Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (564) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391291 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:17am On Dec 12, 2016
greenermodels:
if you buy that Crane in Nigeria online and they failed to deliver, you won't do squat.
thats was my point, no re assurance and protection.But if I bought it Online with my credit card say from the US or Uk to ship to Nigeria and fail to deliver then Im covered

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by wanaj0: 11:23am On Dec 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

from the pictures i have seen so far, i think the following things may be responsible
1. the section of the truss member may not be adequate for the intended load that the roof will carry
2. the center connection where all the steel truss may not be properly design

Is resonance/vibrations taking into consideration in designs in Nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2016
wanaj0:

Is resonance/vibrations taking into consideration in designs in Nigeria?

Yes, resonance/vibration are taking into consideration for structures use for factory, religious center, concert all, building closer to heavy traffic road or rail road.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
erico2k2:

I heard the contractor is going to be arrested, order from the state governor.

The contractor should not shoulder all the blame.
For a project of that magnitude, there should be the structural engineers that design the steel structure,

A consultant engineer that check if the design is adequate to carry the intended load,

A material engineer that check if the materials meet up to the mechanical and chemical properties specify by the designer.

A competent team of the contractor to build/fabricate the truss based on the design and under strict supervision of the consultant.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:39pm On Dec 12, 2016
lastpage:

True talk Bro!
When we hang iron trusses the way l see it in that picture by @diordaves, it has to be based on serious Engineering calculations relating to "Moments and Forces" (Physiscs!) and any faulty calculations may result in the forces tilting in unexpected direction, with unintended consequences.

We are waiting and watching what they would tell us, if there is no cover-up. undecided

Lastpage!

You are absolutely right about the statement above....

People get away with lots of poor construction when using reinforced concrete because moment/force can easily be transfer, the span of the members are not that large, structural configuration not that critical but when it comes to steel structures, any poor handling of materials, lack of proper engineering judgement of type of connection, poor assumptions of quality of materials will have serious detrimental effects.

The church structure failure may be due to poor choice of section( may be instead of using equal angle the engineer decide to use Hollow section ), assuming higher steel grade than the one use for the structures, undervalue of the intended dead load of the structure, undervalued of the prevailing life load (expecially wind load), not taking into consideration the vibration due to Christian shouting and dancing inside the auditorium....

So many factors can go wrong in such a situation, that is why even the best and most experienced structural engineers have problem with steel design in this our clime

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by greenermodels: 8:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

People get away with lots of poor construction when using reinforced concrete because moment/force can easily be transfer, the span of the members are not that large, structural configuration not that critical but when it comes to steel structures, any poor handling of materials, lack of proper engineering judgement of type of connection, poor assumptions of quality of materials will have serious detrimental effects.

The church structure failure may be due to poor choice of section( may be instead of using equal angle the engineer decide to use Hollow section ), assuming higher steel grade than the one use for the structures, undervalue of the intended dead load of the structure, undervalued of the prevailing life load (expecially wind load), not taking into consideration the vibration due to Christian shouting and dancing inside the auditorium....

So many factors can go wrong in such a situation, that is why even the best and most experienced structural engineers have problem with steel design in this our clime
I'm sorry to play the devils advocate but we should also accept that structures fail due to unknown reasons, especially in a case like this where the local professionals are still not adept at steel structures. all i can say is let there be an immediate investigation, i like what you said about vibrations originating from sources such as from music and dancing during worship. i once read half way through a book titled"why structures fail"and i realised that most modern structural failures are from steel structures especially steel roofs regardless of the fame or nationality of the designers and constructors.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:39pm On Dec 12, 2016
What I will like to know, after the investigations is;

1. Did the building pass through the government specified approval process before the house was started?

2. Did the contractors/engineers/consultants/materials engineers follow the building plans to the letter?

3. Was the building adequately supervised by relevant authorities as the building was being constructed?

4. Who approved the building after construction as "fit/safe enough" for human habitation before they started using it for the church program to shelter hundreds of people?

