Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,146 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (562) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4394595 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:59pm On Dec 09, 2016
Qc1:
[b]I would like to believe that most of us here reside in USA/Canada/UK/Europe. While others are either those that come here to do business with us by enlighten us on how/where/what/when on most subjects relating to properties/materials/contractions. Yet, there are others that come here to learn something new through posts of exchanging ideas between the two groups and more importantly they do contributes too because they live in naija and they know the current price of building materials too. By doing this, we all appreciate each other and it’s a win-win thread for all of us.

To my diaspora brothers and sisters, I know how much time and energy it takes to go out there and get the “9 to 5” thing out of 24/7, especially this time of the year when it’s freezing like Antarctica. No doubt the hustle is real, painful and long thus, nobody wants to their “papers” down the drain. I get that!

What I don’t get though, is why we made this forum our second home, after a long painful day at work, only to come here to misbehaves. Y’all c’mon menh! …don’t be telling me y’all ain’t gotta berra thang to do? We’ve fished out the maggots on here already, moreover, by now we all know who is who? Thirdly, I’m sure we will not hesitate to stop future fraud on here before it even commenced. We really should clap for ourselves and move on! Why? The fraudster amongst us is apprehended and now facing the music. Why can’t we just go back to do what we used enjoy? The same thing that brought all of us here! We represent the civilized amongst us buy yet acting uncivilized! Let’s sheath our swords already and move on! Trust me, I should know. I’ve lost a lot by conducting a business with someone I met here. But to God be the Glory, moving on have pushed me to higher level in life.

Let’s stop this behavior already. We are men. If I want to read about boys dissing one another, I will go to the front page. Most of us here are grown-ups, more importantly; the leaners come here to learn. Let’s keep it that way.
To my engineers/builders here, you need to do more by quickly identify the bad eggs here before a business is transacted. If things continue to go like this trust me, it will affect your family directly or indirectly because even though we hustle abroad, yours begins here. You don’t sh!t in where you eat! Now please, don’t get me wrong, we know the good ones among you, but you need to do more to protect your business here. Please protect our investments too. We thank you for your enlightenments on building talks.
To others, we are sorry! We will stop these bad behaviors ASAP and get back to why we are here again.
Let’s move on![/b]
Thank you, as we can see most time age is not wisdom. I believe these guy was one of the one that get hit badly, he as since move on. Many of us may have learn 1 or 2 things from his experience of giving bad people second chance though. Pls don't get wrong on second chances, one just have to be very sure if that person really deserves that opportunity.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:15pm On Dec 09, 2016
So am installing cctv on this building in ibadan.. And was told by the old man who happens to be the architect that hollow block was used as decking.. Surprisingly it was so... How did they achieve that?

Meanwhile the house was built in 1978 or there about still standing strong

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 3:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
kopell:
Thank you, as we can see most time age is not wisdom. I believe these guy was one of the one that get hit badly, he as since move on. Many of us may have learn 1 or 2 things from his experience of giving bad people second chance though. Pls don't get wrong on second chances, one just have to be very sure if that person really deserves that opportunity.

Sir QC1 should not really be blamed for giving somebody a second chance. It was so unfortunate that the person given the second chance decided to blow it and was even bold enough to come here and be 'making a mockery of him' and even using his own build to taunt him.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2016
Qc1:
[b]I would like to believe that most of us here reside in USA/Canada/UK/Europe. While others are either those that come here to do business with us by enlighten us on how/where/what/when on most subjects relating to properties/materials/contractions. Yet, there are others that come here to learn something new through posts of exchanging ideas between the two groups and more importantly they do contributes too because they live in naija and they know the current price of building materials too. By doing this, we all appreciate each other and it’s a win-win thread for all of us.

To my diaspora brothers and sisters, I know how much time and energy it takes to go out there and get the “9 to 5” thing out of 24/7, especially this time of the year when it’s freezing like Antarctica. No doubt the hustle is real, painful and long thus, nobody wants to their “papers” down the drain. I get that!

What I don’t get though, is why we made this forum our second home, after a long painful day at work, only to come here to misbehaves. Y’all c’mon menh! …don’t be telling me y’all ain’t gotta berra thang to do? We’ve fished out the maggots on here already, moreover, by now we all know who is who? Thirdly, I’m sure we will not hesitate to stop future fraud on here before it even commenced. We really should clap for ourselves and move on! Why? The fraudster amongst us is apprehended and now facing the music. Why can’t we just go back to do what we used enjoy? The same thing that brought all of us here! We represent the civilized amongst us buy yet acting uncivilized! Let’s sheath our swords already and move on! Trust me, I should know. I’ve lost a lot by conducting a business with someone I met here. But to God be the Glory, moving on have pushed me to higher level in life.

