrol, gas etc.

[/b]Generator Fume Kills CAC Pastor in Warri After Fire Kills his Family[b]

[/quote] In what people called a bizarre spiritual attack, a Pastor Of a Christ Apostolic Church in Warri has died several months after losing his entire family to a mission house fire.

51-year-old Pastor John Kayode died after inhaling generator fumes at his home in Warri last week.

The deceased who was transferred to Love District in Ughello South LGA of Delta State about two weeks ago died in his home on the 26th of June 2016 after he placed the generator in the corridor of his residence and slept off.

Residents of Agbarho were shocked when the news of his death went viral.

Reacting to the sad incident, Pastor Emmanuel Orode, the Chairman of the Coordinating Council of CAC, Warri District said the mysterious incident is a bad omen.

“This is beyond human comprehension that Pas­tor John Kayode, who lost his entire family of five while attending a general meeting of pastors at Ikeji Arakeji in Osun State, September 2014 has also died almost in the same circumstance,” Pastor Orode said in tears.

The deceased cleric lost his entire family (a wife and 4 children) to a mysterious fire incident on the 25th of September 2014 while he was attending a pastors meeting in Ikeji Arakeji.

May his soul rest in peace (amen).
https://www.nairaland.com/3202583/generator-fume-kills-cac-pastor [/quote]

The above very sad and unfortunate news feed from Nairaland buttresses my view sadly that you need to install a fire/smoke alarm and position it nearest the home GenSet in the corridor, passage, balcony or wherever the place your Genset is. In Nigeria, Gensets are clear and present danger to house fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. Please folks get a genuine fire/smoke and carbon monoxide alarm and stick it in a position to monitor carbon monoxide breach from your generator into the living room or area. They are really cheap and will last for ten years before changing the battery. See pix below :

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
Guess some are just so deluded.
Why can't you just enjoy your weekend without showing signs of mental issues.

AZUH:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:30pm On Jul 03, 2016
diordaves:

[/b]Generator Fume Kills CAC Pastor in Warri After Fire Kills his Family[b]

In what people called a bizarre spiritual attack, a Pastor Of a Christ Apostolic Church in Warri has died several months after losing his entire family to a mission house fire.

51-year-old Pastor John Kayode died after inhaling generator fumes at his home in Warri last week.

The deceased who was transferred to Love District in Ughello South LGA of Delta State about two weeks ago died in his home on the 26th of June 2016 after he placed the generator in the corridor of his residence and slept off.

Residents of Agbarho were shocked when the news of his death went viral.

Reacting to the sad incident, Pastor Emmanuel Orode, the Chairman of the Coordinating Council of CAC, Warri District said the mysterious incident is a bad omen.

“This is beyond human comprehension that Pas­tor John Kayode, who lost his entire family of five while attending a general meeting of pastors at Ikeji Arakeji in Osun State, September 2014 has also died almost in the same circumstance,” Pastor Orode said in tears.

The deceased cleric lost his entire family (a wife and 4 children) to a mysterious fire incident on the 25th of September 2014 while he was attending a pastors meeting in Ikeji Arakeji.

May his soul rest in peace (amen).

The above very sad and unfortunate news feed from Nairaland buttresses my view sadly that you need to install a fire/smoke alarm and position it nearest the home GenSet in the corridor, passage, balcony or wherever the place your Genset is. In Nigeria, Gensets are clear and present danger to house fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. Please folks get a genuine fire/smoke and carbon monoxide alarm and stick it in a position to monitor carbon monoxide breach from your generator into the living room or area. They are really cheap and will last for ten years before changing the battery. See pix below :
I think we need to discause this issue once again about right positions of where you need to put what
My view Carbon monoxide should be put in your room where you sleep and smoke alarms outside sleeping areas teh heat sensors in areas that creates heat ie Kitchewn
You cannot put the CO alarm next to your Gen set, that will be like putting a smoke alarm in your kitchen, they will go off every day.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
erico2k2:

I think we need to discause this issue once again about right positions of where you need to put what
My view Carbon monoxide should be put in your room where you sleep and smoke alarms outside sleeping areas teh heat sensors in areas that creates heat ie Kitchewn
You cannot put the CO alarm next to your Gen set, that will be like putting a smoke alarm in your kitchen, they will go off every day.