Am asking all these because I have seen situations where the government totally ignores a building construction from start to finish. I think this is wrong. To be proactive, supervision should be intense at the construction stage, and if for any reason of negligence, the builders and the government supervisors deserve equal blame/punishment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bugmenot: 8:53pm On Dec 12, 2016

@Spyder880
Pls where can I get first aluminum long span aluminum roofing sheets as close to Onitsha as possible? Any idea if First Aluminum has an outlet in that area?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:04pm On Dec 12, 2016
bugmenot:

@Spyder880
Pls where can I get first aluminum long span aluminum roofing sheets as close to Onitsha as possible? Any idea if First Aluminum has an outlet in that area?

First aluminium factory is in PH. But you cannot buy directly from there as they sell only flat sheets in big coils to other aluminium companies who buy and now cut and corrugate.

Every aluminium company like Eastchase, Andy young and others can get you First aluminium products. Ask a roofer based in Onitsha and he will contact someone in the area.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bugmenot: 9:14pm On Dec 12, 2016

Thanks Spyder. Can you recommend a good and reliable roofer in that area?

spyder880:

First aluminium factory is in PH. But you cannot buy directly from there as they sell only flat sheets in big coils to other aluminium companies who buy and now cut and corrugate.

Every aluminium company like Eastchase, Andy young and others can get you First aluminium products. Ask a roofer based in Onitsha and he will contact someone in the area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
bugmenot:

Thanks Spyder. Can you recommend a good and reliable roofer in that area?

I will try, let me call someone.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 7:25am On Dec 13, 2016
spyder880:
What I will like to know, after the investigations is;

1. Did the building pass through the government specified approval process before the house was started?

2. Did the contractors/engineers/consultants/materials engineers follow the building plans to the letter?

3. Was the building adequately supervised by relevant authorities as the building was being constructed?

4. Who approved the building after construction as "fit/safe enough" for human habitation before they started using it for the church program to shelter hundreds of people?

Am asking all these because I have seen situations where the government totally ignores a building construction from start to finish. I think this is wrong. To be proactive, supervision should be intense at the construction stage, and if for any reason of negligence, the builders and the government supervisors deserve equal blame/punishment.

Thanks Spyder!

Even if we, as a people with a poor history of "adhering to protocol", should neglect the first three important questions you asked, the fourth one as bolded, should NEVER be neglected.

We seem to under-estimate the amount of force that can be generated, when many people (even a hundred), match or dance IN SYNC.

When l was growing-up as a kid in the early 70's, l witnessed a primary school's first floor collapse. They were having a Christmas party and children and parents were having a good time when suddenly, the floor came down. A few people, unfortunately lost their lives.
I was amazed as a kid, at how such a strong building, that have been standing for years, could just collapse (This what in the 'age' when things were done accordingly).

But l got my answer, about 7yrs later, when l was in my higher forms, of secondary school.
We studied "Resonance and Moments" in Physics and we were made to understand how Soldiers were defeated by luring them just to "match over a bridge", in approaching the enemy.
Our Teacher taught us that "When Soldiers match in Uniform steps" as is customary (something like waltzing to the rhythm and beats of music that is obtainable in a church service or party dancing), it is able to generate a combined force that would bring down ANYTHING SUSPENDED, no matter the materials used..... except if the calculation in that build has taken such force into consideration!
Even till today, Soldiers never match across a bridge in steps. They usually 'break steps'

A few Churches have gone down to this simple mistake of logic.
A few may still go down but the builders and Owner-Pastors dont seem to be aware or care?

I am somebody that likes the idea of "over-flow" in my private builds (l love gazing at the stars in open roof) but one thing l will never allow is for anyone to have even the simplest assembly, like a child dedication, on my overflows.
I hope those of us doing DIY's are taking note: No Party or anything that may generate "uniform steps" on the Decking please.