Let’s stop this behavior already. We are men. If I want to read about boys dissing one another, I will go to the front page. Most of us here are grown-ups, more importantly; the leaners come here to learn. Let’s keep it that way.
To my engineers/builders here, you need to do more by quickly identify the bad eggs here before a business is transacted. If things continue to go like this trust me, it will affect your family directly or indirectly because even though we hustle abroad, yours begins here. You don’t sh!t in where you eat! Now please, don’t get me wrong, we know the good ones among you, but you need to do more to protect your business here. Please protect our investments too. We thank you for your enlightenments on building talks.
To others, we are sorry! We will stop these bad behaviors ASAP and get back to why we are here again.
Let’s move on![/b]
Ibukun ni fun olulaja

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 4:17pm On Dec 09, 2016
QC1, thats a nice one.

Let us all move on....as suggested.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2016
segcymoor:

Ibukun ni fun olulaja

You show face when Olulaja came.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2016
lastpage:

[b]Aside the issue of "weight" raised by Spyder, you should also be aware that when it comes to Plumbing and Conduit elelctirc wiring, 6" Blocks with holes gives you more flexibility as it can be "easily and delicately" chiselled/troughing (despite its small width) and the pipes placed inside.
Same cannot be said of solid 6" blocks and the process of trying to create the same troughs in such blocks to lay pipes, will incur a lot of vibration which will eventually affect the stability of your walls.

That is one if the reason they are used for fences, because it does not need much, if any piping at all, ...so less troughing.
(Plumbers and Electricians in the house can buttress my point)

In terms of stability, the solid 6" Block does not provide any extra stability for your building, rather it adds weight!
The reason l say this is that such stability is achieved only when the 'depth' of the Block is a certain proportion of the Length and breath and if you notice, the 6" Hollow blocks tend to be fatter (depth) than the solid flat blocks.

Also, when you consider the way we lay blocks here, you will notice that the hollow 6" Block becomes more stable as the Mixed cement/Mortar enters into the cavities (holes within the block), providing added grip as a result of more friction, than when it is just on a flat surface of a 6" solid block.

Let me conclude by issuing a caveat: The above scenario changes when you use a 9" solid block as this provides the needed depth to achieve the same stability or even more, compared to a 9" hollow block.

My opinion is that you save yourself some stress and money, mould 6" hollow blocks and they are as good as any, as long as the sand used is not in excess (32 blocks to a bag, maximum). You will be saving on mortar mix during block work, if you are using 6" hollow Blocks. [/b]

My 5cents.

Lastpage!
Thanks a lot for fully explaining some of the points sir Spyder made. I will use 6 solid for the fence and hollow for the building. 30/32 per bag.
I appreciate everyone here for contributing positively in helping us take this bold steps towards owning a home. I am now moving into this project confidently and will ask relevant questions at every stage.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 09, 2016
Hello

Please what can cause a pumping machine to stop pumping after few minutes of starting? Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:26pm On Dec 09, 2016
Truthinlife:

Thanks a lot for fully explaining some of the points sir Spyder made. I will use 6 solid for the fence and hollow for the building. 30/32 per bag.
I appreciate everyone here for contributing positively in helping us take this bold steps towards owning a home. I am now moving into this project confidently and will ask relevant questions at every stage.

Just a quick one, I did use 6 Inch Solid for my build though foundation and downstairs and after decking I'm using 6 inches hollow to reduce weight upstairs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:35pm On Dec 09, 2016
back2sender:

Great post, well explained!
Seems we are having our lost LP back, this how we Use to have it back in the days.

STFU! The only lost soul here is YOU!

Just keep quiet and heed QC-1's advice.

Sad that no one is calling you to order now......

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2016
Truthinlife:

Its always a pleasure, to be of use to someone.
Wish you the wisdom and grace to finish it on time.

Ask, ....and you will receive, Seek,....and you shall find!

Go for it.

Lastpage!

PS: if you area is a dry land area (as in very dry), you can save money by siting and digging your Borehole NOW.
The water will come-in handy all the way and after you finish building. It will pay for itself before you even move-n.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:28pm On Dec 09, 2016
twinskenny:
So am installing cctv on this building in ibadan.. And was told by the old man who happens to be the architect that hollow block was used as decking.. Surprisingly it was so... How did they achieve that?

My Grand Dada's house was built with same tech.Still standing circa 1970
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:53pm On Dec 09, 2016
Truthinlife:
I wouldn't know if this question have lbeen asked before, so pardon me.
I believe it's a general practice to use 6 inch solid block in fencing our homes; is there any risk or harm if I use same 6 inch solid to build a two or three bedroom bungalow house as against using 6 inch hollow. Pls don't chastise me, it's an innocent question.

