Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (534) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4397046 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TouchstoneNgr: 5:14pm On Oct 22, 2016
Kitchen cabinet in lemon acyrilc laminate. #TouchstoneNg
Appliances: 90cm hub, 30cm deep fryer, 90cm hood, washing machine, microwave, 90cm built in oven.
Accessories: soft closing hinges, soft closing undermounted slides, pantry unit, magic corner.
Material: Hdf carcass and acyrilc laminate.
Counter top: 20mm black galaxy granite

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AkProsper(m): 10:38pm On Oct 22, 2016
twinskenny:
where is ur location
I stay in Lagos. (agege)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:30pm On Oct 22, 2016
TouchstoneNgr:
Kitchen cabinet in lemon acyrilc laminate. #TouchstoneNg
Appliances: 90cm hub, 30cm deep fryer, 90cm hood, washing machine, microwave, 90cm built in oven.
Accessories: soft closing hinges, soft closing undermounted slides, pantry unit, magic corner.
Material: Hdf carcass and acyrilc laminate.
Counter top: 20mm black galaxy granite
so what is markets average cost if you're to make one of the size and quality today?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TouchstoneNgr: 1:50pm On Oct 23, 2016
kopell:
so what is markets average cost if you're to make one of the size and quality today?

This kitchen is 9meters the cost is 950,000 aside appliances.
This includes the base unit, wall unit, granite top, and all accessories (magic corner, pantry unit et al)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 11:12pm On Oct 23, 2016
Spy360:
Please house, I want to build a simple one bedroom flat. Can my N1m do it including fence? Plot is 3/4 in Owerri.

impossible, even before the recession
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 11:29pm On Oct 23, 2016
Hello House, A Client insisting this house be done Turnkey with 15m, My Ogas in the house, is it possible in this time of recession?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:26am On Oct 24, 2016
Arnoldfish:
Hello House, A Client insisting this house be done Turnkey with 15m, My Ogas in the house, is it possible in this time of recession?

With mud, sand, water and bamboo roof yes.

With blocks, cement, iron rods and Gerald roof I say 40-45 million naira complete with average finishing.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 2:46am On Oct 24, 2016
FastShipping:

With blocks, cement, iron rods and Gerald roof I say 40-45 million naira complete with average finishing.

LOOOOLLL @ the bolded above!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:07am On Oct 24, 2016
Arnoldfish:

Beautiful house but I doubt N15m will do any justice to this house o; especially in this recent time with the rise in materials.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:46am On Oct 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Electrical cable prices has double what it used to be... That amount can't finish the building

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:31am On Oct 24, 2016
Arnoldfish:
15m can't even do the finishing

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AkProsper(m): 7:41am On Oct 24, 2016
twinskenny:
where is ur location
Agege Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:42am On Oct 24, 2016
FastShipping:

My Oga how I wish most clients can be as realistic as you are.

ANytime i tell someone finishing your house will cost 40m - 45m They respond as if I do not know what i am saying. I dont know if they want me to tell them 25m and yet comfortably pay not wandering how it will get done. They come up with the story of building been sold at 45m Plus land in places.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:48am On Oct 24, 2016
Very true observation. Hot pots, soaked with water, butchering blocks, knife marks, deep scratches. Name it all. This is what can happen with a tenanted property when the tenants dont send you.

Anyone actually thought of tiles ?

marylandcakes:

That was one of the reasons I used granite, cos it was for a tenant and I thought they don't really care about your worktop, so something hard wearing like granite will be the best. My brother used laminate top for his tenanted flat, at the end of the tenancy, it was all burnt out because the tenant put hot pots, and knife marks, it looked so horrible, he had to redo the whole kitchen again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:52am On Oct 24, 2016
Must admit, I was always told that finishing will cost almost as much as the carcass. This is the time when you wished your build was smaller grin. Talking from experience, you can spend 15M and you will ask yourself, where has the money gone to, and yet there are still things to do. Its very mind bugging, my own take is to know what things are important to you and what things are less important/you can compromise a little on. In Nigeria, everything get grade, and every grade get price. Even palmwine self, as I found out grin.

skimanski:

ANytime i tell someone finishing your house will cost 40m - 45m They respond as if I do not know what i am saying. I dont know if they want me to tell them 25m and yet comfortably pay not wandering how it will get done. They come up with the story of building been sold at 45m Plus land in places.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 9:58am On Oct 24, 2016
skimanski:

Don't mind them. Did you know that I have spent more than $13,000 buying material for the finishing of my house and yet still need to spend more on materials. Convert that into naira and see. Yet I'm still trying to manage another 11 Million naira to complete the finishing. $13,000 + 11 Million naira no be beans. Finishing of that duplex won't be less than 18M on average and more for high end finishing.

I don't know what the person was thinking to think 15M is enough to finish that house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:11am On Oct 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Don't mind them. Did you know that I have spent more than $13,000 buying material for the finishing of my house and yet still need to spend more on materials. Convert that into naira and see. Yet I'm still trying to manage another 11 Million naira to complete the finishing. $13,000 + 11 Million naira no be beans. Finishing of that duplex won't be less than 18M on average and more for high end finishing.