I am made to understand that the Church building was rushed so as to accommodate the crowning of the Bishop in such "befitting" edifice hence it may not have waited for it to be certified as "fit or safe for such purpose".

Like they say, "Every disaster is a lesson-learned for the discerning mind".

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 7:28am On Dec 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

At the bolded!

I salute you Sir!

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:34pm On Dec 13, 2016
I saw a thread where the said Pastor claims his leg may be amputated as a result of the incident and l felt sorry for him losing his leg even when others had lost their lives.

But on closer observation, l was aghast at what l saw!

I am not a medical personnel but looking at his leg, as shown below, l am sure this man is taking people for a ride.

Nothing do that leg! No swelling at all, for a crushed leg? shocked shocked

But why lie that he has such a serious injury to his leg, to warrant amputation?

Just tying bandage to his own leg, to feign injury.

Hmm... dearis God sha.
undecided undecided

Lastpage!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 7:03pm On Dec 13, 2016
lastpage:
I saw a thread where the said Pastor claims his leg may be amputated as a result of the incident and l felt sorry for him losing his leg even when others had lost their lives.

But on closer observation, l was aghast at what l saw!

I am not a medical personnel but looking at his leg, as shown below, l am sure this man is taking people for a ride.

Nothing do that leg! No swelling at all, for a crushed leg? shocked shocked

But why lie that he has such a serious injury to his leg, to warrant amputation?

Just tying bandage to his own leg, to feign injury.

Hmm... dearis God sha.
undecided undecided

Lastpage!
l listened to him live online today with repeated broadcast all through today from my base abroad on Planet FM 101 Uyo, Akwa Ibom.........>>>>>>>http://www.planet101fm.ng/......, he was interviewed by an OAP, he didnt mention about the amputation of the leg, he was saying that he sympathize with all those that died and that he will come on air to talk to people when he recovers.

They also interviewed the state commissioner of information who was also a victim from his hospital bed, the commissioner said, the collapsed building started from the back but that himself, the governor and his aides where sitting in-front, he also said that the ADC to the governor actually pushed the governor to the ground or else there was a heavy concrete that landed on the exact spot where the governor was sitting and if not the swift intervention of his ADC, the concrete would have landed on the governor, he said he counted about 23 people dead and been taken to the ambulance before he was able to pull himself out of the wreckage.

He also confirmed that the media blew the whole incident out of proportion as regard the number of casualties , it was a sad incident and l think all those responsible directly and indirectly for the fiasco should be investigated and punished appropriately sad sad.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 7:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
Structures collapse for one or more of these reasons:
1. Human error/incompetence
2. Defective Materials
3. Corruption
4. Unforseen circumstances.

In the West, 70-80% of structural failures are usually a result of no. 4

In Africa 80-95% of such failures are the product of nos 1 to 3

If a team of seasoned forensic engineers are sent to that site, you'll be amazed at the discoveries that'll be made.

Top on the list of causative factors in Nigeria is substandard materials, We have Zero quality control, and a culture of compromise. If you need an ordinary polythene bag you'll have to go out of your way, to get a good one otherwise it's crap. That's how much things have deteriorated

Correctly sized beam selection is the first step towards correct structural design. When a design is based upon expected mechanical properties of a specific size and those properties cannot be brought to bear because a manufacturer or supplier or contractor got greedy.... that's a recipe for disaster. But this is assuming that the design wasn't flawed to start with.
Now even if the design was flawed and the materials defective, regulatory bodies & functions exist to ensure conformance to standards. but No!! ...corruption is the order of the day.
Steel structures should be tested at every stage of construction, up till completion, a good QA/QC team with welding & fitup inspectors etc actively participating.
But we want to cut corners.