There is no harm or risk using either 6 inch hollow or solid to build a Bungalow but the same can't be said for a duplex reasons been that the sizing of structural members like beam and column will not be effective.

Building with 6'' solid is ideal for bungalows because it can easily carry the light roof load that the building will carry expecially when such house is been built on a land with good engineering properties.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:57pm On Dec 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Just a quick one, I did use 6 Inch Solid for my build though foundation and downstairs and after decking I'm using 6 inches hollow to reduce weight upstairs.

Good one, though it frightened me to see a six inch block been used for a building carrying a suspended floor because the columns and beam that will carry the suspended floor may not have adequate width to withstand the load that will be coming from slab.

Though, since the load have been determined an estimated by the engineer that design the building, I am confident the wall together with the columns can carry the house.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2016
twinskenny:

Using hollow block for decking is not remarkable.... The '' hollow block '' there is not the load carrying member of the decking but a concrete volume reducer.

The major structural member carrying all the load there is the '' rib beam'' a small strip of beam running perpendicular to the hollow block layers,

Such slab/decking is called ribbed slab (when rib is provided only one way) or waffle slab (when rib is provided both ways)

Here is a similar method of slab construction but this time the hollow block is replaced with a polystyrene

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:56pm On Dec 09, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Good one, though it frightened me to see a six inch block been used for a building carrying a suspended floor because the columns and beam that will carry the suspended floor may not have adequate width to withstand the load that will be coming from slab.

Though, since the load have been determined an estimated by the engineer that design the building, I am confident the wall together with the columns can carry the house.
Yes true that, I recon that was something that could go wrong if my base was not solid ground.Haven said that I also decided to have a beam on top each wall just B4 the slab anchored to all extended starter bars.I think resting the slab on the pillars +walls would distribute the weight evenly.(Plans of my Archi friend).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 6:01am On Dec 10, 2016
My plan after the decking was to use 9 inches for all external walls and 6inches for internal walls. 9 inches for external walls because i want some space to play with for the doors, burglar proof and windows when fixing it.
If not i May just Use 6inches all tru, i have boku on ground.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 7:01am On Dec 10, 2016
Please does anyone know the current price of 3000 liters GP tank? I need to buy one asap and want to know the current market price. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 9:00am On Dec 10, 2016
lastpage:

Its always a pleasure, to be of use to someone.
Wish you the wisdom and grace to finish it on time.

Ask, ....and you will receive, Seek,....and you shall find!

Go for it.

Lastpage!

PS: if you area is a dry land area (as in very dry), you can save money by siting and digging your Borehole NOW.
The water will come-in handy all the way and after you finish building. It will pay for itself before you even move-n.
Thank you so much;
It's around Agbara estate... Do you know the area... any info or things your brother should know?. Please I beg again; I am trying to gather as much info as I can, to avoid any ugly experiences; don't mean to be a pest.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 9:01am On Dec 10, 2016
Does anyone have an idea how C of Os are renewed on expiration of the original 99 year lease conferred by the government in issuance of the C of O?

Please share if you know.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:00am On Dec 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:

There is no harm or risk using either 6 inch hollow or solid to build a Bungalow but the same can't be said for a duplex reasons been that the sizing of structural members like beam and column will not be effective.

Building with 6'' solid is ideal for bungalows because it can easily carry the light roof load that the building will carry expecially when such house is been built on a land with good engineering properties.

True.
According to the pictures, the columns I can see are 150mmx150mm instead of the usual 225x225mm or 225x300mm.. But if the loads are calculated well enough, and enough structural members are put in place to compensate, there should be no problems..

@QC1 Nagode sir..

@Ericko2k2 it's quite remarkable that your foundation block wall is 5-6 blocks high and didnt experience any stress / cracking while filling with Laterite.

@mufutau55 Hajj, well done sir..

And to all my Ogas @spyder880 @fastshipping @lastpage @3strikes @back2sender @ericko2k2 @jossy26 @segcymoor I guess this is welcome back!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Luongthanh: 10:10am On Dec 10, 2016
I supplier the stone Granite from Vietnam to oversea.
The information as the following:
- Comodity : Granite Stone
Order by request specifications
- Present have specifications: 30 * 10 * 10
                                  20 * 10 * 10
                                  30 * 30 * 6
                                  60 * 30 * 6
                                  30 * 15 * 15
- Order FOB Price: $ 0.99 / $ 0.7 / $ 1.75 / $ 3 / $ 1.99/ Square Meters.
 Please, contact me  : +841665351358 ( Whatapps / viber / Wechat /Line / Zalo )
Email: thanhluong890@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Luongthanh: 10:11am On Dec 10, 2016
Hi Everyone!
I am supplier in Viet Nam i supply Cassava to your company, i have CASSAVA FRESH AND CASSAVA DRY at here? Can we supply price FOB and EXWORK to you?
- Cassava or manioc, names in other languages: cassava, tapioca, yuca, mandioca, manioc, maniok, singkong, ubi kayu, aipim, macaxeir, kappa, maracheeni) as food crops can eat perennial tubers.