1) Smoke detectors goes into the entrance of each sleeping area. Not necessarily a bedroom only. If guests occasionally camps out on the sofa in your living room then that location gets one too.

2) CO2 detectors goes into a central area and the number of units is dependent on the area of coverage.

These came from the Fire Chief of a city I lived in. He was a neighbor.

With the modern technology from Nest and other companies, there are combination devices now which has both smoke and CO2 detection in them. There are other non intelligent ones too that are cheaper.

I'll be using the Nest technology in my build in Nigeria for two reasons.

1) I can't control my neighbors or where they choose to place a mobile generator. What I can control is monitoring if there's danger to me and my guest.

2) I have two separate buildings. Since the Nest detectors will be networked then I'll know if there's an issue in any of the unit wherever I am.

The insanity to me is the Pastor that lost his whole family when it is totally avoidable.

There are building codes that governs these things and we don't have to guess.

The information is out there and we just need to harness it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 5:27pm On Jul 03, 2016
diordaves:

Well-said! God bless you for emphasising this issue

if we can spend millions to buy vehicles, build houses, do parties, fly around the world...... something as dangerous and yet very basic (to prevent) like fire and gas poisoning, should be on our top-three list!

The news you posted jolted me so much that l am thinking.......maybe buying a few of these stuffs and DONATING it to folks (who wont buy, who cant afford them or just dont know how to get them) might be an act of kindness?

Everyone, Buy one today and give it out (to Neighbours, strangers and family members).... you may have ended up saving a whole family!
Such acts to me, stand more "approved by the almighty"......... than spraying wads of Naira at parties!

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Happykay: 5:37pm On Jul 03, 2016
I'm definitely not dismissing the need for Co alarm
But I think it's more pertinent for ppl to keep the Gen set away from living area

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:46pm On Jul 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:

1) Smoke detectors goes into the entrance of each sleeping area. Not necessarily a bedroom only. If guests occasionally camps out on the sofa in your living room then that location gets one too.

2) CO2 detectors goes into a central area and the number of units is dependent on the area of coverage.

These came from the Fire Chief of a city I lived in. He was a neighbor.

With the modern technology from Nest and other companies, there are combination devices now which has both smoke and CO2 detection in them. There are other non intelligent ones too that are cheaper.

I'll be using the Nest technology in my build in Nigeria for two reasons.

1) I can't control my neighbors or where they choose to place a mobile generator. What I can control is monitoring if there's danger to me and my guest.

2) I have two separate buildings. Since the Nest detectors will be networked then I'll know if there's an issue in any of the unit wherever I am.

The insanity to me is the Pastor that lost his whole family when it is totally avoidable.

There are building codes that governs these things and we don't have to guess.

The information is out there and we just need to harness it.
Lets talk about your number 2
well in my own view, one can die from CO inhaling when you are asleep, and your nose seems to by the primary point at which it gets into your system.In the Nigerian context there is no smoke without fire. We need to identify the primary source of CO within the house.I could only think of the Gen set, any suggestions?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:47pm On Jul 03, 2016
Happykay:
I'm definitely not dismissing the need for Co alarm
But I think it's more pertinent for ppl to keep the Gen set away from living area
Yep very far and in an area properly ventilated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 5:48pm On Jul 03, 2016
@mavverick that is harsh bro ' I was only joking with you .person nor dey follow you play abi ?i don't have any mental issue and I won't like you to insult me . Live your life bro . I wish you da best

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 5:54pm On Jul 03, 2016
Thank you.
already mentioned before.
as for smoke alarm, it's usually in like a passage or by a stairs landing if going upstairs.

I wouldn't put smoke alarm in the kitchen, what I would put is a heat detector which is mains connected and battery backup. This is what is done in western countries, anyone have any experience of heat detector in Nigeria? Especially with the 40 degrees sun we can get around March.

Carbon monoxide, as long as gen isn't in a covered area or an unventilated area, one should be fine. Also no gen on decking.

erico2k2:

Yep very far and in an area properly ventilated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 5:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
No hard feelings.
Just play with someone else. Plenty people full here.

AZUH:
@mavverick that is harsh bro ' I was only joking with you .person nor dey follow you play abi ?i don't have any mental issue and I won't like you to insult me . Live your life bro . I wish you da best

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jeffkennedy and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.