More complex structures than this have been designed and built that have withstood tremors more serious than acoustics & vibrations from humans
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by POINEERINDUSTRY: 11:58am On Dec 14, 2016
Chekitaut:
You too much, no wonder....
how much is ur product? is it in bags?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by POINEERINDUSTRY: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2016
[quote author=bixton post=50263411]. I quoted you when you said " Screeding is used to correct ERRORS on cement plastering". [/a

are you the one make it or you import it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 1:13pm On Dec 14, 2016
POINEERINDUSTRY:

how much is ur product? is it in bags?
I deal on Granite, Cement, Sharp sand, Iron rod, Vibrated blocks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:36pm On Dec 14, 2016
No more abuse and insults and this thread just went almost dead?
Is it that people cherish the shenanigans, more?

BTW: Tomorrow is 15th Dec, at the Igbosere Mag. Court.

"People concerned" should please not fail to give us Updates of what transpired.

Latspage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:03pm On Dec 14, 2016
lastpage:
No more abuse and insults and this thread just went almost dead?
Is it that people cherish the shenanigans, more?

BTW: Tomorrow is 15th Dec, at the Igbosere Mag. Court.

"People concerned" should please not fail to give us Updates of what transpired.

Latspage!

There is no more rancor on this thread because the person who was causing the distraction on this thread has not come on this thread for 3-4 days. He has no meaningful thing to say except Brabus this and Brabus that. What an 1diot he is.....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:27pm On Dec 14, 2016
FastShipping:

There is no more rancor on this thread because the person who was causing the distraction on this thread has not come on this thread for 3-4 days. He has no meaningful thing to say except Brabus this and Brabus that. What an 1diot he is.....
Baba you Don start ohh as peace dey so make we leave am like that no insult no need to call any body idiot . If not it will start again.I'm sure someone with something to add will soon pop up.me I pot to my papa village since the storm started in PH . grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:36pm On Dec 14, 2016
erico2k2:

Baba you Don start ohh as peace dey so make we leave am like that no insult no need to call any body idiot . If not it will start again.I'm sure someone with something to add will soon pop up.me I pot to my papa village since the storm started in PH . grin

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:12am On Dec 15, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:18am On Dec 15, 2016
Fastshiping is a fraudster!...Shipping stolen cars since 2001 grin grin grin grin

And before anyone mention my Moniker......see who started this again.

@Lastpage call your dog to order. Put the leash back on him.

FastShipping:

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:27am On Dec 15, 2016
3strikes:
Fastshiping is a fraudster!...Shipping stolen cars since 2001 grin grin grin grin

And before anyone mention my Moniker......see who started this again.

@Lastpage call your dog to order. Put the leash back on him.

Who mentioned your moniker? I guess me and your hopeless, mentally sick father and mother started doing fraud together since 2001.

How is your father responding to mental treatment? You haven't been here for few days. You must have been detained at the mental institution with your parents.

Asinwin omo iya werey.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:33am On Dec 15, 2016
Why you come mumu like this?

Anyways tomorrow na the 15th.....one in the cell. Two to go.. grin

Na una cell be that..

FastShipping:

Who mentioned your moniker? I guess me and your hopeless, mentally sick father and mother started doing fraud together since 2001.

How is your father responding to mental treatment? You haven't been here for few days. You must have been detained at the mental institution with your parents.

Asinwin omo iya werey.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:40am On Dec 15, 2016
3strikes:
Why you come mumu like this?

Anyways tomorrow na the 15th.....one in the cell. Two to go.. grin

That picture looks like where they are treating your father and mother for mental illness.

Arindin! It is still paining you since last week when I separated boys from real men.

Go and take care your mother and father in mental institution. I know that has got you busy in the last few days from coming here to sing same song.

Hopeless poor boy who claims they defrauded him but fear for his life to report to the police. You are the real nonentity of a criminal who fear to go to the police because your fraudulent lifestyle will be exposed in a minute.

Why are you so scared to show up at police station to report any crime committed against you?

3strikes father in picture below, 1st from the left. grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:46am On Dec 15, 2016
Bosun aka Brabus didnt owe me a penny. How many times do you need me to tell you this? Am just against his modus operandi...he cant owe me or defraud me...