I don't know what the person was thinking to think 15M is enough to finish that house.

there was a client at chevy estate he spend 14.5m on carcas duplex, but end up spending 21.5m on finishing....now he is the one handling most of the purchases oooo. he said if they tell him from the onset that he will spend more than 15m on finishing he will be angry.. now he understand better
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:59am On Oct 24, 2016
superbouck:
I bought cement #1800 today. I dont know about ATC.
me I dont sell cement. I only report what I buy.abi u dont want d price to come down ni

Where you buy am?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 11:06am On Oct 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Very true.....some prospective clients think that building construction is cheap simply because they see buildings springing up everywhere.

Some people also believe that making use of builders/consultants through Nairaland will automatically make a building far cheaper (speaking from experience). This I believe is as a result of the numerous threads that have featured on Nairaland where people claim that they built a duplex for N8-9m, N15m or a 3-bedroom bungalow for N3m, which in the final analysis is so so misleading considering the fact that no 2 buildings in different locations are the same & so many factors can make construction costs vary so widely.

I pray they learn and understand the true facts about construction costs.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UrennaNkoli(f): 11:16am On Oct 24, 2016
@ skimanski so adding finishing touches to your house can cost a lot more ?
Depends on your taste and what you want sha.
Where someone will struggle to get a sofa set for 200k, others are getting luxurious ones for 3M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:37am On Oct 24, 2016
UrennaNkoli:
@ skimanski so adding finishing touches to your house can cost a lot more ?
Depends on your taste and what you want sha.
Where someone will struggle to get a sofa set for 200k, others are getting luxurious ones for 3M.

well said... some people will purchase TV what 1.6m.. not to talk of Gen set and other stuff
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:50am On Oct 24, 2016
Arnoldfish:
7months ago is possible in Ogun state, Abeokuta precisely.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by wanaj0: 12:44pm On Oct 24, 2016
Chekitaut:

How much was the carcass? How much was the finishing?

N15m? Mba!!!!!

Wardrobes
Kitchen cabinet?
Tiles?
Doors?
Windows?
Burglary?
Sanitary wares?
Stone works?
Painting?
Railings?
Interlocking/Landscaping?
Electrical fittings?

Lesson is when designing the house, have the finishing in mind. If you are on budget, ask yourself must I have POP? Must wall tiles reach the roof? Must I have that many sockets in the rooms? Must the windows be that big?

The quality and cost of the fittings also matter! Hansgrohe shower mixer will set you back by almost 70k for one for example.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 24, 2016
I am considering adding some storeys to my large bungalow in village.

Concerns are that :

It is about 60 years old

There are on the stairs to the entrance on one or more sides of the property, whichmya be caused by large roots of very big trees near the house

Property has been derelict and old rusted bam bam has been leaking water for years , would this effect the srength of supporting walls?

Advice please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2016
GenBuhari:
I am considering adding some storeys to my large bungalow in village.

Concerns are that :

It is about 60 years old

There are on the stairs to the entrance on one or more sides of the property, whichmya be caused by large roots of very big trees near the house

Property has been derelict and old rusted bam bam has been leaking water for years , would this effect the srength of supporting walls?

Advice please

It will surely affect the supporting walls
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:37pm On Oct 24, 2016
Chekitaut:

It is not even possible three years ago anywhere in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 24, 2016
what advise do you have about how I can go about adding a level or two. The bungalow has 7 rooms no plumbing.
abdulwastecx:

It will surely affect the supporting walls
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2016
Arnoldfish:
. (1)Is the #15M just putting into place the carcass structure or it includes complete finishing? (2) Which state are you going to put up that structure? (3) What is the nature of the land?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2016
wanaj0:

How much was the carcass? How much was the finishing?

N15m? Mba!!!!!

Wardrobes
Kitchen cabinet?
Tiles?
Doors?
Windows?
Burglary?
Sanitary wares?
Stone works?
Painting?
Railings?
Interlocking/Landscaping?
Electrical fittings?

Lesson is when designing the house, have the finishing in mind. If you are on budget, ask yourself must I have POP? Must wall tiles reach the roof? Must I have that many sockets in the rooms? Must the windows be that big?

The quality and cost of the fittings also matter! Hansgrohe shower mixer will set you back by almost 70k for one for example.
all can be improvise... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:55pm On Oct 24, 2016
GenBuhari:
what advise do you have about how I can go about adding a level or two. The bungalow has 7 rooms no plumbing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:01pm On Oct 24, 2016
abdulwastecx:

It is not even possible three years ago anywhere in Nigeria.

Where you don reach Bros? is visible in Ogun...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2016
GenBuhari:

Floor addition is a serious structural work, I will advice you do the following.

1. Test the soil the building is sitting on to know the engineering properties of the soil like bearing capacity and settlement rate.

2. Get a service of a builder /structural engineer/architect to check the structural integrity of the existing building.

3. From the information you provided above, you will need the building to be structurally redesign to cater for additional floors. This design will include the additions of new columns, beam and slabs. The design will also include the new floor architectural design.

(1) (2) (3) ... (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ArcToyin(m), Mup4life, diordaves(m), michlins(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.