- Shelled dry chips (cassava slice): shell used as feed for livestock, as ethanol as biofuel.

- No shells dry chips (cassava chip): no shells used as feed for cattle, as ethanol as biofuel, making starch. Also cassava slices also has many uses in industrial processing such as paper and food.

The cassava is a starchy vegetable, also known as manioc, which is grown in tropical climates such as VietNam. Based on our finding the cassava is planted 550,6 thousand hectares  in VietNam .
Please, contact me  : +841665351358 ( Whatapps / viber / Wechat /Line / Zalo )
Email: thanhluong890@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inaiduna(m): 10:38am On Dec 10, 2016
Well stated.

adanny01:

To properly design a solar back up system, one needs a lot of info from the client. The design is a hypothetical process but the equipment quality is key to achieving the design.

If i were to make the plan for you, i would need to know the average grid supply time in your location. I also need to know your geographical location to estimate the amount of sun rays as this is not same every where. The client also has to provide the least back up time he expects, some want 12hrs others 24, 48hrs etc. The load description has to be more detailed such as LED TV, LCD Tv, Plasma TV or cathode ray - LED being the least power saving and cathode ray the worst. A 40" LED could consume as little as 50w while a 40" plasma as bad as 200w. So it makes a difference to know the specifics. Ultimately, your budget needs to be put in mind during the design.

A solar back up system is like a desert trip, you have to properly estimate the quantity of water to carry. Too much, and you have yourself a deadly burden, too little and your life is at risk. When you get stuck in the desert, you manage your resources.

With the current rate of equipment, N1million wont give you a system that you will be comfortable with AC and fridge together. So with 1m forget the AC, 2m is workable but 3m is convenient. The more M's the better. The basics for design is choosing an inverter/charger and the number and types of battery. Every thing boils down to 2 things, back up time and charging time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 12:31pm On Dec 10, 2016
adanny01:

To properly design a solar back up system, one needs a lot of info from the client. The design is a hypothetical process but the equipment quality is key to achieving the design.

LED TV, LCD Tv, Plasma TV or cathode ray - LED being the least power saving and cathode ray the worst. A 40" LED could consume as little as 50w while a 40" plasma as bad as 200w. So it makes a difference to know the specifics. Ultima

Excellent piece.

At bolded i think you meant ..most power saving , or least power consuming

"...but the equipment quality is key...." ... Very Very Important
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
KolaShangOne:

True.
According to the pictures, the columns I can see are 150mmx150mm instead of the usual 225x225mm or 225x300mm.. But if the loads are calculated well enough, and enough structural members are put in place to compensate, there should be no problems..

@QC1 Nagode sir..

@Ericko2k2 it's quite remarkable that your foundation block wall is 5-6 blocks high and didnt experience any stress / cracking while filling with Laterite.

And to all my Ogas @spyder880 @fastshipping @lastpage @3strikes @back2sender @ericko2k2 @jossy26 @segcymoor I guess this is welcome back!

The problem with having a very thin column 150 x 150mm is slenderness which may developed as a result of the section.

The best bet when building using 6'' solid block is to flat the block out, instead of 6''x 9'' 18'' we can have 9'' x 6'' 18''*where the thickness is replaced with 9''
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 1:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
Please my people need your help here.
How much is 0.45 gauge aluminium. Is it per square metre its sold. Attached is the quotation and a picture of the house

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
KolaShangOne:

True.

@QC1 Nagode sir..

Yesooo if QC1 can forgive and forget who am I.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:48pm On Dec 10, 2016
@KolaShangOne
@abdulwastecx
I think the reason my foundation did not give in is amongst one of this reason .
1.filled with condemned sharp sand not mud
2 No ramming as the sand settled naturally
3 6 inches solid block is more solid than 6 inches hollow block at the sides
4 fairly deep foundation
5 Even ground
6 Did not need water to settle the filling
7 No ramming
What do U recon sirs?? .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:03pm On Dec 10, 2016
back2sender:
How much is 0.45 gauge aluminium. Is it per square metre its sold. Attached is the quotation and a picture of the house
I don't think it is 2much bro.if U can afford that plz fire down .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The problem with having a very thin column 150 x 150mm is slenderness which may developed as a result of the section.

The best bet when building using 6'' solid block is to flat the block out, instead of 6''x 9'' 18'' we can have 9'' x 6'' 18''*where the thickness is replaced with 9''

Touche
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
back2sender:

Your installer is a honest guy..

(1) (2) (3) ... (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: rehirere70 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.