That is the igbosere cell where ur homeboy is kept...lol. grin grin grin

Fastshipping is a fraud! He runs credit card and tax fraud in the whole of south carolina.

Beware....he ships stolen cars.

FastShipping:

That picture looks like where they are treating your father and mother for mental illness.

Arindin! It is still paining you since last week when I separated boys from real men.

Go and take care your mother and father in mental institution. I know that has got you busy in the last few days from coming here to sing same song.

Hopeless poor boy who claims they defrauded him but fear for his life to report to the police. You are the real nonentity of a criminal who fear to go to the police because your fraudulent lifestyle will be exposed in a minute.

Why are you so scared to show up at police station to report any crime committed against you?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:51am On Dec 15, 2016
[s]
3strikes:
Bosun aka Brabus didnt owe me a penny. How many times do you need me to tell you this? Am just against his modulus operandi...he cant owe me or defraud me...

That is the igbosere cell where ur homeboy is kept...lol. grin grin grin

Fastshipping is a fraud! He runs credit card and tax fraud in the whole of south carolina.

Beware....he ships stolen cars.

[/s]

Arindin grin grin

Stop making yourself look more and more foolish and ridiculous everyday. Everybody knows once you are exposed to be empty, hopeless and stupid, you start accusing people of being thief or fraud. Whereas you keep claiming a crime was committed against you but each time you're told to go to the police is when you start crying like castrated goat and peeing in your pant.

If dem born you well, go and report to the police or just shut up and continue the daily visit you make to mental facility to visit your hopeless mentally ill father and mother.

ExpressBooki
ng
:

Efficiency, Transparency, Trustworthiness and Customer satisfaction are their watchwords. it is always a pleasure doing business with Fast Shipping.
Welcome on board.

tongue tongue tongue

jola263:
Sorry this is coming a month late!!

I remember my uncle was skeptical about using your services and I insisted I will give it a try. Thanks for the constant update right from pick up to delivery.

Delivery was too fast and BOL arrived days before ETA. I remember reading your mail about how my car will arrive the following week and I was a lil confused because I anticpated a delay and I hadn't gotten money for clearing together.... lol

Superb service I will use over and over again!! Thank you

tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:54am On Dec 15, 2016
Fastshipping is a fraud!

FastShipping:
[s][/s]

Arindin grin grin

Stop making yourself look more and more foolish and ridiculous everyday. Everybody knows once you are exposed to be empty, hopeless and stupid, you start accusing people of being thief or fraud. Whereas you keep claiming a crime was committed against you but each time you're told to go to the police is when you start crying like castrated goat and peeing in your pant.

If dem born you well, go and report to the police or just shut up and continue the daily visit you make to mental facility to visit your hopeless mentally ill father and mother.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:57am On Dec 15, 2016
3strikes:
Fastshipping is a fraud!

He must have been committing fraud with your father.

ExpressBooking:
Nice one@ Fast shipping and Calculux. Always reliable. :oNice one@ Fast shipping and Calculux. Always reliable.

Ralphlauren:
It's only fair I give feedback smiley for a job well done.

I used the services of 'fastshipping' to collect my car from the dealership and then ship the car to Tincan Port, Lagos.

Very impressed with the service I received. Communication from "fastshipping" was great too. Responded to emails, answered all my phone calls, sent me all the relevant documentation without having to chase him up for it. . .

Really pleased with the service and i'll most definitely use him again.

jola2603:
Sorry this is coming a month late!!

I remember my uncle was skeptical about using your services and I insisted I will give it a try. Thanks for the constant update right from pick up to delivery.

Delivery was too fast and BOL arrived days before ETA. I remember reading your mail about how my car will arrive the following week and I was a lil confused because I anticpated a delay and I hadn't gotten money for clearing together.... lol

Superb service I will use over and over again!! Thank you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: folmus and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.